Code of Conduct
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast
o

Default Re: Chanel Les Exclusifs - What are your favorites?

Sycomore by far - on both men and women.
    -

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    Tried new Cuir de Russie parfum again tonight. As always, starts off great, less aldehylic, more phenolic, generally more about basenotes. Stays close and soft as many parfums do, not terribly exciting but much better as the animalics become more prominent leading into a decent buttery plush drydown. I can see someone liking it but I’d probably recommend something like Onda extrait (also reformulated and not as good) or Maai.
    I received a 5 ml decant of Maai, and it does remind me of a Chanel. I have so many samples at this point, I still haven't ordered Cuir de Russie or Bois des Iles parfum samples.

My tastes are still developing. At first sniff in the boutique, Sycomore had been my favorite, and on this site everyone recommends it, but when I wear it, I'm not in love. I want to be wearing something else. I didn't really like Cuir de Russie edt at first sniff, or the first time I wore it, but it's grown me. For Bois des Iles, I'm hoping I'll like the parfum more than the edt (I don't love the top of the edt).

So my updated favorites from the Chanel Exclusives are:

1. Coromandel
    2. Cuir De Russie edt
    3. 28 La Pausa

The line currently has 22 offerings (15 edts and 7 parfums), but I've still only tried the seven edts I had read about most (the updated favorites plus Sycomore, Bois Des Iles, 31 Rue Cambon, and Eau de Cologne).

Having sampled a few other niche lines, my connection to the Chanel fragrances has increased, especially the men's designers, but also the Exclusives for challenging scents. I've had less luck with Guerlain, Tom Ford, Creed, Bond No. 9, and Frapin.

Maai is a strong, interesting fragrance, but even 5 ml is more than I needed.
    Last edited by Chanel1; 9th March 2015 at 02:57 PM.

I smelled Misia on paper yesterday. It is a violet-iris-vanilla fragrance very much like PdN Violette in Love. Since I already have a decant of the PdN, I'm somewhat disinterested in Misia. However, it is lovely (I really like the PdN also) so I recommend it as a powdery violet which veers to the feminine side.

I also tested 1932, which was a light and unassuming floral. I've seen this one get trashed in the reviews for lacking originality and radiance. I thought it was somewhat of a wallflower, but in a sweet and unpretentious way. While it doesn't have the brashness or personality of any of the other Chanel florals, I found it to be very wearable, and would definitely explore this one some more.
    I'm rejiggering my fragrance wardrobe and am selling some things in the marketplace.
    Chanel, Guerlain, Dior, SIP, L'Artisan, Misc Vintage Frags
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/465...-Vintage-Frags

I finally got a decant too, and while it's very well done (and that drydown is beautiful), it's not for me at all. A little too far on the powdery scale. Still, top marks for Olivier Polge's first outing.

Also, I totally agree about 1932. A real wallflower; 31 rue Cambon's quieter younger sister if you will. It's the only one so far that I've repurchased because it's so easy to wear.
    Last edited by EMK; 25th March 2015 at 07:06 PM.

I scored a 1932 sample at the Chanel boutique while in Las Vegas! Woot!
    I'm rejiggering my fragrance wardrobe and am selling some things in the marketplace.
    Chanel, Guerlain, Dior, SIP, L'Artisan, Misc Vintage Frags
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/465...-Vintage-Frags

I didn't enjoy 1932 or Jersey at all: they both struck me as neutered versions of existing genres ( jasmine and lavender, respectively ), but I've come around to the fact that those who find those notes too brash might enjoy these. I had a friend who found Fourreau Noir ( my choice of lavenders, along with Vero Profumo Kiki ) too harsh for them, and Jersey was their "just right" lavender.

I own Misia now and it's getting a lot of wear. Like Beige, it occupies that perfect "any time" niche, and I find it very relaxing to wear. On balance, it's much more about violet than iris, but I enjoy that: I have relatively few enjoyable violets in my collection, but a ton of irises.

