Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default $600 for 50 ml most expensive niche?

Just joined BN recently mainly due to my wife and I being huge Serge Lutens fans. Received an e-mail from Surrender to Chance quoting the new release L'incindiare priced at $600 for 50 ml. Assuming the quote as accurate does that make this scent record breaking? I know hard core Basenoters will know. Can't imagine any fragrance worth shelling out those kind of $$$$. Thoughts?
    Currently wearing: Bal d'Afrique by Byredo

Default Re: $600 for 50 ml most expensive niche?

I'm not sure, but I think it's named for the effect it has on one's pocketbook.

Is that the price STC are quoting to buy from them?

If that's the case, the actual price of a bottle will be around the 200 Euro mark, I'd wager.

No. Roja Dove has extraits that cost more. And Amouage attars (now discontinued) were higher too.
    1. Epic Man by Amouage (29 wears)
    2. Leather Oud by Christian Dior (27 wears)
    3. M7 by Yves Saint Laurent (22 wears)
    4. Oud Imperial (black) by Perris Monte Carlo (21 wears)
    5. Russian Tea Ritual by Masque (17 wears)
    6. Fate Man by Amouage (17 wears)

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
    Currently wearing: Journey Man by Amouage

Basenotes Plus

It's also $600 on Barney's NY website.

Overpriced for sure. Still, not record breaking. Excluding the particular editions with special collectors bottles, JAR, for instance, is more expensive. JAR eclair goes for almost $1,000 for 30 ml (eur 650 or so in Paris), and I think most of the line would be above $600. It's a parfum concentration, though (as if), and I actually bought some of them.

cacio

Dependent

Clive Christian No 1 is $865 for 50ml
    Stèphane Humbert Lucas Ô hira $825 for 50ml

Both of these I could see myself purchasing in the future
    Seasonal rotation:

1861 Naxos by Xerjoff
    Fetish Pour Homme by Roja Dove
    Amber Absolute by Tom Ford
    Royal English Leather by Creed
    Chypre Palatin by MDCI
    Currently wearing: Green Irish Tweed by Creed

Quote Originally Posted by CapriDog View Post
    It's also $600 on Barney's NY website.
    Ok, cheers for that, CD

EDIT - I remember Barney's really bent the US customer over when they started stocking bell jars.
    Last edited by timdoeswell; 18th September 2014 at 04:14 AM.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by timdoeswell View Post
    Ok, cheers for that, CD

EDIT - I remember Barney's really bent the US customer over when they started stocking bell jars.
    Interesting.... and that was probably something in the past. It seems that the current pricing for the bell jars at Barneys is the same as what offered on Serge Lutens online.

Reside in McLean, Va. Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by Nj guy View Post
    Assuming the quote as accurate does that make this scent record breaking? I know hard core Basenoters will know. Can't imagine any fragrance worth shelling out those kind of $$$$. Thoughts?
    Nope. Most expensive that I am aware of from personal experience (a gift from my eldest son) is Clive Christian No.1 Concentrated Pure Parfum Limited to 1,000 bottles yearly - 30ml in Lead Crystal bottle for $5,000 US
    Last edited by hednic; 18th September 2014 at 05:32 AM.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Nope. Most expensive that I am aware of from personal experience (a gift from my eldest son) is Clive Christian No.1 Concentrated Pure Parfum Limited to 1,000 bottles yearly - 30ml in Lead Crystal bottle for $5,000 US
    If we're talking about the juice only (you could stick a diamond on a bottle of Brut, but it'd still be a bottle of Brut ) Roja Dove and JAR would have to be up there. Plus, of course, made-to-measure fumes from the likes of Guerlain. Still, one has to wonder about the law of diminishing returns when excellent scents are available for considerably less.

At some point it simply becomes conspicuous consumption for the 1%. That's ok. Us Plebians don't need it. So some thoughts and calculations...

30mL costs $5000. That works out to $630,833 per gallon. If you have a flex fuel car, which will run on perfume, and that car gets 40mpg it would only cost $15,770 per mile. I think I will walk! LOL.

No offense intended to anyone that can afford to buy such expensive things. I am just setting here as vacation started an hour ago and my mind started thinking weird thoughts. Of course nobody would do such a thing!

I will be in San Francisco in 36 hours and will certainly buy something expensive...thinking maybe a ByKilian.
    1. Epic Man by Amouage (29 wears)
    2. Leather Oud by Christian Dior (27 wears)
    3. M7 by Yves Saint Laurent (22 wears)
    4. Oud Imperial (black) by Perris Monte Carlo (21 wears)
    5. Russian Tea Ritual by Masque (17 wears)
    6. Fate Man by Amouage (17 wears)

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
    Currently wearing: Journey Man by Amouage

Basenotes Plus

$120 for a 10 ml split? Ouch! I'd rather get a Chanel extrait at that price.
    Currently wearing: Esencia Loewe by Loewe

Basenotes Plus

Roja Dove "Roja" retails at £2500 for 100ml (4085$)

Too rich for my blood

I don't care about these perfumes.

