Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Is Knize Ten still great?

I've long thought about buying this blind, but have yet to take the plunge. Has anybody that's familiar with this classic purchased it recently? Has it been reformulated to death, or is it still one of the definitive leather fragrances? Have I lost my chance? Inquiring minds need to know! TIA.
    Currently wearing: Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

Default Re: Is Knize Ten still great?

I had a large decant a few years ago (the "Toilet Water" one, I think) but there was something about it that was irritating, at least for the first couple hours, then I was able to acquire some very old EdC and I like that a lot better (haven't tried anything more recent).

I have not tried the vintage, so I cannot compare. but the current is gorgeous, butch leather and flowers, still kicking a**. It now comes also comes in a golden edition, which is a touch smoother. So I think it's definitely worthy.

Somebody who has a bottle of vintage said that vintage is actually more floral.

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    I have not tried the vintage, so I cannot compare. but the current is gorgeous, butch leather and flowers, still kicking a**. It now comes also comes in a golden edition, which is a touch smoother. So I think it's definitely worthy.

Somebody who has a bottle of vintage said that vintage is actually more floral.

cacio
    Well by "floral" I could understand if what was meant was more "powdery" relative to the harsh notes, but it may be that the person has a different formulation than mine. I have little knowledge of the history of the various formulations for this one, other than the couple I sampled.

repose

It's still great, absolutely. I'd try to sample first though. It has a real petrol-leather-floral smell, and it's a bit hard to articulate. Do try!

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Tried it a while back. Need to try this again.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Bigsly:

I don't remember him elaborating, but powdery (ie iris) is definitely a possiblity. In any case, I doubt this was ever intended to be a Chanel Cuir de Russie.

How is your vintage Knize Ten?

cacio

My understanding from a few aficionados of this one, it has gone through a recent reformulation, and in their eyes, not for the better.

It is still worth it to try and see if it meets your approval.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Tried it a while back. Need to try this again.
    Hold it - you mean to tell me you don't own a bottle of this?

To answer the OP's question, it is worth finding even a current bottle because it doesn't matter what the old formulation may or may not smell like if the current one is to your liking, and to me it is one of the best leather fragrances out there and one of the best masculines of all time. If you like Cuir Mauresque or Cuir Ottoman, then it's safe to say that you will like Knize Ten.

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    Bigsly:

I don't remember him elaborating, but powdery (ie iris) is definitely a possiblity. In any case, I doubt this was ever intended to be a Chanel Cuir de Russie.

How is your vintage Knize Ten?

cacio
    It's considerably softer, there's some birch tar but it's not too harsh, yet it's also powdery, spicy, and a touch ambery. I haven't worn it in a while, and it's possible the top notes may have weakened, of course. I think of it as being a very well balanced, "old" style leather. The "petrol" type stuff in the beginning is very mild in this one.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by HORNS View Post
    Hold it - you mean to tell me you don't own a bottle of this?
    Nope. Would never buy it for my collection but not averse to trying or wearing it.
    Last edited by hednic; 9th February 2015 at 02:27 AM.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Dependent

Bought a FB of Knize Ten about 6 months ago, so I presume its of the latest formulation. Definitely a good one.. petrol.. floral and well-worn leather jacket. That pretty much sums it up.

The floral character reminds me a lot of Ciel Man, if that's a useful reference point, although there's not Jasmine listed in Knize Ten. It does get a bit powdery in the heart, but not overbearing at all. It has a very nice evolution opening to the end.

Personally, I prefer Dior's Cuir Cannage by a hair, but the Knize is what? Like 1/3 of the price? And it's seemingly the predecessor to both Dior's Cuir Cannage as well as Hermessence's Cuir d'Ange, and you have to give it some kind of style points for being first.

If you have none of the others above, Knize Ten is hard to make a strong argument against.

I'm really not a leather guy (not into lace either heyo!), so I like Chanel's Cuir de Russe and dislike Dior's Cannage. I think I lean more into the powder than the smoke, and Knize is really very butch, almost piercing with a sort of petrol like accord... so when I wore my decant for the first time I assumed I wouldn't like it and I've got to say it really is GOOD, like I was impressed. It's a no holds barred sht kicking scent, no doubt about it, and it dries down really nicely. Now as for blind buying, again as always, just go get yourself 5-10ml and start there. It's worth overpaying for a decant instead of wasting a whole bottle.
    Tom Ford Splits:Noir de Noir, Neroli Portofino, Lavender Palm, Plum Japonais, Champacca Absolute, Tobacco Vanille ONE LEFT: Italian Cypress, Patchouli Absolu, Amber Absolute, Tuscan Leather, Oud Wood

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Quote Originally Posted by PalmBeach View Post
    My understanding from a few aficionados of this one, it has gone through a recent reformulation, and in their eyes, not for the better.

