Code of Conduct

Default The merchant of Venice

From a trip to Venice, my sister brought me samples of the new line The Merchant of Venice.

http://www.mavive.com/VediMacro/EN/2...CHANTOFVENICE/

(and I think already added to the bn database). The line is sold in a very beautiful old pharmacy, complete with statues, near the la Fenice theatre in Venice. It is produced by brand Mavive, owned by members of the Vidal family (of Pino silvestre fame-though I assume the pino silvestre name is now owned, at least internationally, by other firms).

From the website, it appears the store sells a number of single note eaux (as many old pharmacies do in Italy), and a special line of 6 compositions, the Murano collection. After a quick smelling, most seemed solid but didn't really register. The standout however is Byzantium saffron, a very saffrony oriental. Unusual in that saffron is not very common in western perfumery (likely because of cost), and wherever it is present, it's either in small doses or suggested by other materials (like safraleine). This one instead opens with a realistic smelling saffron, very unusual and very good.

Has anybody else tried the line? I'll be trying my sample over the next few days, and will report if there's anything else notable.

cacio

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: The merchant of Venice

Tried a few while I was Venice in mid-August: Byzantium Saffron, & Asian Inspiration from the new line and Incense Mist and Vetiver Bourbon from another line (can't remember the name) If I remember correctly there were many. They were OK.
    Last edited by hednic; 16th September 2014 at 05:13 AM.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Incense mist and vetiver must be from what the website calls museum collection (ie the single note ones).

cacio

Hmmm, saffron always intrigues me. I may have to look that up at some point. Thanks for the write up Cacio.
    I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.

My Sales Thread - A Collection Purge
    Currently wearing: Great Lady by Evyan

I started wearing some of the samples.
    Byzantium saffron, as said, is unusual in that it has a lot of realistic saffron. As it goes, it shifts more towards the saffron impression of certain light leathery materials (like safraleine), thus resembling some of the smooth, ultrasuede perfumes (but with less leather). Very good.

Asian inspiration opens with herbal and bitter notes, but they don't last long. Soon it turns into a vetiver-sweet amber combo. Very smooth. I like my vetivers dry, so I'm not fond of this. But this will definitely appeal to those who like the style, say, those who like Vetiver Tonka or vetiveryo.

Noble potion opens with a good fresh violet, but then moves into woody-sandalwoody territory with a very smooth and pleasant drydown. Like Tam Dao, but smoother, more sandalwoody, and I'd say more pleasant.

Mandarin carnival starts with a citrusy-mandarin note, then moves into a light-feeling (but long lasting) watery floral, in Ellena's style.

All told, quite smooth and pleasant, and solid, though perhaps nothing really unique (apart from perhaps Byzantium saffron).

cacio

Thanks for sharing your impressions, cacio. They sound lovely indeed. How much do they go for? A pound of flesh?

I don't know for sure, but somehow I remember reading prices that were not too bad for niche, something like eur 80 for 100ml.

cacio

Hello to All.....

i recently went to venice and loved the museum Mocenigo that has the merchant of Venice collection. if anybody is in Venice you must go the exhibit is wonderful. i saw all the bottles of individual scents and i was overwhelmed. when i left the security gave me a sample of Asian inspiration. the next day i wore it around venice and i loved it here is a breakdown...Asian Inspiration by The Merchant of Venice is a Aromatic Green fragrance for women and men. This is a new fragrance. Asian Inspiration was launched in 2013. The fragrance features bitter orange, sage, white cedar extract, vetiver and siam benzoin.
    it definitely looses that initial bitter orange blast, but that makes me want to smell it more. its a nice scent for cooler months in california when we need a bit of grounding and substance.
    i bought my large bottle from the airport, they have their own stand alone shop and they give 20% off to travelers.. so i bought one and a shower gel of asian inspiration.
    xoxo
    j
    Currently wearing: Shalimar by Guerlain

So this is Mavive's attempt at niche. They usually do pretty awful drugstore level stuff and misguided fashion brand fragrances that never seem to go anywhere, at least internationally (Replay, Pal Zileri). Smelling Asian Inspiration right now, which is neither in any way Asian - nor particularly inspiring, as one would expect from a line of several dozen fragrances cobbled together in a few years. Powdery, peppery, herbal green, more of a men's thing; actually more of an air freshener than a perfume, come to think of it. The marketing angle is clever, though.

more hype than substance, they all perform poorly...