Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Which David Beckham Frags are worth getting?

Which David Beckham Frags are worth getting?
    I have seen a good few people recommending his frags, some rather highly, it appears if you look past the name the juice itself of some of his frags are quite good.
    Must....smell......Good!!!!

Default Re: Which David Beckham Frags are worth getting?

None of them
    Currently wearing: Royal Mayfair by Creed

Reside in McLean, Va. Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

I have tried one or two (can't even remember the names) Didn't personally care for them.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

I like Signature. Decent aquatic which has decent projectiion and longevity.

Dude, don't buy a David Beckham fragrance. Have some self-respect.

I tried the homme, instinct, instinct sport and the intense one. I didn't mind the intense but the others weren't very good

The only one - Beckham Homme.
    Watch my recent video review of
    Guerlain L'Homme Ideal - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-PW_V1G0aw

Tried a couple, bought none, even at £5 a bottle in a supermarket this week.

Default Which David Beckham Frags are worth getting?

Quote Originally Posted by tefg View Post
    Tried a couple, bought none, even at £5 a bottle in a supermarket this week.
    Have some on special locally for a similar price, which is why I am interested.
    Must....smell......Good!!!!

Instinct isn't bad at all, if it didn't say David Beckham on it it would probably be better received. I don't remember much about any of the others to be honest only know I tried several and only bought the Instinct if that is any indicator. I have zero pride though (or fragrance snobbery) I even like (and have) a couple of the Paris Hilton things

I use Beckham Homme deodorant spray sometimes - it has a Terre D'Hermes vibe to it......

But will not buy any of his fragrances.........
    Regards
    Claus The Danish Viking

Intimately Beckham and Instinct are the best.

Instinct actually surprised me as quite good.

I think Instinct Intense, Intimately and Signature are great scents, and the rest of the line are quite solid too.

Most of the Beckham scents have complexity, good to very good longevity and good projection.

I note that most of the sneering comments above don't actually address the scents themselves.
    Regards,
    Renato

I agree with Renato. The usual case of snobbery on here. Instinct Intense is a good one, along the lines of Polo Black and Double Black, but it's very hard to find now. Got a lot of compliments while wearing this one.

I do think a lot of their stuff now is becoming redundant though, flanker after flanker, but there's a lot from this house that are certainly worth trying. My personal favorite, although longevity sucks, is Intimately Beckham. This is a very warming fragrance, and I haven't quite found anything like it. Inexpensive too, well worth it, but longevity is very bad, at less than 2-3 hours usually before completely gone. David Beckham Homme is ok, follows the TdH vibe, a good alternative to TdH, without the whole rotting fruit smell.

TBH Signature Story was the only one from this house that I flat out didn't like.. too similar to Le Male, just a wanna be.. very cloying fragrance. The original Instinct is ok, but a much more mature dry bitter vetiver note, so if you get this one, brace yourself for it. The vetiver in here is pretty in your face.
    My Ultimate Top 5:

Fahrenheit (1988)
    Le Vetiver Itasca (2010)
    Arpege pour Homme (2005)

Instinct is the one I quite like from his collection.

dont know if you have tried avon mesmerise but i must reccomend it,a great smell,lasts similar to the beckhams and deoderant and eau de toilette for around £15,great buy.

Let me just start by saying I hate the idea of celebrity fragrances, I could never imagined myself liking any celebrity fragrance, all of them I had smelled were a joke.

With that said, I tried Intimately Beckham for Men and was pleasantly suprised. It smelled a bit like Ormonde Man. IMO, Intimately Beckham is a damn good fragrance. Even Luca Turin gives it three (3) stars. I own a bottle and am very happy with it and even recieved 2 compliments from it.

If you are simply not trying this simply because it is a celebrity fragrance then you are missing out. If you have not smelled this or any of his other fragrances then I do not think it is helpful to just assume that his fragrances are bad bc he is a celebrity (just like I wrongly assumed it would be bad bc he is a celebrity).

Renato and The_Cologneist nailed it ����
    Last edited by TheOpiumJuices; 27th September 2014 at 11:42 AM.

Basenotes Institution FSU92grad's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by moleo View Post
    Dude, don't buy a David Beckham fragrance. Have some self-respect.
    Couldn't agree more...Might as well get some avon perfume wipes while you're at it...sheesh
    TOP TEN FOR FALL/WINTER:
    1.) MFK Baccarat Rouge 540
    2.) Frank no. 2 LA
    3.) Creed Viking
    4.) Creed Royal Mayfair
    5.) ADG Profumo
    6.) Lampblack
    7.) New York Intense (parfum)
    8.) Fahrenheit
    9.) Dusita Issara
    10.) Gengis Khan

Honorable Mention: Chanel Sycomore
    Currently wearing: Royal Oud by Creed

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    I think Instinct Intense, Intimately and Signature are great scents, and the rest of the line are quite solid too.

Most of the Beckham scents have complexity, good to very good longevity and good projection.

