Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
o

Default Re: Chanel Les Exclusifs - What are your favorites?

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    For me it was a lot closer to Egoiste. Bois Des Iles was a bit more floral and the silage was not as strong. Many have suggested that it has been watered down quite a bit over the years. I would like to do a side to side comparisons between vintage formulation and current formulation of Bois Des Iles. In addition, I would like to try the pafum extract version of Bois Des Iles as well.
    Coromandel also reminds me of Egoiste. Watered down or not, it smells good, Bois des Iles.

Banned

I'm not a lady but i don't believe in labels. My absolute favorites from Les Exclusifs are Coromandel, Bois Des Iles (parfum & the EDT), 31 Rue Cambon (finally just purchased a large bottle last week), & Cuir de Russie parfum. I also enjoy wearing Beige & Sycomore every now and then as well as N°18.

No other fragrance has ever garnered anywhere near as many compliments as Coromandel has for me. Whenever i wear it, I'm receiving at least 5 compliments from random people. (Dior's Bois D'Argent is the other fragrance i own that receives many "oooohs" & "aahhhhs" but not like Coromandel). It lasts all day on me and obviously projects flawlessly I'd say. I can't count how many times I've written down the name to inquiring noses, both men and women. Interestingly enough, I used to strongly dislike Coromandel years ago but was told by my friend at Chanel, as it's a strong and unusual fragrance, that it matched my large personality and individual style and should give it a go. I'm glad I did because I've fallen head over heels in love with the Coromandel

Bois Des Iles parfum was the first Les Exclusifs fragrance i purchased years ago. It really was love at first sniff. So rich, creamy, ethereal, and immensely elegant, it lasts and projects just enough. I enjoy smelling it on myself. Personally, i find it to be the scent of top quality cashmere: rich, soft, & thick.

31 Rue Cambon evokes pure elegance, sophistication, glamour, & that indefinable thing called chic. I've wanted this scent for nearly a year and finally received a large bottle as a belated Christmas gift just last week. It's the perfect "anytime" perfume: work, socializing, restaurant, party, or just a day out shopping on 5th Ave (like i did yesterday while wearing it haha). I hug all my friends and coworkers and they love this scent on me when they reach in for that embrace

Cuir de Russie parfum is the benchmark leather fragrance. At some points, especially the opening, it reminds me of N°5 but changes quite a bit on me with that burnt leather note always prevalent somewhere in the mix. The EDT is very nice as well and lasts all day on me.

The others are great but these are my top choices and the ones i wear all the time. I own most of those adorable minis, & still need 5 to complete my collection, & enjoy opening them up to smell scents such as 1932, Jersey, & Gardenia.

P.S. N°22 is revolting to my nose. It's a scent that's a nuclear bomb of aldehydes.
    Last edited by BoyChanel; 4th January 2015 at 03:27 AM.
    Currently wearing: No. 5 by Chanel

Basenotes Plus

Not a lady, but my favorite from this line is...... It's wonderful. It might lean a little on the feminine side, but I love it.

Wow, please disregard! Way too late.
    Last edited by tensor9; 4th January 2015 at 09:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tensor9 View Post
    Not a lady, but my favorite from this line is Gris Montaigne. It's wonderful. It might lean a little on the feminine side, but I love it.
    Er, sorry but that is not a Chanel Exclusif or any Chanel I have ever heard of???

No 22 I own a 80s version and it could blast half the hemisphere with the aldehyde but does settle down. LOL
    DONNA

I think I must be alone in struggling to get along with many of the Chanel Exclusifs. I have in the past fallen for (and bought) 31 Rue Cambon, Bois Des Iles, Cuir Russie and No. 22 (I love an aldehyde!), but have subsequently parted ways with all of them. I think I like the idea of them being 'Exclusive' more than I truly like the actual fragrances - and in the case of Boise des Iles and Cuir de Russie started to perceive what I can only describe as a sulphuric note, which was extremely off-putting. Weirdly this doesn't happen with a very old sample of Cuir de Russie I still have, so not sure if it's owing to some recent change in formulation...

Anyway, for now I have come to the conclusion that the only Chanels I truly love are Cristalle EdT and Coco EdP, which happily also saves me money!

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by donna255 View Post
    Er, sorry but that is not a Chanel Exclusif or any Chanel I have ever heard of???

