Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Junkie

Default Specific Gravity of EOs, Absolutes, etc?

I am currently working on diluting my aroma materials (all naturals so far) into 10% dilutions as has been suggested many times by the more experienced here. Being the anal-ytical type that I am ;-) I want to know just how much I can get into each bottle. So, I know that my 95% ethanol has a specific gravity of 0.8005, and I've been assuming that my aromatics will have a specific gravity at least that high. That means I can divide the volume of the bottle (30 ml, say) by SG of vodka (.8005) and get the mass of ethanol that will fit. If I then put 1/10th that much (by weight) aromatic material in, and 9/10ths vodka, it should fit. But, if any of the aroma materials have a lower specific gravity than ethanol, I'll overfill the bottle and make a mess.

I have done some research that indicates that most EOs are probably in the range of 8.4 to over 1.2, but it's hard to find a list or table of this kind of info, and going through TGSC one by one would take forever.

So, question to professionals or anyone else who knows: Are there many aroma materials that have a specific gravity lower than 95% ethanol? Especially naturals?

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by Toujours Mink; 15th March 2015 at 12:31 AM. Reason: add info

Default Re: Specific Gravity of EOs, Absolutes, etc?

There is a simpler answer. If youíre filling a 30ml bottle, assume that it will contain a total weight of 24g - 2.4g of aromatic and the rest ethanol - Iíve done this with hundreds of materials and never overfilled a bottle.

To your direct question though, the very light citrus oils have a low specific gravity but even they are higher than ethanol: I canít think of any natural off-hand that has a lower specific gravity.
    ďBattle cries and champagne just in time for sunrise.
    ― David Bowie
    Chris Bartlett
    Perfumes from the edge . . .

Fine fragrances hand made in The Shire
    Quality perfume making ingredients
    Twitter: @PellWallPerfume
    If you are looking for a perfumery consultation Iím happy to quote: if you want free advice, thatís what these forums are for
    You can also join my blog for more info about perfumes and perfumery.

Basenotes Junkie

Chris, thanks. That's what I had been doing, I just wasn't sure how reliable it was. Now I'm sure! I appreciate the help!

I don't know if this is relevant, but I'm in the process of weighing drops of aroma chemicals and naturals. The size of the drops is, of course, variable and I want to find out what each drop weighs---information that might be helpful once you count the number of drops in a milliliter (I have a 1 ml. volumetric flask for this). I have a scale that weighs to the milligram. I'm weighing 10 drops at a time, since weighing a drop would be difficult for the scale.

Why do people insist on making things so complicated? Buy a weighing machine, work in weights, not volume. Simples.

Fill each size of clean bottle with only ethanol and weigh it first. Then you know how much it fits in by weight and not volume.
    The PONK club - gymnosium for perfumers (NOTE:- All club matters still on hold whilst I care for my dad now.)

Twitter - @PonkClub for regular twitter updates

My Tincture list

A perfumed life - Tinctures, perfumes, cordials, wines and ingredients
    Currently wearing: Charisma by Avon

Mumsy, do you mean to add a specific amount of alcohol (with the weight determined) and then add the absolutes/essential oils?

Quote Originally Posted by James Peterson View Post
    Mumsy, do you mean to add a specific amount of alcohol (with the weight determined) and then add the absolutes/essential oils?
    Nope... Nothing so complex.... I mean pour it in (the ethanol), weigh it, determine your space availability in that particular bottle by weight, and then tip it out again. Then you know exactly how much of whatever percent you are making will fit in that particular bottle. Unscientific, but it does the jobbie.
    The PONK club - gymnosium for perfumers (NOTE:- All club matters still on hold whilst I care for my dad now.)

Twitter - @PonkClub for regular twitter updates

My Tincture list

A perfumed life - Tinctures, perfumes, cordials, wines and ingredients
    Currently wearing: Charisma by Avon