It is still worth it to try and see if it meets your approval.
    Do you know how recent the reformulation was? I have Knize 10 from 2010/11 and it is wonderful. I wonder when the "latest" reformulation took place (and how bad it is)...
    Last edited by gtsb; 9th February 2015 at 02:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gtsb View Post
    Do you know how recent the reformulation was? I have Knize 10 from 2010/11 and it is wonderful. I wonder when the "latest" reformulation took place (and how bad it is)...
    My understanding it started with batch codes CH2xxxx. What the differences are, I cannot say, as I have not compared to the bottle I got in 2010.

Dependent

K10 is one of the pillars of great perfumery. Like a few other classics the beauty of it comes about 30 min after spraying it on. It needs to settle.
    Take a bouquet of fresh brilliant flowers, wrap an old leather jacket around it, dip in gasoline and set it on fire. There you have it. Brilliant. I already regret selling my bottle. One spray is ALL you need. It just gets better with time after application. 8 hours later, still amazing. I need another bottle.
    OFF SITE SALES, DECANTS ---Dior,Chanel MFK, MOLECULE 01* VINTAGE ANTAEUS*
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=499

Dependent

I love K10, it's grrrrrreat! I have to say I did not care for the K10 Golden Edition though, too flowery/powdery. Stick with K10 if you like the genre.
    Currently wearing: Amber Absolute by Tom Ford

I have a current version and really love it.

To know sort of what it smells like - I'd say its closest relatives are Cuir Cannage by Dior and Cuir Mauresque by Serge Lutens, if you've smelled either of those. Grab a sample if you can.

Quote Originally Posted by PalmBeach View Post
    My understanding it started with batch codes CH2xxxx. What the differences are, I cannot say, as I have not compared to the bottle I got in 2010.
    Thanks for the information PB! I think I have enough to last me two lifetimes (a bigger and a smaller bottle), but still, interesting to know.

It's a love or hate fragrance for sure. Those who hate it will do so with a passion. Those who love it feel bad for those that don't... When I first tried it, as a blind buy, I was repulsed. After some time as I tried more and more different things I began to appreciate K10. Then I began to really like it. Now it is in my top 10 and will always have a bottle. I purchased mine from luckyscent about a year ago and it's amazing. Also try its flankers, knize sec, knize two, knize golden edition and knize forest.

In my opinion, yes. It remained both noticeably strong, but also smooth, nuanced and pleasantly complex. In my opinion, a still quite elaborate yet also reasonably well-crafted, balanced male leather-floral-chypre blend.
    Currently wearing: Citrus & Wood by Yardley

I bought a bottle of Knize Ten in July 2014 and it has a batch code of CH22******, so the recent reformulation was before then. It is relatively lighter and thinner than previous versions, with less of a a petrol note. It is tamer and less "butch" than before. Still good, but it has lost some of its essential character.

My old, just finished bottle had a batch code CH16; its replacement has code CH2. The later is not as good I'm afraid. It is softer, less Mossy, not as strong or long lasting. The outer packaging is cheaper too. Something of a disappointment, I'm afraid.

Got two 30ml of the spray/splash bottles bought in 2012 and both smell gorgeous and the same as a 50ml spray I had two years prior.
    Strong floral leather that lasts all day!
    My Top '11' :

- Dolce & Gabbana: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Paco Rabanne: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Azzaro: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Tom Ford: Ombré Leather
    - Guerlain: Héritage (vtg)
    - Davidoff: Leather Blend
    - YSL: Kouros (Fraîcheur)
    - Armani: Acqua di Gio Profumo
    - MPG: Santal Noble
    - Hermes: Terre d'Hermes
    - Amouage: Interlude

I will let you know this week. I have ordered o bottle of Knize 10 Golden Edition blind.

Power Where You Need It

Knize Ten has been very recently reformulated. Even compared to the one that was available till a couple of years ago, the current stuff is pretty different. Harsher, thinner, lighter. Also, the current juice is a pale hay-like yellow whereas the juice from just a couple of years ago was definitely more ambery and darker.

Say bye bye to Knize Ten. BYE BYE!

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Dependent

Oh no... after nearly 100 years of selling (reasonably well, I can presume, if it stayed in retail that long!) they decide to mock with it?!?!?!?

R.I.P. K10

Dependent

Alfarom.... in your experience, what would be the best substitute for the original, vintage K10...? I'm sort of leaning towards Xerjoff Homme, which is at a much higher price point. Any other suggestions?

Power Where You Need It

Yep! They f***ing had to mess up with this gem. I've no idea on the reasons why but myself and a bunch other aficionados are 100% sure that the latest K10 has been re-worked and definitely not for the better.

This is a picture of the current stuff (bought in December 2014). Pale color, batch code CH22#####

Power Where You Need It

This is a bottle from just a couple of years ago. Very different color and, sadly, very different fragrance too.