No 22 I own a 80s version and it could blast half the hemisphere with the aldehyde but does settle down. LOL
    LOL. Wow, did I ever get mixed up. I just dropped a Dior in a Chanel thread. oops!! LOL

Having sampled three so far, I love Coromandel. That's an easy one. I really like Bois des Iles, but I need to wear it more to try to understand it. I think Cuir de Russie may work better on a woman; it doesn't feel like it's working on me, but I may just need to get used to it.

Just tried new Cuir de Russie again a few days ago. Must somewhat rescind my previous remarks as it smells great, not as good as it was prior to 2005, but still excellent. Probably the most intelligent smelling fragrance ever made. Cuir de Russie and Sycomore are the best of the Exclusifs (couple of the best period), with Cuir de Russie being the most interesting. One of those that makes "...your world feel bigger after smelling it, as if your concept of the acceptable has been stretched so that it'll never return to its original shape". I like the edt more than the parfum. Must add 31 Rue Cambon to those as well but it isn't something I ultimately like to wear. Bois des Iles is less complex than it used to be, maybe a little more sugary. The aldehylic top notes that throw some people off don't last long before it all starts to smooth out, becoming what is still one of the best orientals and one of the best drydowns out there.

The whole range is good. 28 La Pausa is excellent. Same with Bel Respiro. If you like the sweetness and consuming radiance, Corormandel is excellent. Jacques Polge says his favorite Exclusif is No. 18. I'm not into prominent rose and the fragrance feels a little doughy once you've generated enough body heat, but it's excellent.
    Last edited by pluran; 5th January 2015 at 09:42 AM.

Freed from BN Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Chanel1 View Post
    Having sampled three so far, I love Coromandel. That's an easy one. I really like Bois des Iles, but I need to wear it more to try to understand it. I think Cuir de Russie may work better on a woman; it doesn't feel like it's working on me, but I may just need to get used to it.
    I like Bois Des Iles more than Cuir De Russie. Make sure you try 31 Rue Cambon that one is really good so is Eau De Cologne.

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    Just tried new Cuir de Russie again a few days ago. Must somewhat rescind my previous remarks as it smells great, not as good as it was prior to 2005, but still excellent. Probably the most intelligent smelling fragrance ever made. Cuir de Russie and Sycomore are the best of the Exclusifs (couple of the best period), with Cuir de Russie being the most interesting. One of those that makes "...your world feel bigger after smelling it, as if your concept of the acceptable has been stretched so that it'll never return to its original shape". I like the edt more than the parfum. Bois des Iles has turned sugary, still good but not the great sandalwood oriental that it was.
    Yes it has been watered down over the years, same with Bois Des Iles. Have you tried the parfum version of Cuir De Russie?

Yes it has been watered down over the years, same with Bois Des Iles. Have you tried the parfum version of Cuir De Russie?
    I've had samples from The Perfumed Court for the last few months. Smells good but fairly pale, lacking the heft and durability I'd expect, The stuff I'm smelling feels a lot more like a Hermessence version of the pre-2005 parfum. Who knows how many times the things have been reformulated since 2006. One or two at least. Attenuate the styrax and a few other things and it's hard to even maintain the basic smell.
    Last edited by pluran; 6th January 2015 at 04:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tensor9 View Post
    LOL. Wow, did I ever get mixed up. I just dropped a Dior in a Chanel thread. oops!! LOL
    Excommunicate LOL
    DONNA

Chanel1 if you haven't already get a sample of the parfum, it wears differently to the EdT, more leather forward. The vintage CdR in EdT is closer to No.5 and the vintage parfum again is more leather focused.
    We live only to discover beauty. All else is a form of waiting. ~Kahlil Gibran
    Currently wearing: Sycomore (new) by Chanel

Quote Originally Posted by Xscent View Post
    Chanel1 if you haven't already get a sample of the parfum, it wears differently to the EdT, more leather forward. The vintage CdR in EdT is closer to No.5 and the vintage parfum again is more leather focused.
    Hmm. The vintage parfum is more leathery and animalic. The parfum I'm smelling now has the feel of something more concentrated but pale with surprisingly little durability. Must try new samples because based on the samples I have it gives no more than the edt, not as much in fact. Formulations sometimes differ slightly to work in different concentrations. No. 5 is supposedly like that: a slightly different formulation for the edt, edp and parfum. Maybe the modern edt was affected less by reformulation than the parfum. Or maybe I just need to get another sample !

