Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question List of 100 Natural Aroma Materials

I found the list of 100 synthetic materials extremely useful.
    I am wondering if there is any appetite on the forum to construct a similar one for natural materials. I looked elsewhere but couldn't find one. Let me know if I am duplicating.
    I will start it off with with a list and perhaps with everyone's help we could create a top 100 list that would be useful for those of us creating our perfumer's palette. The point is to make a list that would be the most useful and versatile starter items to spend our hard earned money on. There are many variations of many of the natural items. Orange comes to mind, with its many versions.
    I have put a list together to start the conversation, I know it will need refining and adjusting. I am happy to do the work of editing the list, if you can give me your thoughts.

1 African Bluegrass
    2 Allspice
    3 Ambrette
    4 Amyris
    5 Angelica
    6 Basil
    7 Bay leaf
    8 Benzoin
    9 Bergamot
    10 Birch (Sweet)
    11 Rosewood
    12 Buchu
    13 Cabreuva
    14 Cacao (Cocoa) ABS
    15 Cade
    16 Cajeput
    17 Calmus
    18 Cape May
    19 Cardamom
    20 Carnation ABS
    21 Carrot seeds
    22 Cassia
    23 Cassie
    24 Cedar Leaf
    25 Cedarwood (Virginian)
    26 Chamomile, Roman
    27 Champaca
    28 Cinnamon Bark
    29 Cinnamon Leaf
    30 Clove
    31 Cognac
    32 Copaiba Balsam
    33 Coriander
    34 Costus
    35 Cypress
    36 Davana
    37 Elemi
    38 Eucalyptus
    39 Fir Needle
    40 Frankincense (Olibanum)
    41 Galbanum
    42 Geranium (Bourbon)
    43 Ginger
    44 Grapefruit
    45 Hay
    46 Helichrysum
    47 Hemlock
    48 Ho Wood
    49 Hyacinth ABS
    50 Jasmine
    51 Juniper berry
    52 Kewda
    53 Kunzia
    54 Labdanum
    55 Laurel Leaf (Bay)
    56 Lavender
    57 Lemon
    58 Lemongrass
    59 Lime
    60 Lindenblossom
    61 Lotus
    62 Marigold
    63 Mimosa
    64 Muhuhu
    65 Myrrh
    66 Neroli
    67 Oakmoss
    68 Opopanax
    69 Orange
    70 Orris root
    71 Palmarosa
    72 Patchouli
    73 Pennyroyal
    74 Pepper
    75 Peppermint
    76 Peru balsam
    77 Petitgrain
    78 Pine
    79 Ravensara
    80 Rosalina
    81 Rose
    82 Rosemary
    83 Sage
    84 Sandalwood
    85 Spearmint
    86 Spikenard
    87 Spruce
    88 Tangerine
    89 Tarragon
    90 Thyme
    91 Tonka beans
    92 Tuberose
    93 Vanilla
    94 Vetiver
    95 Violet leaves
    96 Wintergreen
    97 Yarrow
    98 Ylang-Ylang Extra

Default Re: List of 100 Natural Aroma Materials

I think for those interested in modern perfumery 100 naturals is likely to be far too many. Several of the ones on the list are little used indeed and several more are incredibly expensive. I appreciate the effort you expended here but as someone who makes natural fragrances myself I think a list of 30 or so would be a good start.

To be constructive, I'd add Africa Stone.

I'd agree with the above that a smaller list of naturals would be more useful, if you're at the point where you're moving on to ACs then you're probably prepared for things to start getting complicated, and more likely to know what you want, and a list of 100 is useful (particularly as Chris broke it down in to four sets of 25), whereas when you order your first set of naturals you're likely to be a complete beginner and a set of 100 would be far too many materials to get accustomed to at that point (I know it would have been for me, I'm still relatively new to this and still familiarising myself with new materials on a regular basis).

That being said I'd also add Clary Sage to the list, it was one of the first I picked up. In fact if it's any help I think my first ten were: Bergamot, Cedar, Clary Sage, Geranium, Jasmine, Lemon, Neroli, Patchouli, Sandalwood, Vetiver. It wasn't long before I started adding to that list but it was a useful set of ingredients to get started with.