Who cares what somebody wants to charge? There is no obligation to purchase...

Of cars, there are Ferrari and there are Skoda.... both pass muster as transport, the tyres on both are still rubber (as far as i know) but the price difference is vast. Same thing.....
    Currently wearing: Yendi by Roberto Capucci

yeah but a ferrari sounds nice and gets more girls LMAO!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Emoe View Post
    yeah but a ferrari sounds nice and gets more girls LMAO!!!!!
    That's what I meant.... lol. Same essential function and structure basics as a skoda but with much more panache...

(Humble apologies to Ferrari for even mentioning them in the same sentence)

Haaahahaaa! Everyone at Ferrari is reading this thinking 'skoda? Them Germans own all the cool car makers!'

I can understand when oud oil is absurdly expensive. It's natural. It's a depleting resource.

Western perfumes costing an arm & a leg for synthetic lab made materials are clearly targeting a certain segment of the market that values exclusivity. There's no value in itself.

Nothing wrong with that.

You want, you buy. You don't, walk awuy (had to make rhyme).
    for swap/sale:

Attar OUD

1600 USD for 15ml

ATTAR-OUD-AL-KHALOUD.jpg

The price is as the creator wishes and for the price of their own skill. If others agree, and buy it, then it is worth it and if they don't, then that is no matter. The base value of the produce is of no consequence.

Two canvas's are the same with paint on. The produce is the same thing and the same base ingredient value, but one might be a Rembrandt and the other an equally talented, but unknown painter.

I'm not sure a cost judgement can ever be made between a good perfume and an expensive perfume (as long as the perfumes are not actually rubbish). You buy it if you love it and that is that. The personal taste and the personal wallet size determines if it is worth it.

I'd rather have a Skoda than a Ferrari.

I'm not fussy.... lol

Collector's editions 2014:
    La Petite Robe Noire Parfum comes in a black Baccarat crystal bottle with an embroidered flower ornament designed by Macon & Lesquoy. 250 ml Parfum, 12.000 €. Images by stylisticfr on Instagram and Guerlain.

Exclusive vintage reissue of Coque d'Or
    OCTOBER 2014. This year, Guerlain presents an exclusive reissue of the historic perfume Coque d'Or. It comes in a large 190 ml size of the original bottle from 1937, the so-called bow tie bottle, made of cobalt blue Baccarat crystal and gilded by hand. The box is a replica of the original presentation as well, featuring a minimalist Art Deco look with a straw marquetry effect, typical of its designer, Jean-Michel Franck who also decorated the beauty institute on the first floor of Maison Guerlain in 1939. The reissued Coque d'Or has been produced in 29 numbered pieces, each for a price of 17.000 €. This makes it Guerlain's most expensive vintage edition to date.

And one more...Was posted in another thread in the past but couldn't find it. "Created by famed perfumer Roja Dove engraved with the purchaser's name, a 500 ml release known as Clive Christian No. 1 – Imperial Majesty will set you back approximately $215,000. This fantastic edition comes in a French Baccarat crystal flaçon. According to the source, the bottle is made of, “a material which is so difficult to work with that one of every three attempts breaks during the production process. The neck of the bottle is fashioned after the coronation tiara of the British queen and is made of 18-carat gold inset with a five-carat brilliant-cut diamond. This collar is later engraved with the owner’s name.” This one-of-a-kind bottle is then gently placed into a velvet-lined ebony case with gold and platinum details. Clive Christian No. 1 Perfume Imperial Edition was released in a limited edition of only 10 bottles, of which 5 were stored in the archives. Of course, these can be customized for clients".

Last edited by hednic; 18th September 2014 at 08:24 PM.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    And one more...Was posted in another thread in the past but couldn't find it. "Created by famed perfumer Roja Dove engraved with the purchaser's name, a 500 ml release known as Clive Christian No. 1 – Imperial Majesty will set you back approximately $215,000. This fantastic edition comes in a French Baccarat crystal flaçon. According to the source, the bottle is made of, “a material which is so difficult to work with that one of every three attempts breaks during the production process. The neck of the bottle is fashioned after the coronation tiara of the British queen and is made of 18-carat gold inset with a five-carat brilliant-cut diamond. This collar is later engraved with the owner’s name.” This one-of-a-kind bottle is then gently placed into a velvet-lined ebony case with gold and platinum details. Clive Christian No. 1 Perfume Imperial Edition was released in a limited edition of only 10 bottles, of which 5 were stored in the archives. Of course, these can be customized for clients".

Are you planning on blind buying this?

Quote Originally Posted by Sol invictus View Post
    Are you planning on blind buying this?
    All spoken for.