Code of Conduct

Default VC&A Bois D' Iris

I just received a bottle of Van Cleef and Arpels Bois D' Iris today on a blind buy. I bought it based upon the presumption that it would resemble Bois D' Argent by Dior. While I definitely pick up on the similarities (which are great), I find that this one is slightly less sweet as it lacks the honey accord, but has greater sillage. This is a wonderful scent which is VERY reasonably priced (at a discount) but not really talked about. Does anyone else have any thoughts about this fragrance?
    Currently wearing: Erolfa by Creed

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: VC&P Bois D' Iris

I own and like both scents. Also find the VC&A less sweet than the Dior.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Plus

Own it and love it

I think it's great. I thought it was pretty similar to BdA in smell but stronger--denser, more projection, and better longevity. I own BdA, but if I didnt, I'd have a tough time choosing between the two. Sometimes I prefer the translucent, cloud quality of BdA, and other times I'd prefer it to be stronger, so Bois d'Iris would be a better choice.

I'll have to smell the two together (I have a sample of it) because I don't remember how they compared as far as sweetness.
    I'm currently selling bottles of the rare cult classic--Keith Urban Phoenix. Send me a private message if you're interested!

Where does the VCA sit on the rooty orris-->sweet floral scale?

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

I'd say closer to the former
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    I'd say closer to the former
    OK, thanks

I have a bottle of this too, but i much prefer BdA. They're definitely cousins.

One grew up to be a lawyer, landed a job at a high profile law firm, and made senior VP not too long after. He drives a Continental GTC, wears tailored suits, and has an impressive wristwatch collection. He may come off as a playboy, but he's madly in love with his wife, and attends every single soccer match his son plays in.

The other cousin was a rebel in high school. All the girls wanted him. He drove an IROC with T-Tops. He thought he was invincible until he got Becky pregnant. Becky's parents found out, and their fate was sealed. He dropped out of high school to get a job at the refinery, and Becky just kept getting bigger and bigger. They bought a ranch house in a suburb close to the refinery so Becky can drop him off to work and then take the mini van to go drop off the kids to school. He likes to have a cold beer and his dinner waiting for him on the TV tray when he gets home from work. After dinner, he retreats to the garage like clockwork. He pulls out an old Dr. Martens shoebox filled with pictures of him and his IROC, and all of the other girls from days gone by.
    Last edited by aphexacid; 25th January 2015 at 11:48 AM.
    Currently wearing: Vétiver by Christian Dior

Quote Originally Posted by aphexacid View Post
    I have a bottle of this too, but i much prefer BdA. They're definitely cousins.

One grew up to be a lawyer, landed a job at a high profile law firm, and made senior VP not too long after. He drives a Continental GTC, wears tailored suits, and has an impressive wristwatch collection. He may come off as a playboy, but he's madly in love with his wife, and attends every single soccer match his son plays in.

The other cousin was a rebel in high school. All the girls wanted him. He drove an IROC with T-Tops. He thought he was invincible until he got Becky pregnant. Becky's parents found out, and their fate was sealed. He dropped out of high school to get a job at the refinery, and Becky just kept getting bigger and bigger. They bought a ranch house in a suburb close to the refinery so Becky can drop him off to work and then take the mini van to go drop off the kids to school. He likes to have a cold beer and his dinner waiting for him on the TV tray when he gets home from work. After dinner, he retreats to the garage like clockwork. He pulls out an old Dr. Martens shoebox filled with pictures of him and his IROC, and all of the other girls from days gone by.

That's quite the story hahaha.... I wouldn't say that they're that much different though.

I'd say thyre comparable to maybe wandering down savile row trying to decide on a tailor for a new bespoke suit. Can't really go wrong regardless.
    Currently wearing: Erolfa by Creed

I wore both of these a bit before deciding I like Bois d'Argent better. The reason, I think, is the prominent myrrh note in Bois d'Argent, which gives it an interesting strangeness and complexity. I really like Bois d'Iris, but it seems a little too simple and straightforward, just iris, woods, and sweetness. When I wore it, my husband thought I smelled like doughnuts. But it is really pleasant to wear.

Basenotes Member

I wonder, as I have "Homme Intense" before reformulation and "Homme" by Dior as well as "Uomo Intense" by Valentino, all of which I tend to cherish but where I at the same time reach a certain saturation if used frequently, how do these compare to this fragrance in your experience? That it is said to be slightly more feminine than "Bois d'Argent" by Dior, which again is said to be at least partially comparable, is not something which would bother me.

Basenotes Plus

apparently Daniel Josier Bois D'Iris is a dead ringer for Dior Bois D'Argent.

I own the Josier scent and it is very good. And not terribly expensive.

Basenotes Member

Thank you, I was though mainly enquiring about "Bois d'Iris" by Van Cleef & Arpels and whether there is redundancy with the fragrances mentioned. It would be ready to order locally. A certain complexity is always welcome to me, but as myrrh is a kind of incence scent, there is a likelihood that I will tire of it as well over time.