Basenotes Plus

These can be removed:
    1, 18, 47, 49, 52, 53

Needs:
    More Cedars
    Orangeblossom
    Artemisia varieties
    Nutmeg / Mace

Which:
    Pepper?
    Sage?

PK in Jakarta
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    In addition to Our own PK line, we make Custom Bespoke Perfumes, perfumes for Entrepreneurs needing scents for perfumes or products, Custom Wedding Perfumes, and even Special Event Perfumes.

Agree with Paul. Get rid of 16, 17 (restricted), 20 (very expensive and rare), 22 (you don't need both Cassia and Cinnamon Bark), 23 (don't need Cassie and Mimosa), 34 (banned), 55, 60, 73, 79,80, 97. Also, for a basic list you don't need Rosewood and Ho; I'd keep Ho. Add Cumin, Pink Pepper (Baie Rose), and Fir Balsam.

I am missing cistus, beeswax abs. and guaiac.
    liaison carbone
    RAW MATERIALS FOR PERFUMERY

I have no great experience with ylang but I'm doubting that in a list of 100 naturals, ylang really should be reduced to only and specifically the Extra. Myself I'm more likely to reach for the I, II and/or III (or now the Robertet) than the Extra, depending on the need.

I'd far rather have at least a second ylang than have, say, Wintergreen.

And if materials are being reduced to one type instead of being named as general types where one might have several examples, jasmine needs to be at least both sambac and grandiflorum.

I have made the changes requested so far. I.D. Adam, perhaps the list should be shorter, but let's see where it gets to after everyone's input. I have revised it into three columns, 30 items each. HRLQN I put your items in the top thirty, I agree those are some of the first I purchased. Paul I am assuming Black Pepper. Should the animal notes be added?
    VERSION 2
    1 Clary Sage 31 Cinnamon Bark 61 Muhuhu
    2 Geranium (Bourbon) 32 Cinnamon Leaf 62 Myrrh
    3 Jasmine 33 Cistus 63 Nutmeg / Mace
    4 Lemon 34 Clove 64 Oakmoss
    5 Neroli 35 Cognac 65 Opopanax
    6 Patchouli 36 Copaiba Balsam 66 Orange
    7 Sandalwood 37 Coriander 67 Orangeblossom
    8 Vetiver 38 Cumin 68 Orris root
    9 Africa Stone 39 Cypress 69 Palmarosa
    10 Allspice 40 Davana 70 Pepper (black)
    11 Ambrette 41 Elemi 71 Peppermint
    12 Amyris 42 Eucalyptus 72 Peru balsam
    13 Angelica 43 Fir Balsam 73 Petitgrain
    14 Artemisia varieties 44 Fir Needle 74 Pine
    15 Basil 45 Frankincense (Olibanum) 75 Pink Pepper (Baie Rose)
    16 Bay leaf 46 Galbanum 76 Rose
    17 Beeswax abs. 47 Ginger 77 Rosemary
    18 Benzoin 48 Grapefruit 78 Sage
    19 Bergamot 49 Guaiac 79 Spearmint
    20 Birch (Sweet) 50 Hay 80 Spikenard
    21 Buchu 51 Helichrysum 81 Spruce
    22 Cabreuva 52 Ho Wood 82 Tangerine
    23 Cacao (Cocoa) ABS 53 Juniper berry 83 Tarragon
    24 Cade 54 Labdanum 84 Thyme
    25 Cardamom 55 Lavender 85 Tonka beans
    26 Carrot seeds 56 Lemongrass 86 Tuberose
    27 Cedar Leaf 57 Lime 87 Vanilla
    28 Cedarwood (Virginian) 58 Lotus 88 Violet leaves
    29 Chamomile, Roman 59 Marigold 89 Wintergreen
    30 Champaca 60 Mimosa 90 Ylang-Ylang Extra
    Last edited by julian35; 23rd February 2015 at 03:24 PM.

I'd also wonder about lotus being in the top 100. It seems such a speciality thing, not a basic.

I think castoreum should be added, and if speaking of perfumery use without wish to limit personal option, civet.

