Code of Conduct

Default Bel Ami Vetiver?

This one sounds interesting and intriguing to me. However....just keep in mind...I haven't smelled "the original" Bel Ami, so I can't use that one as a reference/starting point.

But....from what I've heard (read)....this sounds like it may be right up my alley. "Classy", "conservative", "masculine", "modern" and "quality" are words I commonly see used when describing this scent. Seems that it has excellent longevity, isn't a projection beast yet is adequate in that area. The notes sound very interesting as well.....AND it sounds like something that could be a year round, signature type scent.

So what are the general thoughts of those who own or have tried this one?

Default Re: Bel Ami Vetiver?

Own and love it. The adjectives you have seen describing this scent are apt IMO.
    Last edited by hednic; 30th November 2014 at 06:44 AM.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

I'm still pining to try this one. I suppose the SA forgot to send my sample some weeks ago. I'll have to re-request.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Basenotes Plus

Love it! OK, I admit, it wasn't love at first sniff - but only because my expectations were off the charts (I absolutely love the original Bel Ami and I guess I was expecting this one to hit me like a brick, too). I sold my bottle couple days after getting it, but then it was calling me and I ordered another one. Now I have three of them. It's a fantastic fragrance that can be worn in the summer and in the winter, it's perfectly office-safe, it's masculine, refined, modern, fantastic (all day) longevity, and it's not crazy loud either. It is just right. Strongly recommended.

Waiting to try this one.......

Sound Scents

One of the best releases of the year (which admittedly isn't saying much as 2014 has been quite disappointing on the new releases front). Bel Ami Vetiver definitely is a really good one though. My thoughts on what it smells like are in the review section.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4)
    Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6)
    Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie
    9) Oud Shamash (The Different Company) - tie

You havent smelled Bel Ami?

You'll love it.
    Otherwise I found it too derivative off of the original.
    for swap/sale:

Remik, sounds glorious! You're almost pushing me into a blind purchase!
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

like it but prefer Bel Ami also in its last formulation
    sailing the Oceans of Boredom...

I respect it, but im not a fan of it.
    It certainly evokes an image of hot brown leather baking in the desert sand for me.
    I have left Basenotes due to excessive childish behavior by community members.
    If you need to contact me, please use alternate forms of communication.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaMav View Post
    I respect it, but im not a fan of it.
    It certainly evokes an image of hot brown leather baking in the desert sand for me.
    heck, you're right!
    sailing the Oceans of Boredom...

Basenotes Plus

Own it and love it....There's a reason it's in my top 10....Think of Bel Ami Leather mixed with sweet woody Vetiver....It's fantastic....Blow your socks off fantastic? Probably not but a great daily scent fragrance I think for ALL seasons and certainly one that will harbor compliments....I know a lot of people here on BN like "challenging" fragrance...This isn't one....Its just straight up "smells" good fragrance which for me is all I need.....Definitely FB worthy....
    CURRENT TOP TEN FOR SUMMER (HOT):
    1.) MFK Pluriel for him
    2.) Vetiver Fatal
    3.) Guerlain L'eau
    4.) Anat Fritz Tzora
    5.) Frank No. 2 L.A.
    6.) Dior Homme Eau
    7.) Invasion Barbare
    8.) Xerjoff Nio
    9.) Byredo Bal D'Afrique
    10.) Escentric 02

Thanks for the feedback, guys....much appreciated.

Sounds good, so I think I will go ahead and order a sample of this one, to see if it will meet my hopes and expectations (fingers crossed).

Alright....samples are on the way. Thankfully The Perfumed Court had this one, so I can sample it before committing to any sort of a "full bottle blind buy". I should know in about a week or so what this one is all about.

Does anyone know if the Hermes boutique in Las Vegas sells this one? And if so, for how much? I will be traveling to Vegas around Christmas, so if I like it and they have it, this could turn out perfect.

Basenotes Institution

Looking forward to hearing what you think about it SportsFan.

I loved it immediately when I sampled it (and prior to that I had only recently smelled vintage Bel Ami). It is equal parts leather, vetiver (a very fractioned and 'light' vetiver) and spices. It's the spices that pushed me over the edge to own a decant of it now - they really enliven the scent and help it come alive. I must admit I was getting a little tired of all of the vetivers out there (I happen to be very satisfied with Guerlain's and that's the only one I've ever bought back up bottles of) but this one is so much more than a 'flanker with vetiver'. And, unlike some of the Hermes line, this one has great longevity & tenacity.

I wore mine at Thanksgiving and the scent really complimented that holiday atmosphere.

Now I can't wait to get some Bel Ami.
    "All problems are illusions of the mind."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Alright, samples arrived today.....and about 20 minutes ago I tried some on.

Initially, it does provide a bit of a "Wow" factor...like you know you're smelling quality juice. After the first few seconds of being somewhat enamored by it's rather simple, yet elegant and profound aroma...I began to question if it was: A) what I was hoping for, and B) if I truly LIKED it. I could appreciate it right off the bat....but the first 10 to 15 minutes I was a bit indecisive as to whether I actually liked it. Enough, at least, to think that it would be something I would wear on a regular basis and if I could see myself buying a bottle.

At around the 15 minute mark, it settled into a very nice scent. Subtle, classy, refined...yet not your average, ordinary, run of the mill scent. It was masculine, and distinctive enough that anyone who smells it won't think it's "just another cologne". I'm sure people wearing this one get asked a lot what they're wearing.

I'm only about 20 minutes into my first wearing of it, but so far...I like it. I'm sure I'll try it again over the next few days to get a better feel for it, and to determine if it's FBW.

Basenotes Institution

I wore this on a date the other day. It got the attention I wanted. Score! lol
    "All problems are illusions of the mind."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I wore this on a date the other day. It got the attention I wanted. Score! lol

BIG