Code of Conduct
    Central Florida. 44 years old, de-clawed teddy bear who is as comfortable in a tie-dye as an oxford

Cool Song of India Perfumes

Hello all,

I'm new to the site and am enjoying spending time here. One thing that's surprised me is that I haven't seen any ratings or reviews of Song of India perfumes. My favorite scent of theirs is called Krishna Musk. It's a clean, incense-y, heady aroma that many people compliment me on when I wear it. I try to keep a few bottles on hand because I notice newer bottles need to 'ripen' for the scents to fully develop.

They also make solids with hand carved jar vessels. I much prefer the perfume oils to the solids.

Anyhow, just wanted to say hello and see if there were other fans of Song of India's Krishna Musk.

Default Re: Song of India Perfumes

Welcome to you superfluousPastry! Personally not familiar with this house. They sound interesting.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Never heard of the house. Welcome aboard.
    Currently wearing: Memoir Man by Amouage

Central Florida. 44 years old, de-clawed teddy bear who is as comfortable in a tie-dye as an oxford

Thank you for the warm welcome.

I guess I should've done a search on this site before posting. It appears there are others here who are users of SOA products.

Best amber scent?: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/181...st-amber-scent

Sandalwood: www.basenotes.net/threads/180713-Sandalwood

....as well as a few other threads.

Part of my curiosity stems from wanting to see how my tastes stack up against the noses here. I'm not at all sophisticated with my perfume collection or knowledge. My first scent was Monsiour Houbigant which I wore in the 80's as a teenager. It would be great to get my paws on a bottle of that stuff again, just for the memories. I read here that the formula has changed. In the 90's I bought a bottle of Halston Catalyst which I rather enjoyed for while. ...then I started dating a guy who was quite a bit older than me and I began raiding his cologne collection. He had an old bottle of Royal Copenhagen and went through a phase where I'd wear that a lot. I also wore Kouros for a bit. There were some specialty shops in a hoity-toity part of town which carried their own fragrances and I'd splurge every now and again to have an original scent.

...anyhow. I went through a dry spell until sometime around 2000 a friend bought me a huge bottle of aged patchouli oil and this Krishna musk from SOA I'm raving about. That bottle of patchouli oil has brought me so much joy over the years. I still have more than half of it because it's so concentrated I mix it into a carrier oil to extend it and add bits of other fragrances. I've recently whipped up a wicked batch of raspberry patchouli that I'm very proud of. It's very rich and incense-y smelling. A bit on the feminine side but I generally wear it before bed.

There's something about that Krishna musk though. It's just so clean smelling and yet sexual and spiritual and so much more. Evocative. Stays close to the skin and lasts over 24 hours.

So that's my journey in a nutshell. I've been a patchouli freak for nearly 15 years and recently found this site and realize I need to bust out of a rut. I've gotten so many great recommendations here. In fact I'm going to pick up a bottle of Raw Vanilla by Coty today on this site's recommendation. I'm also going to save up for a bottle of Guerlain's Vetiver. So many gifted writers on this site. Very entertaining to read. I'm hooked.

Are Song of India oil natural? Or synthetic?

I used to see this brand at a store that sells incense and candles. It looks like a very small brand but last time I went there (reminded by this thread) they didn't carry it anymore. The sort of brand that a new age store would carry. Unfortunately I didn't get to try anything on my skin they were oil-based and I don't think all natural. I just smelled a few from the bottles. They're nice enough.

Holy bumps! This was my first post/thread here.

Yes they're mostly fragrance oils and would have to be synthetic. I mean musks and sandalwood... The sandalwood is decent for the price. I almost bought a bottle of the amber a couple of weeks ago but figured I'd save my money.

...and yes, you tend to find them at new agey type bookstores. Sometimes health food stores will have a display of their perfumes and soaps.
    It is true that fish stink. It is also true that the river is
    beautiful. But the river would be beautiful despite the fish. What
    is noxious remains so.

That is not to say that sh*t is not useful when buried in the wheat
    field. Bread made from the field tastes sweet, wine from the arbor
    sweetest. All things serve a purpose, but that is no reason to
    glorify what is abominable. A man must still watch where he walks
    and keep his sandals clean.
    c.21 of the Egyptian Book of the Dead, Trans: Normandi Ellis

Quote Originally Posted by superfluousPastry View Post
    Holy bumps! This was my first post/thread here.

Yes they're mostly fragrance oils and would have to be synthetic. I mean musks and sandalwood... The sandalwood is decent for the price. I almost bought a bottle of the amber a couple of weeks ago but figured I'd save my money.

...and yes, you tend to find them at new agey type bookstores. Sometimes health food stores will have a display of their perfumes and soaps.
    Yes I do remember this was your first post...
    You are right I would save my money as there are better options out there.

"Misty watercolor memories of the way we were"
    It is true that fish stink. It is also true that the river is
    beautiful. But the river would be beautiful despite the fish. What
    is noxious remains so.

That is not to say that sh*t is not useful when buried in the wheat
    field. Bread made from the field tastes sweet, wine from the arbor
    sweetest. All things serve a purpose, but that is no reason to
    glorify what is abominable. A man must still watch where he walks
    and keep his sandals clean.
    c.21 of the Egyptian Book of the Dead, Trans: Normandi Ellis