Code of Conduct

Default Starting small, need advice regarding perfume oil business

Hello all, I pray you are well.

This is my first post but selling perfume oil locally has been on my mind for a while.

Being a Muslim, men's fragrances are an integral part my community identity. In recent years I've become drawn to imported Arabic fragrances, and if I could afford it, I would probably spend a fortune on fragrances. Anyway, most of the young guys I know will readily buy or trade for decent quality imported stuff, so I bought some Swiss Arabian branded concentrated perfume oil in bulk...but there isn't much of a profit margin for me. At best, it allows me to come out with a decent amount to keep for myself and enough to buy another bottle.

Thank God I have a job that pays the bills but I would really like to get something going in order to dart getting ahead.

My wife's father runs a homemade incense business up north and I've been thinking about replicating his business model in my area with less expensive mens fragrances.

I'm pretty confident about my business model on the distribution side. What I am confused about is how I should go about choosing the scents, or making the product (if I don't order something ready to use).

I'm trying to keep it simple with about 5 easy to sell mens fragrances.

I want to use roll on bottles and I want the fragrances to be strong.

I see poorly marketed roll on bottles selling around my area and usually they are very weak (probably diluted). They usually sell for just a couple dollars, but I want to provide a higher quality product.

Should I buy off the shelf perfume oil, or should I look into making my own skin safe body oils?

Which fragrances would you suggest for someone trying to get product moving?

I've been planning to include things like Egyptian musk, sandalwood, and Amber, along with more fresh and woodsy pine and cedar.

I am a huge fan of a small bottle of White Oudh (abyadh) with fresh cut wood top notes that I have. Any suggestions on recreating that?

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Starting small, need advice regarding perfume oil business

Buy off the shelf scents.
    Dilute less than your competition for higher strength.
    Use a blend of Cyclomethicone and IPM for dilutants, instead of Alcohol.

Don't try to make your own, unless you embark on a long and steep learning curve to become a Perfumer.
    If you must "Get and Sell" your own fragrances, you should ask/hire someone to make them for you.
    (Oudhy/musky scents are a great task, I'd enjoy making it for you, if you can afford to hire a perfumer...)

Buy great Labels for your roll-on bottles. They'll need to withstand the fragrance oils leaking onto them, without getting ruined. Usually Polyester labels are pretty good for that purpose. (I think, don't quote me...)

I think your first suggestions for Men's scents are a fine starting point for you, and of course adding an oud scent too. This White Oud Sounds intriguing, but also include a deeper-darker oud as well.

Best to you,
    PK
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    In addition to Our own PK line, we make Custom Bespoke Perfumes, perfumes for Entrepreneurs needing scents for perfumes or products, Custom Wedding Perfumes, and even Special Event Perfumes.

Thank you for the reply.

I guess I had two things going on, and I didn't make it clear, sorry.

For the most part, I already knew that I would be using off the shelf scents for selling. I mostly need to know if the wholesale fragrance oils I've been looking at typically need to be diluted.

Any insight into the following companies would be much appreciated:

exoticfragrances.com

newdirectionsaromatics.com

nematinternational.com

madinaonline.com

I suppose I am curious about crafting my own products...for instance I envisioned adding a small amount of Oudh (probably synthetic) to a mixture of rose and sandalwood perfume oils for something a bit more complex... But to start with Im really just trying to get product moving.

I would like to learn how to create my own high quality fragrances using natural ingredients, but that would be more of a hobby/personal interest.

Thoughts?

Basenotes Member

Check out saveonscents.com

There are many many fragrance oil suppliers out there - selling to similar businesses as you are contemplating as well as soapers/candlemakers, but most do not "mix" their own scents, mostly, they've bought in bulk from the manufacturers. You will see,as many of the fragrance oil options are the same,depending on what the supplier decides to carry.

Most fragrance oil suppliers will indicate their recommended dilution range. As you will also see, some sell it already diluted somewhat, and their suggested dilution ratios will differ.

Be careful, some fragrance oils are not meant for perfume oils/application on skin, but for candles, etc. Read the supplier's website, look for usage and safety information.

Basenotes Plus

MANY fragrance oils suppliers sell them prediluted.

For instance Save On Scents. They have three dilutions available. Their "Extreme" is undiluted stock.
    ( I found that their Iso E Super in one pound was a pretty good buy, so I wrote and asked what products were undiluted...)
    http://www.saveonscents.com/product_...ucts_id/203374

If you buy the highest quality/dilution, than you should get the best buy, and not pay for a dilutant getting shipped.

Sorry, but I have not bought any fragrance oils from the four suppliers you mentioned.

