Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 386 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 102 ... LastLast

Yes, MrP, the Bloom is definitely mild compared to the Hindi oils I have. The mustiness I smell could be the tobacco note. I think I need another testing on cleaner skin. Might as finish off my sample when I do to get the full effect.

MrP

The Ham Firl "Royal Borneo" has that tobacco note in a very strong way. So much so that I half think it is in fact mixed with tobacco absolute (which I have a small vial of, and which blends very well with oud). Can't be sure though.

Given Ham Firl's 'reputation' it sounds entirely possible, MrP.

Hmm, tobacco absolute and oud huh? Just thinking...

no other oud smells like gas on my skin....the thai has more of a piney note.....although it is kinda sharp...it dosent turn like the borneo does....I had sheikhs borneo...and it did the exact same thing on me....and that is supposed to be really smooth. on my sweatshirt its like I have a totally different scent on...the borneo bloom is creamy and nice even hours after applying.

you know what I find odd is the different opening notes of different cambodhi's I only have 4 cambodhi's...Taha;'s atteq and calambac....both open way different...the calambac has like a smooth dark chocolate note....and I have 2 ASAQs matak and aged and smoked......the aged smoked is pungent almost like a hindi....where Tahas are tame......yet the aged ASAQ is smooth opening almost like a borneo......

divinemama, Burmese Kinam has actually never been offered on Oriscent's website, though some members have been able to source it directly from Ensar ...

now neither of the ASAQ;s show up on my skin...its like I put nothing on....but on cloth the aged smoked cambodhi goes from that strong fecal note....to that typical cambodhi drydown over the course of like 20 hours....its like all pungent at first....but every hour the pungent slowly burns off and the cambodhi note slowly comes through.....its not as complex as an oriscent or Tahas....but its my favorite from a big house so far.....(I havent tried thaqeel or kalakassi yet...anyone want to donate me a sample I will love one!!!) Now I know thats weird I have ASAQ aged and ASAQ aged and smoked.....the one thats just aged is so tame...its just a smooth woody smell kinda linear all the way....I have to spend some more time with it before I can be specific....but I was figuring the 2 would be close in smell...yet they are nothing alike.

the aged smoked is actually pretty good if you dont mind waiting 12 hours on cloth for soem tranformation

MrP

I have smelled two irian jaya oils - both from UNS and both almost identical. Sweet, nutmeg, slight mothball, some pepperyness. Can anyone comment on Irian Jaya oils in general? I know we are talking about Papua NG, but my other oils from that island are much different - Purple Nurple, Green Papua, a couple of Merauke oils.

The UNS Irian Jayas have a little of the Green Papua pepper, a little of the Merauke mud, but are so fuzzy - like many notes altogether, nothing particular standing oud. Almost wonder if it's a blended oud combining a few different distillations.

MrP, was the Ham Firl's oud with a tabacco note his Royal Oud or did he use to have a "Royal Borneo" too? Your description of the tabacco element sounds very much like his Royal Oud, and it was a pretty stong, almost mineral-like. It also had a bit of Merauke character to it.

Divinemama- My notes say that I got an oily note (in addition to apples, almonds, spices, burnt chickpeas, flowers, smoke, "menthol" and leather) in Taha's Thai, but not gasoline.

Another BN'er was kind enough to give me a sample of his Burmese Kinam. I'd be very appreciative if somebody could describe the characteristics that are common to Burmese oils. Abubakr wrote that he got a fecal/used coffee ground/nutty/seedy note- are those notes typical of Burmese oils?

ha Igor I was thinking the same thing but didnt say anything cuz I am not as experienced as you guys...but someone gave me some oud royal I think it is or royal malay from ham firl...and it sounded exactly like he described....strong tobacco note.

WOW bluemoon you have one complex sniffer!!! burnt chick peas!!! now I am going to go upstaris and break out a can and fry em!