Ambergris tincture, I'd think, would have to come ahead of some of these. Not for a mainstream commercial product, but for many DIY perfumers using much naturals.

It didn't seem to me the list is confined to the mainstream commercially-useful but if it's intended to be, then no ambergris, or civet either. Or Africa Stone (hyraceum.)

If truly wanting a starter list, to me no more than 40 of these fit that description. The others are good items to consider adding as desired after having the starter list.
    Last edited by Bill Roberts; 23rd February 2015 at 03:56 PM.

I suggested Africa Stone with the idea of this list being primarily for natural perfumers who need it and ambrette seed as sources of musk. Clearly if using AC as well then there's no real need for Africa Stone (Hyraceum). Natural castoreum is also a wonderful musk but some have objections. I've assumed natural civet is all but unobtainable for most people and yes natural ambergris would also be wonderful but hard to obtain.

Someone else brought up the very relevant point about different varieties of a given natural essence. I can think of at least 7 rose varieties I'd want to have on hand before using ravensara or rosalina, not to mention 3 petitgrains, etc.

Marigold/tagetes is all but banned.
    Last edited by I.D.Adam; 23rd February 2015 at 04:40 PM.

I was looking in the new table had mistakenly thought Africa Stone was in the original 100 list.

Natural civet and ambergris are so far as I know no harder to obtain -- it's Internet purchase overseas from smaller sources either way, unless there's a US source for Africa Stone that I hadn't known of (totally possible.)

I didn't know whether Julian's intent was a "make your own choices" list or a "These are recommendations I agree with" type list. It would be depending on that whether the civet or castoreum got in, not on usefulness I think. On availability, several on the list are relatively hard to find, in the sense of being available at no-minimum-order retailers.

Your point on whether a material could be on the list due to a person not using aromachemicals, but perhaps little needed or unneeded if they do, seems very important. It might help the list to mark with an asterisk, or in some way, those items that aren't particularly needed if you use aromachemicals.
    Last edited by Bill Roberts; 23rd February 2015 at 07:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Roberts View Post
    I didn't know whether Julian's intent was a "make your own choices" list or a "These are recommendations I agree with" type list. It would be depending on that whether the civet or castoreum got in, not on usefulness I think.
    Thanks Bill, my intent, as in the synthetic molecule sticky, was to create a list intended as a starting point for aspiring DIY-perfumers. Assuming the DIY perfumer is using the full perfumer's palette, both natural and synthetic. A " recommendation I would agree with list", as a beginner list.
    It appears there should be a hierarchy to the list from the discussion, similar to the synthetics list. I will adjust the column headings, etc to make it obvious. More discussion and the picture becomes clearer. Thanks

I think this is a lovely idea but I think perhaps any large undirectional list of any kind, natural or not, is probably daunting for any beginner because it is meaningless to choose ingredients at random until any knowledge is gained. What if the complete beginner who could only afford ten items, accidentally chose all the woods for example?

The point must be looked at first of why anything is needed. What is the objective.....?

My take would be something like this. At the start of the smelly journey, a newb perfumer is going to want to experiment a little and produce some simple and super smelling blends without too much mud. If you want a hit list list that is useful and directive, then I suggest the aroma groups should be separated and the ingredients put into them. Such as citrus, woods, greens, animalics etc etc, then these also put into order within those groups from lemons through to oranges for instance. This would help the new perfumer differentiate what they were seeking without having to know the smell.

Something akin to the colour wheel for artists paints. You would only need one light blue and one dark blue at first, One yellow and one orange etc etc.

I will have a look and see if I can find something suitable.

From a quick hunt, this is what I mean but it is for wine tasting.
    image.jpg

If I cannot find one, then as a graphic designer, I can easily draw it for you once the important ingredients are decided and agreed upon.

Here is another. They are beautiful things.
    image.jpg

Getting nearer.
    image.jpg

These get better and better... this wonderful beer one. Ooooooooh I'm getting all unnecessary over these.
    image.jpg

I'm stopping now.... last one (whisky).... no more I promise.
    image.jpg
    Last edited by mumsy; 23rd February 2015 at 10:00 PM.
    The PONK club - gymnosium for perfumers (NOTE:- New club matters on hold whilst I care for my mum)

Twitter - @PonkClub for regular twitter updates

My Tincture list

A perfumed life - Tinctures, perfumes, cordials, wines and ingredients

Good idea mumsy though we can still end up with a brutally long list of naturals from which to choose. My concern also is that many of these are ghastly expensive and to put up a list of a 100 that will be hopelessly pricey to replicate could be very discouraging.