PK
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    In addition to Our own PK line, we make Custom Bespoke Perfumes, perfumes for Entrepreneurs needing scents for perfumes or products, Custom Wedding Perfumes, and even Special Event Perfumes.

So I have two suggestions for saveonscents, that means I'll check it out. The other suppliers I mentioned so t specifically say whether they dilute or not which may or may not be a red flag. I need to do more research.

Also, PK mentioned using a blend of Cyclomethicone and IPM for dilutants. How should I determine the ratio and where is the best place to source these?

-Big thanks to all who are contributing!

Default Starting small, need advice regarding perfume oil business

Ok so I went ahead a purchased a bunch of 1oz bottles of the following fragrances to sample and experiment with:

Arabian Sandalwood
    Arabic Coffee
    Aspen (M) |Type*|
    Bakhoor
    Chrome (M) |Type*|
    Deeper (M) |Type*|
    Egyptian Musk
    English Leather (M) |Type*|
    Escaped (M) |Type*|
    Exotic Amazon Teakwood
    Firewood
    Frankincense Classic
    Fusion Sacree (M) |Type*|
    Grey Vetiver (M) |Type*|
    Nautiqa Competition (M) |Type*|
    Oud Black
    Oud Wood (M) |Type*|
    Patchouli (Indonesian)
    Royal Water (M) |Type*|
    Silver Mountain Water (M) |Type*|
    Smoke
    Smokey Oud
    Sweet Oud
    Tobacco Vanille (U) Type

I purchased them all in the Extreme concentration.
    Last edited by Ryanlogic; 28th December 2014 at 05:44 PM.

I thought about getting the sniffie samplers but I really want to be able to give a few samples out to some friends and coworkers. I want to get their impressions before I bite the bullet and buy a few gallons of the ones I think will sell.

Basenotes Member

Read each supplier's suggested dilution rates - as each supplier dilutes their stock at varying amounts. There is no "one size fits all".

Will synthetic fragrance oil blend with natural carrier oils?

Quote Originally Posted by Scarletj View Post
    Read each supplier's suggested dilution rates - as each supplier dilutes their stock at varying amounts. There is no "one size fits all".
    Ok, thanks.

Looking at the usage chart.

http://www.saveonscents.com/usagerates.php

The SOS website states that the extreme concentrates are "Perfect for High-end stores or dilute 1-1 or 2-1 for Strong Body Oil"

Meaning if I diluted 16 oz into a carrier oil I would end about up with roughly 32 oz.

For the price of the extreme, I'm worried about being able to stay competitive.

I'd also go for cyclomethicone etc. like Paul suggested, rather than natural oils, because of the longer shelf life. Natural oils tend to get stale after a period of time.
    Last edited by perfectscent; 29th December 2014 at 10:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by perfectscent View Post
    I'd also go for cyclomethicone etc. like Paul suggested, rather than natural oils, because of the longer shelf life. Natural oils tend to get stale after a period of time.
    How long/how much of a difference are we talking about?

Well that depends on the storage, heat, weather and quality of the oils of course. But the diffrence is years for cyclomethicone vs a year to several months for natural oils.
    Last edited by perfectscent; 29th December 2014 at 08:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryanlogic View Post
    Ok so I went ahead a purchased a bunch of 1oz bottles of the following fragrances to sample and experiment with:

Arabian Sandalwood
    Arabic Coffee
    Aspen (M) |Type*|
    Bakhoor
    Chrome (M) |Type*|
    Deeper (M) |Type*|
    Egyptian Musk
    English Leather (M) |Type*|
    Escaped (M) |Type*|
    Exotic Amazon Teakwood
    Firewood
    Frankincense Classic
    Fusion Sacree (M) |Type*|
    Grey Vetiver (M) |Type*|
    Nautiqa Competition (M) |Type*|
    Oud Black
    Oud Wood (M) |Type*|
    Patchouli (Indonesian)
    Royal Water (M) |Type*|
    Silver Mountain Water (M) |Type*|
    Smoke
    Smokey Oud
    Sweet Oud
    Tobacco Vanille (U) Type

I purchased them all in the Extreme concentration.
    Hi there, this thread is very old but I stumbled on it because I am looking to mix arabian fragrance oils in candles. I wanted to follow up to find out how you found these fragrances and any other vendor you would recommend to purchase wholesale arabian fragrance oils from? Thanks, Aisha

Basenotes Plus

These products above are fragrance oils, as the "Extreme Concentration", gives that away.
    "Ryanlogic" has not been on BN since Jan 2015.
    You have not provided information as to which country you live in, or buy from.

Fragrance oils are available in MANY Countries. You'll need to search fragrance oil product companies in your country or region.
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes