Code of Conduct

Default Other people's opinions

Hello,

How much of what you read on here, in terms of opinions and descriptions, do you actually consider of value? After lengthy, beautiful, poetic descriptions I'm often dribbling to get near samples of some fragrances only to discover... grapefruit again and again. Is my nose dull? Perhaps, but not to fragrances I like. Should I just shut up or do you agree that visitors to this site should become extra sceptical of every "unique", "astounding" fragrance?

Default Re: Other people's opinions

It's best to find a few people whose tastes consistently align with yours and pay attention to what they have to say, rather than assuming any good review automatically means you'll like it too. There's such a wide variety of tastes out there, it becomes easier to predict what you will and will not like once you can find a few like-minded noses.

So yes, I think visitors to this site should be skeptical of how other members assess fragrances, until they find a nose or two that they trust.

if you want to be more confident in choosing your scents for sampling you have to do some real detective work on basenotes,
    looking for others whose nose and/or skin is similar to yours. it may be that noses are like snowflakes and no two are exactly alike,
    but little by little you find those whose tastes are similar to yours. start by looking at the reviews of your favorite little known and/or unpopular perfumes
    and see who else is wowed by them.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Nobody View Post

How much of what you read on here, in terms of opinions and descriptions, do you actually consider of value?
    A fair amount.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Tastes vary. Reviews here are informative, when they provide a description of how things smell (which is hard, describing smells is much more difficult than describing, say, something visual). Judgements or rankings need not be, they depend on preferences.

As others said, after a while, one finds people whose tastes appear more aligned to one's own, and so one can trust them a bit more even in the rating.

cacio

This is a great place to find out about what is out there and what you might like base on descriptions. However, trust your nose, and sample first! Your opinions will not match up 100% with anyone else.

On Basenotes I take people's opinions seriously.

Simply because pretty much everyone on here really knows their stuff.
    "I have to return some videotapes"

Should I just shut up or do you agree that visitors to this site should become extra sceptical of every "unique", "astounding" fragrance?
    A healthy skepticism is always a good thing in any field, really. All scents are going to have their cheerleaders, but as others have mentioned, it really comes down to your own experience and taste. Furthermore, personal tastes tend to become more refined over time so whereas you might find a heavily praised scent to be challenging at first, you might return to that scent later with greater appreciation. For me, objective "this is what the scent attempts to do; this is how well I think it accomplishes that" reviews are more useful than a rating system or a "I like/dislike it" response, but once you get to know a reviewer, the "I like/dislike" becomes an objective code of its own.

I agree with this........................

Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    It's best to find a few people whose tastes consistently align with yours and pay attention to what they have to say, rather than assuming any good review automatically means you'll like it too. There's such a wide variety of tastes out there, it becomes easier to predict what you will and will not like once you can find a few like-minded noses.

So yes, I think visitors to this site should be skeptical of how other members assess fragrances, until they find a nose or two that they trust.
    My Top 5, In no particular order
    1). Creed Aventus - S042C13ZZ01
    2). Creed Aventus - C42C14F01
    3). Creed Aventus - FP42C14A02
    4). Creed Aventus - A42B11Y02
    5). Creed Aventus - A42C13Z01

What's misleading is when people give something a negative review when it contains a note they don't like.
    Let's say I don't like rose or tonka but proceed to review perfumes that are advertised as rose or tonka, then give it poor reviews.

Every time I come close to finding a perfumista-twin I read a review of theirs where they say a certain perfume has a lot of so & so note - which leaves me shocked because I don't get that note at all.

I'm not saying I'm wrong or they're wrong - our perception of the perfume is misaligned. But usually they're wrong .

But I don't write those people off, I take into consideration that certain that certain margin of 'gray area'.
    for swap/sale:

What about people who review oud based perfumes & haven't ever smelled real oud?

Or even worse, smelled fake oud ....
    for swap/sale:

Central Florida. 44 years old, de-clawed teddy bear who is as comfortable in a tie-dye as an oxford

There are very few people (here or otherwise) whose opinion on anything as subjective as perfume or another art form is something I'd take very seriously. However there are people here who have led me to blind buys. Both Luca Turin and Darvant (BN member) giving Habit Rouge a thumbs up definitely influenced my decision on a blind buy...and I'm very happy I did. The huge numbers of members here liking Guerlain's Vetiver led me to a blind buy. Again, I'm very happy with it.

However, I nearly bought Jaipur based on so many positive reviews here and was disappointed when I sampled it at the mall. Some things one must try out for one's self, in the end.
    It is true that fish stink. It is also true that the river is
    beautiful. But the river would be beautiful despite the fish. What
    is noxious remains so.

That is not to say that sh*t is not useful when buried in the wheat
    field. Bread made from the field tastes sweet, wine from the arbor
    sweetest. All things serve a purpose, but that is no reason to
    glorify what is abominable. A man must still watch where he walks
    and keep his sandals clean.
    c.21 of the Egyptian Book of the Dead, Trans: Normandi Ellis
    Currently wearing: Habit Rouge by Guerlain

Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post

Makes sense to me.