I do have a Mandy Aftel perfumer's wheel somewhere. Maybe one online.

This one. (I know.... I promised.....)
    image.jpg

Perhaps they could start from the inside of the wheel and branch out to more choices. These really tickled the old designer taste buds. I feel a wheel design coming on. This has stoked the thought fire.
    Last edited by mumsy; 23rd February 2015 at 10:54 PM.
    The PONK club - gymnosium for perfumers (NOTE:- New club matters on hold whilst I care for my mum)

My Tincture list

[QUOTE=mumsy;3387231} These really tickled the old designer taste buds. I feel a wheel design coming on. This has stoked the thought fire.[/QUOTE]
    I think you have landed onto something here Mumsy and I.D.Adam. A choice wheel, I love it!
    It is a great way of creating a comprehensive, easy to understand list. I have always liked the Aftelier Wheel.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by julian35; 23rd February 2015 at 11:23 PM.

Basenotes Plus

I posted a number of fragrance ingredients wheels on he PSH website... hard for me to locate them presently though, because of my location... PK
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    In addition to Our own PK line, we make Custom Bespoke Perfumes, perfumes for Entrepreneurs needing scents for perfumes or products, Custom Wedding Perfumes, and even Special Event Perfumes.

Quote Originally Posted by mumsy View Post
    I think this is a lovely idea but I think perhaps any large undirectional list of any kind, natural or not, is probably daunting for any beginner because it is meaningless to choose ingredients at random until any knowledge is gained. What if the complete beginner who could only afford ten items, accidentally chose all the woods for example?
    Agreed, I was imagining we would do the same thing that was done with the synthetic material; break the list down into perhaps 4 levels. That certainly seemed to solve that issue. However, I think you have stumbled onto a wonderful idea here Mumsy, An inner circle of basic materials, speed across all the families, getting more complex and larger in number as it heads to the outer circle. I will work on this idea and see what I can come up with.

