Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Any hope Gucci will bring back Nobile, Envy or Rush with Giannini's departure?

Don't hold your breath!
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

Default Re: Any hope Gucci will bring back Nobile, Envy or Rush with Giannini's departure?

Quote Originally Posted by badarun View Post
    Yes - never said that the Oud Absolu wasn't good, it's quite good & I own it. But this isn't similar to the vintage M7, now I don't have the later edition of M7, so can't compare on how similar that's to the Oud Absolu...
    Oud Absolu is pretty close to the original but does have the musky drydown. The later formulation ( clear sides bottle) was more along the lines of M7 fresh but not sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by DolceThaDon View Post
    Although they were reformulated the new YSL re-issued fragrances are a lot better than having nothing at all.. I wish Gucci would do the same thing YSL did for the male classic and female classics..
    I agree completely.
    and wish those classic scents will be back, at least those not very old ones like Gucci Envy and Rush.
    Now glad to have a good substitution for the Pour Homme 2003, Bentley For Men Absolute!
    My all time favorite:

Dior Fahrenheit

Unlikely but one can hope.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Quote Originally Posted by HankHarvey View Post
    At least Gianni brought us The Dreamer, a stunning scent.
    that's gianni versace not gucci
    Currently wearing: CH Men by Carolina Herrera

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    I don't think the fashion designer has any say in the perfumery aspect, safe perhaps in the design of a bottle, if at all. I'm with colin in this case, though, that these weren't to me the holy grail. Good and lamented, but i'd rather see the reappearance of other things.

cacio
    they do. they have a say in everything. their title is creative director or some sort.
    Currently wearing: CH Men by Carolina Herrera

While sadly having no further information whether these fragrances will ever be brought back, but even if a petition or anything similar to bring them back is ever started, would be glad to join and/or sign

Absolutley none -- expect more dreck only

No chance. Gucci is a house that flushed themselves down the toilet as soon as they discontinued their best stuff like Nobile, Pour Homme, Envy and Rush. I would buy10 bottles of Nobile if they reissued that masterpiece but i am not holding my breath.
    “Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it.” -Leo Tolstoy-

Top 10
    1. Gucci Nobile
    2. Micallef Royal Vintage
    3. Lucien Ferrero Par Amour Pour Lui
    4. Gucci Pour Homme 2003
    5. Frederic Malle Bois d'Orage
    6. MFK Masculin Pluriel
    7. Creed Bois du Portugal
    8. Killian Sacred Wood
    9. TF Beau de Jour
    10. Houbigant Bois Mystique

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

We'll likely never see these kinds of fragrances outside of $400 niche takes ever again. Mainstream/designer perfume has been thoroughly conquered by bean counters and chem/flavorant giants like IFF and Firmenich.
    oh look, I have a signature

Yeah, i have a full and an almost full 120 ml of pre barcode version of Nobile which is a rarity even for Nobile standards and both bottles combined are worth around 700, 800 dollars. I aquired both for around 400 which is insane to begin with but the current prices are even higher. Its ridiculous.
    “Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it.” -Leo Tolstoy-

Top 10
    1. Gucci Nobile
    4. Gucci Pour Homme 2003
    6. MFK Masculin Pluriel
    8. Killian Sacred Wood
    9. TF Beau de Jour

I don't think anyone's actually paying those prices. Sounds like you got scammed. The most expensive a 120ml bottle has sold for on UK ebay is £250, going down to £140. I'd ask for a partial refund if possible - do you think you might have significantly overpaid?

Basenotes Plus

Well, it hasn't happened in the 4 1/2 years since this thread died. As for what people will pay, eBay completed listings say people are indeed forking out $4/ml. But, I ain't one of those people.
    Currently wearing: Santos by Cartier

Quote Originally Posted by PStoller View Post
    Well, it hasn't happened in the 4 1/2 years since this thread died. As for what people will pay, eBay completed listings say people are indeed forking out $4/ml. But, I ain't one of those people.
    Absolutely. The 120 ml bottles are going for around 400 to 450 dollars in US and people are buying. On German ebay, a 60 ml bottle was sold for 240 Euros. I am in talks with someone on german ebay, the guy is trying to sell his half full 120 ml bottle for 125 euros and i have been trying to get it down to around 100 but he is not accepting.

A guy selling his 120 ml bottle for 140 either doesnt know what he actually owns or he is just impatient and opts for the easy and fast cash. Unfortunately, a few of my absolute favorites are discontinued and Nobile is my nr. 1 so i either have to quit using this fragrance which i cant aslong as i know there are still bottles to be had on the market, or i have to pay these ridiculous prices. However two 120 ml bottles for less than 400 bucks, that makes 120 ml for less than 200. Unfortunately, these kind of prices are really considered steals nowadays.

