Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Tester way more potent than retail juice

I know for sure now having done a side by side on ADP Oud The alcohol is detected big time in the retail bottle , almost having a watered down effect while in comparison the tester was so amped up with sandlewood and Oudh heavy I could not belive it.....but this was only noticeable through the top and heart notes. Bet you know which one I own?

Default Re: Tester way more potent than retail juice

I thought you own a bottle and wore it and then that salesguy asked you to get him one and that whole story...?

I'm copying pasting an earlier response about this general subject. This post is from another forum and from a couple of years ago... but just thought I'd post it here incase anyone is interested to start the discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by Master-Classter View Post
    OK, so a point I thought I'd drop in here since y'all the type of guys who will probably care. Someone PM'd me a question about Testers being different from the bottles for sale. I've collected for years, own testers and retail bottles and also recently worked in the business at a high end dept. store selling the stuff for a few years, so take the opinion's source into consideration.

The "Testers are different from retail bottles" theory is one of the big myths out there with consumers. It's rather conspiracy theory like... but there is a sort of difference which I'll explain below. The short answer is that as far as I know there is NO difference with tester bottles and regular retail bottles. Firstly, in terms of production, you have to remember that these guys have assembly lines pumping out thousands of bottles. It's a hell of a lot easier for them to just make a few more and either not box them or blankbox them without caps to send out along with the product. Why would they bother making a whole new formula and then starting another production run just for a few hundred bottles. Plus think of all the obvious returns when customers smell a different fragrance in the tester and bottle. People smell 30-50 fragrances at a shop, they know what it smells like and would notice if there was a big difference. Secondly, what you may not know but having worked behind the scenes I can tell you, is that often the tester bottles are actually retail bottles. For many lines, when they launch the line they just open a bunch of product and get a credit note from the vendor. Some lines literally open their retail bottles and put them out as testers. Or sometimes testers are returned retail product from customers that the vendor credits the store for and is either thrown out or used as a tester.

Now... all that being said, are there unintentional difference between the bottles on display and what you take home. YES, sometimes, and here's why. The batch where the tester and product come from are probably different. Testers may last 3-6 months while the stock turns over every month or two, plus it's coming from a big ol' distributor who may be recirculating stock from other stores or the manufacturer etc so there are batch differences. Second, the bottle on display is exposed to bright store lights, constant shaking by customers/SA's, and often has air in the bottle from being half full or less so it oxidizes. Plus the retail bottles are often stored poorly like in cold storage facilities or left near hot air vents or under hot display lights. i've been shocked at how poorly stock is treated before customers buy it, we constantly dropped boxes, stored them in not ideal conditions, cleaned and resold returned stuff (ok rarely, but yes), etc. Even with high end retail, it's about moving product and not taking returns (personal commission is lost and line sales reversed).

So yes, sometimes there are uninentional differences, and SA's generally will not know this / think about it, or ever admit to it, and certainly not want to take returns. Uh, returns suck for us, we hate it. Smiley face yes, but inside we're thinking of reasons not to give it. Sorry, sort of side rant there.

anyway, hopefully somewhat interesting for you guys.
    Last edited by Master-Classter; 9th February 2015 at 05:03 AM.
    Tom Ford Splits: ORIGINAL AMBER ABSOLUTE AVAILABLE (PreReformulation)!!!
    ONE LEFT:
    Italian Cypress, Azure Lime, Costa Azzura, Patchouli Absolu, Mandarino Di Amalfi

Also: Tobacco Vanille, Tuscan Leather, Oud Wood, Noir de Noir, Neroli Portofino, Lavender Palm, Plum Japonais, Champacca Absolute
    Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

I had two bottles. One which was mine that is the tester and one that I picked up for the guy and returned for Indonesian oud which I love but everyone thinks smells like shiznit. I had never heard of the Conspiracy but I noticed the difference right away.

Quote Originally Posted by shoguns2480 View Post
    I had two bottles. One which was mine that is the tester and one that I picked up for the guy and returned for Indonesian oud which I love but everyone thinks smells like shiznit.
    At least you have two fragrances in your possession that you love. Enjoy!
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

No, not again! Seriously, it's always possible that a tester bottle is an older, better/stronger formulation, but in general the testers are in retail locations that allow for "no questions asked" returns, so it would be stupid to have a better formulation for a tester as general policy. There is also the issue of how formulations come into being, and everything I've read suggests there isn't even talk of different formulations for testers.
    Last edited by Bigsly; 6th February 2015 at 11:27 PM.

Same juice

Quote Originally Posted by bigsly View Post
    no, not again! [u]seriously, it's always possible that a tester bottle is an older, better/stronger formulation,[/u] but in general the testers are in retail locations that allow for "no questions asked" returns, so it would be stupid to have a better formulation for a tester as general policy. There is also the issue of how formulations come into being, and everything i've read suggests there isn't even talk of different formulations for testers.
    this!!!
    "Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see."
    -Hebrews 11:1
    Currently wearing: CH Men by Carolina Herrera

Nonthaburi (a suburban province located immediately to the north of Bangkok)
    Blog Entries

IMO, they are the same juice, but from different reformulations.

I have tried MI tester & bought 2 bottles, each bottles smells and performs different.
    ***My favourite from my collection***

-------- Amouage: Tribute Attar, Jubilation XXV, GoldMan
    ------ Serge Lutens: Chêne, Tubéreuse Criminell, Ambre Sultan
    -------- Les Exclusifs de Chanel: Sycamore, Coromandel
    ------ Tom Ford Private Blend: Noir de Noir, Tobacco Vanille
    ------- Hermès: Terre D'Hermès Parfum, Ambre Narguilé
    ------ EDP Frederic Malle: Carnal Flower
    -------- Neela Vermire Creations: Trayee
    ------ Parfum MDCI: Invasion Barbare
    Currently wearing: Bayolea by Penhaligon's

Agree that they are the same juice. The air introduced into the bottle from being used and the age of the bottle probably account for the difference.
    Current Summer Favorites:

1. Creed - Original Cologne
    2. Xerjoff - Nio
    3. Creed - Aventus
    4. The Different Company - De Bachmakov
    5. Dior - Homme Sport 2008
    6. Tom Ford - Grey Vetiver
    7. Montale - Aoud Legacy
    8. Dior - Homme Sport 2012
    9. Tom Ford - Rive d'Ambre
    10. Creed - Virgin Island Water

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by Wit_Siamese View Post
    IMO, they are the same juice, but from different reformulations.
    Last year one of the big department stores near me were still using vintage Dior Homme testers with the silver tube.
    Currently wearing: Grey Vetiver by Tom Ford

Creed is known for batch variations. Guys I'm really not a conspiracy nut and had no knowledge of this debate until now. I really was just so shocked at how much stronger the oud and sandlewood there was in the tester I recived direct from ADP in Milan for a defective bottle I bought. I'm telling you its night and day. I never noticed or thought about it and have bought many testers of other frags before that were exactly the same thing as regular bottles. But even other people I live with commented that something seemed different and stronger about my signiture scent. I Might be a little nuts but my sniffer is in in tip top shape......
    Last edited by shoguns2480; 6th February 2015 at 11:57 PM.

One of them is off.

Testers/retail are identical.

For mass production & economies of scale reasons.
    for swap/sale:

Basenotes Junkie

Compare the batch code for dates and you know that one is the reformulated version.

identical juice, testers are usually older and possibly mishandled. Same exact juice tho

Don´t forget the chemical reaction inside the bottle as soon as you start using the fragrance.

The older the juice is after using, the stronger it is.

Basenotes Plus

Identical. The juice costs very little.
    Currently wearing: Acqua Viva by Profumum

Dependent

Check out youtube reviewer 860cologne. He does a great video on the subject.

