Code of Conduct

Default Less volatile alternative to Methyl Salicylate

One of my usual questions again.. I really like its effect at small dosages, but want something that lasts longer (much longer).. I couldn't find anything on TGSC.. Does anyone have any ideas?
    Thanks!

Default Re: Less volatile alternative to Methyl Salicylate

Ethyl Salicylate will last a bit longer, but I cannot think of anything that has a strong Wintergreen smell that lasts a long time.

Yeah, I'm familiar with it too.. So depressing..
    I was hoping maybe the aldehyde (Salicyal?) smells similar, and I could then form a Schiff base with it.. But I never smelled it..
    I've also checked salicylic acid..

You might get something like the effect youíre after by using some of the rhubarb odourants - rhubofix, rhubofaran and alicate for example - not exactly wintergreen but at least somewhat in the right direction. Cyclamen aldehyde might help too possibly.
    ďBattle cries and champagne just in time for sunrise.
    ― David Bowie
    Chris Bartlett
    Perfumes from the edge . . .

Fine fragrances hand made in The Shire
    Quality perfume making ingredients
    Twitter: @PellWallPerfume
    If you are looking for a perfumery consultation Iím happy to quote: if you want free advice, thatís what these forums are for
    You can also join my blog for more info about perfumes and perfumery.

Never thought of it this way. I'll try Rhuboxfix and Cyclamen! Maybe with something cooling to give them some bite (maybe Hexyl Benzoate..)
    Btw, Pamplefleur has that weird green effect which Rhublfix has, so I'll check it as well.

Never thought of Methyl Sal as smelling of Rhubarb, or Grapefruit. And as for Cyclamen Aldehyde? Sorry, don't get that, at all.

I would check Wintergreen's gc-ms profiles for secondary chemicals, and maybe consider natural wintergreen, if it contains other things that last longer. (too lazy/busy to look it up). Sometimes one thing can remind you of another thing if often smelled together. Just ideas, not prescriptions.

Perhaps this is too obvious, but could rectified Birch Tar work for you? I know its main constituent is methyl salicylate, but because of its other molecules and deep and heavy consistancy, it may last longer in your blend than Sweet Birch, wintergreen or straight methyl salicylate.

You mean sweet Birch, right?
    Anyhow, I couldn't find anything relevant in Wintergreen GC, and according to TGSC Ethyl Salicylate is slightly less tenacious.. I tried some Butyl Salicylate instead..

Quote Originally Posted by Nizan View Post
    You mean sweet Birch, right?
    Anyhow, I couldn't find anything relevant in Wintergreen GC, and according to TGSC Ethyl Salicylate is slightly less tenacious.. I tried some Butyl Salicylate instead..
    No, rectified Birch Tar is different than Sweet Birch. It is deep, smoky, phenolic and used in leathery scents, but it is distilled from birch so it has a wintergreen-like component to it. It might help fix and blend well with the methyl salicylate.

See Arctander or TGSC:

http://www.thegoodscentscompany.com/data/es1001911.html

White Lotus Aromatics sells it:
    http://www.whitelotusaromatics.com/p...-essential-oil

Hi Nizan
    You could try methyl 5-methyl salicylate sold by Perfumers World as Petunial Rhodia. It certainly has characteristics of methyl salicylate but doesn't quite have the pungency. It is longer lasting but may not fit your requirements of tenacity.