MrP

I think know what she means - it is a kind of cooked seed note - something dry, edgy - I got something like that in Oudhasi's Green Gaharu. Not sure how that Thai oil smells, but to me it is a very undesirable note if it is too dominant in oud oils. What is cool about your reviews, Bluemoon, is that you try to peg your descriptions to something we have a shared experience in - concrete, specific smells. Even if those references aren't exact, they can be discussed in a meaningful way.

Thanks, MrP, but I'm becoming more and more leery of writing "reviews" and descriptions. In addition to being uncomfortable with the thought that someone might purchase something based on a positive review and then not like it, it seems clear that people perceive scents (as well as other sensory stimulants) very differently. And, I can smell the same oil a week apart and I pick up notes I didn't before, or can't smell something I was sure was obvious the last time . My jottings on Taha's Thai were from 9/09. I really wonder if I'd smell the same notes today. Maybe the oil has developed, maybe the oils I've smelled in the intervening months have affected my perceptions, perhaps my body chemistry is altered etc. I guess the complexity and changeability of these oils is part of what makes them so fascinating, but sometimes it's frustrating, too.

Do people in UAE wear single origin ouds like Oriscents? Are there people there who make quality oud like that, and sell it there? or does everyone wear ASAQ Ajmal AO? I feel some of those ajmals and ASAQs smell pretty good...but not $200 good.....for $200 single origin ouds are much more interesting and complex. most of Ajmals and ASAQs, although they smell ok are very linear.

Bluemoon....your reviews are great! If no one had any idea what something smelled like they wouldnt buy it....you help people at least get a suggestion of what to expect in the oud....every scent smells different on everyone....you do a great job! it is much appreciated!

I appreciate bluemoon, and everyone else descriptions of oud for that matter, because I am new to oud and need to develop some vocabulary to describe what I am smelling. Something other than it smells good or it smells bad. Granted bluemoon's writing is especially poetic.

I would hope we all know better than to buy an oud based solely on the opinion on another person, so please keep writing your thoughts, bluemoon. I think you are correct that we perceive scents differently and certainly our skin brings out different nuances in each oil. Time of year, our age, etc all factor in to how a scent smells on our skin on a given day.

Thanks for the info on Burmese Kinam, Abdul_Qa'im.

Blue: I have bought many oils because of your descriptions. I have not once been disappointed. Your ability to appreciate and then describe a fragrance so eloquently is not a common one. If you stop we will all definately loose, so dont.

Devinemamma your mailbox is full

wog, thanks...there should be room now.

Thanks very much everyone.

I'd like to extend a belated and heartfelt thanks to Abdul Qa'im and MrP for your efforts to keep things focused and for expressing sentiments I didn't take the initiative to say myself, but wanted to.

MrP- thank you especially for starting this thread. It feels like coming home :-)

A couple of people asked about the Bloom here, and I got some emails about the new custom-distillation as well.
    I don't want to comment in any way about what I sell, or intend to sell, but if Taz pops in, maybe he could share some info with y'all.
    He's smelled a $45 per quarter-tola sample of a Malinau oil from the same distiller. So you (and I!) might be interested in what he might think a $2xx per quarter-tola bottle would smell like, given what the $45 one was like.

Taz...? ; )

MrP

Taha - please PM me any info on this stuff if you would be so kind.

Sorry this site is so restrictive.

Ohhh, one more thing. Taz has smelled my Borneo (and other Indo) samples from various regions (and sub-regions, e.g. various sub-regions within Tarakan). I hope he can share his thoughts with all of us here, as I really think we are for the most part lacking in experience when it comes to Borneos. We (mostly) just know Far-Eastern and East Kalimantan Borneos, thanks to UNS and Oriscent.

