Code of Conduct

Default Pure Malt-my short love hate relationship

I received my blind buy-Pure Malt a few days ago. I only wore it once, a single spray to my chest to sample it out when I was about to go to bed. I really liked it.

Fast forward to today.. On my bus ride home, a chubby guy boarded the bus and as he walked past the rows of seats, everyone started to turn their heads to have a glimpse of him. As he sat beside me, I instantly knew why.

For the next 1 hour or so, I was drowning in an overflowing pungent smell that was pure malt. I guessed he poured the whole bottle on himself. The couple in front of me got up and sat further front. The traffic jam and the light air-con dint help much. I was only spared when I got down the bus, and luckily came off with only a slight headache.

I had (actually I still slightly have) an urge to throw my pure malt in the rubbish bin once I got home. I guess ill not touch it for the next few weeks, even if I do not throw it away...

Default Re: Pure Malt-my short love hate relationship

I can understand how situations like that can taint one's previously favorable view of a scent.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

That was probably me.. sorry

I doubt it was Pure Malt, probably some variation of Axe or a body shop product.

But I see your dilemma. A bad experience with a fragrance can ruin it for good or at least a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    I doubt it was Pure Malt, probably some variation of Axe or a body shop product.
    No...even a quality scent like PM can overapplied, and rather than being "pleasant" can be quite vile. Think of it like sugar...the right amount makes something sweet....too much and you have people spitting out whatever it's been used in/on.

Suit yourself man. Can I have your bottle?

I've received tons of compliments while wearing heavy amounts (3-5 sprays) of "cloying", "overpowering" scents like A*Men, Pure Malt, 1 Million, New Haarlem.
    I've never had one person, man or woman, family, friend, stranger, tell me I stink or had too much cologne on, and I hang out with some brutally honest a-holes.

I'll take your bottle of your hands. I promise not to sit next to you!

Quote Originally Posted by fan.of.devin View Post
    I've received tons of compliments while wearing heavy amounts (3-5 sprays) of "cloying", "overpowering" scents like A*Men, Pure Malt, 1 Million, New Haarlem. I've never had one person, man or woman, family, friend, stranger, tell me I stink or had too much cologne on, and I hang out with some brutally honest a-holes.
    Maybe it's needed??? shrug.gif 24.gif

Basenotes Member

I feel the same way about it. I have had my decant for about a week or so and have been trying it out on and off during the nights. It is nice enough, and I keep trying to like it. I enjoy the slight whiskey note, but the sweet caramel accord is very overwhelming to me. My other half seems to enjoy it, but I think it's just too far out of the darker/woodier scent spectrum that I am used to for the time being. We'll see!

I've never given up on a scent I liked just because someone in my vicinity assaulted me with it. Back in the day, getting gassed-out by the likes of Polo, Kouros, Aramis, Grey Flannel, etc., seemed an everyday occurence. In the same vein as not shooting the messenger, I've not taken it out on the fragrance.
    Simplex Sigillum Veri

It's very sad when people over spray a fragrance... It can change Your Love to Hate very quickly!!!

Try it in a few months.
    for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    Try it in a few months.
    This is good advice. Your perception might change favourably

Basenotes Plus

Man everyone here would HATE being near me. I have a poor sense of smell from years of smoking. Never got it back even after I quit. So I tend to over apply. If you have ever been to chicago, you have probably smelled me. And I live 50 miles outside of the city, lol.

i hope this is a short term thing too, and in any case I am probably over-reacting. I have smelt over-application of fragrance on other people, but this was a level up. meanwhile i have stuck my bottle at the deepest depths of my wardrobe lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Tmoran View Post
    Man everyone here would HATE being near me. I have a poor sense of smell from years of smoking. Never got it back even after I quit. So I tend to over apply. If you have ever been to chicago, you have probably smelled me. And I live 50 miles outside of the city, lol.
    LOL. I'm surprised your sense of smell is poor. I smoked for years and I think my sense of smell has increased, especially when it comes to cigarette smoke. I think I miss dipping more than smoking though.

Pure Malt is arguably one of the best scents out there. This guy probably thought it had a weak sillage (something common with PM) so he bathed like crazy in it.

If that were me, I'd ask him about it. I'd be like "Hey, is that Pure Malt you're wearing?" and he'd be like "Yeah!" then I'll be like "I'm guessing that you have sillage problems don't you?:, proceeding to tell him to be cautious with the scent.

Still. It's an awesome scent. Don't let one bad experience ruin it for you. Leave PM alone for a while and go back to your favourites. Then when you're ready, give PM a try again.

I hated Pure Malt on first sniff. The opening made me nauseous.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    Try it in a few months.
    This. Keep the bottle.

Thanks for all the advice. will be keeping the bottle, but out of sight (and nose) for awhile.