I agree the vintage edt was a lot bigger and better, perhaps closer to No. 5 regarding some of the floral aspects; but if the drier more herbal and phenolic vintage Cuir de Russie (vaguely reminiscent of the smell downwind from a peat fire at a Scotch distillery) was all that close to No. 5, I wouldn't be wearing it. Must say though, the newest No. 5 is paler, woodier, less radiant than the older stuff. Hell, I'd be a lot more likely to wear it than a lot of so-called masculine fragrances such as the Godzilla vanilla Dior Homme Intense with its ever expanding tentacles that put you down and suck you dry. :-)
    Last edited by pluran; 5th January 2015 at 02:19 PM.

Xscent - I will put the Cuir de Russie parfum (0.25 ml - tiny) on my next sample order ($10). The 5 ml would run me $180!

28 La Pausa is wearing me today. I went heavy on the sprays. It smells good, and I like having this smell around, like it would make a perfect room spray; it's nothing like I ever imagined wearing as a fragrance. I think it reminds me too much of my mom when she sold Avon.

Xscent - I will put the Cuir de Russie parfum (0.25 ml - tiny) on my next sample order ($10). The 5 ml would run me $180!

28 La Pausa is wearing me today. I went heavy on the sprays. It smells good, and I like having this smell around, like it would make a perfect room spray; it's nothing like I ever imagined wearing as a fragrance. I think it reminds me too much of my mom when she sold Avon.
    Chanel1 gosh for the price of 5ml decant you can get the whole 15ml parfum! I'm assuming it is the modern parfum you are ordering a sample of? The parfum wears closer to the skin and takes some time to bloom for me but I don't have an issue with longevity. I once spilt about a quarter of the parfum bottle on myself and the carpet in my bedroom and the room smelt wonderful for weeks. Needless to say sillage or projection were not an issue that day. Bois des Îles was an easy love for me, give yourself time. As for being watered down I did start a thread awhile back when I discovered a colour difference my newer bottle of BdÎ (http://www.basenotes.net/threads/374...hter-in-colour). After a bit of round robin of spritzing different batch from different years it was agreed there was a slight difference in the opening but dry down and longevity seemed the same.

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    Hmm. The vintage parfum is more leathery and animalic. The parfum I'm smelling now has the feel of something more concentrated but pale with surprisingly little durability. Must try new samples because based on the samples I have it gives no more than the edt, not as much in fact. Formulations sometimes differ slightly to work in different concentrations. No. 5 is supposedly like that: a slightly different formulation for the edt, edp and parfum. Maybe the modern edt was affected less by reformulation than the parfum. Or maybe I just need to get another sample !

I agree the vintage edt was a lot bigger and better, perhaps closer to No. 5 regarding some of the floral aspects; but if the drier more herbal and phenolic vintage Cuir de Russie (vaguely reminiscent of the smell downwind from a peat fire at a Scotch distillery) was all that close to No. 5, I wouldn't be wearing it. Must say though, the newest No. 5 is paler, woodier, less radiant than the older stuff. Hell, I'd be a lot more likely to wear it than a lot of so-called masculine fragrances such as the Godzilla vanilla Dior Homme Intense with its ever expanding tentacles that put you down and suck you dry. :-)
    Pluran I agree MY vintage parfum (1940/50's) is more leathery and animalic and a touch balsamic in the opening which may very well be due to the age of the parfum. The current CdR in EdT and parfum is markedly different to the vintage and lucky for me I enjoy then all. A finger or two of Port Ellen single malt and a few dabs of vintage CdR parfum would be olfactory heaven for me. Now for men who wear No.5 all as I can say is big 'Yes, please!' I have smelt the EdP from the '80's on a guy and it is *yummy* I'm not sure I would feel the same about the modern No.5 as I've yet to have that pleasure but I can confidently say it would be eminently preferable to DHI. Dior Homme is one I wear and enjoy but I can't say the same for DHI. The vanilla in DHI makes it a scrubber for me.
    Last edited by Xscent; 6th January 2015 at 02:19 PM.

Pluran.....The current CdR in EdT and parfum is markedly different to the vintage and lucky for me I enjoy then all. My A finger or two of Port Ellen single malt and a few dabs of vintage CdR parfum would be olfactory heaven for me. Now for men who wear No.5 all as I can say is big 'Yes, please!' I have smelt the EdP from the '80's on a guy and it is *yummy* I'm not sure I would feel the same about the modern No.5 as I've yet to have that pleasure but I can confidently say it would be eminently preferable to DHI. Dior Homme is one I wear and enjoy but I can't say the same for DHI. The vanilla in DHI makes it a scrubber for me.
    Xcent,

Thanks for the reply.