The Aftel wheel shows 114 materials broken down into 14 "families"
    AGRESTIC HEAVY BLOND TOBACCO
    AGRESTIC HEAVY HAY
    AGRESTIC HEAVY LOVAGE
    AGRESTIC HEAVY OAKMOSS
    ANIMALIC RICH AFRICA STONE
    ANIMALIC RICH AMBERGRIS
    ANIMALIC RICH AMBRETTE
    ANIMALIC RICH CASTOREUM
    ANIMALIC RICH CIVET
    ANIMALIC RICH COSTUS
    ANIMALIC RICH MUSK
    BALSAMIC AMBER CISTUS
    BALSAMIC AMBER LABDANUM
    BALSAMIC CARAMEL BENZOIN
    BALSAMIC CARAMEL OPOPANAX
    BALSAMIC CARAMEL PERU BALSAM
    BALSAMIC CARAMEL TOLU BALSAM
    BALSAMIC LIGHT FRANKINCENSE
    BALSAMIC LIGHT MYRRH
    BALSAMIC LIGHT STYRAX
    CITRUS LEMON LEMON
    CITRUS LEMON LEMON VERBEN
    CITRUS LEMON LITSEA CUBEB
    CITRUS ORANGE BITTER ORANGE
    CITRUS ORANGE BLOOD ORANGE
    CITRUS ORANGE MANDARIN
    CITRUS ORANGE PETTIGRAIN
    CITRUS ORANGE SWEET ORANGE
    CITRUS ORANGE TANGERINE
    CITRUS SWEET BERGAMOT
    CITRUS SWEET LIME
    CITRUS SWEET PINK GRAPEFRUIT
    EARTHY RICH CALAMUS
    EARTHY RICH CARROT SEED
    EARTHY RICH CEPES
    EARTHY RICH PATCHOULI
    EARTHY RICH SAFFRON
    EARTHY RICH VETIVER
    EDIBLE LIQUEUR BLACK TEA
    EDIBLE LIQUEUR COFFEE
    EDIBLE LIQUEUR COGNAC
    EDIBLE LIQUEUR MASSOI
    EDIBLE SWEET BITTER ALMOND
    EDIBLE SWEET COCO
    EDIBLE SWEET TONKA
    EDIBLE SWEET VANILL
    FLORAL GREEN GERANIUM
    FLORAL GREEN LAVENDER
    FLORAL GREEN LINDEN BLOSSOM
    FLORAL GREEN VIOLET LEAF
    FLORAL HEAVY CHAMP
    FLORAL HEAVY JASMINE
    FLORAL HEAVY ORANGE FLOWER
    FLORAL HEAVY TUBEROSE
    FLORAL HEAVY YLANG YLANG
    FLORAL SHARP DAVANA
    FLORAL SHARP GINGER LILY
    FLORAL SHARP KEWD
    FLORAL SHARP MARIGOLD
    FLORAL SHARP NEROLI
    FLORAL SHARP OSMANTHUS
    FLORAL SOFT CASSIE
    FLORAL SOFT FRANGIPANI
    FLORAL SOFT LOTUS
    FLORAL SOFT MIMOSA
    FLORAL SOFT ORRIS
    FLORAL SOFT ROSE
    FRUITY APPLE CAPE CHAMOMILE
    FRUITY APPLE ROMAN CHAMOMILE
    FRUITY APPLE TAGETTE
    FRUITY BERRY BLACK CURRANT
    FRUITY BERRY BORONI
    FRUITY BERRY ROOIBAS
    GREEN SHARP GALANGAL
    GREEN SHARP GALBANUM
    GREEN SHARP PERILLA
    GREEN TEA CLARY SAGE
    GREEN TEA GREEN TE
    GREEN TEA ROSEMARY ABSOLUTE
    HERBAL ANISIC ANISE
    HERBAL ANISIC ANISE HYSSOP
    HERBAL ANISIC BASIL
    HERBAL ANISIC FENNEL
    HERBAL ANISIC TARRAGON
    HERBAL SHARP ANGELICA ROOT
    HERBAL SHARP ARMOISE
    HERBAL SHARP LAVENDER
    HERBAL SHARP OREGANO
    HERBAL SHARP WORMWOOD
    MARINE SEASHORE CHOYA
    MARINE SEASHORE SEAWEED
    MINTY SWEET PEPPERMINT
    MINTY SWEET SPEARMINT
    MINTY SWEET WINTERGREEN
    SPICY DRY BLACK PEPPER
    SPICY DRY GREEN PEPPER
    SPICY DRY JUNIPER BERRY
    SPICY DRY PINK PEPPER
    SPICY FRESH CILANTRO
    SPICY FRESH CORIANDER
    SPICY FRESH GINGER
    SPICY SWEET CARDAMOM
    SPICY SWEET CINNAMON
    SPICY SWEET CLOVE
    SPICY SWEET NUTMEG
    SPICY SWEET PIMENTO BERRY
    WOODY FLORAL BOIS DE ROSE
    WOODY FLORAL CABREUVA
    WOODY FLORAL GUIACWOOD
    WOODY SWEET AGARWOOD
    WOODY SWEET AMYRIS
    WOODY SWEET CEDARWOOD
    WOODY SWEET FIR
    WOODY SWEET SANDALWOOD

Quote Originally Posted by julian35 View Post
    Agreed, I was imagining we would do the same thing that was done with the synthetic material; break the list down into perhaps 4 levels. That certainly seemed to solve that issue. However, I think you have stumbled onto a wonderful idea here Mumsy, An inner circle of basic materials, speed across all the families, getting more complex and larger in number as it heads to the outer circle. I will work on this idea and see what I can come up with.
    Quite happy to help. I have the right programme on my mac to draw it up in seconds. It used to be my job as I was a graphic designer BC. Tell me how you'd like it and it will be done. I could do the thought part for you but that wouldn't be fair as you started the thread.
    Last edited by mumsy; 24th February 2015 at 09:34 AM.

