Code of Conduct

Default L'eau D'issey Summer 2013 vs 2014

Has anyone smelled both of these? I am just wondering what the differences were. 2013 looks like it can be had for like $35, but if it's very very similar to 2014 then I would rather save the money and get it.

Dependent

Default Re: L'eau D'issey Summer 2013 vs 2014

Have not smelled 2014, but own 2013 and suggest you skip it unless you really enjoy it. The supposed kiwi note is garbage. Not a good blind buy IMO.

I find the best one to be the 2009 edition.

Really? Ok, because I liked the notes in it, grapefruit, kiwi etc..
    I was recommended DH Sport and I put it on and after 5 minutes I couldn't take the smell. And DH 2012 I think, smelled like flowers on me after it dried, I had to shower after I sprayed the tester. So, I am not sure I have the same taste as a lot of posters on these forums. But, I was reading the reviews on another place and it seemed like this was a decent scent.

I owned 2012 and dumped it for 2014.
    2014 embodies summer. Never tried 2013.
    Its somewhat fleeting and lasts about 5 hours, but what do you want from an ultra-refreshing summer scent?
    I could picture this being dynamite after being in the pool all day, tanned skin, 5 sprays.

In the 2012 I couldnt stand the persistent scratchy vetiver thats gets amped up higher and higher each hour.
    2014 has none of that. Just pure summer refreshment.
    I have left Basenotes due to excessive childish behavior by community members.
    If you need to contact me, please use alternate forms of communication.

Also tried the 2013 edition at a Sephora and was disappointed. The supposed "Kiwi" note couldn't save it as I had high hopes for it.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

I own the 2013 version and like it. I had heard the rumor that the 2013 and 2014 scents were the same, just repackaged?(who knows though?) Like all the summer variations, it has strong similarities to the original L'eau D'Issey. The top is fruity and while still having the DNA of the original on the drydown, gone is the screechy yuzu note and musky florals that overpower the original and ruin it for me.(and why I got rid of my bottle when I got this) This is a version of L'eau D'Issey I can actually wear and enjoy. Unfortunately the fruity opening doesn't last all that long and the longevity and sillage is average at best. Still a very enjoyable scent to me.
    "Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see."
    -Hebrews 11:1
    Currently wearing: Joop! Splash by Joop!

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by mtlboy View Post
    I was reading the reviews on another place and it seemed like this was a decent scent.
    Not trying to discourage you on this, it's fair to say it's a decent fragrance - as in I haven't given Issey 2013 away or trashed it. However I have a hard time recommending decent.

There are better, even amongst the Issey Summer series. 2005 and 2009, particularly. I bought 2013 on barely a sniff, based on my experience with those 2. Just wanted to caution you approach it with a healthy skepticism.

If you develop even a modest collection, you'll be glad you've been picky over the long haul

I've owned summer versions 2008 and 2010 which are all about the same and share a lot in common with the original. I've smelled 2012 and 2013 which had more in common with the sport version which is what I think these newer versions are using as their base instead of the original. My advice would be to get a sample of the original and sport to see which one you like better. If you like the original go with one before 2012. If you like sport go for the 2012 and newer versions. Sport Mint is also one you might want to look at and is like a fresher version of Sport.