Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Tobacco Oud or Oud Wood

Tobacco oud hands down for me. While oud wood just smells like many other oud based frags out there, I find tobacco oud to be very unique. Tobacco Oud Intense is also quite special and worth sampling.

Haven't tried the Tobacco Oud Intense yet. Gotta check that out before I pull the trigger on one of these.
    "I drank what?" -Socrates

Oud Wood.

User of Toilet Water

I prefer Tobacco Oud to Oud Wood, but TO is too ambery to me. Using the word "oud" in either name is taking a lot of liberties I think. I actually prefer Oud Fleur to either one of these. But anyone interested in a tobacco-oud fragrance should check out Areej le Dore's Oud Picante. It's what TF's Tobacco Oud wishes it were.
    Currently wearing: Royal Oud by Creed

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny Beast View Post
    Just curious if opinions of those who've already posted have evolved or maybe there's some new perspectives out there. For those who have both, which do you reach for more often?
    Same. Wonder if I'll get a reply.

Bangkok's answer is interesting as I, too, think Oud Fleur is really good. Not sure it's to my taste but it seems like the best 'Oud' fragrance from the brand - Oud Minerale is basically a non-oud fragrance, as is TO and TOI. They don't count. And Oud Wood, to me, smells just drab and boring.

Can't attest to how others' opinions have changed but my ideas about TO and TOI change every few weeks or so. I'm honestly not sure which I prefer, to the point of nearly giving up on both of them. TOI is this beautiful, ambery, incense-y (nag champa), scorched tobacco and wood scent. TO has a gorgeous whisky opening which can be a little sickly, is a better 'blend' with more nuance, more layers, with obviously dirty tobacco, some amber warmth reminiscent of AA (but not massively similar), lots of spice and maybe, ever so slightly, a hint of oud in there, which isn't really clear among the 'power' of TOI.

Both are very similar, but both are different enough to warrant owning both if you like them. I'm making my way through another set of decants of both and I really cannot decide - mixing it up between the two honestly seems like a good way to go. Don't get bored, or put off, by the power and dirt of either.

OW for me is the 'perfect' fragrance...in theory. That just doesn't live up to execution. Forget the performance issues, just the scent alone should be 'the' Tom Ford benchmark and hallmark of the house. At least for men. I'm really trying to like it but it just comes across as a failed attempt to modernise/masculinise/mainstream...ise (?) YSL M7. Same oud note, tries to include some balsamic warmth, but just ends up coming across as boring, drab, underwhelming etc. I hate it only because I absolutely want to love it, more than any other scent. Oud Wood Intense is an infinitely better - but far less appropriate - fragrance. Dirty and animalic. I would have loved to see that stand alone - or come out as 'Bois Marocain Intense' instead. Then, there would be the chance to actually make a proper Oud Wood Intense, something that mimics M7 by going down the balsamic side of things, rather than something that smells like sexy (to some people) catpiss.

As such, I don't think TO v OW is a good comparison. Too different in their own right. But TO if you love dirty masculine scents, with an eye on TOI as well. OW if youre happy with boring.

User of Toilet Water

Quote Originally Posted by Bangkok Hound View Post
    I prefer Tobacco Oud to Oud Wood, but TO is too ambery to me. Using the word "oud" in either name is taking a lot of liberties I think. I actually prefer Oud Fleur to either one of these. But anyone interested in a tobacco-oud fragrance should check out Areej le Dore's Oud Picante. It's what TF's Tobacco Oud wishes it were.
    I still feel the same way even after trying Oud Wood Intense, Tobacco Oud Intense, and Oud Minerale- I still prefer Oud Fleur. But an even better "real'' tobacco oud is Rania J's T. Habanero.
    Currently wearing: Royal Oud by Creed

I still have yet to try Oud Fleur. Guess I never reached for it on the display at Nordstrom. I'll be wearing Tobacco Oud as my SOTD today (my first actual wearing). I'll come back to this thread to give my thoughts on it and Oud Wood which I have worn a few times already.

Basenotes Junkie Andy the frenchy's Avatar

Tobacco Oud= great tobacco frag with a hint of wood. Bold, strong, but not easy to wear in all the contexts.
    Oud Wood= sandalwood frag with a wet woody twist in the opening. Good but not great, poor performance, linear. Terribly overpriced for what it is, and every other joe wears that.

I think it's clear that I opt for the first one. But as a discreet office frag, Oud Wood can do the job (but again, for that price, one could have way better).
    Currently wearing: L'Humaniste by Frapin

Basenotes Junkie Andy the frenchy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bangkok Hound View Post
    But an even better "real'' tobacco oud is Rania J's T. Habanero.
    Truth. And Rania J is priced half of Tom Ford PB line. But one has to love real oud, as Rania J is unapologetic: I own Oud Assam, I love it but not obviously easy to wear in all circumstances.
    That said, I would opt for T Habanero any day over Tobacco Oud.
    Currently wearing: L'Humaniste by Frapin

Thanks for the detailed opinions!

I have now tried both, and I can conclude that I do enjoy both Oud Wood and Tobacco Oud. To me, Oud Wood is smooth and sexy. It is certainly the more "wearable" of the two, and the least likely to offend. For me, Oud Wood falls short because it becomes sweeter than I care for in the dry down. Other than that, the scent itself is very pleasing. This is a smell that I would describe as "comforting." The longevity is okay. For the price, it just falls short. May be worth owning a bottle, but to me, it's not my first choice.

Tobacco Oud is a far more powerful scent, on the other hand. It's harsh throughout, but particularly in the opening. The tobacco and whiskey notes are prominent, but the oud -- not so much. It is very, very dry. It seems to get more dry as it's worn. I wore it yesterday as my SOTD and in the evening I could still smell it. Above average longevity. I went on a date to a skating rink and, for some reason, this fragrance seemed very fitting for that environment. While this fragrance is very harsh, there is something about it that I find extremely comforting. I imagine this is something one wears purely for their own enjoyment. It grew on me -- a lot. The first two or three times I smelled it on paper, I thought it was gross. As it developed on my skin, I came to love it more and more. Tobacco Oud is much more likely to offend people than Oud Wood. It is not a people pleaser by any means. It is powerful and unapologetic, much like Tuscan Leather -- which is exactly why I love it.

After sampling Tobacco Oud for the day, I purchased a bottle. This stuff deserves a spot on my shelf. I will wear this wonderful beast purely for my enjoyment -- not to impress others. Any other thoughts from those of you who own either OW or TO are appreciated.

Both are lovely, and merit ownership in their own right. My bottles are from shortly after release, and I’m not sure how they compare to the current batches. I find I fluctuate between which of these I prefer: originally I would have said OW, but I’ve been back and forth between the two. They’re different enough to capture different moods, and satisfy different needs.

Texturally, I find them quite different. There’s a soft, smokiness to TO that adds a layer of comfort to the scent. It’s ‘snugglier’ than OW, which is more polished. I tend to lean more towards OW for daytime, and TO for evenings or weekends. I can see why someone might chose OW for presence, and TO for personal enjoyment.
    Chypreish”:
    /ˈSHēpRAiSH/
    adjective
    (of a person or expression) to be desirous of an abundance of chypre.
    "Today, she was feeling chypreish”

Quote Originally Posted by Lellabelle View Post
    They’re different enough to capture different moods, and satisfy different needs.

I can see why someone might chose OW for presence, and TO for personal enjoyment.
    I can agree with that.