Banned

Hello everyone. I popped into Saks today to visit my dear friend at Chanel and ended up purchasing a new large bottle of Bois Des Iles. I think I'm more thrilled that she typically gifted me with a new mini of Misia. I only need 5 more to go until my mini Les Exclusifs collection is complete. They're so charming!

Currently wearing: No. 5 by Chanel

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BoyChanel View Post
    I didn't buy Misia yet but I'm still on the fence about it.

I thought I'd share a rather cool photo I took the other day of my dear 31 Rue Cambon with my fellow Chanel lovers

Charming! This is my favorite.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    Charming! This is my favorite.
    Thank you! It's a gorgeous scent indeed!

Coromandel, by far. But I admit, as much as I like the scent, I am not sure I would buy a full bottle....after 4 hours, the scent is almost gone, no staying power compared to my vintage fragrances.

Now, that being said, I had a wonnnnnnnnnnnnnderful experience at Boston's Chanel boutique. It was just after opening last Saturday and there were already several folks milling about the fragrance counter. I was helped by a non-fragrance associate, but she was incredibly helpful. And when she found out I was a fragrance nut, she made sure that I left with 2 samples of Coromandel, both a small vial as well as a small bottle..which I thought was very generous. In return, I let she (and the fragrance lead, once she freed up) to try my vintage fendi and AK II (which I had in my bag due to my recent business travel).

Can't say enough about the service. And it's too bad about the longevity of the scents, because Coromandel smells fabulous.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by TechieTechie View Post
    Coromandel, by far. But I admit, as much as I like the scent, I am not sure I would buy a full bottle....after 4 hours, the scent is almost gone, no staying power compared to my vintage fragrances.

Now, that being said, I had a wonnnnnnnnnnnnnderful experience at Boston's Chanel boutique. It was just after opening last Saturday and there were already several folks milling about the fragrance counter. I was helped by a non-fragrance associate, but she was incredibly helpful. And when she found out I was a fragrance nut, she made sure that I left with 2 samples of Coromandel, both a small vial as well as a small bottle..which I thought was very generous. In return, I let she (and the fragrance lead, once she freed up) to try my vintage fendi and AK II (which I had in my bag due to my recent business travel).

Can't say enough about the service. And it's too bad about the longevity of the scents, because Coromandel smells fabulous.
    Chanel SA's are absolutely wonderful. I'm also surprised about the lack of longevity of Coromandel on you. It lasts for more than twelve hours on me.

Coromandel lasts forever and a day on me as well, but it just doesn't work on my skin at all. I've smelt it on others and it smells heavenly, so there you go; I get the feeling that big heavy orientals just aren't my thing.

31 rue Cambon is an absolute show-stealer. If I could only recommend trying one from the Exclusifs line, it would be that. I have about 10ml left of a 75ml bottle and I'm still discovering new things about it every time I wear it. Beautiful picture, BoyChanel!

Having experienced five from the line, Sycomore is my personal favorite, but 31 Rue Cambon is the most intriguing. The grand modern chypre; a wonderful elixir but too refined and otherworldly for myself.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by EMK View Post
    Coromandel lasts forever and a day on me as well, but it just doesn't work on my skin at all. I've smelt it on others and it smells heavenly, so there you go; I get the feeling that big heavy orientals just aren't my thing.

31 rue Cambon is an absolute show-stealer. If I could only recommend trying one from the Exclusifs line, it would be that. I have about 10ml left of a 75ml bottle and I'm still discovering new things about it every time I wear it. Beautiful picture, BoyChanel!
    thank you! It certainly is an incredible scent! I'm in love as well

Quote Originally Posted by TechieTechie View Post

Wow, Coromandel, on me, is the longest lasting of the bunch - 12 hours at least, and very potent for the first 6 hours or so. Sorry it didn't work for you, but it sounds like you had a wonderful experience at the Chanel counter!