My Tincture list

Perfume wheels are great, but also limit the material to just one classification so that Iris can't be both woody and floral. The Sigma-Aldrich 'wheel' can be useful though. SAFC put FEMA materials (but not all naturals have a FEMA number) into up to 5 classifications. If we can get this right we can look forward to doing all this again for natural aroma chemicals.
    Last edited by nemenator; 24th February 2015 at 09:46 AM.

The more brains on this initially the better to get it just so. I am an extreme nerd when it comes to this sort of thing. There will be a way of coding each ingredient within a structure. It is a matter for determining each ingredient boundary before rushing the design such as two or even more categories. An ingredient that was a citrus floral would also struggle as would a woody green.

A couple more to peruse.

image.jpg

image.jpg
    Last edited by mumsy; 24th February 2015 at 09:58 AM.

My Tincture list

I think it would be useful to have the 100 synthetics arranged in this way too.

Basenotes Plus

As a newbie, I love these ideas. From my perspective, I like the idea of having the center area list the most basic categories, which might also name the materials that are most useful and that I'd want larger quantities of eventually. Then, as i expand my palette, I get smaller quantities of the materials that are have more specific but less common uses. If I had one of these for naturals, and one for synthetics, it might guide me towards being able to substitute a natural for a synthetic or vice versa, as well as either within their own class. I know that this substitution wouldn't be just take out this, put in that and get the same result, but it would be easier to work towards the desired effect if I had one kind of material and not the other.
    Mumsy, thanks for all those wonderful wheels. I can hardly wait to see your own work! And thanks to all that will contribute your invaluable knowledge to this effort; I know I will benefit and I'm really looking forward to it!

Quote Originally Posted by mumsy View Post
    Quite happy to help. I have the right programme on my mac to draw it up in seconds. It used to be my job as I was a graphic designer BC. Tell me how you'd like it and it will be done. I could do the thought part for you but that wouldn't be fair as you started the thread.
    That would be brilliant Mumsy. Let me create something and I will send it over to you. I enjoy data and I really enjoy a puzzle. Once we have created something, then it could be posted so everyone can have a poke at it. From there it could be refined.

Quote Originally Posted by nemenator View Post
    If we can get this right we can look forward to doing all this again for natural aroma chemicals.
    Great idea... let's see how we progress with all the naturals.

Quote Originally Posted by David Ruskin View Post
    I think it would be useful to have the 100 synthetics arranged in this way too.
    Agreed David, if we can get the format correct on the naturals, I think a synthetic wheel would be a great addition.

Basenotes Plus

Sorry, double post.
    Last edited by Toujours Mink; 4th March 2015 at 06:37 AM.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Roberts View Post
    I was looking in the new table had mistakenly thought Africa Stone was in the original 100 list.

Natural civet and ambergris are so far as I know no harder to obtain -- it's Internet purchase overseas from smaller sources either way, unless there's a US source for Africa Stone that I hadn't known of (totally possible.)
    Mandy Aftel has Africa Stone tincture 20% listed at $12 for 5 ml, which is nice for me as a learner, though probably not large enough for professionals. http://www.aftelier.com/Africa-Stone...fricastone.htm

Thank you, I had not known!

A reasonable price for getting an experience, though as the minimum order is $15, either something else will have to be ordered, or quantity 2 will be required. It would be a dreadful price for using much. At that concentration, the price is $12 per gram of contained hyraceum. Quite the markup, as seems always the case with Aftel.

For example, I'm sure Profumo.it cannot be the cheapest, but for example the Hyraceum stone itself there is just under 40 Euros for 25 grams, so about $2 per gram of hyraceum, while another source I don't know is just under $26 for 50 grams, so about 50 cents/g. These of course leave one with the work of tincturing.

Where provided already tinctured, that second source offers 11 g of tincture at 30 percent strength for $14, so that's about $4.20 per gram contained. Profumo.it offers 16 mL at 20 Euros, at unspecified strength. If at least the same (it could well be stronger) that's 3 times the amount at a little over double the price -- and for sure, Profumo is premium priced.

Again, fast and easy option to try at Aftel! ((If the minimum order doesn't require doubling up.)