Code of Conduct

Default Diluting Tobacco Absolute

Hi guys!

I have a fragrance product I have been making with a tobacco fragrance oil. I wanted to go the all natural route, so I got some Tobacco absolute from Eden Botanicals. I have a small amount (2ml), and from what I have read, it needs to be pretty diluted. I'll dilute it in some jojoba, since my product already has that in it.

My main question is, well, I've never used an absolute. About what % needs to be the absolute? I have read with some its like 6 to 1, others 10 to 1. I can't find any info on the tobacco absolute, so I was wondering if anyone has used it.

Default Re: Diluting Tobacco Absolute

Absolutes come in different strengths. Some don't need to be diluted at all. Some should be diluted 100:1 (1%). You might start at 10:1 (10%) and see how it goes. I understand that tobacco is quite strong. Remember you can always dilute further, but you can't reduce the dilution.

Also, what are your impressions of the tobacco absolute from Eden Botanicals? I have been interested to smell it, but I haven't ordered any yet.

~Jon

This is my first tobacco absolute, so I have no basis for comparrison other than the fragrance oil. It is a very nice smell, to be sure. If you've tried a tobacco fragrance, it is greener, and of course more natural. It's not quite as smokey as I would like, though my partner says she smells a smokiness to it. She says it just smells like the natural version of what the artificial fragrance is trying to be. The real test will be adding it to my other oils to create the fragrance I was doing with synthetics!

I should note also that I got some of their Immortelle and their Amber. The amber smells amazing. The Immortelle does too, though Im nervous because I've never worked with a thick, semi-solid absolute before. It's like a resin. I think I have to heat it, then heat the oil, and add it to the oil...I dunno, I'm intimidated, but I'll try it soon!

Basenotes Member

Hey there,

If yours is like the other tobacco absolutes I have, it's very viscous and will need to be heated to get it mobile.

Mine are diluted to 10% in ethanol and are quite powerful.

I would try a tiny amount in the jojoba first to make sure it fully mixes with the oil.

This is a relatively expensive product so take steps to make sure you're using it wisely!

Hope that helps.

Basenotes Member

Also, to my nose tobacco absolute smells more like fresh un-smoked tobacco with a honeyed nuance. If you want smokey tobacco you'll need other things with it.

Quote Originally Posted by semanticnoise View Post
    Also, to my nose tobacco absolute smells more like fresh un-smoked tobacco with a honeyed nuance. If you want smokey tobacco you'll need other things with it.
    What would you recommend to lend it a more smokey scent?

I would suggest you get to know know your tobacco first before adding anything to it, as it's an expensive material. Try it in different dilutions - on a test strip and on the skin (in a very dilute concentration on the skin - in both oil and ethanol - and yes, test to see if it will actually dissolve in your carrier oil first).

I have the amber from Eden and it's wonderful!

Cade and Birch Tar are very (very, very) smoky, and may work to add smokiness to the tobacco (used in VERY small amounts).

Basenotes Member

Quote Originally Posted by 2manyhobies View Post
    I would suggest you get to know know your tobacco first before adding anything to it, as it's an expensive material. Try it in different dilutions - on a test strip and on the skin (in a very dilute concentration on the skin - in both oil and ethanol - and yes, test to see if it will actually dissolve in your carrier oil first).

Cade and Birch Tar are very (very, very) smoky, and may work to add smokiness to the tobacco (used in VERY small amounts).
    Agree with the above.

Bulk Apoth has birch tar for cheap as cheap. I'm gonna pick some up. Thanks for the tip!

Quote Originally Posted by monsterman View Post
    What would you recommend to lend it a more smokey scent?
    Hi Monsterman! I have the exact bottles of tobacco absolute and immortelle from Eden Botanicals, and you're 100% right! the tobacco absolute is of a greener nature and leafy. I've used bois d'ensence and birch tar to add a little smoke to it. The birch tar is very phenolic emitting a bar bq like smokiness. You should try diluting this to 1% and adding it to the tobacco component. I would also dilute the tobacco absolute to 5% or as high as 10%. The bois d'ensence can be diluted to 10% and then added to the mixture. I have used cocoa absolute and juniper berry essential oil with these 3 ingredients to make a slightly more piped tobacco accord. To summarize:

Tobacco Absolute = 5%-10% (1 drop)
    Birch Tar = 1% (1 drop)
    Bois D'ensence 10% (1 drop)

Multiply the drops or weight which ever you use to get the desired amount for your formula. For the piped tobacco accord, you'll have to play a bit with different Cocoa Absolutes, and different percentages for both the cocoa and juniper. Hope this helps

Alpha
    Last edited by Alpha2015; 27th February 2015 at 04:23 AM.