I note that most of the sneering comments above don't actually address the scents themselves.
    Regards,
    Renato

TBH, If you put most of these celebrity scents in a niche bottle, with a niche brand, and a niche price, added a barnyard sh@t note to it many of the snobs would proclaim it a masterpiece. I used to skip by these fragrances too, but have found that many have extremely pleasant and interesting scents (ck shock, mcgraw, beckham, rocawear) at lowball price points of $10-$20 online. Only problem is VERY poor performance. Its a shame. If Coty et all, could ever amp up some of these to 6-8 hours with modest projection, damn!
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

Quote Originally Posted by SmellyFinger View Post
    TBH, If you put most of these celebrity scents in a niche bottle, with a niche brand, and a niche price, added a barnyard sh@t note to it many of the snobs would proclaim it a masterpiece. I used to skip by these fragrances too, but have found that many have extremely pleasant and interesting scents (ck shock, mcgraw, beckham, rocawear) at lowball price points of $10-$20 online. Only problem is VERY poor performance. Its a shame. If Coty et all, could ever amp up some of these to 6-8 hours with modest projection, damn!
    I think you nailed it SmellyFinger with the performance being the real issue of these type of celeb fragrances. I was able to sample Beckham Homme the other day and I was extremely surprised, to be honest. Now, when you also take into consideration that the noses behind Beckham's more popular fragrances have also had a part in offerings from Amouage, Bond No.9, Comme des Garcons, the Essenze line by Ermenegildo Zegna, Guerlain, along with many more well known designers it's obvious there is no lack of talent. Many of these perfumers, like any artist, embrace the idea creating something with constraints. Obviously, the fragrances aren't going to be of the same quality as more expensive offerings but they're being created for a different market.

The one thing I will say about Beckham's fragrances is that although I don't like many of them, they're not simply sporty aquatics across the board which would've been the easy correlation for frags named after an international football star... Instinct is a pretty decent vetiver fragrance. Intimately is a nice spicy aromatic fragrance, and Signature has some aquatic notes but it's still has oakmoss, patchouli, and cypress to give it a bit of weight and a more classic structure. Overall there's some decent fragrances from Beckham and for the price I would opt for a bottle of Instinct or Homme over something like Quorum or Z14 any day of the week.

David Beckham Instinct after dark, pretty nice scent and something different than what i was used to. Had it for a couple years now.

Im not the TS but I do want to thank those who've actually discussed the frags and gave great suggestions to try.
    I've been logging on less and less due to the snooty vibe, as if everyone here is from the US or EU with easy access to fragrances or pockets deep enough to but 100$ juice.
    Happy to appreciate my whole stash from Lutens to Paris Hilton, maybe a Beckham might join the 'drobe as well soon.
    Currently wearing: Tommy by Tommy Hilfiger

Quote Originally Posted by SmellyFinger View Post
    ......................, but have found that many have extremely pleasant and interesting scents (ck shock, mcgraw, beckham, rocawear) at lowball price points of $10-$20 online. Only problem is VERY poor performance. Its a shame. If Coty et all, could ever amp up some of these to 6-8 hours with modest projection, damn!
    Interesting observation. But I don't have that problem - most Beckhams last well on me, and CK Shock easily has all day longevity on me (three times the longevity of CK One). I can't comment on the other two you mention.
    Regards,
    Renato

These:
    Current Winter Favorites:

1. House of Matriarch - Blackbird
    2. Brückner - Aoud 1
    3. Creed - Royal Oud
    4. Stéphane Humbert Lucas 777 - Generation Man
    5. Armani Privé - Oud Royal
    6. by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    7. Stéphane Humbert Lucas 777 - Mortal Skin
    8. Ormonde Jayne - Black Gold
    9. Creed - Royal English Leather
    10. by Kilian - Cruel Intentions

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post

TBH Signature Story was the only one from this house that I flat out didn't like.. too similar to Le Male, just a wanna be.. very cloying fragrance. .
    Yes and no.
    Yes, very similar in style to Le Male.
    But I can happily wear Signature Story, whereas I feel distinctly odd wearing Le Male.
    Regards,
    Renato

I would go with the suggestion of Beckham Homme. It's the best of the releases.

I am in the camp that doesn't care if a scent is too commercial or fronted by the celebrity. I wear what I like!

Beckham Homme is my answer. It won't make you run or look like the famous footballer, but it will make you smell nice!

"The sunset is deeper and longer. The scent of the jasmine is stronger." Miracles. Pet Shop Boys

"Thick dome of jasmine
    (Under the dense canopy where the white jasmine),
    Blends with the rose,
    (That blends with the rose),"
    "The Flower Duet," Lakme by Leo Delibes, 1881

Basenotes Plus

Soccer player right? Married a smaller Spice Girl?

I smelled one of them at a local store and it was gone off the test strip in less than a hour. That's usually what I associate with the cheaper price point. One of the only exceptions being Encre Noir Sport. Seems like I can't wash it off after 8 hours. Not bad for less than 30 Smackerinos
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

Blog Entries

Beckham Homme has a slight Sauvage open before going to a cashmere heavy mid/base.

There is nothing wrong with David Beckham and I would not mind him to be the person in the commercials for one of my favorite scents. I just can't summon any interest for his "own" fragrances.