Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question What of these fragrances is a monster in: Panty Dropper, Longevity and Proyection

Last edited by Hercules; 7th December 2014 at 04:22 AM.

Default Re: What of this fragrances is a monster in: Panty Dropper, Longevity and Proyection

The PD expression is frowned upon on Basenotes as its pretty offensive to the female members of the forum
    "A note on respect and civility"
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/392...89#post3300889
    That feeling when you're waiting for a split to fill.

Default Re: What of these fragrances is a monster in: Panty Dropper, Longevity and Proyection

Here we go again.
    The smell of success works best in all situations.
    I have left Basenotes due to excessive childish behavior by community members.
    If you need to contact me, please use alternate forms of communication.

Default Re: What of these fragrances is a monster in: Panty Dropper, Longevity and Proyection

Yeah the whole "panty dropper" term is not only potentially offensive to some people but it's also just downright stupid. If you have no game whatsoever when it comes to the ladies, it won't matter if you are wearing a $2000 Clive Christian or a $20 Joop Homme. I think in some ways fragrance can even be detrimental in these circumstances... If a single man is not confident in himself and smells strongly of cologne I think it seems to give out a sad vibe of desperation. No offense to anyone, just my opinion.... It is what it is

Dependent

If you want a frag the ladies like try la nuit de l'homme or carolina herrera ch man.
    Last edited by Mitchapalooza; 7th December 2014 at 04:47 AM.

Dependent

Using that term PD you sound crude , ridiculous and should really ask yourself" why am I asking an Internet forum which fragrance will make a women's or man's clothes fall off when you already know the answer is NONE.
    Get a clue .
    OFF SITE SALES, DECANTS ---Dior,Chanel MFK, MOLECULE 01* VINTAGE ANTAEUS*
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=499

Banning that phrase is a bit much. Its a very common phrase used when discussing fragrances. Some of you are FAR too sensitive.

Last edited by Flatbush Ave; 7th December 2014 at 05:11 AM.

-------
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Flatbush Ave View Post
    Banning that phrase is a bit much. Its a very common phrase when discussing fragrances. Some of you are FAR too sensitive.

Its a bad term but these guys don't know any better.. so educate them.. but don't make them feel like outcasts. Newcomers to the fragrance world start off like a bunch of us do.. watching youtube reviews. And pantydropper is a common phrase used by youtube reviewers so they think its not a big deal.

Banning that phrase is a bit much. Its a very common phrase used when discussing fragrances.
    It doesn't need to be used and the same intent can be expressed more tastefully/less offensively. Just because YouTube reviewers, etc. use it doesn't mean it needs to be used here too. That's part of the character of Basenotes as a forum. There are men and women, as well as people from all walks of life and sexual orientations, rather than just a bunch of bros looking to get laid. The civil nature of the language usually used here is one of the essential elements that makes Basenotes such a great place for so many people. It's just as easy to use an inoffensive expression to say exactly the same thing. Manners people.

Basenotes Plus

I agree, Flatbush. The oversensitivity to this phrase is a little puzzling to me. I don't understand the crusade against it. If you think it's juvenile, ok fine. Offensive though? I don't see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Darjeeling View Post
    It doesn't need to be used and the same intent can be expressed more tastefully/less offensively. Just because YouTube reviewers, etc. use it doesn't mean it needs to be used here too. That's part of the character of Basenotes as a forum. There are men and women, as well as people from all walks of life and sexual orientations, rather than just a bunch of bros looking to get laid. The civil nature of the language usually used here is one of the essential elements that makes Basenotes such a great place for so many people. It's just as easy to use an inoffensive expression to say exactly the same thing. Manners people.
    Well stated.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Judge Judy is not amused!

Proyection??
    "You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand

"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical...It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government." - Thomas Jefferson

Banning that phrase is a bit much. Its a very common phrase used when discussing fragrances.

Quote Originally Posted by tensor9 View Post
    I agree, Flatbush. The oversensitivity to this phrase is a little puzzling to me. I don't understand the crusade against it. If you think it's juvenile, ok fine. Offensive though? I don't see it.
    The term is uncivil, uncouth and is right to be banned. It is outright offensive since it shamelessly objectifies roughly one half of the human population. It means a drastically different thing compared to asking what fragrances women like or are popular among them. It is time to learn to have some respect and be a bit sensitive. Unfortunately many YouTube reviewers appear to be either uneducated or purposefully creating these videos to get more viewership by preying on unsuspecting minds.

Basenotes Member

It offends me because the phrase should be "panties dropper." What's a panty?

And we have "decanters", not "decants".

On a serious note, I'm not seeing it either. It reminds me of those that look for an excuse to be offended.

Frag Bomb Squadron XIII

Quote Originally Posted by Fahrenheit13 View Post
    Yeah the whole "panty dropper" term is not only potentially offensive to some people but it's also just downright stupid. If you have no game whatsoever when it comes to the ladies, it won't matter if you are wearing a $2000 Clive Christian or a $20 Joop Homme. I think in some ways fragrance can even be detrimental in these circumstances... If a single man is not confident in himself and smells strongly of cologne I think it seems to give out a sad vibe of desperation. No offense to anyone, just my opinion.... It is what it is
    Well said.

And OP can save himself all this backlash by substituting the offensive term with 'sexy'. Why use a longer unnecessarily controversial term when a single word would suffice?

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by freewheelingvagabond View Post
    The term is uncivil, uncouth and is right to be banned. It is outright offensive since it shamelessly objectifies roughly one half of the human population. It means a drastically different thing compared to asking what fragrances women like or are popular among them. It is time to learn to have some respect and be a bit sensitive. Unfortunately many YouTube reviewers appear to be either uneducated or purposefully creating these videos to get more viewership by preying on unsuspecting minds.
    It doesn't objectify anyone. Well, it does if you add meaning to it over and above what is generally meant by the term.

All it means is a fragrance that is deemed generally attractive to women. That little something extra that adds to a woman's attraction to you and that they, generally speaking, find sexy (OF COURSE not every woman likes a fragrance that many consider sexy.) It's just an attention getter. That's all. And in a lighthearted sense, this sexiness and extra attention might at least focus her attention on the male, and if a there is more attention there's more of a chance of things that follow. That's all. That's all any reasonable person takes from this term. People "dress up" when they go out for this exact same reason. A fragrance is just part of your wardrobe. By the way, girls could easily term certain feminine fragrance as "boxer droppers", and I wouldn't be offended one bit.

When considering this term, remember these things (with respect to any reasonable person):

No one thinks wearing a fragrance is going to attract a girl that is otherwise attracted to you.
    No one thinks that wearing a fragrance will automatically lead to panties being dropped.
    No one thinks that a scent compromises a woman's ability to choose in any way.
    No one thinks that women can be easily "tricked" into sex just by smelling good.
    No one thinks that ALL women will like any particular "panty dropper".
    No one thinks that a woman is strictly a sexual object and that fragrance is currency to obtain sex.
    No one is being objectified.

Do people like to have sex? Yes. Do people like to do things to attract others so that they have a better chance of having sex? Yes. Do people think that wearing a fragrance will necessarily lead to sex? No, of course not. And...?

If you don't like the term, ok. But don't pretend it's some affront to civility.
    Last edited by tensor9; 7th December 2014 at 06:04 AM.

I've had a mob of basenoters attack me when I was new to the site for using the term, so I learned the hard way not to use it.

I'm glad some people here are trying to educate OP on the word instead of burning him for it. Personally, I don't find the word offensive, but I can see why people find it offensive. I'm biased because I'm a male, I guess, so my opinion is invalid.

It's a commonly used word by YouTube reviewers, and many people here have discovered Basenotes and Fragrantica via these YouTubers. I know I did. I'm indifferent to it, but I'm just a chill guy like that, other things in this world offend me and push my buttons.

But back to the topic, OP must be confused with all this talk on one word he didn't know better to use.

Girls like JOOP! Homme, just go lightly on the trigger. 2 sprays max, and no where near your neck, as it is one of the most cloying scents in existence.

It's also a monster in terms of projection and longevity.

But don;t be afraid to spend a little cash OP. Buy something more expensive and nice!