I doubt there are more than twenty guys on this site who'd even sample No. 5, much less wear it. Tells you a lot about men. I've always said a sociologist could get some useful info from this place. Hard to know much about fragrances if you haven't smelled greats like No. 5, Mitsouko, etc.

Tried new Cuir de Russie parfum again tonight. As always, starts off great, less aldehylic, more phenolic, generally more about basenotes. Stays close and soft as many parfums do, not terribly exciting but much better as the animalics become more prominent leading into a decent buttery plush drydown. I can see someone liking it but I’d probably recommend something like Onda extrait (also reformulated and not as good) or Maai. And there’s always Knize Ten, which is hopefully still good. Cuir de Russie hits me deeper in the edt, but it’s probably no surprise because as someone else once said, “...while I like to “smell” parfum extraits, I like to “wear” EDT’s.

Have to wonder how many times Francois Demachy’s formulas for Dior Homme Intense were rejected by Dior. I doubt he'd want his name on something like Dior Homme Intense. I sprayed some into the air from my decant last night. It filled three rooms in a matter of minutes. I told the females in the house it was popular here. It probably didn't increase their curiosity about Basenotes. The first and only time I wore it I felt like it would work well as part of an endurance test for becoming an astronaut. Really contemptible stuff. I mean if someone wants comfort fragrances there are plenty that'll do the job a hell of a lot better. Dior Homme edt on the other hand, great fragrance.

I sprayed some vintage No. 19 edt on the back of my hand the other night. I always forget how great the whole thing is, the complex and masterful basenote accord full of tinctures of castoreum, ambergris, and natural musk, an enveloping, mesmerizing animalic warmth that goes on forever. If I want to be compelled by a woman, that one will do it. My girlfriend doesn’t like to wear it. No big deal. No. 19 was decent until a few years ago but the newest stuff is as as far away from the vintage stuff as a hawk from the moon. Pale with a sweet drydown, one of those I wanted to remove as soon as possible. I’ve tried it a few times. I keep thinking there’s no way it could be that bad. Every time I smell it it is. I’ll try it again.
    Last edited by pluran; 6th January 2015 at 01:38 PM.

Xscent, Pluran, I remember BNer Tott once describing vintage Cuir de Russie to me as 'like vintage No.5 with lashings of birch tar', and I'm totally on board with that.
    It's all in the rich, woodsy-ambery base and I treasure my old bottles of both.
    The current iteration of CdR (EdT) is wholly different: way less phenolic, way more plush floral (iris and ylang in particular). Love it too, though.

Gandhajala doing a side by side of vintage No.5 EdP and vintage CdR EdT now (any excuse really). I can smell the family resemblance. *sigh*

Pluran hehe what a terrible thing to do subjecting all those women to DHI, I suspect all undergarments stayed firmly on . Having the opportunity to sniff the earlier and vintage versions of a few of the Les Excluif fragrances was such an eye opener. Maybe your girlfriend will come around to vintage No.19 but then I'm biased as No.19 was my first bottle I bought myself and the second was Mitsouko which likely says more about me as teen in the 1990's when Calvin Klein and AdG was getting all the love around my way. I don't mind the current No.19 (I try to think of it as a different fragrance to the previous No.19) but there is no need for you to continue to try and like it. I gave up on DHI, it just render the same 'oh dear god, get this off me' reaction time and time again, same goes with Hypnotic Poison.

I was a bit disappointed with Gardenia after wearing it on my arm. It smelled really nice but it quickly became a skin scent. Longevity was rather moderate I could smell it for several hours before it disappeared completely but silage is really poor. What are your experiences with Gardenia?

I was a bit disappointed with Gardenia after wearing it on my arm. It smelled really nice but it quickly became a skin scent. Longevity was rather moderate I could smell it for several hours before it disappeared completely but silage is really poor. What are your experiences with Gardenia?
    I just bought Gardenia last summer in Las Vegas and found that you had to spray it a little heavier than with some of the other Exclusifs. I really like it though, especially if you put a little on your ankles and behind the knees, besides all the usual places, I found it lasted quite well then. They also sell it in Parfum strength on the Chanel website, that would last longer than the edt, I would think.
    No baiting/trolling. No insults. No politics. Read the Code of Conduct.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by Kiliwia View Post
    I just bought Gardenia last summer in Las Vegas and found that you had to spray it a little heavier than with some of the other Exclusifs. I really like it though, especially if you put a little on your ankles and behind the knees, besides all the usual places, I found it lasted quite well then. They also sell it in Parfum strength on the Chanel website, that would last longer than the edt, I would think.
    This is my wife's preferred of the lot. Wasn't aware of the Parfum. Maybe a future surprise gift for her!
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

XScent - I'm focused on what's currently available, not vintage.

