Code of Conduct
Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17 18 LastLast

Default Re: Who are YOUR favorite fragrance reviewers on youtube?

Quote Originally Posted by thrilledchilled View Post
    I like Wafts in the Loft
    me too !

Basenotes Plus

Nikhil at Perfume Guru seems to have quit posting his reviews, due to the usual YouTube bullshit he was getting from people who don't have a clue. A shame really, as he was one of the select few I'd actually watch. He still seems to post on his other channel in Hindi.
    Most worn:

Black Comme des Garçons, Borneo 1834 Serge Lutens, Patchouli Santa Maria Novella

Well, 860Cologne is great.

Quote Originally Posted by Scarce View Post

Nikhil at Perfume Guru seems to have quit posting his reviews, due to the usual YouTube bullshit he was getting from people who don't have a clue. A shame really, as he was one of the select few I'd actually watch. He still seems to post on his other channel in Hindi.
    Nikhil is fantastic. He still posts on his Hindi channel. I really enjoy Smells Good as well. It's just so genuine and articulate. I'm really quite sick of the shills.
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

Ash from Gents Scents is up there.
    Redolessence is ok, but he needs to loosen up, as his formal structure does him no favours.
    Cubaknow is entertaining and you can tell he is into it underneath all the humour. (Killafrags also for pure welsh dry humour)
    ScentSense is an easy watch
    FragMental does quite a good job.
    Wafts from the Loft works well.

Smelling Great Fragrance Reviews is too monotonous to bear listening to for long, he really needs to keep his videos shorter to save putting people to sleep.

...the worst one? Easily it has to be Brooklyn Fragrance Lover, he just comes across as a bit dim, and you can almost see him struggling to find anything interesting to say.

Thumbs up Re: Who are YOUR favorite fragrance reviewers on youtube?

anotherFragranceReviewer

Scented Moments

Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

Fav reviewers: Galen (Aetherealist), Jo and Dan for how passionate they are (Wafts from the Loft), Dan for his unequaled brit sarcasm (MrSmelly), Juan for his spot-on descriptions (Hueleme Mucho), Chad for his low profile fun (A gentleman's Journey), Steven Sturgill for his way to make "live philosophy" and that he does it for fun without caring too much (Steven Sturgill), Marc for being clear and straightforward (Robes08), Andrea for her sparkling vids (Curly Scents), Big Beard Business, he's fun.

ok, but I don't watch often: Carlos (Brooklyn fragrance lover), Joy Amin (Joy Amin), Sebastian (Smelling Great Fragrances), Manny (CascadeScents), Max Forti, Maximilian (Maximilian must know). I wish the first 5 were a little sharper in their opinions (or would review only stuff they like, instead of making an online catalog), with a little lower amount of "it's good", and that Maximilian had a little more "dynamic" videos (even if he is very precise and knowledgeable in his vids).

I dislike: jeremy (no need to comment further), CubaKnows (shouts too much, always the same, not funny anymore), timmy (I-buy-my-frags-with-dads-money, jeremy's bro/same mentality towards women), demi rawling (tries to attract male subscribers based on her physical appearance more than her - poor - recommendations), steve (redolessence, boring reviews, unable to give clear opinions, and pretty condescending - honestly, he may knowledgeable, but doesn't know how to present and communicate, he seems to be a pain).

I'm not sure: J-Royl...yes, he is straightforward (I like it), but a lot into mall frags, and I haven't understood yet if he is a cool person or an ignorant douchebag (he seems to be friend with jeremy... that's a bad sign)

I heard this dude does awesome reviews who could he be (shameless plug)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3Ug3S9h8E4&t

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iuhylyf9VY&t

I like Sebastian/Smelling Great Fragrance Reviews - yes, his videos are a bit long, but I find them to be very informative and generally free of the hype that I see in a lot of other reviewers. I usually "watch" his videos while I'm doing other things, so it's more audio in the background.

Que scay-je?

I wanna throw in a nod toward the Scent Land channel. Fragrance YouTubers seem to be generally obsessed with newer/current releases (a recent video highlighting a number of prominent fragrance YouTubers all-time favorite scents underlined just how "contemporary" their tastes lean), but Scent Land talks about the stuff nobody else is talking about: obscure or neglected releases of yesteryear.

Even the Scent Land top ten of our current millennium was full of stuff that wasn't on my radar:

Swap Thread | Sale Thread

Current Favorites
    Aramis Tuscany, Dior Eau Sauvage EDT, English Laundry Windsor, Guerlain Héritage EDT, Lalique Pour Homme Lion EDP, Michael Kors Michael for Men (Vtg), Odori Tabacco, Remy Latour Cigar, Tom Ford Noir Anthracite, Tom Ford Ombré Leather

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks Otterlake View Post
    I wanna throw in a nod toward the Scent Land channel. Fragrance YouTubers seem to be generally obsessed with newer/current releases (a recent video highlighting a number of prominent fragrance YouTubers all-time favorite scents underlined just how "contemporary" their tastes lean), but Scent Land talks about the stuff nobody else is talking about: obscure or neglected releases of yesteryear.

Even the Scent Land top ten of our current millennium was full of stuff that wasn't on my radar:

Interesting enough takes on mostly lower-priced designers. He waxes prosaically about them, so I just sprayed on some Azzaro Visit. It's good, as anything by Annick Menardo usually is. But it's also a $30 perfume now, though probably was better when it was released (~2003). To me, it's just ok. Not offensive at all, fairly nice and safe, but not something I'd ever reach for.
    Most worn:

Black Comme des Garçons, Borneo 1834 Serge Lutens, Patchouli Santa Maria Novella

Interesting enough takes on mostly lower-priced designers. He waxes prosaically about them, so I just sprayed on some Azzaro Visit. It's good, as anything by Annick Menardo usually is. But it's also a $30 perfume now, though probably was better when it was released (~2003). To me, it's just ok. Not offensive at all, fairly nice and safe, but not something I'd ever reach for.
    This video is atypical since he usually focuses on vintage stuff.

As always, mileage varies--folks are as likely to disagree about the impressiveness of a $200 release as $30--but I'm just happy to see someone talk about the stuff nobody else is talking about.

Given how enthralled the YouTube community is by "prestige" designer/niche, it's a pleasure to hear from someone who can get really excited about something like a relatively obscure celebrity scent.

Current Favorites
    Aramis Tuscany, Dior Eau Sauvage EDT, English Laundry Windsor, Guerlain Héritage EDT, Lalique Pour Homme Lion EDP, Michael Kors Michael for Men (Vtg), Odori Tabacco, Remy Latour Cigar, Tom Ford Noir Anthracite, Tom Ford Ombré Leather

Basenotes Plus

This video is atypical since he usually focuses on vintage stuff.

As always, mileage varies--folks are as likely to disagree about the impressiveness of a $200 release as $30--but I'm just happy to see someone talk about the stuff nobody else is talking about.

Given how enthralled the YouTube community is by "prestige" designer/niche, it's a pleasure to hear from someone who can get really excited about something like a relatively obscure celebrity scent.
    I think some guys do go a bit overboard though, hyping relatively inexpensive scents a bit more than is warranted. But that's probably also a reaction to so much over-priced shit literally flooding the market right now, and too often praised by people who ought to know better but seemingly don't. (And yes, that does include some Basenotes darlings as well.)

Perfume has always been peddled to the luxury market where price wasn't much of a consideration for those buying it. The difference now seems to be a larger pool of status seekers who are trying to define themselves with the appearances and trappings of wealth. To that end, higher end perfume is still one of the cheaper routes to get there, at least to that way of thinking, deliberate conspicuous consumption.
    Most worn:

I think some guys do go a bit overboard though, hyping relatively inexpensive scents a bit more than is warranted. But that's probably also a reaction to so much over-priced shit literally flooding the market right now, and too often praised by people who ought to know better but seemingly don't. (And yes, that does include some Basenotes darlings as well.)
    Overhype certainly goes in both directions. There are cheapies that are legitimately brilliant, but they're rare.

Look, I didn't buy (and probably won't buy) any of the Scent Land top ten of the current millennium except for the Guerlain, which I already owned. (I was tempted by Escada Sentiment but decided against pulling the trigger.) Still, I enjoyed the invitation to look into scents that aren't the typical darlings.

What bothers me most about the YouTube fragrance community is a lack of historical awareness or interest in developing it.

The difference now seems to be a larger pool of status seekers who are trying to define themselves with the appearances and trappings of wealth. To that end, higher end perfume is still one of the cheaper routes to get there, at least to that way of thinking, deliberate conspicuous consumption.
    It seems so, though I don't think expensive perfume actually has much social cachet outside of fraghead circles.

Current Favorites

Basenotes Plus

It seems so, though I don't think expensive perfume actually has much social cachet outside of fraghead circles.
    I think it does. How else to explain the ever escalating prices and supply of higher-end stuff on the market? But I'm guessing. My social orbit doesn't include areas where there would be any social cachet or benefit to wearing expensive perfume.
    Most worn:

Basenotes Plus

What bothers me most about the YouTube fragrance community is a lack of historical awareness or interest in developing it.
    ^^ This.

I think it does. How else to explain the ever escalating prices and supply of higher-end stuff on the market? But I'm guessing. My social orbit doesn't include areas where there would be any social cachet or benefit to wearing expensive perfume.
    My professional orbit does, and supports your theory. I'm a private chef, with One Percenter clients, and you'd be shocked at how many of them are steered by a boutique SA toward a Roja or JAR or Clive with a 4-figure price tag and scoop it up without a second thought.

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

Depends on the 'expensive' ..... Slumberhouse and Bogue (both on the expensive side) are probably aimed at perfume enthusiasts.

Clive Christian, Roja Dove, Louis Vuitton, Creed et al are definitely not. Their target audience is luxe shoppers, not forum freaks.
    50 sprays a day keeps the doc away

Perfume Reviews
    Sale Thread
    Swap Thread
    Wanted Thread

I don't think folks in any class really know enough to sniff the air and recognize a pricey scent.

Rich people, or people who aspire to wealth, like to spend money on expensive things because expense is associated with quality. This is an upper-class mentality. Rich people are, as a group, not discriminating consumers, largely because they don't have to be. They know which watch brands cost a lot of money, but they don't know what the merits of purchasing a Grand Seiko are versus the merits of purchasing a Cartier.

If you were to try and fake being wealthy, you'd get more mileage out of more visible displays of wealth, i.e. clothing and shoes, than from wearing expensive perfumes.

Current Favorites

I have a difficult time finding YT fragrance videos that resonate with me. A lot of them seem to be very focused on expensive, niche stuff that isn't necessarily what I'm looking for. I do OK, but honestly, I don't have the kind of disposable income to drop $300 or more on a Creed (no knock on the house, for the record) or similar.

Also, a lot of the reviewers are young compared to me (I just turned 50), and that seems to be a bit of a turn-off for me. I get the sense that those reviewers aren't really looking for the same qualities, attributes, and feel from fragrances that I am. I have to take a lot of them with at least a grain of salt. I'm not at a point where this is my biggest hobby, and sometimes it's difficult to find reasonably-priced stuff that I really like.

To actually answer the original question, though, I'd have to say that Joy Amin is my favorite. I distinctly get the feeling from him that he's 100% sincere and the only reason he's even on YT is to share his love for fragrances. That's the kind of person I want to watch and listen to.

Quote Originally Posted by swangner View Post
    To actually answer the original question, though, I'd have to say that Joy Amin is my favorite. I distinctly get the feeling from him that he's 100% sincere and the only reason he's even on YT is to share his love for fragrances. That's the kind of person I want to watch and listen to.
    I like watching Joy, but his tastes skew very contemporary and designer-y (he's admitted he doesn't really like green scents, which writes off a lot of stuff), so I take his recs with a grain of salt.

Current Favorites

Quote Originally Posted by freewheelingvagabond View Post
    Depends on the 'expensive' ..... Slumberhouse and Bogue (both on the expensive side) are probably aimed at perfume enthusiasts.

Clive Christian, Roja Dove, Louis Vuitton, Creed et al are definitely not. Their target audience is luxe shoppers, not forum freaks.
    This.

Slumberhouse and Bogue are independently-owned "niche houses"

Clive Christian, Roja Dove, Louis Vuitton are "luxury mass market brands" (most of them are now just brands of large luxury corps).
    Creed is a "luxury mass market house" (one of the few to be independently owned) for most of their products (Aventus, GIT, Silver Mountain Water...) but still keep a small custom-design activity for some clients, and thus has some kind of small "niche dept" within the mass market machine

Both target the luxury customer segment, but the first targets the trained noses sub-categories (fragheads who can afford it), while the second target the mass market who can afford it (aka new rich)

50 years ago, the cosmetics industry had just one segment, because it was not worth creating specific lines/brands for just 0.1% of the customers. Now, this segment has increased a bit - in terms of total population - but a lot - in terms of market segment - and is more like a "5%", while the other segment (formerly the low/mid/midly rich segment) has decreased noticeably in numbers and been downgraded to a mid-low income segment - in the best case - or simply is not a customer segment anymore (downgraded to low income), due to how the world works: the reason why cheapies are now widely available and discounters are sucessful ventures.

Of these 5% of "small-in-size-but-large-in-revenues" luxury customer segment, my reasonable GUESS would be that it's composed of:

(A) 1% of rich-incomes educated in perfumery (aka "rich fraghead" and in some cases unfortunately... "rich fragsnobs")
    (B) 19% of rich-incomes uneducated in perfumery (aka "new riches/finance bros who don't know what to do of their money/kids and spouses of the first 1% looking for a hobby")
    (C) 75% of HENRYs - High Incomes that are Not Rich Yet - uneducated in perfumery who think they belong in the first 20% category while they are not yet - and most of them will never be (aka "millenials that spend all they earn in parties, non-essentials and travels without saving a $")
    (D) 3% of HENRYs educated in perfumery (aka "mildly rich fragheads")
    (E) 2% of mid-low incomes educated in perfumery (aka "fragheads that spend the money they don't have because of passion/deal hunters/real fragheads") - usually the sub-segment the most knowledgeable in perfumery given the amount of research/testing they do before spending their precious dollars

Creed, as well as all the global groups-owned brands like Bond n.9, Malle, Tom Ford, Amouage, Montale, Clive Christian, Roja Dove, and Louis Vuitton, target mainly segments B and C (the easiest customers to reach), with luxury products pretty easy to wear (with some exceptions, trying to keep a now long-gone "niche image"). The same segments are targeted by the "basic bro-youtube reviewers" (you know who I am talking about), that's why such brands use them to advertise.
    (Obviously , customers A, D and E may also be customers of mass market luxury houses/brands, but not their main target)

Then, there are real niche houses that are ultra expensive (Slumberhouse, Puredistance, Bogue, Areej le Dore, Bortnikoff...) but under-the-radar (unless one is educated in perfumery), who target segment A and D, with segment E going mostly for decants (if they do).
    And then, there are real niche houses that are (more) affordable (ELdO, January Scent Project, Monsillage, Rania J, Olfactive Studios...) and target primarily D and E (not expensive enough to get interest from "A fragsnobs", but yes for "A fragheads" who do not limit their research to bricks and mortar luxury dept stores)

This is just my guess (I'm not in cosmetics marketing, even if I received some marketing basic education in the past). I have no data as if some categories are (or are not) on basenotes and participate (or not) in specific threads on BN, but I have my little idea on that too...
    Last edited by Andy the frenchy; 5th June 2019 at 06:32 PM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by swangner View Post
    I have a difficult time finding YT fragrance videos that resonate with me. A lot of them seem to be very focused on expensive, niche stuff that isn't necessarily what I'm looking for. I do OK, but honestly, I don't have the kind of disposable income to drop $300 or more on a Creed (no knock on the house, for the record) or similar.

Also, a lot of the reviewers are young compared to me (I just turned 50), and that seems to be a bit of a turn-off for me. I get the sense that those reviewers aren't really looking for the same qualities, attributes, and feel from fragrances that I am. I have to take a lot of them with at least a grain of salt. I'm not at a point where this is my biggest hobby, and sometimes it's difficult to find reasonably-priced stuff that I really like.

I'd suggest you try to look a few vids from Galen (Aetherealist): he focuses on what he likes, independently of the cost, but always staying down-to-earth with good tips, since he also does not have unlimited frag budget, and is not interested in the amount of subscribers (thus he doesn't receive free bottles from brands, and his reviews are honest).

I like watching Joy, but his tastes skew very contemporary and designer-y (he's admitted he doesn't really like green scents, which writes off a lot of stuff), so I take his recs with a grain of salt.
    I agree with that statement. His good mood is relaxing, nice to watch, but contemporary-focused and his judgements of fragrances are unclear (a criticism I often do to many "politically correct" reviewers).

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    ^^ This.

My professional orbit does, and supports your theory. I'm a private chef, with One Percenter clients, and you'd be shocked at how many of them are steered by a boutique SA toward a Roja or JAR or Clive with a 4-figure price tag and scoop it up without a second thought.
    I feel like we should all gather round the camp fire and let you tell us stories. I can’t help but imagine you’ve got some great ones. I’ve got some too but they general start with, “Boudreaux...” or, “hold my beer and watch this...”
    Sent from the bayou, using homing gators.

Sebastian by far. but i also am liking FragMental a lot lately.

i’m thinking of starting to do my own.

I never really got much out of the reviews but I do enjoy the videos where they bash each other. Kind of like watching American Idol for the terrible singers at the beginning.