With that note, is "Sex in a bottle" a perfectly acceptable alternative to panty dropper, or no?

like who cares
    Top 5:

1. Mona di Orio -Vanille
    2. Creed -Aventus
    3. Bond no. 9-Manhattan
    4. Bond no. 9-Scent of Peace
    5. Creed -Tabarome Millesime

To gets:
    -Taur- L' air du desert Morocain
    -Creed- Bois de Portugal
    -Amouage- Jubilation XXV/Interlude Man/Memoir Man

To Sample: Malle Carnal Fleur, Malle Noir Epices, Creed Acier Aluminum, Amouage Memoir Man, Amouage Interlude Man

Hey moderators, can we actually just ban the term Panty Dropper? It will avoid heated threads like this.

Basenotes Member

IBy the way, girls could easily term certain feminine fragrance as "boxer droppers", and I wouldn't be offended one bit.
    I think "stud finder" has a better ring to it.

Basenotes Member

Quote Originally Posted by EddieG View Post
    Hey moderators, can we actually just ban the term Panty Dropper? It will avoid heated threads like this.
    It's not "heated" and there's nothing negative about having these sort of discussions, but did you see the first response in this thread? Sadly, it has been banned.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by xray View Post
    I think "stud finder" has a better ring to it.
    :lol:

hahah, ok this is pretty clever. :up:

Quote Originally Posted by xray View Post
    It's not "heated" and there's nothing negative about having these sort of discussions, but did you see the first response in this thread? Sadly, it has been banned.
    Ah you're right, my apologies. I thought it worked ina way that using the word censored it when you typed it and posted it. My mistake.

Basenotes Member

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Why use a longer unnecessarily controversial term when a single word would suffice?
    1. Because typing a longer word (really, that's an issue?) isn't an issue for anyone anywhere.

2. Because there's no way in Hell* the OP would be expected to know that "panty dropper" is thought to be uncivil, unwelcome and banned on a message board. It's unbelievably ridiculous.

* I am allowed to use the "H" word here, right?

A reminder what Grant, the owner of Basenotes has said:

"‘Panty Dropper’ and similar language is not in any way respectful or civil. It saddens me that lately on these forums there has been an increase in the use of terms that objectify women. It also saddens me that members who have objected to these terms being used, have been responded with rudeness and abuse."

We are past discussing if the term is acceptable or not, please don't use it on Basenotes. No one is getting banned though, we all make mistakes and should be given the chance to course correct.

I see that the OP edited his post but not the headline, maybe he didn't know you have to go to the advanced edit settings to do that. It's tricks like that you need to learn and then the world becomes a better and more manageable place

I am going to lock this thread soon
    and ask the OP to start a new thread, but if anyone want to make any last remarks you are welcome to do so,
    Last edited by furrypine; 7th December 2014 at 09:20 AM.
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity.
    There is no cure for curiosity."
    - Dorothy Parker

Not wanting to stoke the flames on BN in general but I feel that not only is the PD term inappropriate, people on here need to post less often and with more interesting threads. Lately, the forums are clogged up with some of the most stupid and ridiculous threads ever - what do I wear for a (insert occasion)?, if you were an animal, what fragrance are you, which of your collection would you like to be buried with?, I'm going clubbing, what should I wear?, scents on a plane, if Jessica Alba was a scent what would she be? - all being recent examples. Not to mention the endless variations on the desert island question that appear week after week.

Just my opinion of course.

Yeah, I realise I'm old and grumpy but on BN its not more threads that we need, it's less threads with more insightful, enriching writing.

Regards

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by jason_newton View Post
    Not wanting to stoke the flames on BN in general but I feel that not only is the PD term inappropriate, people on here need to post less often and with more interesting threads. Lately, the forums are clogged up with some of the most stupid and ridiculous threads ever - what do I wear for a (insert occasion)?, if you were an animal, what fragrance are you, which of your collection would you like to be buried with?, I'm going clubbing, what should I wear?, scents on a plane, if Jessica Alba was a scent what would she be? - all being recent examples. Not to mention the endless variations on the desert island question that appear week after week.

Yeah, I realise I'm old and grumpy but on BN its not more threads that we need, it's less threads with more insightful, enriching writing.

Regards
    If you were a fragrance you would be grumpy pour homme intense. lol jk

Quote Originally Posted by jason_newton View Post

Regards
    This is an affliction common to all forums. So where are the quality threads you are posting to remedy the situation?