Code of Conduct

Default Back to Black vs Tobacco Vanille

Hello! I have already read the thread thas has been posted before about this, but I didn't quite find it helpful. I' m looking for three things on both the fragrances
    1)It's comfort scent factor.
    2)Which one do you like better?
    3)The compliment factor.
    Performance is on par with both on my skin. Please note if you find one of them too feminine for your tastes (basically note if you find btb too feminine )
    Thank you very much!

Dependent L'Homme Blanc Individuel's Avatar
    My avatar is not a self portrait, just in case you were wondering.
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Back to Black vs Tobacco Vanille

Aventus vs Tobacco Vanille. Then Back To Black vs Tobacco Vanille. It's pretty obvious you're into Tobacco Vanille. Have you actually smelled it, or are you just reading stuff online? The only sure way to compare two scents you're interested in is to buy samples and give them a proper wear.

Back To Black is a very different scent than TV. They're miles apart. I bought a sample of Back To Black thinking I'd love it, but even though it's very good, though it's not my style. And that's an important point I think a lot of people don't understand. STYLE. Style is a personal thing. It's about what fits you as an individual. For me, Gucci Pour Homme II is like a compliment machine. If I wear it on a date, I'm almost sure to get a compliment, but it might not work as well for you if it doesn't fit your style and your personality. Lots of guys here rave about Back To Black. Use the search and you'll find a ton of info on it, but the only way to know if it would work for you is to smell it and give it a test wear - or, better yet, a few test wears. Which one of these two scents a bunch of guys on the internet prefer isn't going to tell you which of the two you'd prefer. For me, the answer is TV without a doubt - but I'm not you.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

Actually I own a full bottle of Tobacco Vanille. If I only read about it and were this much hyped it would be a good thing, but I'm not sure if having a bottle and being not that sure about is really nice.

I agree with L'Homme Blanc 100%. Scents are a PERSONAL thing whether you want to accept it or not as it has to blend in well with your skin and it's got to represent you and fit your personality (Which most certainly isn't the one of a self confident leader as you need so much help to pick a scent)! Just pick the one that makes you feel better and that you prefer once you know your skin doesn't make it turn bad.

And for me, my own personal taste, it's TV because on me it turns at the same time sweet but still spicy/sensual and sophisticated. While BtB is just way too sugary/sweet/gourmand for me. I love duality and contrast in my scents. BtB could be very nice as a sensual night scent for the right girl though.

EDIT: And if you're not sure about it you should not have bought a full bottle and no it's not good! And whether 2000 persons tell you how great it is, and the hype around it, it's in your head that matters only.
    Last edited by Detox; 30th January 2015 at 08:57 PM.
    ¤¤ Let's create another Creed thread! ¤¤
    ¤¤ Everytime you talk about batches or reformulations, "God" kills a child. Please think of the children.
    http://www.applepiebrigade.org/wp-co...09/sad-kid.jpg ¤¤

Tobacco Vanille

Quote Originally Posted by bilo View Post
    Hello! I have already read the thread thas has been posted before about this, but I didn't quite find it helpful. I' m looking for three things on both the fragrances
    1)It's comfort scent factor.
    2)Which one do you like better?
    3)The compliment factor.
    Performance is on par with both on my skin. Please note if you find one of them too feminine for your tastes (basically note if you find btb too feminine )
    Thank you very much!
    For me:

1) Back to Black (not entirely sure what you mean by comfort scent factor) I feel comfortable wearing this around others and find it more comforting to me of the two.
    2) Back to Black - by far
    3) Can't recall having received any compliments
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Blog Entries

Actually I own a full bottle of Tobacco Vanille. If I only read about it and were this much hyped it would be a good thing, but I'm not sure if having a bottle and being not that sure about is really nice.
    What convinced you to buy TV then? If you're not sure about it, why compare other things to it? You're better off trying to figure out what you really want rather than comparing things to a scent you're not sure about.

The internet is great for researching fragrances, but I think too many people make the mistake of looking for a consensus. Strangers online can't tell you what fits your style, as if all men are generic and one size fits all. "Dude! Just buy Levi's 511s. Bro! Just buy Aventus! Awe man, just buy a pair of Allen Edmonds shoes and you're set." No, no and no. I'd recommend trying those, but buying? NO. Don't buy 'em unless they're your style. When in doubt, it's helpful to find someone in your real life - offline - whose taste you trust and let them help you. I have a female friend who does this for me. Before I'll drop $200 on a winter coat, I'll take her shopping to get her opinion. She won't even let me send her a pic of it - she wants to see it on me to see if the look works. And in exchange, I'm her go-to guy for relationship advice stuff.

TV vs Aventus, TV vs Back To Black.... it's throwing random darts at a dart board. My advice: Think about what you want from a scent. Then, find scents to give you that.

It's the dead of winter. It sounds like you want a comfort scent that's also a compliment getter. Does it need to be suitable for work, or just for play? For casual or should it be a bit more formal? Is versatility a major factor, or are you looking for a specific use only? Figuring out what you're looking for is the best place to begin. Have you tried Tom Ford Extreme? Prada Amber Intense? Hanae Mori HiM? Dior Homme? Chergui? Coromandel? There are so many marvelous options once you know a bit about what you're looking for in terms of use.

Actually the Aventus comparison was quite an exception from my usual tastes, which is sweet and gourmandish, almost all the time. I'm not really interested in versatility, I want to wear what I like (It's not like there are rules for that) I just avoid being the cologne guy, that's all. And I love Tobacco Vanille, it suits me very well. But for whatever reason I have a lifelong quest to find the perfect sweet and even remotely gourmandish fragrance for me, and that I don't want to be judged for. I enjoy other scents as well, but I will always have this quest of mine in my mind.

Basenotes Junkie

Why spend so much money on something your not sure about.

I read the hype for TV before I even smelt it. And I didn't like it when I smelt it, the clove note I get killed it for me. The dry down was nothing special either and not something I want to smell of.

So I personally don't care how good people say it is... I personally don't like it.

I also don't like Black to Black because I get a similar vibe to TV.
    Last edited by jhericurls; 30th January 2015 at 09:29 PM.

Blog Entries

But for whatever reason I have a lifelong quest to find the perfect sweet and even remotely gourmandish fragrance for me
    That's a great place to start! Instead of this vs TV and that vs TV, if I were you, I'd take what you just wrote and use it for a new post. Something like the following, and then let the suggestions flow in:

"Sweet, Gourmandish Picks Based On Some Info?"
    "I have a lifelong quest to find the perfect sweet and even remotely gourmandish fragrance for me. I'm not really worried about versatility. Here's a few examples of fragrances I love and what I love about them, plus a few I don't like, and what I don't like about them. Based on this info, what do you think I need to try?"

Try something like that and I bet you'll get some excellent advice. I did this a while ago when I was looking for a specific orangey kind of citrus, and in a roundabout way, it led me to what I consider to be a perfect scent for me: TdH Parfum. It's funny, I'd actually written off TdH Parfum since I don't like TdH.

Good luck on your quest!

I found B2B to have a very powdery feel to it, much more different than TV's heavy syrupy feel.

B2B would be more of a comfort scent, but it's not exactly light either.

I like TV more.

Not sure about compliment factor.

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    Aventus vs Tobacco Vanille. Then Back To Black vs Tobacco Vanille. It's pretty obvious you're into Tobacco Vanille. Have you actually smelled it, or are you just reading stuff online? The only sure way to compare two scents you're interested in is to buy samples and give them a proper wear.

Back To Black is a very different scent than TV. They're miles apart. I bought a sample of Back To Black thinking I'd love it, but even though it's very good, though it's not my style. And that's an important point I think a lot of people don't understand. STYLE. Style is a personal thing. It's about what fits you as an individual. For me, Gucci Pour Homme II is like a compliment machine. If I wear it on a date, I'm almost sure to get a compliment, but it might not work as well for you if it doesn't fit your style and your personality. Lots of guys here rave about Back To Black. Use the search and you'll find a ton of info on it, but the only way to know if it would work for you is to smell it and give it a test wear - or, better yet, a few test wears. Which one of these two scents a bunch of guys on the internet prefer isn't going to tell you which of the two you'd prefer. For me, the answer is TV without a doubt - but I'm not you.
    THIS....I own both and have sampled both for quite some time. I've never received a single compliment from either. EVER... Are you fishing for compliments? Between the two, it's a toss up... They have some common notes but don't really smell at all similar. Tobacco vanille resembles an unlit cigar to my nose, while back to black is a honey bomb which dries down to a sweet powder. If you're looking for which is more masculine, maybe Tv... Then again, maybe not. I'd recommend sampling or purchasing decants of both since they're both superb in my eyes.

If you were previously asking about Aventus vs TV, Aventus wins by a landslide if you're looking for compliments.

Basenotes Institution N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer's Avatar

1: Tobacco Vanille - A very comforting smell.
    2: Tobacco Vanille - Warming and pleasing to smell.
    3: As I recall years ago none with Back to Black. Very few with Tobacco Vanille.

Back to Black by far.........

Nevertheless, the both scents are not "comfortable"....

Tobacco Vanille.