In particular, there was a southern Central Kalimantan oil which I hope he remembers, and I'm sure it was a surprise for Taz just as it was for me when I first smelled it. Lots of herbs, vetiver, patchouli...... TOBACCO. Yep.
    I emphasized tobacco in particular because it was mentioned a few pages back. It's only the Borneos from the more northern regions that are ethereal, turpy, menthol-y, etc - for the most part.
    The Bloom is not a north Borneo oil, and certainly has its fair share of herby notes........ including tobacco.

Ahh, and one more thing - OudLine's 'Malinau' is actually not Malinau. He was out of his Malinau oil a while back, and I think only Marian and I got to smell it.
    The distillation after that was actually a 'Kalimantan' oil (and not specifically Malinau - my guess would be around the Berau or Tanjung Selor areas), and you might find a lot of similarities between it and my Bloom.

The Oudline bottle I got was around the time frame that Bluemoon told me about it. It has really smoothed out over the months. They said it was a young oil and that this would happen. So, Taha, you are saying that the original oil was a Malinau and the one we likely got is a Kalimantan?
    BTW, very nice to be home. I have to admit I fueled the Montale fires figuring it was better to participate in some oud discussion than go cold turkey. :-) This is comfortable, this is the Majlis.

Interesting that the only oil that has ever crystallized/turned waxy for me is Amit's DS Hindi. I have an earlier distillation than Bluemoon though. After the original bottle leaked, the remaining 1ml or so instantly turned waxy and stays that way even in warm temperatures. The replacement bottle is mostly liquid but there is some waxy residue at the top and this is in any temperature also but gets worse in the cold. I don't really understand this.
    Otherwise, I have never experienced this with any other oil at any other price point.

Taha, you are making my mouth water talking about all the different Indo oils. I didn't even know these existed until you mentioned the different regions.

Here's a weird one - has anybody else experienced "phantom oud smells"? Kinda like "phantom pain" from amputated limbs (speaking hypothetically, all my limbs are intact), in short - a sensation that shouldn't be there since I'm not wearing any oud at the time, on my skin or clothes. This is how it works - sometimes when I am not wearning any ould (but jonesing to) something triggers a recognition process in my brain and I can swear I am smelling a particularly enticing aspect of an oil I am dying to smell! It doesn't last long but I get a few bursts of almost photorealistic sensation of say "just applied Thaqeel and went outside" experience. Should I get my head examined?

I must say, I enjoy the northern "etherial" borneos (good word, Taha), but I love the earthiness and juicy generosity of the southerns. They are just *fecund* as Indos go. I often associate the indos with dryness, but my favorites are *wet*, not so much in terms of sweetness or lack thereof, but the actual feeling in the nose and sinuses. There is a Kalimantan sample I got from Agarscents which I thought was just terrific, for the price. Full of earth, herbs, dried fruit and tobacco. But he ran out!

Igor01 -- It is funny you mention that, I was just considering posting something exactly like that. I was going to compare it to "phantom vibrations" from a cellphone. Last thursday I kept picking up the more leathery, varnishy openings of certain ouds. Granted, I could have just been near leather and varnish, but I checked, and was not. I wish I was getting free shots of Thaqeel like you though! Not Tequila, Thaqeela! I have definitely felt at times that oud enters our subconcious in ways that resonate randomly with odd sensual inputs and wake us up a little. Sort of like when you are reading something and listening to something else on the radio, and you hear the same unusual word spoken on the radio at the *exact* time you read it on the page.

Taha: Why do you guess the 2nd Oudline Malinau was from Berau or Tanjung Selor? What makes those oils smell different than oils to the northwest of Berau and TS?

MrP

Taha - I smelled the early sample, and have some of their more recent stuff (Nov.) and less recent (August), and they are very similar. When do you think the switchover occurred? I ordered from them twice - over a month apart - and specifically asked about the oil and they said the batch was the same. If you got your oil prior to this past August though, that might be a different story.

I will email them and ask for their info. on that oil because I dig it, dig it, dig it and want to know what's up for sure! I will share what Mr. Chowdhury tells me here when I hear back from him.

Page 2 of 386 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 102 ... LastLast