Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Power Where You Need It

Default Re: Is Knize Ten still great?

With some friends, we're still trying to collect informations on how to recognize any kind of Knize Ten just prior to this latest reformulation and, so far, the only two relevant parameters we've collected are the paler color and batch code starting with CH22.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Dependent

Interesting. I just checked ebay and looked at a few photos of bottles listed for sale... What's puzzling is that a couple bottles that look like the darker color juice show batch CH22 on the bottom of the box... So unless the colors are off in the photos, maybe we need more than the first 4 characters of the batch code...? This could make getting the 'original' formula really difficult...
    Currently wearing: Amber Absolute by Tom Ford

My two 30ml bottles, bought in 2013 have batchnumbers starting with CH19 and CH21. Color is yellow, smells very good, juice is strong and lasts all day.
    My Top '11' :

- Dolce & Gabbana: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Paco Rabanne: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Azzaro: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Tom Ford: Ombré Leather
    - Guerlain: Héritage (vtg)
    - Davidoff: Leather Blend
    - YSL: Kouros (Fraîcheur)
    - Armani: Acqua di Gio Profumo
    - MPG: Santal Noble
    - Hermes: Terre d'Hermes
    - Amouage: Interlude

Quote Originally Posted by remik View Post
    Oh no... after nearly 100 years of selling (reasonably well, I can presume, if it stayed in retail that long!) they decide to mock with it?!?!?!?

R.I.P. K10
    It's very sad. But they probably didn't have a choice.
    More than likely, it's another consequence of the damn IFRA regulations!
    After all, they have to protect everyone from all the potential deaths from birch tar poisoning...
    "I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical...It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government." - Thomas Jefferson

Power Where You Need It

Quote Originally Posted by Slayerized View Post
    My two 30ml bottles, bought in 2013 have batchnumbers starting with CH19 and CH21. Color is yellow, smells very good, juice is strong and lasts all day.
    CH21 is still previous stuff. Reformulation happened starting from CH22.

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    I see! Thanks for this information
    My Top '11' :

- Dolce & Gabbana: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Paco Rabanne: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Azzaro: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Tom Ford: Ombré Leather
    - Guerlain: Héritage (vtg)
    - Davidoff: Leather Blend
    - YSL: Kouros (Fraîcheur)
    - Armani: Acqua di Gio Profumo
    - MPG: Santal Noble
    - Hermes: Terre d'Hermes
    - Amouage: Interlude

Tragic if this is the case. I have an older bottle that I bought at Parfumerie Jacqueline in San Francisco about 4 years ago--no telling how long he had had it. Batch code is D3439(?)S. Golden juice, nuclear strength. I really love this. I also bought a bottle of Golden Edition about that time from Luckyscent, batch code is CH15334. Lovely stuff but it is a bit more floral--truth be told, I prefer the original although it is splitting hairs. The 50ml bottle I have will last me a lifetime as it really is a one spray at a time scent. Even then, the opening can be so harsh (in a good way) that it takes some settling down. I once had it in my gym bag and had worked out with a friend, had a steam, showered and put one spray on. We went down to the bar for a drink and as we were sitting there, one bar stool apart, it was like there was a third person at the party--some freshly-barbered, boot-wearing Austrian Graf--and my friend never said anything but the look on his face--as if I had doused myself in petrol--said it all. Later, this is all about a little powder and smooth, smooth leather. I think that because of the steam, my core body temperature must have been too high..... At any rate, this is a real tragedy if it has been messed with.
    Currently wearing: Endymion by Penhaligon's

Was excited to try this years ago during my heavy sampling phase and come away really disappointed. Headache inducing. Too floral and the polished/floral/oily leather was not the rawhide type leather smell that I was looking for. JMO but one of the truly more overrated fragrances talked about. But I know I'm in a minority and many love it.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan
    Currently wearing: Vintage by John Varvatos

Knize Ten has been very recently reformulated. Even compared to the one that was available till a couple of years ago, the current stuff is pretty different. Harsher, thinner, lighter. Also, the current juice is a pale hay-like yellow whereas the juice from just a couple of years ago was definitely more ambery and darker.

Say bye bye to Knize Ten. BYE BYE!
    Well, I know how much Alfarom loved this perfume and if he says it's done....it's done. This is exactly what I was afraid of. In any event, I'm not sure how much I would wear this (the pre-reformulation), but it would have been nice to have it as a reference and to know this iconic fragrance. I will move on. Thanks to everyone for the responses.
    Currently wearing: Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

Just curious - are the bigger 225ml bottles in production anymore???
    Currently wearing: Macassar by Rochas

Has Forest been reformulated? I preferred it even to Ten.

Is there anything even left that is similar?

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by insomniac View Post
    Has Forest been reformulated?
    I bought a bottle of Knize Forest last summer. My first experience with it, so I have no reference as to what it may have been like years prior, but from what I can tell - it's good. I haven't had any complaints about it. It's sort of a polar opposite of K10 though. K10 is butch leather, Forest is a very green aromatic fougere.
    Currently wearing: Amber Absolute by Tom Ford

Basenotes Junkie

I have a 225ml splash bottle labelled "Toilet Water" , purchased in Dresden in 2011. Liquid is a rich amber colour.

Sublime stuff.

Not so, I'm afraid. My latest bottle is CH208, and is not the same as CH16. So the damage occurred before CH22. Does that mean that CH22 is even worse?

Power Where You Need It

Quote Originally Posted by David Ruskin View Post
    Not so, I'm afraid. My latest bottle is CH208, and is not the same as CH16. So the damage occurred before CH22. Does that mean that CH22 is even worse?
    I bought my latest bottle a couple of years ago and it's still pretty badass. I'm really not into batches and stuff but what I can say is that current stuff (as in the latest production) is not anymore the monster of yore it used to be. A friend of mine wears it all the time and I honestly struggle to recognize it.

It's ok but there are tons in it's genre that are significantly superior quality/composition wise.
    for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    It's ok but there are tons in it's genre that are significantly superior quality/composition wise.
    Such as? Not that I disagree with you, but I'm genuinely curious what you find to be better.

As for the reformulation, that is really sad news. I loved that opening blast of petrol. If that is toned down, then it almost makes the scent pointless in my opinion.

I don't know why they would have reformulated this. What are the restricted materials being used here? And as for cost-cutting measures, it really did have a "niche" market, and it's not like by toning down their scent they will have more "mainstream" appeal (people seeking mainstream appeal will certainly go elsewhere than to a watered down neutered knize 10). Rather, they will just lose their niche market--if it's as bad as Alfarom says (almost unrecognizable) I wouldn't be surprised if this just eventually gets dc'd.

Quote Originally Posted by gtsb View Post
    Such as? Not that I disagree with you, but I'm genuinely curious what you find to be better.

As for the reformulation, that is really sad news. I loved that opening blast of petrol. If that is toned down, then it almost makes the scent pointless in my opinion.

I don't know why they would have reformulated this. What are the restricted materials being used here? And as for cost-cutting measures, it really did have a "niche" market, and it's not like by toning down their scent they will have more "mainstream" appeal (people seeking mainstream appeal will certainly go elsewhere than to a watered down neutered knize 10). Rather, they will just lose their niche market--if it's as bad as Alfarom says (almost unrecognizable) I wouldn't be surprised if this just eventually gets dc'd.
    Cuir de Russe
    Cuir Cannage
    Cuir d'Ange
    Peau d'Espagne
    Bandit

To name a few.
    for swap/sale:

Etro's Gomma is a good alternative once the initial rubber note fades.

Quote Originally Posted by remik View Post
    I love K10, it's grrrrrreat! I have to say I did not care for the K10 Golden Edition though, too flowery/powdery. Stick with K10 if you like the genre.
    I feel the opposite and prefer the golden edition to the regular edition.

In reference to the OP's question, I believe the Oak Moss has been replaced with Tree Moss but I can't tell much difference.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    Cuir de Russe
    Cuir Cannage
    Cuir d'Ange
    Peau d'Espagne
    Bandit

To name a few.
    Thanks! The only one I haven't tried is Cuir d'Ange. I need to get a sample of that one.

Quote Originally Posted by David Ruskin View Post
    My 125ml bottle with the toilet water on it is CH.19141

It's a

I had asked this before - can anyone advise? Are the 225ml bottles still in production? Thanks!!!

Interesting. My batch is CH200*** Very potent and complex.
    Currently wearing: Lyric Man by Amouage

Power Where You Need It

Quote Originally Posted by badarun View Post
    I had asked this before - can anyone advise? Are the 225ml bottles still in production? Thanks!!!
    I've no idea but at The Different Scent in Berlin they still have the 1lt bottle

I've no idea but at The Different Scent in Berlin they still have the 1lt bottle
    Thanks Alfa - got my answer today directly from Knize - they still do have the 225ml bottles "in" production!

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Nope. Would never buy it for my collection but not averse to trying or wearing it.
    Never?! But hednic why not!

Wearing this today... Bought late last year. Batch ch 22xxxx. Still great. imo. My nose is not that sophisticated,but K10 is still majestic, challenging, elegantly different.

Love it🙌

I need your help. Please have a look at my today's thread concerning the Knize golden edition.

I have a little decanted sample of it, and just by looking at it's color, I can tell it's probably the reformulated brighter/yellow version. Still, I find it pretty strong, with great sillage. I think I can imagine the beast the vintage would be.