Code of Conduct

Default Fake Chanel No 5?

Bought this off ebay and it has tester written on the back and I have bought testers before and they have been great. However although this look good, things on the bottle do not look right. The base of bottle is too thick, its does not have that curved shape at the bottom that Chanel has. The tube inside looks too curved. The Liquid looks okay and the initial smell is okay but its a bit sickly and heavy. The number etched on the back is too thick to and by the number its shows its 5 yrs out of date

010.jpg

009.jpg

011.jpg

What do you think?

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

Default Re: Fake Chanel No 5?

Welcome to Basenotes!

If I were you, I would just return the bottle if that would have been possible.

Not much idea about No. 5 bottles, but others would surely chime in.

If the writing rubs off the front then its likely a fake, how is the longevity of the perfume? You need to do a side by side comparison of the real deal in a dept store vs yours and see if theres any differences.

I still have my Original Chanel Bottle and side by side you can see the ebay one has a much thicker base and the tube is longer and curled. The smell is very close but is heavier and quite sickly. I did wonder if some tester bottles were made different as the liquid looks very good, its very clear and the reason it is so heavy and sickly could be the fact its 5 yrs old?. The writing on the bottom does not scratch off but does not look the same as the real chanel bottle. The gold sprayer looks good, it did not come with a top so I put my own top on from my real chanel and it fitted with a click.

Chanel no5 is the most counterfeit perfume of all times though. And has been for many years.
    Somebody on Ebay put up a really good article on #5 counterfeits through the ages.
    www.aafke-art.com

“Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. This is not a way of life at all in any true sense. Under the clouds of war, it is humanity hanging on a cross of iron.”
    ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

Some testers are made more pungent, look at the quality of the writing on the bottle as well, any colour differences? usually if the liquid is clear and smells of a good quality, thats indication that it is real.

Basenotes Member

I feel for you, I bought fake J'Adore ....my own fault, I was warned but I chanced it. I got a full refund from Paypal though, and didnt have to return the perfume, which ACTUALLY was very nice, it just wasnt J'Adore....its illegal here (UK) to post fakes through the mail system, so I would have been breaking the law by re-stocking a counterfeiter..... I used the refund to go buy the real deal, and the difference is amazing.. I think the fake HAS got a bit of J'adore in it, but very diluted, and lasts no longer than about an hour.......
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by anne north; 22nd November 2014 at 06:37 PM. Reason: to add photos

Unhappy Re: Fake Chanel No 5?

Quote Originally Posted by anne north View Post
    I feel for you, I bought fake J'Adore ....my own fault, I was warned but I chanced it. I got a full refund from Paypal though, and didnt have to return the perfume, which ACTUALLY was very nice, it just wasnt J'Adore....its illegal here (UK) to post fakes through the mail system, so I would have been breaking the law by re-stocking a counterfeiter..... I used the refund to go buy the real deal, and the difference is amazing.. I think the fake HAS got a bit of J'adore in it, but very diluted, and lasts no longer than about an hour.......

I didn't know it was illegal to send it through the post..I have now sent it back to the seller tracked who has promised me a full refund. I have to say that it was so heavy and sickly that it make me feel quite ill. I have purchased testers before and they are more pungent and last longer but the bottles were always genuine Chanel. I know fraudsters do many perfumes and are getting quite good at it and ebay is a haven for them so you have to be very careful what you buy.

Basenotes Member

I dont know what its like in other parts of the world, but I live in UK and they lean very heavily on counterfeiters.... and if you check on paypal......you have to read through the counterfeiters section, it does say not to return it.....but its well hidden.