Top 10
    1. Gucci Nobile
    4. Gucci Pour Homme 2003
    6. MFK Masculin Pluriel
    8. Killian Sacred Wood
    9. TF Beau de Jour

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by afterdark View Post
    Unfortunately, a few of my absolute favorites are discontinued and Nobile is my nr. 1 so i either have to quit using this fragrance which i cant aslong as i know there are still bottles to be had on the market, or i have to pay these ridiculous prices.
    Come on; it's not heroin. Even if limited to discontinued classics, there are many options that are more reasonably priced. I have my favorites, as everyone does, but one reason I've opted for a broad collection is so as not to be stuck when one fragrance grows scarce (or is priced as if it has). I'll be sad when my preferred scents go through the roof, but I'm not taking out a second mortgage to buy them.

As if anybody would give me one with the hole those scents left in the roof.
    Currently wearing: Santos by Cartier

Quote Originally Posted by PStoller View Post
    Come on; it's not heroin. Even if limited to discontinued classics, there are many options that are more reasonably priced. I have my favorites, as everyone does, but one reason I've opted for a broad collection is so as not to be stuck when one fragrance grows scarce (or is priced as if it has). I'll be sad when my preferred scents go through the roof, but I'm not taking out a second mortgage to buy them.

As if anybody would give me one with the hole those scents left in the roof.
    Well its kind of a heroin. I am down to around 65 bottles from 250 so i know what it feels like to have a big collection to chose from but once you love a scent, you love it, you could own 900 different fragrances, but you will always seek out that one that you love so much. Sure, i could live without it and i wouldnt break the bank if i didnt have he cash but aslong as i can afford to buy it, you bet i do. Anyway, i am set for a long time with those two 120 ml bottles.

Top 10
    1. Gucci Nobile
    4. Gucci Pour Homme 2003
    6. MFK Masculin Pluriel
    8. Killian Sacred Wood
    9. TF Beau de Jour

Hmm. Really? I don't see anyone paying $4/ml? Can anyone provide a link of that?

One sealed bottle sold for $500 in the US, otherwise prices are in line with the UK - around £2/ml. So effectively just under $2.5/ml is the going rate for 120ml bottles. Clearly also shows that, if you send it to auction, you can get decent deals significantly below £2/ml. This is what UK ebay has for 120ml bottles of Nobile in the last few months:

£229
    £139.56
    £240
    £255
    £229
    £199

In the US, these are the prices that have sold in the last 3-4 months for 120ml:

$299
    $289
    $229
    $200 (offer accepted - so less than asking price)

I'm struggling to see where anyone is paying anything close to $4/ml unless it's brand new and sealed, and therefore a collector is willing to part with silly money for who knows what reasons. It's highly likely it's someone on this website who's bought it! Anyway, the US prices for Nobile appear to be around the $2.5/ml mark. Pretty consistent with the UK, really. The upper limit is about £2/ml, or £2.5/ml.

As I said, $4/ml sounds like you've been scammed or at least massively, massively overpaid - although I see that you said you paid 400 (euros? dollars?) for both, which is obviously a bit different.

Unfortunately, the references to heroin probably aren't that far off the mark - fragrance/perfume and collecting can definitely cause addictive traits in people. I have a sample and no way would I pay that much money. It's simply not the market rate whatsoever, fortunately. £2/ml is the upper limit I'd pay for something I love, and I don't love Nobile. Always a risky game buying vintage as well - never know if it's spoilt.

Someone in the US has paid $65 for about 15-17ml of this - over $4/ml!! - which is certainly overpaying in my book.

Seems the market is pretty volatile - wonder if the interest basenotes creates might produce a spike in prices as people get twitchy to buy - but definitely seems like there are both bad and not quite so bad deals to be had for this. I'll be honest, I'm pretty content with my sample for now, but if I did wish to buy a bottle it seems prudent to wait and not jump the gun. Even in the last few months, there are clearly 'better' deals to be had if you show some self restraint.

Wonder if anyone else has noticed that? Interest on basenotes causes a rise in prices on ebay etc.? Several threads have been made - or, like this, resurrected from the dead - on Gucci Nobile in the last few days. Seems a bit suspicious? Or at least slightly strange.

Anyway, possible deliberate price gouging aside, this is actually quite an interesting topic.

