Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
o
    Blog Entries

Default Burberry London reformulated?

So recently I picked up a back up bottle of Burberry London. I was a bit skeptical because when I held the bottle to the light, I saw pieces of crap floating around in there. I looked at my other bottle in the light and saw the crap too, but not as much. Regardless I sprayed the new bottle on. The port wine note is definitley more pronounced.. there's more of a peppermint smell to it too. Usually London lasts a good 6 hours on me before it's completely off the skin. This time it lasted over a day on me, even after showering. I am very happy to have found this gem was made in Feb of 2006. The box was a little damaged upon arrival, and there is particles floating in the bottle, but hell.. one of my favorite smells lasting all day now.. that's a huge plus.

I know a lot of people think that reformulations of later releases a little after their release is bogus.. but it's not. I think Burberry London was one that underwent an early reformulation. If you get a bottle from the first year it came out (2006) you're quite fortunate.
    "I am not trendy" -Thierry Mugler
    Currently wearing: Roadster by Cartier

Default Re: Burberry London reformulated?

Got a bottle (2012) and have no complaints, and am addicted to the boozy port wine vibe it gives off.. Since I only spray to the chest, can detect it for 6-8 hours. Found when I started using unscented soap and unscented deodorant longevity increased.
    An investment in knowledge pays the best interest

- Benjamin Franklin

I have my bottle from 2006, when it was first released and yes I can attest it is a gem. I have a friend who has a bottle from a few years later, and his is real good as well.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

I have the original release and have smelled what's out there and to my nose I notice no difference.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

I had a 2006 bottle and to my nose the newer stuff has more woods. I also get more of the Burberry pine in the older version. Not a huge difference.

Sent from Richard's Ipad
    Some day's you're the statue and some days you're the pigeon.

Basenotes Plus

I got a 2nd bottle last year after finishing the first (circa 2006). No significant difference as far as I can tell. But I'd better buy a backup as this one gets worn frequently.

used several bottles in a very large time span and the scent remained unchanged!

I know this is an old thread and I did think about starting another thread.

But I'm sure it has been reformulated.
    It's no longer made by inter perfumes and list of ingredients has changed and no longer shows Evernia prunastri (oakmoss).
    I love Burberry London and I can tell that it's been reformulated.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    I have the original release and have smelled what's out there and to my nose I notice no difference.
    Good evening hednic, may I ask, do you have backup bottles of Burberry London as I know it's a favourite of yours and imagine you wear it fairly often (although not as often as Gengis Khan..!)

Quote Originally Posted by Derbyman View Post
    Good evening hednic, may I ask, do you have backup bottles of Burberry London as I know it's a favourite of yours and imagine you wear it fairly often (although not as often as Gengis Khan..!)
    You're right, it is among my very favorites, but only have one large full bottle left. My grandson took whatever surplus I had hanging around.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyv View Post
    I know this is an old thread and I did think about starting another thread.

But I'm sure it has been reformulated.
    It's no longer made by inter perfumes and list of ingredients has changed and no longer shows Evernia prunastri (oakmoss).
    I love Burberry London and I can tell that it's been reformulated.
    This is correct. There is no need to speculate on this one; the ingredients list change proves it was reformulated. I'm surprised this doesn't get mentioned more because London is a frequently recommended fragrance in this forum.

I only have the old formula. Performance is huge and I smell a fair amount of oakmoss so I have to wonder what current bottles smell like.
    Currently wearing: Deep Forest by Bogner

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    You're right, it is among my very favorites, but only have one large full bottle left. My grandson took whatever surplus I had hanging around.
    Thank-you for the reply - good to know your Grandson has inherited your good taste.

Hate the reformulation chat as much as everyone, but is there a general consensus as to when the reformulation occurred? What to do look out for in terms of packaging, bottles etc. I'd imagine it's a lost cause hoping to find pre-reformulation versions of this in physical shops, but the generic stock photo on online wholesalers or re-sellers is blind guesswork.
    "Colourless green ideas sleep furiously."

Quote Originally Posted by slpfrsly View Post
    Hate the reformulation chat as much as everyone, but is there a general consensus as to when the reformulation occurred? What to do look out for in terms of packaging, bottles etc. I'd imagine it's a lost cause hoping to find pre-reformulation versions of this in physical shops, but the generic stock photo on online wholesalers or re-sellers is blind guesswork.
    If you look at my post above, it states that newer releases are no longer made by inter perfumes and oakmoss is missing as an ingredient listed on the rear of the box.

Finding a 2006 bottle would be pretty difficult for sure. Current stuff is quite good but like Brit doesn't last for more than 5 hours but that's not bad these days...considering.

As for interparfums, i've yet to find a fragrance made by them that lasts all day.

Quote Originally Posted by Foamywax View Post
    As for interparfums, i've yet to find a fragrance made by them that lasts all day.
    I have no problems with longevity with my inter parfum bottles of London.

Finding a 2006 bottle would be pretty difficult for sure. Current stuff is quite good but like Brit doesn't last for more than 5 hours but that's not bad these days...considering.
    I think it's nose fatigue - I get this a lot with London.

Finding a 2006 bottle would be pretty difficult for sure.
    As long as it's made by inter perfumes and ingredients list shows oakmoss then that's the original formulation.
    I've just bought another bottle to add to my collection.

Performance was always terrible for me. Had to sell my bottle. Great scent none the less.
    Current top 5 Fragrances

1. Royal Vintage by M. Micallef
    2. Bois Du Portugal by Creed
    3. Vespero by Jeroboam
    4. Masculin Pluriel by MFK
    5. Nobile by Gucci

"It ain't about how hard you hit:It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. It's about how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done." Rocky Balboa

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyv View Post
    If you look at my post above, it states that newer releases are no longer made by inter perfumes and oakmoss is missing as an ingredient listed on the rear of the box.
    Yes, thanks, but I'm asking when this happened. Good to know that the box and maker are good signs, but unfortunately no wholeseller I can see mentions or displays either of these. If the box is missing on used bottles, then are there also ways of showing when it was reformulated, and whether it might be pre-reform etc.?

Yes, thanks, but I'm asking when this happened. Good to know that the box and maker are good signs, but unfortunately no wholeseller I can see mentions or displays either of these. If the box is missing on used bottles, then are there also ways of showing when it was reformulated, and whether it might be pre-reform etc.?
    I'd just check ebay regularly.
    Ask seller to check list of ingredients.
    As I mentioned earlier, I've just bought another bottle off eBay.

So any idea of the year? 2013? Before? After?

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DudeLebowski View Post
    Performance was always terrible for me. Had to sell my bottle. Great scent none the less.
    Same here.

Freed from BN Institution

It always had moderate performance since first smelling it nearly 10 years ago.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Woto by Deviline

Quote Originally Posted by DudeLebowski View Post
    Performance was always terrible for me.
    Interesting. My experience was the opposite. Always had good performance with this.

So any idea of the year? 2013? Before? After?
    I have no idea. but if your asking a seller for a batch code, you may as well ask for a pic of the back of the box and see if its made by inter perfums and contains Evernia prunastri (oakmoss)

ive just searched ebay for images of ingredients list on back of box and found some inter perfumes version that don't have Evernia Prunastri listed as an ingredient.

It's definitely been reforumulated and the oak moss stripped out. A few years ago, I bought a backup tester with Oak Moss listed on the box for around $20. That said, I've never had good longevity with any version so I use around 10 sprays per wearing.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Quote Originally Posted by manicboy View Post
    It's definitely been reforumulated and the oak moss stripped out. A few years ago, I bought a backup tester with Oak Moss listed on the box for around $20. That said, I've never had good longevity with any version so I use around 10 sprays per wearing.
    i have a 2006 tester and 10 sprays will choke me, i use 2 sprays is perfectly fine and last all day, this is very well blended cologne with amazing drydown.
    1976 - Yatagan Caron
    1977 - Snuff by Schiaparelli
    1981 - Kouros YSL
    1988 - Fahrenheit Dior
    1980 - Patou Pour Homme
    1987 - Lapidus Pour Homme
    1981 - Quorum Antonio Puig
    1993 - Insense by Givenchy
    2014 - Dior Homme Parfum
    1987 - Ho Hang Club Balenciaga