Quote Originally Posted by jhericurls View Post
    Compare the batch code for dates and you know that one is the reformulated version.

This is a good idea. There are a few websites where you can verify batch codes for packaging dates.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchapalooza View Post
    Check out youtube reviewer 860cologne. He does a great video on the subject.
    Can you provide a link ?

Not necessarily identical. Some retail establishments (not the manufacturer) make the best versions testers. For instance Luckyscent had an older 13R01 batch of Aventus as a tester even though every other establishment in the area has been using 2014 batches for quite some time. In addition they display many of the unreformulated Amouage fragrances while they sell only the reformulated ones. I doubt this is done completely unintentionally.

Dependent L'Homme Blanc Individuel's Avatar
    My avatar is not a self portrait, just in case you were wondering.
    Blog Entries

People like to believe in conspiracy theories, but the idea that a fragrance house would create two versions of a fragrance - one to sell and one for testing - is silly. It would double a fragrance house's costs to manufacture two separate batches of juice even though they're only selling one, and they'd still have to follow the same regulations for the tester bottles since they still contain perfume.

Quote Originally Posted by Poohdini View Post
    identical juice, testers are usually older and possibly mishandled. Same exact juice tho
    This.

Testers in stores are often retail bottles taken straight off the shelf - though not usually by the SA since the store has a different way of accounting for bottles that end up not being for sale, just as they have a different way of accounting for returns (if the store allows returns, of course).
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by thatmakesscents View Post
    Can you provide a link ?
    Idk how on my phone, sorry :-/

I have left Basenotes due to excessive childish behavior by community members.
    If you need to contact me, please use alternate forms of communication.

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    Testers in stores are often retail bottles taken straight off the shelf - though not usually by the SA since the store has a different way of accounting for bottles that end up not being for sale, just as they have a different way of accounting for returns (if the store allows returns, of course).
    Not always the case, a few fragrances I have seen do have the label " Tester not for resale" and come packaged in plain white boxes. But no doubt they are the original formulation as its not for sale and not subject to the same regulation.

Dependent L'Homme Blanc Individuel's Avatar
    My avatar is not a self portrait, just in case you were wondering.
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jhericurls View Post
    Not always the case, a few fragrances I have seen do have the label " Tester not for resale" and come packaged in plain white boxes. But no doubt they are the original formulation as its not for sale and not subject to the same regulation.
    I didn't say it was always the case. The exact word I used was "often."

I own a tester bottle of TdH Parfum. It's the same bottle, just marked differently (it has a bit of text down the side noting that it's a tester), and I'd bet the marking is done for the sake of accounting and taxation due to the fact that for Hermes, the bottle is a financial loss. It's kind of like promo copies of CDs. The disk is almost always the same, but it may have a different label and sometimes the CD jewel box will even have a notch cut into it - as in, physical damage, can't be sold, and thus doesn't count toward the total number of disks produced for sale. But I've also seen testers of TdH Parfum in stores that don't have that tester text down the side because the store uses actual retail bottles - perhaps because a tester ran empty and they took a retail bottle from inventory.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

Quote Originally Posted by NeoXerxes View Post
    Not necessarily identical. Some retail establishments (not the manufacturer) make the best versions testers. For instance Luckyscent had an older 13R01 batch of Aventus as a tester even though every other establishment in the area has been using 2014 batches for quite some time. In addition they display many of the unreformulated Amouage fragrances while they sell only the reformulated ones. I doubt this is done completely unintentionally.

I totally agree with this. It happened to me once at LuckyScent. I don't expect anybody to throw out tester bottles just because of a reformulation. Especially when it is better than the current offering. Buying fragrance these days is totally buyer beware. Not much different than buying drugs from a dealer.

But some guys on here are raving about fragrances that last 3 hours. How can you blame them..people are buying it.

Quote Originally Posted by thatmakesscents View Post
    I totally agree with this. It happened to me once at LuckyScent. I don't expect anybody to throw out tester bottles just because of a reformulation. Especially when it is better than the current offering. Buying fragrance these days is totally buyer beware. Not much different than buying drugs from a dealer.

But some guys on here are raving about fragrances that last 3 hours. How can you blame them..people are buying it.
    Exactly. But I don't think it is entirely by accident that Luckyscent 'just happens' to have as a tester one of the best batches of Aventus. Things like this are exactly why I pay close attention to batch variations and reformulations.

My thought is that A. The testers may have more actual fragrance in it. Not that hard to change the settings on your last batch of bottles to increase from an Edt (edc) to edp. OR perhaps ADP has gone the way of DHI....? Maybe different formulas for different markets..?????? All I know without a question of a doubt is that the tester direct from milan is out of control stronger then the one from bloomies and just to be through i went to nordstrum and got a sample to compare. I suppose it really does not matter because the tester I have smells leaps and bounds stronger and has much fuller heart notes than the very alcohol smelling other ones I mentioned. I don't pretend this makes sense but I , and so far 2 other people I've had sniff, can atest to the difference in strength. Maybe it's just a fluke and the formula got overdone on one batch and they damaged it out and used them as testers. Thanks for all the feedback both in support and against this theory....I make mistakes sometimes ...but the difference in intensity is so obvious that there is no way I can second guess myself.

Quote Originally Posted by shoguns2480 View Post
    My thought is that A. The testers may have more actual fragrance in it. Not that hard to change the settings on your last batch of bottles to increase from an Edt (edc) to edp..
    Have you been reading this thread???

1- The manufacturer can not simply "flip a switch" on a production line and magically change concentrations instantly to save money
    2- You have to shutdown and reconfigure a production line which is extremely expensive. More expensive than the juice.
    3- You are not saving money by constantly reconfiguring a production line for a batch of tester bottles
    4- The change in production costs is more expensive than the costs savings in in a lower concentrated juice
    5- If they really want to save money you simplty lower your PACKAGING costs not the juice
    6- THE JUICE WHETHER EDC, EDT, OR EDP IS CHEAP!!!! THERE IS LITTLE COST SAVINGS HERE. YOU WOULD SAVE MORE $ IN THE PACKAGING!!!

HERE IS A LINK. JUICE IS 2% OF THE ACTUAL COST. YOU DO NOT SAVE $ FOCUSING ON 2% OF YOUR COSTS. YOU FOCUS ON OTHER AREAS! OR YOU GO OUT OF BUSINESS. OR YOU GET FIRED...

http://www.dailyfinance.com/2012/05/...ost-breakdown/

This is also why most reformulation rumors are bullsh@t. They happen, but not as often as is claimed. THEY ARE TOO EXPENSIVE! They are rumors. There is little to no economic benefit to allegedly "watering down" the juice.
    Last edited by SmellyFinger; 8th February 2015 at 12:42 AM.
    Daytime
    Dior Homme Sport (2012)
    YSL L'Homme
    Issey Miyake L'Eau D'Issey pour Homme
    Bentley For Men Intense
    Ralph Lauren Polo (Vintage)
    Dior Fahrenheit (2013 & Vintage)

Nighttime

Dior Homme Intense
    YSL La Nuit de L'Homme
    VC&A Midnight in Paris
    V&R Spicebomb
    Calvin Klein Obsession for Men (Vintage)
    D&G The One (Holy Grail Edition)

My Swap Thread: Nice Samples. Looking for a few cheapies..... http://www.basenotes.net/threads/407...n-Pure-Leather

Hey tough guy ,why you screaming so much with all those caps,not enough smelly finger action coming your way?
    On a serious note...what you said may make sense but the fact remains that the previously unsprayed tester was leaps and bounds stronger than any other AdP Oud I've worn either from a new bottle or tester. Thanks for the link all the same.Good to know.