Quote Originally Posted by jkonick View Post
    I like Sebastian/Smelling Great Fragrance Reviews - yes, his videos are a bit long, but I find them to be very informative and generally free of the hype that I see in a lot of other reviewers. I usually "watch" his videos while I'm doing other things, so it's more audio in the background.
    It's interesting that fragrance gains any sort of traction on YouTube - I get the popularity of food on Instagram etc., eat with your eyes and all that, but for something you can't sense (literally) it seems strange. Anyway, maybe that's the point.

If I do look for fragrance reviews on YouTube, I'll go for long and monotonous every time. Not only is it likely to be more impressionistic, by someone confident and comfortable both describing a scent and giving their opinion, but it means they're not just reeling off a script. No offence to half of the 'decent' popular reviewers - the two NY ones - but I can read fragrantica and find out what the notes are. Half of their reviews are just to see the bottle on a video screem

One who really takes the 'long', story-telling approach is this guy:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeJ...LZVNweQ/videos

It's sort of stream of consciousness in that it's very much 'listen to him talk', but clearly preparation goes in to it. But more than that, it's something that you can just stick in and, if you want to, listen like a podcast. It's of a format where actually listening/watching to someone is interesting, because they're giving you their opinions on the fragrance in a really detailed, impressionistic way. He does veer a bit too often towards simply 'praising' a scent in a vague way, but that's part of it - it's very much like someone telling you a story, a personable approach to reviewing. Aside from that, I like his taste - he leans towards good quality, timeless scents, with a bias towards orientals and chypres. That's my style, so I enjoy what he's reviewing - it's also nice to see someone else give an opinion on a perfume you like, particularly when not that common. Other than that, there are no gimmicks - I take it he was born in South Asia and moved to Britain, and he extols many of the virtues of both places. Just seems a really genuine, polite, thoughtful man.

Definitely not someone to watch if you want brevity and incisiveness, but if you like the storytelling element - this is the channel to watch.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Diddy View Post
    I feel like we should all gather round the camp fire and let you tell us stories. I can’t help but imagine you’ve got some great ones. I’ve got some too but they general start with, “Boudreaux...” or, “hold my beer and watch this...”
    Nothing wrong with a good Boudreaux story.

EVERY private chef has stories. Most involve alcohol, and many involve private airplanes.

Basenotes Junkie

Big Beard Business
    Brooklyn Fragrance Lover
    Cubaknow

Quote Originally Posted by slpfrsly View Post
    It's interesting that fragrance gains any sort of traction on YouTube - I get the popularity of food on Instagram etc., eat with your eyes and all that, but for something you can't sense (literally) it seems strange. Anyway, maybe that's the point.

If I do look for fragrance reviews on YouTube, I'll go for long and monotonous every time. Not only is it likely to be more impressionistic, by someone confident and comfortable both describing a scent and giving their opinion, but it means they're not just reeling off a script. No offence to half of the 'decent' popular reviewers - the two NY ones - but I can read fragrantica and find out what the notes are. Half of their reviews are just to see the bottle on a video screem

One who really takes the 'long', story-telling approach is this guy:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeJ...LZVNweQ/videos

It's sort of stream of consciousness in that it's very much 'listen to him talk', but clearly preparation goes in to it. But more than that, it's something that you can just stick in and, if you want to, listen like a podcast. It's of a format where actually listening/watching to someone is interesting, because they're giving you their opinions on the fragrance in a really detailed, impressionistic way. He does veer a bit too often towards simply 'praising' a scent in a vague way, but that's part of it - it's very much like someone telling you a story, a personable approach to reviewing. Aside from that, I like his taste - he leans towards good quality, timeless scents, with a bias towards orientals and chypres. That's my style, so I enjoy what he's reviewing - it's also nice to see someone else give an opinion on a perfume you like, particularly when not that common. Other than that, there are no gimmicks - I take it he was born in South Asia and moved to Britain, and he extols many of the virtues of both places. Just seems a really genuine, polite, thoughtful man.

Definitely not someone to watch if you want brevity and incisiveness, but if you like the storytelling element - this is the channel to watch.
    Thinking about it, most people who watch the reviews might be looking for something other than a description of how the scent develops over time and what it is similar to, because those are the most important things, IMO, and are rarely addressed by the reviewers (or it is done in a clearly inadequate way). Perhaps they are looking for a guide, or they bought a bottle and want to hear someone say good things about it, etc. It is quite amazing how bad almost all the Youtube reviews are, but my sense is that most of the reviewers are newbies, attention seekers, or those who want to wax poetic about what they perceive to be works of art.

Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17 18 LastLast