Quote Originally Posted by xaml View Post
    I wonder, as I have "Homme Intense" before reformulation and "Homme" by Dior as well as "Uomo Intense" by Valentino, all of which I tend to cherish but where I at the same time reach a certain saturation if used frequently, how do these compare to this fragrance in your experience? That it is said to be slightly more feminine than "Bois d'Argent" by Dior, which again is said to be at least partially comparable, is not something which would bother me.
    I own all of the scents you listed and BdI is a world apart from them. All great but there's something very special about the VC&A perfume. There are some great reviews both on here and on several blogs that are worth reading. The myrrh here adds the sweetness which is neither cloying nor sugary.

Basenotes Member

Thank you. I agree, though I already read through these reviews and I watched two video reviews, one of which I even found rather sympathetic. This is not necessarily to say that these are not elaborated or descriptive enough, though I may take the time to read the written ones again, though they did not seem to convey to me the reasons why this fragrance is beyond these fragrances and why there would be no redundancy. In addition, though with no intention to promote chemical warfare, also please correct me if I am mistaken, there seemed to be a handful of mixed experiences in regards to performance. These could be individual variations but I would expect a certain longevity from a special collection whose remaining stock is available for a more or less reasonable price but whose recommended price has been set in the higher regions.

Basenotes Member

Quote Originally Posted by sucrose View Post
    I wore both of these a bit before deciding I like Bois d'Argent better. The reason, I think, is the prominent myrrh note in Bois d'Argent, which gives it an interesting strangeness and complexity. I really like Bois d'Iris, but it seems a little too simple and straightforward, just iris, woods, and sweetness.
    There is not only myrrh but also frankincense in the latter, so I wonder how myrrh in the other fragrance contributes to one being complex while the other is too simple. It could be that it was incorporated differently. I actually interpreted this to say that the one discussed here does not contain myrrh. I cannot say with certainty before I tried both, which is unlikely due to a limited availability, but I may not have missed it as, contrary to tendencies of being too submissive to esoteric aspects, dusty or smokey incence scents do not intrigue me per se.

Quote Originally Posted by xaml View Post
    Thank you. I agree, though I already read through these reviews and I watched two video reviews, one of which I even found rather sympathetic. This is not necessarily to say that these are not elaborated or descriptive enough, though I may take the time to read the written ones again, though they did not seem to convey to me the reasons why this fragrance is beyond these fragrances and why there would be no redundancy. In addition, though with no intention to promote chemical warfare, also please correct me if I am mistaken, there seemed to be a handful of mixed experiences in regards to performance. These could be individual variations but I would expect a certain longevity from a special collection whose remaining stock is available for a more or less reasonable price but whose recommended price has been set in the higher regions.
    I've had no issues with longevity here.

Basenotes Member

The thing also is, I have relied a number of times now on descriptions of scents, usually in regards to sensuality, which I want a fragrance to interact and synergise with the one present in me, from "For Him Musc Collection" to "Nirvana Black", and while not at all terrible, especially the latter with its hemp and dark red to violet syrupiness, they did not really live up to this particular expectation. It is in the end my responsibility, which is why I am trying to take measures but I see that this would only lead so far without sampling.

There is an organic iris and sea salt shower gel. It uses Florentina iris and while I would assume other ingredients not to be completely odourless, which would mean that this is not a perfect measure, it brings to mind in colours grey and then somewhat reduced violet as well as blue which may however be an association related to the silverness of grey if that makes sense. I could imagine this scent to be worn on formal occasions but it does not necessarily exude sensuality to me.

Quote Originally Posted by sucrose View Post
    When I wore it, my husband thought I smelled like doughnuts.
    Interesting, are you certain that no other aspects contributed to this? That inner Homer Simpson that I thought I had under control through tryannical reigns now may understandably contemplate on taking to the streets a movement of resistance...
    ;(

Basenotes Member

Default Re: VC&A Bois D' Iris

A dry leather and something that I would describe as tobacco glowing in a wooden pipe. This note or composition that I perceive as leather is not as far removed from the isolated leather in "Uomo Intense" by Valentino as claimed. I think that I can sense the quality here, however it seems a bit too linear and too slender not necessarily in projection but in composition to me. I would have wished for an interpretation of sweetness instead of what could be interpreted as sweetness of the tobacco to have been incorporated throughout. There was a reason why I was sceptical about its passionate power beyond an elegant appearance. This is not directed at anyone in particular but folks really should start to contemplate on whether or at least on when to provide input and recommendations to others. After writing this and having it in the back of my mind for its complaining nature, I perceived pleasant but, as applied to both underarms only, faint wafts of sweetness, the harbingers of the drydown as it turns out, reminiscent of the final phase in "Midnight in Paris" in a somewhat softer, more powdery texture which is sharper at the same time. This fragrance has grown on me. I have come to the conclusion that its relatively faint projection even at four healthy sprays and not its composition is an issue for me. This leads to two other caveats, first that what was described as a scent of sweet dough, which is different from the somewhat sharp sweetness mentioned, is difficult to experience and that the attempt to mitigate this issue will consume the fragrance over time, which then again means that I would need to stock up on it.

Having now spent a bit more time with the fragrance, I seem to begin to appreciate it and its understated elegance lacking hauteur. The dry leather brings to my mind in colour and possibly beyond what may be the sometimes peeled trunks of driftwood drying in the sun. It performs reasonably if applied accordingly, which is as mentioned something to be kept in mind. There is an element of a grandparently fireplace at the beginning, likely what I described as glowing tobacco, that I do not like that much.
    Last edited by xaml; 29th April 2019 at 07:41 PM.