To get a general description of members opinions sometimes works and sometime misses. As previously mentioned, it's best to find someone who's tasted kind of coincides with yours. Even then, it can still be a hit or miss because everyone still has different taste.

I usually read all the reviews in the fragrance section. Certain members whose taste seems to parallel mine sway my opinion more than others, but I also read the reviews of those whose opinions I usually disagree with. Sometimes negative reviews are more helpful than positive ones. There are several fragrances I have purchassed due to negative reviews!
    Some Favorites
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Perris Monte Carlo Oud Imperial Black
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Masque Milano Russian Tea

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
    Currently wearing: Jubilation XXV by Amouage

While my fragrance tastes are quite personal and difficult to be effortlessly, eagerly influenced, but most of the fragrance opinions other than mine are very important t me, thus often taken account in my fragrance choices and preferences. Even if the respective opinions (albeit quite often marginally and/or indirectly) are different from mine, they often reinforce my fondness for a certain fragrance, strangely reinforcing an already most likely established opinion- and if I still choose this respective fragrance, my option is even more well-considered, in spite of possible outer arguments and/or counter-arguments.

To sum up: all the various other matter to me and even if I do not agree 100% with them, it is always challenging, insightful and instructive to notice and discover from a different perspective, viewpoint why a fragrance is seen as good, remained timeless, may be heavier or less heavy on a certain note etc.
    Currently wearing: Citrus & Wood by Yardley

I think there is tons of value in the opinions expressed here on BN. I also believe 2 keys are needed to unlock that value:
    1. Realize that interpretation of scents is both very personal and incredibly subjective. For every person that loves a given scent their may be 5 who don't and vice versa. The only way to know for sure if you will like it too is to try it
    2. With that in mind, if you notice some has similar tastes their picks might have a greater likelihood of liking what they do. And if a LOT of people tend to like something, odds are it is something you'll be more likely to like.

Everyone needs to sample what they think sounds interesting to them (based on what they read on Basenotes), and then decide for themselves. That's the only safe way.

I've been disappointed countless times, and now I never buy blindly.
    Basenotes sales: By Kilian Straight to Heaven, Heeley Coccobello, Many collectible/discontinued CREEDs (Vintage Tabarome, Citrus Bigarrade, Selection Verte), Bond No. 9 Hamptons, Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Essence de Cerruti, Balenciaga Ho Hang Club, Reyane Insurrection, numerous popular SAMPLES! http://www.basenotes.net/threads/340...ciaga-SAMPLES!

Offsite sales: By Kilian Straight to Heaven, Heeley Coccobello, Vintage Tabarome, Selection Verte, Citrus Bigarrade), Tom Ford Noir de Noir, By Kilian Prelude to Love, Bond No. 9 Hamptons, Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Essence de Cerruti, Balenciaga Ho Hang Club, Reyane Insurrection, numerous popular SAMPLES! http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=260 and http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626

Thumbs up Re: Other people's opinions

Hello,

How much of what you read on here, in terms of opinions and descriptions, do you actually consider of value? After lengthy, beautiful, poetic descriptions I'm often dribbling to get near samples of some fragrances only to discover... grapefruit again and again. Is my nose dull? Perhaps, but not to fragrances I like. Should I just shut up or do you agree that visitors to this site should become extra sceptical of every "unique", "astounding" fragrance?
    What is wrong with grapefruit?
    I kid.
    I really enjoy reading commentary, reviews, et cetera because....
    well, I don't really know.
    Okay. I'm not well versed, but I really enjoy simile: it's fun!
    Negative, positive descriptions = good!
    I have blind-bought as a result of reading a negative review.
    Result? Positive.
    So there it is (for me).
    Love's in need of love today-Stevie Wonder
    Currently wearing: Riviera Goddess by Avon

It's kind of like a puzzle, at least for me. I want to read as much as possible, and then I might feel that I have enough information for a "blind buy." However, even so, I usually want to get a really good deal in case I don't like it, because then I can sell it and get my money back or swap it. I would not buy any expensive niche or exclusive scent no matter how many online reviews made it sound great. I would rather buy a sample, though I can often swap for a sample, in those situations. This policy makes decisions easy most of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post
    Furthermore, personal tastes tend to become more refined over time so whereas you might find a heavily praised scent to be challenging at first, you might return to that scent later with greater appreciation.
    This happened with Onda.

Read all of them, good and bad. Then make a collective opinion. If twenty people say it smells of tonka but only three like it, then you can fairly safely say the note will be a dominating one. If twenty people like it, then it will be blended in well. If you hate tonka, then you know to be wary or avoid.

Read reviews on the perfumes you know first hand. Then you will get an idea of whose nose might agree with your taste. Then look at their own collections and go and try some yourself. If that concurs, you have a guide to follow. It won't be long before you are adding your voice.
    Currently wearing: Gilda by Pierre Wulff