My favorite has to be Cuir de Russie (back before they had the 2.5 ounce bottle) and it was the first perfume that really had me go head long on this expensive perfume journey. My second is no. 22 and that one took a while for me to love.

Banned

I'm purchasing another large bottle today but I'm so torn between Cuir De Russie & Misia; both so different but equally lovely.

I don't have anything that resembles CdR in my collection but I do have some powdery florals (they're not identical obviously but Bois D'Argent instantly comes to mind).

Any suggestions? Thanks, you lovely people

I'm purchasing another large bottle today but I'm so torn between Cuir De Russie & Misia; both so different but equally lovely.

I don't have anything that resembles CdR in my collection but I do have some powdery florals (they're not identical obviously but Bois D'Argent instantly comes to mind).

Any suggestions? Thanks, you lovely people
    How about a compromise? A 75mL bottle of each.
    Otherwise, whichever you prefer. Personally, I strongly favour Cuir de Russie.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by gandhajala View Post
    How about a compromise? A 75mL bottle of each.
    Otherwise, whichever you prefer. Personally, I strongly favour Cuir de Russie.
    Thank you for the reply

Great suggestion but I find the small bottles to be too small and not worth the money. I think I'm leaning towards CdR but i still love Misia too! The problems of perfume lovers haha

Thank you for the reply

Great suggestion but I find the small bottles to be too small and not worth the money. I think I'm leaning towards CdR but i still love Misia too! The problems of perfume lovers haha
    I think Cuir de Russie is easier to wear than Misia, and I'd go as far as to say that CdR is the best leather perfume that money can buy. So there's my vote. Enjoy, either way!

Banned

I think Cuir de Russie is easier to wear than Misia, and I'd go as far as to say that CdR is the best leather perfume that money can buy. So there's my vote. Enjoy, either way!
    Thank you for the advice. How do you find the longevity of the CDR edt?

I just wore Cuir de Russie parfum for the first time. It's impressive, but it's still a stretch for me personally. I want people around me to wear it, but for myself it doesn't quite work.

I also tried the Bois des Iles parfum, and it was also impressive. It makes the top feel more complete than the edt.

Neither of these are going into my rotation, but I love the richness of the openings of the parfums, and for another scent, maybe from the Chanel exclusives, I would like to have the edt and parfum versions. I'm still looking.

Thank you for the advice. How do you find the longevity of the CDR edt?
    Pretty good, around 6 hours. Not the night before/morning after longevity of Coromandel but better than the blink-and-you'll-miss-it of 28 La Pausa.

Banned

Pretty good, around 6 hours. Not the night before/morning after longevity of Coromandel but better than the blink-and-you'll-miss-it of 28 La Pausa.
    Haha, I've never tried 28 La Pausa.

I ended up going with Misia. I'll pick up Cuir De Russie next

Thanks xoxo

Haha, I've never tried 28 La Pausa.

I ended up going with Misia. I'll pick up Cuir De Russie next

Thanks xoxo
    Still a good choice! Not many people out there wearing Misia right now, enjoy!

Banned

Still a good choice! Not many people out there wearing Misia right now, enjoy!
    Thank you! I'll certainly be grabbing it quite a bit given its Spring vibe

Hell, I might yet get on the Misia bandwagon. Trying it again today, there's a really lovely icing sugar quality to it. The violet isn't taking over as much as before, it's much more creamy and lush. Mmmmm.

Hell, I might yet get on the Misia bandwagon. Trying it again today, there's a really lovely icing sugar quality to it. The violet isn't taking over as much as before, it's much more creamy and lush. Mmmmm.
    You're in London trying it in a store?

Quote Originally Posted by Chanel1 View Post
    You're in London trying it in a store?
    No no, from a small decant I have

Banned

Yes, it becomes quite creamy in the dry down and it's wonderful. I wore it yesterday to three great compliments. Funny, i wasn't initially blown away by it but now love it. To my nose, it smells unlike anything else in the collection.

Get it, doll! xoxoxo

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast