Code of Conduct
Page 66 of 66 FirstFirst ... 16 56 64 65 66
Results 1,951 to 1,980 of 1980

Default Re: What Oud/Mukhallat are you wearing today?

It is good to be close to the source of such good saffron.

Quote Originally Posted by Rai Munir View Post
    I found it highly functional to macerate Saffron, Musk, Ambergris separately in Mysore Santal, and then use those maceration oils in different ratios to make blends.
    That is good practice. Makes it easier to blend and to anticipate the blend dynamics.

Basenotes Member

Quote Originally Posted by powdernose View Post
    It is good to be close to the source of such good saffron.

That is good practice. Makes it easier to blend and to anticipate the blend dynamics.
    YOU GOT ME. Exactly this is I wanted to say. It leads me to ingredients to be blended. I don't believe in mechanical formulae.

- - - Updated - - -

Oud Shams by Habz Oud: Exceptional life span, longevity. Beautiful Walla Patta vibes. Sweet and pungent aromatic wafts kept caressing olfactory. The oudy-ness is very much strong.

AgarAura’s Mardelong for me today. This oil keeps getting better and better with every use. No tutti fruity business as many oils are dominant with all fruity notes and no actual Oud notes. Thai oil done extremely right!

Wore a bit of EO Aroha Kyaku earlier today. And now after a shower- Sultan Pasha Equilibre. My goodness it’s so amazing.

I got a vial sample of Srilankan dehnal oud from a shop called shams al oudh Bangalore India, greeen minty note, A fantastic note

Basenotes Member

Musk Maceration: God be praised! The moarch of monarks- Musk. Two years old maceration it is. Kashmiri Musk grains in IO's Mysuru Santal 2002.

- - - Updated - - -

Tigerwood by EO & Malay Oud Blend: I was fed up with the sweet camphor Tigerwood after wearing it for two years. So, blended a pungent oudy Malay Oud oil acquired from a private distiller.

Malaya by Agar Aura - absolutely superb
    How is your TO and malay oud blend respected @Rai Munir ?

Basenotes Member

Quote Originally Posted by joe king View Post
    Malaya by Agar Aura - absolutely superb
    How is your TO and malay oud blend respected @Rai Munir ?
    I successfully repressed TO's lasting cloyed nature, which I loved years back. After blending the oil having sharp oudy flare, it is a different oil now. TO's quality is above doubt. But I am no more inclined towards tamed and perfume like Oud oils.

It is fourth month since I blending the both. By the way, I have another blend in which I mixed Archipelago, Green Papua, Tigerwood and Malay oil. Let's see what would be the result. But I am hopeful as I have already experimented a lot with these first three oils.

Malay by AA has been appreciated a lot.

Basenotes Member

AA malaya is terrific. esp for the price. not inepensive but it offers plenty of oomph and wow and bang for the buck.

of the most recent ones kirana and hulubalang offer a good QPR too and are pleasent oils. a study of gold/amber/yellow accord (almost vietnam) vs a darker herbal, spicy, cola nut, incensy gree hulubalang.

royal jerai while plenty unique and attractive up front (super zesty, and acidic red fruits; strawberry short cake) lacks the oomps of malaya for more or less a same priced oil. perhaps as the oil settles it gains more base but malaya at a simialr stage was showing more already and my spidy senses tell me this oil wont go where malaya has gone.

on a side note, the royal maluku seram has put on a bit more weight and shed some of it sharper young top notes. it is a much better oil and that orris butter and irisi absolute note is intoxicating. i live for this scent so the oil is considered a good buy for me, but otherwise i think most will not be enamored (considering the price) with the seram.

- - - Updated - - -

I have been on a major incense and agarwood kick so much so that even the few oils I have put on here and there have been like wearing a scent. A cologne. Something you wear. Is pleasant no doubt. They calm the mind or excite the mind but not the way an amazing wood on the right temp or that perfectly made incense steals your soul and leaves you at awe.

Came out Kyara Ltd 2.0.
    If this is oud then what is all else? If everything else is oud then what is this? Serious. I am dead serious.

It is oils like this that pull me back in and remind me that regardless of how awesome the wood or incense get, it is oils like this that are at the very top of the olfactory experience.

I can’t be bothered to give you a play by play. What I have written before stands. The hainan note but dressed In a red robe is particularly attractive this evening.

May you be ready when you meet this nectar of the gods.

Basenotes Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rasoul salehi View Post

I have been on a major incense and agarwood kick so much so that even the few oils I have put on here and there have been like wearing a scent. A cologne. Something you wear. Is pleasant no doubt. They calm the mind or excite the mind but not the way an amazing wood on the right temp or that perfectly made incense steals your soul and leaves you at awe.
    True, respected Rasoul. The gap between an Oud oil and Oudwood is, to certain extent, unbridgeable. Nowadays, I simply prefer heating wood and incense to wearing Oud oils, especially the ones released in 2018, 2019.

Now you yourself would have experienced that incense cones, only Oudwood or Sandalwood heating makes one love and live the fragrant mystery. I had always been saying wood/ incense precedes oil, in every sense.

Basenotes Plus

Agarwood Assam Afsana.

Fruits (berries), flowers in the opening and the oud isn't ashamed of itself either.

Basenotes Member

Oud Wanmak by Ripe Oud: Cambodi
    Oud Shinrin by Ripe Oud: Malay

Wanamak's colour itself is Cambodi, and the profile is very interesting in a sense first I thought it might be a Hindi- a clean Hindi- but after a few minutes tobacco-y sweetness coupled with silage emerged. A balanced projection of notes is there. Having worn it twice, I feel longevity is less, but I cannot help sniffing Musk. Someday I will wear only Wanmak.

Shinrin's colour is greenish. Beautiful! Fragrance is green bamboo and a sweet tinge of cola. Walla Patta pungency is there.

For one and a half years, I have been trying hard to experience Oud Novas, stars, planets, etc. other than some artisanal Oud planets. Acquired high priced and low price oils. These Wanmak and Shinrin are low priced. But not of low quality. A bad habit I have developed that I pulled off the tags from all the bottles I acquired in the past, decanted the oils in different bottles too. Now I realize that mostly the scent I smelt was not of the wood but of cents. Poor me! It is the most cruel way of learning- pure and authentic- where there are no external agents to influence.

- - - Updated - - -

Wanmak & Shinrin
    Ripe Oud.jpg

Thank you for introducing this Sir. Finally, oud oils that i could afford to try...

Any link to ripe oud’s store? Thanks.

Basenotes Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.P View Post
    Any link to ripe oud’s store? Thanks.
    You're welcome, Sir.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/RipeOud?re...op-info-avatar

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by bobm View Post
    Thank you for introducing this Sir. Finally, oud oils that i could afford to try...
    You can try another seller 'pureoud', especially his Sweet Trat.
    https://www.pureoudh.com/shop/oils/p...ml-sweet-trat/

★★★★★

For one and a half years, I have been trying hard to experience Oud Novas, stars, planets, etc. other than some artisanal Oud planets. Acquired high priced and low price oils. Now I realize that mostly the scent I smelt was not of the wood but of cents.
    What parameters do you use to differentiate quality of high priced and low priced oils, and scents of wood from cents?

Basenotes Member

Quote Originally Posted by PEARL View Post
    What parameters do you use to differentiate quality of high priced and low priced oils, and scents of wood from cents?
    Respected PEARL
    Parameter by definition must be objective. So far as scent goes, 99.99 per cent, it is subjective. For example, I never found any Oud musky while a lot of oils are having musky notes as per the wearers. How does a wearer judge an oil? Reviews of different wearers, both veterans and newbies, can be consulted. Of course, generally we read 'projection, longevity, DNA, profile, tone, silage, smooth, clean, aquatic, pungent, chip heating, addictive, psychedelic etc., etc.'. I myself am no exception.

To be plain, after a blind test activity, I am no more into the sphere of low price and high price anymore. That very test brushed away gorgeous veils of cents that appear to be the wafts of scent to 'ME'. Of and on, I do exercise 'blind test'. The more I indulge into this testing, the more I feel the costlier oils smell sweet to me some years before.

How can I say Kyara LTD smells average? I can't. Ample amount is into that liquid. Why should I hesitate to say Kalanam Islay is not that much good? I won't. Petty amount is into the bottle.

This is what I observe in 'me'. What other respected persons feel is to be honoured and respected. But, I have brought a sort of paradigm shift in me regarding evaluating any oils.

★★★★★

@Rai Munir, oud oil becomes musky when frame of reference is another said to be musky oud oil, rather than musk grain or musk maceration. That, or faulty note extrapolation by eliminating known referred notes, then unknown note must be musk note because so and so said oud oil has musk note. Likewise with claimed orris butter note, kynam note, cummingiana note, etc when one lacks experience with those notes isolated; strange phenomenon.

Oud experience is subjective and shared. Some sought to objectify, IMO to dictate where those incapable of experiencing possess immature, untrained nose. Honored, respected opinion and one’s experience becomes misleading when incongruent with the objective; another strange phenomenon.

In short, what’s for you is for you. Respect.

Basenotes Member

Yes, respected PEARL, experiences are subjective and shared. This is what I said. Even then, kynam note does make sense to me, but 'musky', no way. whatever the reference is. Second, I am against deconstruction of Oud; I mean I avoid doing it. Again I said 'I'.

Respect and peace!

@Rai Munir, oud oil becomes musky when frame of reference is another said to be musky oud oil, rather than musk grain or musk maceration. That, or faulty note extrapolation by eliminating known referred notes, then unknown note must be musk note because so and so said oud oil has musk note. Likewise with claimed orris butter note, kynam note, cummingiana note, etc when one lacks experience with those notes isolated; strange phenomenon.

Oud experience is subjective and shared. Some sought to objectify, IMO to dictate where those incapable of experiencing possess immature, untrained nose. Honored, respected opinion and one’s experience becomes misleading when incongruent with the objective; another strange phenomenon.

In short, what’s for you is for you. Respect.
    - - - Updated - - -

Holy Attar by Tyson: What Santal is there in this attar!!! Frangipani itself is a complete entity. Though a bit sweet because of high quality white Ambergris, but the effect of the synergy is elevating and lasting.

Respected PEARL
    Parameter by definition must be objective. So far as scent goes, 99.99 per cent, it is subjective. For example, I never found any Oud musky while a lot of oils are having musky notes as per the wearers. How does a wearer judge an oil? Reviews of different wearers, both veterans and newbies, can be consulted. Of course, generally we read 'projection, longevity, DNA, profile, tone, silage, smooth, clean, aquatic, pungent, chip heating, addictive, psychedelic etc., etc.'. I myself am no exception.

To be plain, after a blind test activity, I am no more into the sphere of low price and high price anymore. That very test brushed away gorgeous veils of cents that appear to be the wafts of scent to 'ME'. Of and on, I do exercise 'blind test'. The more I indulge into this testing, the more I feel the costlier oils smell sweet to me some years before.

How can I say Kyara LTD smells average? I can't. Ample amount is into that liquid. Why should I hesitate to say Kalanam Islay is not that much good? I won't. Petty amount is into the bottle.

This is what I observe in 'me'. What other respected persons feel is to be honoured and respected. But, I have brought a sort of paradigm shift in me regarding evaluating any oils.
    There are few trials as challenging as confronting one's own perceptions.
    Thank you for informing us of where this has lead your own scent journey.
    Respect.

Basenotes Member

Credit goes to you, Sir. Well, that was a kind of deliverance from the illusions created by my own self.

Do you have any plan to initiate another exercise of that kind, if the Forum and the community allow?
    Quote Originally Posted by powdernose View Post
    There are few trials as challenging as confronting one's own perceptions.
    Thank you for informing us of where this has lead your own scent journey.
    Respect.

Credit goes to you, Sir. Well, that was a kind of deliverance from the illusions created by my own self.

Do you have any plan to initiate another exercise of that kind, if the Forum and the community allow?
    If there are enough sponsors about, yes, I may tackle it again.

★★★★★

Yes, respected PEARL, experiences are subjective and shared. Second, I am against deconstruction of Oud; I mean I avoid doing it. Again I said 'I'.
    Agreed and agree. Respectably shared, equally weighted.

Basenotes Member

Agreed and agree. Respectably shared, equally weighted.
    I am anxiously waiting for your take on Ultima series by IO and new oils by AA. And of course, respected Ammar's as well.

Respected PEARL, if you have tried EO's agarwood chunks, please share.

Thank you very much.

- - - Updated - - -

Incense: Musk Grains, Ambergris, Persian Saffron, Spikenard, Santal Oil, Mastic Gum

First Session: An aluminium foil on the coal, and placed the six-month old divine paste on the foil, and sprinkled Mysore Santal powder around that.
    Divine 2.jpg

Second Session: Poured the paste on the coal to fully bask in the aromatic ripples.
    Divine_3.jpg

I kept the ingredients in a jar for six months after grinding them. I ground them only once. Though it is suggested grinding is to be done continuously. But I experimented to know about the effect of time. Yes, time plays a vital role. Of course, quality ingredients are the nucleus.
    Last edited by Rai Munir; 15th May 2019 at 07:12 PM.

Basenotes Member

White Rose Otto: Beautiful scent! Rosey shine and elegant freshness cannot be found anywhere other than Rose Otto.

- - - Updated - - -

Borneo Oud, Musk Maceration Oil, Rose Taif, Mysore Santal Saffron Maceration Oil: A sort of blend it is.

Basenotes Institution

Currently I am in a tiny sample (that was gifted to me when I placed my last order of Frankincense oil) of:

2017 Canton - Rare Chinese Guangdong Sinensis Oud Oil by Rising Phoenix Perfume

I am not that familiar with this region/type of oud. I assume some of you are?

Here is his description from his site:

Be prepared for an interesting ride!

Canton opens Bitter, Tea-like, and Medicinal in the most pleasant of fashions.

Shortly after application, the oil develops into the scent of an ancient Chinese tea house - the scent of old wooden beams, lacquered tea ware, and aged tea leaves - wafts of exotic flowers and a hint of medicinal herbs and citrus hide in the background.

As Canton develops a little further, it gets more citrusy - like Aged Chen Pi (a traditionally prepared medicinal Tangerine Peel) and dry aged tea leaves. Hints of Oud Wood begin to peek through.

Moving towards Dry Down, the scent of Oud wood and a dry, lacquered citrus peel take center stage. It's quite interesting, and I'm sure your wrist will be attached to your nose as the oil continues to develop, morph, and shift - more citrusy one moment, more dry Oud wood and lacquer the next. Hints of coastal salty sea air and furry musk can be detected.

Canton is superbly easy to wear. It is a "China Market" type of oil - zero barnyard.
    Tea-like.
    Citrusy.
    Medicinal hints.
    Lacquered wood.
    Oudy.
    And most importantly - complex, interesting, and easy to wear.

Quantity is limited - add 2017 Canton to your collection while you can!
    "When you become comfortable with uncertainty. infinite possibilities open up in your life"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Basenotes Member

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Currently I am in a tiny sample (that was gifted to me when I placed my last order of Frankincense oil) of:

2017 Canton - Rare Chinese Guangdong Sinensis Oud Oil by Rising Phoenix Perfume

I am not that familiar with this region/type of oud. I assume some of you are?

Here is his description from his site:
    Did you find the notes mentioned in the description, especially 'citrusy'?
    The notes mentioned are:
    Tea-like.
    Citrusy.
    Medicinal hints.
    Lacquered wood.
    Oudy.

Basenotes Institution

Did you find the notes mentioned in the description, especially 'citrusy'?
    The notes mentioned are:
    Tea-like.
    Citrusy.
    Medicinal hints.
    Lacquered wood.
    Oudy.
    I wore it, two swipes on my beard - not on skin.

I found it very medicinal. Def' has that lacquered wood scent.

I wouldn't call it citrusy, but then again I've always struggled with smelling oud oil and interpreting 'citrus' from them...when others say them smell it, all I smell is 'oud'. So I am still a newcomer when it comes to oud notes breakdown.

I do like it. I would buy a full bottle if I could afford it. At least now I know that I really enjoy Chinese oud.

The Maroke Noir is Malaysian and this is Chinese. I think the other oud that I can put in the classification is the Fragrant Harbour Supreme by Imperial Oud. That one is Chinese...with it's multi-vitamin-pill-sort-of-smell that haunted me.
    "When you become comfortable with uncertainty. infinite possibilities open up in your life"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Basenotes Member

Oud Hindi: The most fascinating tone of Oud for me.

Basenotes Institution

Oud Sultani 1990 by Ensar Oud (from a sample, a gift from a BN buddy)

Yep. Def' has a Maroke vibe to it. I love it. What a shame that this is all gone...

-- Eckhart Tolle