Code of Conduct

Default Tobacco Oud or Oud Wood

Good day Oud heads, I was planning on hitting the big city this weekend in hopes of purchasing Tobacco Oud. To me this is a fantastic fragrance with too many undeserved negative reviews. I personally think it's the most complex fragrance in a pretty linear PB lineup. My problem here is I wore Oud Wood yesterday and again, found myself impressed enough to create a dilemma between the 2. The Oud Wood was a sample from the grey bottle and I get excellent performance from both fragrances going over 10 hrs with 6 sprays! Thoughts, opinions and criticism welcomed!

Default Re: Tobacco Oud or Oud Wood

Both are good but it comes down to how much you like Oud. If you like the note then I would go for Oud wood, now Tobacco Oud should really be re-named Tobacco Whisky. I get very little oud within the fragrance, maybe a little at the start and then it's gone. But the wonderful thing about this scent is the whisky note, it really goes well with the tobacco.
    "There's No School Like The Old School."

Both are nice, I find myself wearing Tom Ford Oud Wood more often. I like the scent and others seem to like it on me as well. I always seem to receive compliments with Oud Wood. 6 sprays, I wouldn't be surprised if others noticed the scent as well.
    MadHat Scents

Brineapple (Pineapple, Guava, Ylang Ylang, Marine Notes, Green Tea, Cade, Guaiacwood, Cedar Wood, Ozone) / Fur - (Vintage Musks, Woods, Leather) / Onsen Wood (Hinoki/Hiba/Cedar/Yuzu) / Vert Moss (Oakmoss Absolute, Cologne, Vetiver, Incense, Cedar) / L.O.M. Leather Oud Musk (Leather, Oud, Musk, Beeswax, Tobacco, Strawberry, Incense & Amber)

Reside in McLean, Va. Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Of the two, the latter.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

I own both, but i happen to prefer tobacco oud more.
    Current Top 10:
    Creed Green Irish Tweed
    Tom Ford Tobacco Oud
    Creed Royal Oud
    Armani Prive Myrrhe Imperiale
    Amouage Jubilation XXV
    Tom Ford Tuscan Leather
    Tom Ford Amber Absolute
    MDCI Invasion Barbare
    Amouage Interlude Man
    Tom Ford Plum Japonais

I love the whiskey note that accompanies the tobacco along with the incense a few hours after application.

For those of you that own both Ouds, which do you reach for more often?

Tobacco Oud as Oud wood might be a bit sweet to some.
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

I found Oud Wood to be a simple fragrance, compared to a refined older brother in Tobacco Oud. I see no reason to own both, so I understand your dilemma. There are much nicer Tobacco based fragrances out there than Tobacco Oud, so I also don't see a reason to own Tobacco Oud. Check out some Amouage fragrances if you're into the Tobacco/Incense notes, they're the best I've come across.
    Favorite Fragrances:
    Fetish by: Roja Dove
    Amber Aoud by: Roja Dove
    Amber Aoud Absolue Precieux by: Roja Dove
    Vetiver Extrait by: Roja Dove
    "Creation E" Enigma by: Roja Dove
    Windsor by: Creed
    Spice and Wood by: Creed
    Pure White Cologne by: Creed
    Jardin d'Amalfi by: Creed
    M by: Puredistance
    17/17 Homme by: Xerjoff
    Tribute and Homage Attars by: Amouage

Both are good. You seem to like Tobacco oud more, so go for it. I must also say that while I like oud wood, I think there are better western reconstructions around (like by kilian pure oud).

cacio

Tobacco Oud is one of my favourite TF fragrances. I prefer the tobacco note in it to Tobacco Vanille. It's one of my favourite Tobacco fragrances. I didn't like Oud Wood. The oud in TF is not particularly great imo. Tobacco Oud has the great tobacco note going for it whereas Oud Wood fails on the oud front and woods too. There are plenty of better oud perfumes out there.
    Prices Rreduced!UK Only:UK Only:Roja/Creed/ASAQ/Cartier/Agar Aura/Ensar Oud

My UK Swapsies!

Current favourites:
    Frederic Malle The Night
    Roja Dove Semi Bespoke 14
    Roja Dove Roja (Haute Luxe)
    Kilian Eternal Oud
    Chanel Cuir de Russie Parfum
    Roja Dove Great Britain
    Nabeel Spirit of Dubai Baz

Own both, cooler weather loves Tobacco Oud more. Hotter weather, I've used Oud Wood.
    Hi, I'm William | My Swap Thread | My Sales Thread

My preference is for Oud Wood.
    "...her fragrance all in my keeping; softly she comes in the night." Lyrics, Gordon Lightfoot, "Softly."

Freed from BN Institution

I prefer Oud Wood over Tobacco Oud any day.

I have decants of Tobacco Oud and Plum Japonais and recently both have something in their make up that seems overwhelmingly grating and harsh to me. I started out really liking them both but now they seem to have gone the way of Tobacco Vanille and Tuscan Leather (which I can't stand) for me. There is just something about the overall aesthetic of the house that I'm not digging and it may be the simple fact that most of them are turned up to 10, when I would probably be happier with a 7. Come to think of it, I may just need to spray further away from my nose. Maybe the problem is me (except with Tuscan Leather-that's just bad).

For those that suggest I seek elsewhere for tobacco or oud fragrances is there something that you could recommend?

Reside in McLean, Va. Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by Peckerhead View Post
    For those that suggest I seek elsewhere for tobacco or oud fragrances is there something that you could recommend?
    If you want to continue on your odyssey of exploring, I'd suggest Franck Boclet Tobacco and Franck Boclet Oud. Samples can be gotten at First in Fragrance.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by Peckerhead View Post
    Amouage Journey Man or Creed Tabarome Millesime for Tobacco.
    Favorite Fragrances:
    Fetish by: Roja Dove
    Amber Aoud by: Roja Dove
    Amber Aoud Absolue Precieux by: Roja Dove
    Vetiver Extrait by: Roja Dove
    "Creation E" Enigma by: Roja Dove
    Windsor by: Creed
    Spice and Wood by: Creed
    Pure White Cologne by: Creed
    Jardin d'Amalfi by: Creed
    M by: Puredistance
    17/17 Homme by: Xerjoff
    Tribute and Homage Attars by: Amouage

I own Oud Wood, but seldom reach for it, Tobacco Oud I've been sampling a lot lately, its definitely a richer more satisfying scent in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    I prefer Oud Wood over Tobacco Oud any day.
    ditto

I have come to realize that I love and need both. Tobacco Oud is dark rich mysterious and complex while Oud Wood is sexy sultry. I'm sure there are better offerings but for now I love these both and will get one now and one later before I look into other offerings. It's the nature of this hobby, right guys? I mean, as soon as I get them in my possession it's on to the next thing, LOL!

Long time lurker...first time poster.....with that said...I like Tobacco Oud more. There's something to be said about the sweet tobacco and slight incense vibe in that fragrance.

Tobacco oud

Oud Wood

I changed my opinion on this, for versatility I'd pick oud wood. In winter tobacco oud is great. Oud wood just does everything well and gets me compliments

Oud wood. Enough said

Tobacco oud has more personality imo but I agree with those saying neither fragrance is a must-have

Quote Originally Posted by BigFish View Post
    Tobacco oud has more personality imo but I agree with those saying neither fragrance is a must-have
    I also like more Oud Wood, but in my nose seems something very linear, no particular

Oud Wood without a doubt.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?