I really like Gucci Pour Homme and Rush for Men - Envy I'm less a fan of, and I'm making up my mind on Nobile as I only have 2ml and I havn't given it a proper wearing yet: think I'll try that next weekend, but I think it's simply too old school for me. GPH2 has just been axed as well - but even before then people were seeking out 'vintages' as the reformulated version performed so poorly.

IF...and it's a huge 'if'...IF Gucci (or the respective perfumers) actually did re-release these old scents, would the people be happy?

I ask this as, quite clearly, Bentley Absolute is clearly as close as you can get to GHP1 without being identical. Minor differences...yet for some those are terminal. The loss of leather and slightly musty woodiness for the sake of a synthetic oud note and designer aromachemicals means, eventhough it's unlikely ANYONE would tell the difference between the two scents on your skin/in the air, some people aren't happy with it.

Likewise, I imagine you could do the same along the line with GPH2, Envy, Rush, Nobile etc. It is the totality people want as much as anything else. Even very, very minor diferences aren't good enough. And so the question is - is it possible to re-release 20-30 year old scents exactly as they were? Almost certainly not.

Personally speaking, I'd love to see a 'reworking' of Gucci Rush rather than an identical re-issue - partly because I think it can be improved. If you could maintain the peppery woods in the drydown, improve performance, keep the warmth, but perhaps beef it up a bit and make some notes a touch more distinct, I'd love that. I'd be happy to lose the menthol/camphor that is present in the opening and have something closer to Wonderwood that transforms to the woody-warmth of Rush. I'd LOVE to lose the atrocious performance of Rush as well, and however much I like it, at present, of the 7 fragrances I have, it's the closest to the chopping block simply because its performance is disgraceful.

So it's an interesting question - if Gucci were to re-release scents...would people even be happy? Is it the memories of their original release, or even the 'prestige' that can be had for owning/wearing something scarce and valuable?

1. “horrible fragrances that appeal only to people who are too young to know any better”

Wrong, they appeal to me, I’m 40, Envy is my all time favourite while GPH and Rush are up there. Does that mean I can’t enjoy Guilty Intense? Guilty Oud, Intense Oud, Guilty Absolute or Made to Measure? There’s nothing wrong with them at all, they’re quite nice

2. “If you miss Envy Men, get Carven Homme, it's even better.” No it’s not, it has a slight resemblance but it’s nowhere near as exciting or fresh at any stage, if anything it’s much more outdated

3. “Bentley Absolute, black bottle, is a 99.5% clone of GpH”

Try about a 25% clone for GPH, it really doesn’t come close to being as good

4. “Floris Santal is definitely very similar to Envy, though I think Envy the better of the two.”

It’s not similar at all, I’ve never understood this comparison.
    My top 30

1. Gucci Envy / D&G By Man
    2. Amber Sky /Cedrat Boise
    3. Costarela / TFK Arab Spring
    4. Dior Homme Intense / Incense Oud
    5. Dior Homme Cologne / Chez Bond
    6. Layton / Aventus
    7. Antidote / By the Fireplace
    8. Gucci Pour Homme / Armani Attitude
    9. Black Phantom / Baccarat Rouge 540
    10. D&G The One EDP / M7
    11. Santal Majuscule / Reckless
    12. Diadema / Prada L’Homme
    13. Habdan / Tuxedo
    14. Lira / Dior Homme Sport 2012
    15. Citric Santa Eulalia / Clive X

Harsh on Bentley Absolute in my opinion. Lacks the nuance, yes, but in the air? 25% similar? A lot more than that, I'd say. If you're actually wearing the stuff, and not dissecting it, it's basically the same scent.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Envy View Post

2. “If you miss Envy Men, get Carven Homme, it's even better.” No it’s not, it has a slight resemblance but it’s nowhere near as exciting or fresh at any stage, if anything it’s much more outdated

3. “Bentley Absolute, black bottle, is a 99.5% clone of GpH”

Try about a 25% clone for GPH, it really doesn’t come close to being as good

4. “Floris Santal is definitely very similar to Envy, though I think Envy the better of the two.”

It’s not similar at all, I’ve never understood this comparison.
    Agreed. The only objection is, that while i dont see Bentley as a successfull substitute to GPH, i still think 25% similarity is a bit too low. I would say 50 to 60% but to me this is not enough to accept it as an appropriate substitue to such a gorgeous scent that GPH certainly is.

Top 10
    1. Gucci Nobile
    4. Gucci Pour Homme 2003
    6. MFK Masculin Pluriel
    8. Killian Sacred Wood
    9. TF Beau de Jour