Code of Conduct

Default Instead of shampoo?

I'm curious what natural products I can use instead of shampoo, I've been having a little trouble with dry hair and bought all sorts of shampoos claiming to moisturize, but I recently figured that the ingrediences in my "moisturizing" and "repairing" shampoo that I usually use probably was the cause of my dry hair, I've heard baking soda and olive oil, but I am curious if there is a company out there who sells natural shampoo world wide,

I've been thinking about terressentials.com but I'm not sure if they ship worldwide or how good they are

Default Re: Instead of shampoo?

Aveda is probably the largest company using natural and organic ingredients. Expensivish, but worth exploring if that's what you're looking for. Another one would be Aesop from Australia.

In any case, rather than with the shampoo, I would deal with that using a conditioner or even better a leave-in oil. Here in the US there has been an explosion of hair oils of all different sorts. Several brands. I use Moroccan oil (whish is primarily argan oil), and more recently bumble and bumble.

cacio

Go to any Indian grocery store in your town and get coconut oil. Apply a lot to your hair/scalp.
    Leave overnight.

Wash thoroughly next day. Repeat as often as you can. 5 days a week would not be considered abnormal.
    for swap/sale:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Oc8EZcvGG8

I quit using shampoo recently as well. My beard hair especially gets dry and feels almost like straw after a shampooing, like the follicles are blown out or something. The coconut oil suggestion is great. My beard has never been softer and silky and split ends have just about disappeared after I began using it as a leave in beard oil.

Another good natural hair care tip is an apple cider vinegar rinse. You dilute the vinegar with water. If you're interested you can find lots of good recipes online.
    It is true that fish stink. It is also true that the river is
    beautiful. But the river would be beautiful despite the fish. What
    is noxious remains so.

That is not to say that sh*t is not useful when buried in the wheat
    field. Bread made from the field tastes sweet, wine from the arbor
    sweetest. All things serve a purpose, but that is no reason to
    glorify what is abominable. A man must still watch where he walks
    and keep his sandals clean.
    c.21 of the Egyptian Book of the Dead, Trans: Normandi Ellis

A few questions about your routine:

What shampoo and conditioner are you currently using?
    How often are you shampooing and conditioning your hair?
    Where do you live (climate)?
    What type of hair do you have (fine , med, thick)?

Shampoo, though some are marketed as moisturizing, are meant for cleansing the hair. Conditioner for conditioning. I wouldn't be as concerned with a moisturizing shampoo but more concerned with a good conditioner. I would also be aware that putting home remedy oils and even some over the counter oils can be difficult to remove from some hair textures without the use of a clarifying shampoo. I just had a client the other day that put coconut oil in her hair and couldn't get it out with her shampoo at home. If you respond to the questions I asked I may be able to recommend something that will work for you.

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    Aveda is probably the largest company using natural and organic ingredients. Expensivish, but worth exploring if that's what you're looking for. Another one would be Aesop from Australia.

In any case, rather than with the shampoo, I would deal with that using a conditioner or even better a leave-in oil. Here in the US there has been an explosion of hair oils of all different sorts. Several brands. I use Moroccan oil (whish is primarily argan oil), and more recently bumble and bumble.

cacio
    Scusi, but Aveda is full of silicones and whatever neither the environment nor a healthy scalp/hair needs. They are just fake-organic.

Aubrey Organics are much cheaper and far better!

Or, Zinalu, do some research on „no poo”, means no shampoo. You will have to test it all yourself and find a method that's working for you. Some are very happy with rhassoul, others with baking soda or chestnuts. There are forums just for hair treatment. An entire universe. Like basenotes.
    liaison carbone
    RAW MATERIALS FOR PERFUMERY

Aveda has been owned by Estee Lauder for a long time now, they totally wrecked the brand. Products I used and love long gone.

Have your tried the reverse washing?

Now I use WEN but there are other brands some more natural than others. You actually wash you hair with conditioner, no foaming at all. Wet your hair and apply depending on the length about three times the amount you would normally use. Then rinse until your hair squeaks then repeat.
    DONNA

The "No-Poo" advice is spot on. Really, you can just use conditioner most of the time, if you want, you don't have to wash your hair every time you get it wet, only when it needs it. If you avoid silicones, you can probably just use conditioner instead of shampoo all the time. Also, if your SCALP remains oily even after you stop messing with it, but hair is dry, you can coat your wet hair with conditioner, wash your scalp with a gentle shampoo, then when you rinse the hair will be protected by the conditioner.

Curl Junkie is an amazing line, that is what I use for conditioner, but I use the Deva Care Low Poo for shampoo, it's not even close to natural, is cheaper but is closer to what my hair needs. I actually detangle my hair with the Low Poo, rinse and leave in conditioner. Ditching the sulfates did enough for my hair to make a huge change - my hair is coarse and dry by its nature, but as soon as I had a whole "crop" of hair that had been treated gently, it's not dry at all, and much less tangly. I hate the Deva conditioners but that Low Poo has been a holy grail product for me for years now.

Graphite is SPOT ON. Just research and try things.

If you're looking for natural products, Indian stores are the best place for it, Take Amla, Reetha and Shikakai in equal amounts and grind them after removing seeds. Grind them into powder and Mix this powder with water and make a thin paste. Apply this paste into your hair and It will work better than any shampoo you've ever used. It is really good for your hair. You can find some more simple recipes including these three ingredients if you google. Hopefully it will help your hair.

Basenotes Plus

If you've had your hair permed or straightened, be very careful with the baking soda "no-poo" method. I lost two perms before realizing what was happening. The alkalinity of the baking soda works just like the perm solution, although not as strong. But over time it will break the bonds in your hair which will revert to its natural texture.

There's a lot that can cause dry hair, if you don't know the cause shampoo alternatives probably won't help a lot, moisturizing shampoos should either pull or lock moisture into the hair so if not either not good shampoo or not the right type for your hair or scalp condition for example if your hair is dry you should use moisturizing shampoo only if you have coarse hair. Also your level of hydration matters, and hormonal imbalances can effect natural oil production which a doctor can discover. You want to find a shampoo to balance your hair, one that will close the cuticle and make it feel smooth, if your cuticle is open and the folicle is swollen your formula is too alkaline, you can test ph with litmus paper or trial and error.

I think instead of shampoo you can use natural products such as royal jelly. You can directly apply it to scalp or can take it as an supplement. It contains vitamins, amino acids, protein, minerals, enzymes and fatty acids that can be used in various ways. Royal jelly can be used as shampoo as well as a good conditioner. For more information you can visit comvita.com/key-ingredients/royal-jelly/1200142 online.

I don't know where you're located but webshops such as Vitacost and iHerb carry a variety of natural brands with some great products at good prices, they also ship worldwide at reasonable cost.

I also have dry hair that is also dyed and long, to the middle of my back and I use a Bumble & Bumble Creme de Coco shampoo which is great and not stripping for the hair at all, helps moisturize and detangle, it's not sulfate free but it's silicone free and rich in natural oils and other natural ingredients.

Allthough my hair is straight, I find products advertised for curly hair are much more moisturizing and usually rich in natural oils so you might consider that. I find SheaMoisture brand especially good, especially their masks.
    I also like EO products, Acure organics and Bee Mine range...

All in all, for very dry hair, it's not just the shampoo switching, it's the whole regimen...Use a leave in conditioner, masks and oils such as coconut, argan or jojoba and you should notice improvement in a few months.
    Mi sagli smo glave, u strahu da biće još gore...i biće, jer sagli smo glave...a ljubav živi...
    Currently wearing: Beyond Love by By Kilian

Quote Originally Posted by CindyLibby View Post
    I think instead of shampoo you can use natural products such as royal jelly. You can directly apply it to scalp or can take it as an supplement. It contains vitamins, amino acids, protein, minerals, enzymes and fatty acids that can be used in various ways. Royal jelly can be used as shampoo as well as a good conditioner. For more information you can visit comvita.com/key-ingredients/royal-jelly/1200142 online.
    That's a good point, diet plays a large role in the balance of hormonale, there's a lot if chemicals that will throw it off. Most of the advice I've read will help to rehydrate the hair externally but it's a temporary solution that only addresses symptom, I prefer to address the root (cheeky pun intended) it'll save you a lot on product and increase overall restoration, if the dryness is due to damage from chemical service there's really not much that can be done to repair the keratin but let it grow out and look to use gentler process in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by NoNose View Post
    That's a good point, diet plays a large role in the balance of hormonale, there's a lot if chemicals that will throw it off. Most of the advice I've read will help to rehydrate the hair externally but it's a temporary solution that only addresses symptom, I prefer to address the root (cheeky pun intended) it'll save you a lot on product and increase overall restoration, if the dryness is due to damage from chemical service there's really not much that can be done to repair the keratin but let it grow out and look to use gentler process in the future.
    That's a nice advice, do as this poster suggests. Though hormons are affected not only by diet and lifestyle, but genetics as well. The no-poo method despite the good intensions to get rid of chemicals it may harm your hair badly. Ironically, you should switch to restoring shampoos and serums to fix the damage. I would recommend checking this article about improving your daily hair routine. But it would be better if your as your doctor or cosmetologist first.