"Smells really nice, but fades quickly to a skin scent:" this could describe Sycomore and Eau de Cologne for me (I haven't tried Gardenia yet). On paper, Sycomore is my favorite, but my skin absorbed it too quickly. Eau de Cologne is supposed to be light, right?

I still have a sample of Rue Cambon to try, which also smells great on paper.

Coromandel is great; Bois des Iles is interesting and challenging at the top, and has a great base; and La Pausa smells amazing, but light. Cuir de Russie edt smells nice and performs ok, but I haven't really fallen for it.

"Smells really nice, but fades quickly to a skin scent:" this could describe Sycomore and Eau de Cologne for me (I haven't tried Gardenia yet). On paper, Sycomore is my favorite, but my skin absorbed it too quickly. Eau de Cologne is supposed to be light, right?

Coromandel is great; Bois des Iles is interesting and challenging at the top, and has a great base; and La Pausa smells amazing, but light. Cuir de Russie edt smells nice and performs ok, but I haven't really fallen for it.
    Chanel1 how disappointing Sycomore does last for you. For me it has good longevity for me about six to eight hours before it becomes a skin scent, I'm not sure if it makes any different but my bottle is from 2012. Same as you I find Coromandel the longest lasting of the collection.

Eau de Cologne is light and I do find I have to refresh after a couple hours if I want it to be more than a skin scent, this is why I tend to reach for Bel Respiro if I want something fresh with better longevity. You don't get that same citrus hit of Eau de Cologne but I do enjoy the floral grassy opening of Bel Respiro. As for Rue Cambon longevity is about five hours before I have to put wrist to nose although others, I have read, have found it more fleeting. I've been wearing 1932 today; it and Beige tend to last about five or so hours on me as well before skin scent territory. I tend to spray lightly about four spritzes at the most and top up if needed. If you do end up with the big 200ml bludgeoning size bottles like to think you have permission to be a little trigger happy.
    Last edited by Xscent; 7th January 2015 at 02:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by C Rose View Post
    Don't miss trying 31 Rue Cambon. It's my favorite Chanel -- in fact it's the undisputed favorite of my entire collection. It's been a called "modern chypre", though I don't know about that -- but it's warm, silky, elegant, with lots of iris. I find it quite feminine, but various Basenote's reviewers find it unisex.

I also have/enjoy Bois des Iles and Coromandel. Though I rarely wear them. I also have No. 28 -- bought it for the iris (before I discovered rue Cambon) but it seems flat and lifeless compared to my fave.

Enjoy exploring the line!
    C Rose - I'm trying Rue Cambon now, and I'm impressed.

Sycomore has moderate projection on me. It's my second favorite from the line behind Coromandel. How many sprays did you apply? When I was spraying my sample I applied several sprays on my arm as opposed to spraying once or twice on my arm directly from a bottle at the store. It was potent enough for my coworkers notice it.

The winter weather doesn't make Eau De Cologne shine. This one has potential of being one of my go to scents for the summer, it's that good. Ill probably have to do more wearings come spring.

C Rose - I'm trying Rue Cambon now, and I'm impressed.
    I love this one, I need to find myself a good size decant of it.

Have to say Rue Cambon is my favourite of the newbies. I was really really lucky to get a 30mls decant a few years back for £28, the site has now closed!!! Then went straight on to buy a full bottle. The really weird part is the manageress of my local Chanel counter(they don't stock the Exclusifs), when I chat to her and I wear Rue Cambon keeps asking me what I am wearing as its lovely. LOL
    DONNA

Quote Originally Posted by donna255 View Post
    Have to say Rue Cambon is my favourite of the newbies. I was really really lucky to get a 30mls decant a few years back for £28, the site has now closed!!! Then went straight on to buy a full bottle. The really weird part is the manageress of my local Chanel counter(they don't stock the Exclusifs), when I chat to her and I wear Rue Cambon keeps asking me what I am wearing as its lovely. LOL
    I'm glad they are available in 75mls instead of only 200mls. The small bottles are way more affordable and $160 for 75ml is still relatively good. It would be really difficult to use up 200ml, the only one that I would consider getting a large bottle of would be Eau De Cologne. The large bottle would allow for liberal wearings and reapplications if needed.

^ It's true, introducing the the 75 mL version was a very good move on Chanel's part.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast