Code of Conduct
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Is Knize Ten still great?

Knize 10 is rocking.
    John aka Easykiller
    Currently wearing: Dunhill for Men by Dunhill

I have tried both the original and the Golden Edition, and for me I prefer the Gold Edition it is certainly smoother to my nose. It is the version I will purchase when I can score a deal....

Only tried the newer one, and it reminded me of hairspray, didn't like it.

Well, I did have the current formulation (batch code started with CH22...). It was nice. Not my most favorite fragrance, but... anyway, I sold it off because my purchase price was a good bit lower than current eBay selling rates, so I figured why not make back my money plus a little extra after the nasty fees.

I kept reading up about the earlier formulations being better, and the "eau de cologne" being the absolute best. Providence came around. Seller popped up with some vintage examples. And I managed to get one:

I didn't bother to ask the batch code, as the label is pretty clear on it being vintage. But... I also was remiss in doing my homework. I've certainly seen so much praise for the vintage stuff, but how robust is it against the elements of time? If well cared for, should it still smell great? My hope is that the high quality of the ingredients would help assure that. Certainly, it won't be exactly as it was... but even if it's gotten only slight fading of the top notes, I'd be happy... as long as it still trounces the current stuff!

The seller informed me that his grandparents had an importing store in Mexico from 1930 to 1985, and after they closed it they'd build up a huge warehouse with perfumes. They continued to sell off inventory via local channels, until about 7 years ago when the grandson took over and started retailing through eBay. This particular Knize Ten is probably from the 1950's! The warehouse is in an underground basement that remains cool all year round, similar to a wine cellar, so perfumes remain very well preserved.

I've heard of fragrances from the 40's and 50's surviving many decades with barely any notes degradation, if stored in a cool dark and low humidity environment. The question becomes... if this stuff really is in great shape, will it continue to remain so after the seal is broken? Or will it start to break down being kept at room temperature? It may be time to invest in that perfume closet...

I'll come back with impressions after it arrives and I've had a chance to explore it. Perhaps it will be as good as the legend goes (fingers crossed!).
    Last edited by cytherian; 19th June 2015 at 08:52 PM.

There's not much you can do about aging... Even in the best storage conditions.

There's definitely Knize Ten DNA in this. The start is amazing, despite being a bit light and soft. I attribute the murmur replacing the growl due to the degrading effects of age. Despite Knize Ten being a powerhouse with excellent longevity, it's not powerful enough to last for more than a few decades intact. The rubber seal on this one degraded, partially liquified, then slipped inside the bottle, resting inside a nook in the bottle neck.

Liquid had spilled due to the lack of a sufficient seal and tightening of the cap. I applied some, given the circumstances, and after a couple of hours I could barely smell it. The "mojo" is gone.

Well it was sold as having the seal intact, not deformed and slipped inside the bottle. I sent it back for a refund.

The verdict? Knize Ten's best days are truly gone. I don't think you can recapture the original aroma in a vintage bottle. It's just too late for that.
    Last edited by cytherian; 24th June 2015 at 02:24 AM.

i have never smell Knize Ten, but anybody here knows if it is real similar to Oscar de la Renta Pour Lui or is completely different smell?

Quite different, rather not much similarity betn Oscar & Knize...
    Currently wearing: Joint by Roccobarocco

Knize Ten is just ok, nothing outrageous from my point of view.
    And even if almost everybody says they can smell leather, my nose refuses to detect it.....

In the past year or so, I've come to like leather more and more. Lucky me! Now I'm ready for K10 after having first sampled it around 5 years ago. But I am loathe to buy new, for obvious reasons. If anyone here might be willing to sell/swap 5mL of something even a little vintage, I'd be grateful! Please PM, OK? Thanks, Tim

Pollux

IMHO, it is cuir blended to the style of the 1930's - 1940's. I have several of them and I can hardly find many differences, they all have this acrid base note analogous to gas morphing into floral and leather mid and base notes. You will realize that femenine cuirs lack the initial "gas" notes in favor of floral notes, thus making it quite masculine for today's usages. Think of Chanel's Cuir de Rusie, Lanvin's Scandal and Yardley's Bond Street.

OK, it is great for it diverts from present day styles. And even though I like these, they do feel date - I like wearing them for originality's sake, to say the truth. Is like playing wearing vintage clothing (perfect choice when wearing a 1940's style cut grey tweed suit and vest and a heavy velour coat, a 1940's style Hamilton wristwatch and a Sulka silk tie, a fedora and brogues; If riding a a vintage car like a 1941 Graham Hollywood Supercharged, the better). Too vintage.

I rather stick to modern renditions of the same concept: Dior Homme tries to, the best of them being the Parfum.

...Knize Ten should be in any man's collection...!

Good to see I hadn't lost my mind about my beloved Knize Ten having been reformulated. I was in denial about the fact for nearly a year but it's true. And the dreaded batch code is spot on. Heartbreaking. It is still good, maybe even still great, but it just isn't as rich.
    Last edited by Zizanioides; 24th October 2015 at 03:05 AM.

So did anyone here pick up that barely used 50ml bottle of Knize Ten with a batch code starting as CH20? Supposedly that's before the dreaded reform. I bid on this, but unfortunately not enough... I wasn't going to end up paying the same amount as a 125ml bottle of Knize Golden Edition.

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    I've no idea but at The Different Scent in Berlin they still have the 1lt bottle
    Funny, I was there in June 2013 with my girlfriend when visiting the city for 5 days and held that specific 1 liter bottle in my hands for a close look at it and can also recall the owner of the shop was a very nice guy explaining me a lot and letting me sniff everything I wanted.

On Topic: Just bought a 125ml back up with CH21 and having the dark yellow juice!
    My Top '11' :

- Dolce & Gabbana: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Paco Rabanne: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Azzaro: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Tom Ford: Ombré Leather
    - Guerlain: Héritage (vtg)
    - Davidoff: Leather Blend
    - YSL: Kouros (Fraîcheur)
    - Armani: Acqua di Gio Profumo
    - MPG: Santal Noble
    - Hermes: Terre d'Hermes
    - Amouage: Interlude

still a staple in my wardrobe..imo, still great!
    spray and pray...

Quote Originally Posted by Francolino View Post
    Your 4000th post deserves a nice Sote Knize Ten wearing
    My Top '11' :

Quote Originally Posted by Slayerized View Post
    On Topic: Just bought a 125ml back up with CH21 and having the dark yellow juice!
    Very nice score -- that's probably one of the better batches to choose from; freshest from the last preferred formulation. Local pickup?

Quote Originally Posted by cytherian View Post
    Very nice score -- that's probably one of the better batches to choose from; freshest from the last preferred formulation. Local pickup?
    Thanks Cytherian!
    Yes, it is an (almost) unused bottle of someone who did not like it after all.
    Got it for half price it sells for normally here (spray 125ml/€99)
    My Top '11' :

Over the years I have found Knize Ten to be compelling and mesmerising but the oily leather always put me off. I've on many occasions worn my sample wanting to buy it but could not get past the oily garage mechanic vibe. I'm always hoping that one day it will just click and I will be ready for a bottle.
    "There's No School Like The Old School."

My Top Five

1. Aurum d Angkhor By Sultan Pasha
    2. Fougere Noire By Sultan Pasha
    3. L' Heure d' Or By Sultan Pasha
    4. Encens Chypre By Sultan Pasha
    5. Equilibre By Sultan Pasha

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    Over the years I have found Knize Ten to be compelling and mesmerising but the oily leather always put me off. I've on many occasions worn my sample wanting to buy it but could not get past the oily garage mechanic vibe. I'm always hoping that one day it will just click and I will be ready for a bottle.
    Jack have you tried Knize Golden Edition? I find it smoother... less of that oily mechanic vibe. Quite nicely done, in fact I prefer it over the latest formulation of Knize Ten.

I have not but will have to check it out. Its one of those ones that have gotten past my radar.
    "There's No School Like The Old School."

My Top Five

1. Aurum d Angkhor By Sultan Pasha
    2. Fougere Noire By Sultan Pasha
    3. L' Heure d' Or By Sultan Pasha
    4. Encens Chypre By Sultan Pasha
    5. Equilibre By Sultan Pasha

That is what turned me off as well years ago when my nose was not matured at all yet (fragrance wise).
    Nowadays (imo) this mechanic smell is only for 20-30 mins before the heavenly drydown kicks in and the mechanic vibe is almost completely gone; at least to my nose and what is left is the very masculine flowery leather smell.
    I also wonder if oily leather is similar to a fragrance being considered as ''wet'' (as the opposite of ''dry'') as I find Knize Ten a very dry fragrance, especially in the later drydown.
    Knize Gold is not to get here unfortunately otherwise I would already have bought it blind!
    My Top '11' :

Quote Originally Posted by Francolino View Post
    Your 4000th post deserves a nice Sote Knize Ten wearing
    Currently wearing: Joint by Roccobarocco

I have not but will have to check it out. Its one of those ones that have gotten past my radar.
    It's a bit polarizing... some feel it "bastardizes" original Knize Ten, while some welcome it with relief as rolling off the unwanted qualities of Knize Ten. Frankly, if I could get CH21 or earlier batches without spending an unreasonable sum, I would. But it's tough to come by. I have a rather older sample of Knize Ten (dates somewhere to the 1970's) where some of the notes have rolled off and longevity is too brief, but there's a "heart" to it that I find present in Knize Golden. I owned the latest Knize Ten (CH22) and tried to warm up to it... yet something was unbalanced about it. When I read up on all the reformulation disappointment, then it became clear.

Here two pics of my K10 collection and on the second a separate one of my newest addition: A 125ml spray CH21 batch!
    All are CH21 or lower: 2x 30ml splash/spray (it has a screw off cap), 1x 50ml spray and 1x 125ml spray.

My Top '11' :

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

This is one fragrance that I have to get hold of....I tried and fell in love with it.
    a bottle a day keeps the doc away

Perfume Reviews
    Sale Thread
    Swap Thread
    Wanted Thread

Here two pics of my K10 collection and on the second a separate one of my newest addition: A 125ml spray CH21 batch!
    All are CH21 or lower: 2x 30ml splash/spray (it has a screw off cap), 1x 50ml spray and 1x 125ml spray.

Gorgeous Slayerized!
    I think you've got enough for yourself.....your kids......and perhaps your grand-kids!
    Alan.

This is one I definitely want to look in to again - I tried it ages ago and dismissed it as too strong and not for me. Now that I like a wider variety of scents, I think I may just like it!
    Currently wearing: Eucris by Geo F Trumper

Quote Originally Posted by AlanG View Post
    Gorgeous Slayerized!
    I think you've got enough for yourself.....your kids......and perhaps your grand-kids!
    Alan.
    Thanks!!
    Simple maths Alan...........
    I use of this stuff about 15ml a year (probably only more coming years!) and I have 215ml left which will take me a good 14 years to finish it.
    That was the reason I bought the vintage back up!

..............Regarding my stash of Kouros on the other hand..................
    Last edited by Slayerized; 22nd December 2015 at 07:54 PM.
    My Top '11' :

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

Excellent!
    a bottle a day keeps the doc away

Perfume Reviews
    Sale Thread
    Swap Thread
    Wanted Thread