Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Domenico Caraceni 1913...is this classed as niche ?

It's strange that I have never come across this fragrance. Is it niche or an old classic barber shop style fragrance ?
    Looking at the bottle it's difficult to categorise it...
    Is it only sold in elite/ niche style perfumeries ?

Thanks for your help.
    RARE PERFUME DECANTS - FACEBOOK (closed group) - Hundreds of ultra rare extraits available, including Djedi and Nombre Noir.

Default Re: Domenico Caraceni 1913...is this classed as niche ?

I can't categorize it either ,but afaik it's available in some quite common perfumeries in Italy (though disontinued.). It's not that kind of barbershop fragrance like Pinaud Clubman, Sartorial or Rive Gauche pour homme. It's a very masculine nice rose scent.
    "Le parfum est la musique du corps" (Marcel Rochas)

Signature: Dior Sauvage (Francois Demachy,2015)

Rochas Macassar (Nicolas Mamounas/Roger Pellegrino,1980)
    Bleu de Chanel Eau de Parfum (Jaques Polge, 2014)
    Guy Laroche Drakkar Noir [vintage] (Pierre Wargnye,1982)
    Aventus by Creed (Olivier Creed/Erwin Creed,2010)
    Armani Code Special Blend (2015)
    Armani Code/Black Code (Antoine Maisondieu/Antoine Lie,2004)
    YSL La Nuit de l'homme (Anne Flipo/Pierre Wargnye/Dominique Ropion,2009)

I'd say low distribution niche outside of Italy. I'm still looking for this one; it was supposed to be reissued this year, but nothing as of yet.
    Hi, I'm William | My Swap Thread | My Sales Thread

An old & dear friend of mine loves this.
    He acquired a few bottles that he cherishes.
    for swap/sale:

Also hoping that the rumours of DC1913 being reissued this year prove to be true...
    We're all in the same game; just different levels. Dealing with the same hell; just different devils.

My swap list

Quote Originally Posted by morrison74 View Post
    Also hoping that the rumours of DC1913 being reissued this year prove to be true...
    Hopefully they don't mess up like most companies do with a re-issue...I've smelt this only with a sample / decant few yrs back, would love to get my hands on a bottle.

Why are you interested in how it should be classified? It's distribution was indeed very niche-like yet Domenico Caraceni is a designer of sorts. Go figure.

Absolutely fantastic fragrance, one of my most treasured bottles. It's rose and honeyed tobacco fragrance with green bitter geranium running through it. Rose is deeper and more satisfying than anywhere, as is the geranium. It's not all about superb ingredients, blending is also very convincing. The fragrance as a whole is not powdery, but it has the most delicate talc note I've ever smelled. This gives that barbershop touch. It's evocative fragrance and so very Italian, it creates a mental image of a gentleman of the Belle Epoque walking out of the barbershop. Interestingly, the name of this fragrance happens to be the last year of the Belle Epoque and Domenico Caraceni creates finest bespoke suits, something I imagine this gentleman would be wearing. Not often does fragrance create such strong and fitting associations, here nothing is out of place or random.
    Last edited by Johnny_Ludlow; 19th March 2015 at 06:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Ludlow View Post
    Why are you interested in how it should be classified? It's distribution was indeee very niche-like yet Domenico Caraceni is a designer of sorts. Go figure.

Absolutely fantastic fragrance, one of my most treasured bottles. It's rose and honeyed tobacco fragrance with green bitter geranium running through it. Rose is deeper and more satisfying than anywhere, as is the geranium. It's not all about superb ingredients, blending is also very convincing. The fragrance as a whole is not powdery, but it has the most delicate talc note I've ever smelled. This gives that barbershop touch. It's evocative fragrance and so very Italian, it creates a mental image of a gentleman of the Belle Epoque walking out of the barbershop. Interestingly, the name of this fragrance happens to be the last year of the Belle Epoque and Domenico Caraceni creates finest bespoke suits, something I imagine this gentleman would be wearing. Not often does fragrance create such strong and fitting associations, here nothing is out of place or random.
    Thanks for the in depth description ! The reason I am trying to categorise/ classify it is because I am searching for it. I never usually go near niche / elite style perfumeries. I tend to visit more run-of-the-mill perfumeries.....perhaps that's why I have never seen it ? Perhaps it had very exclusive distribution, limited to luxury perfumeries ? That's what I am trying to establish, so that I can search in the right type of perfumerie for it.
    Last edited by david; 19th March 2015 at 06:41 PM.
    RARE PERFUME DECANTS - FACEBOOK (closed group) - Hundreds of ultra rare extraits available, including Djedi and Nombre Noir.

Colin Maillard found two bottles of it, I believe the shop was located in Parma sub-urbs. Maybe you should ask him more about the style of the shop.

I think it's going to be almost impossible to find it nowadays outside Italy and even there it's rare one. If my memory serves, Darvant found one bottle from southern Italy after intense search.

double

It's not niche, not at all - Caraceni is serious quality, David, please. It's just discontinued, that's why it is hard to find. Normal-average perfume shops stocked it (in Italy, at least) - they just ran out of it, most of them... you've just to be patient and need quite some luck. But I am sure some shops still have some bottles left. Of course the distribution was quite limited, but not in a "niche" meaning - just limited due to costs, I guess. Caraceni has very little to do with niche, actually if we speak about market segments, it's probably more known among wet shavers, barbershop stuff fans or in broader terms, fans of "gentlemen's stuff" - it's a classic tailor for men after all, and deeply "Italian" too. When I was looking for it in fact, the first place I went to ask advice for was an Italian forum of wet shavers (which didn't help that much, but some did know it).

My fragrance reviews | Ye Olde Civet Cat

I would like to find some new bottles of this also.
    It use to be available on Luckyscent a few years ago.

To me this qualified as niche. It was produed by the small, now defunct, outfit Forester in Milano, who also made Czech and Speake and Washington Tremlett, both of which I'd consider niche as well. Domenico Caraceni was part of the perfume portfolio of Gianni Campagna, a high end / celebrity tailoring outfit who acquired the Domenico Caraceni brand (the Campagna perfumes were also Forester made). Target group for all of these lines was clearly gentlemen with an affinity for classic style (though Tremlett has released feminine perfumes). Distribution never seemed very effective outside Italy, but perhaps that was intended (as with Bentley fragrances, which, in Germany, are only available in a handful of stores - or as a cheapo online ;-) , though I recall the German distributor telling me doing business was difficult. Forester products, this is without doubt, were absolutely brilliant and that rose-geranium base they employed (vintage C&S 88, Caraceni, Tremlett Black Tie) was simply phenomenal! I have all three and luvem to bits.
    Currently wearing: Mellis by Annette Neuffer

You can call it whatever you want to call it.

Gaultier is niche then? Pretty sure Shiseido deal with their perfumes

David said he simply wants to know where he should be looking for it. Let us not open this Pandora's box.

It's been discontinued. Which rather oddly almost always happen to my all-time favorite fragrances, lol. Designer or niche, discontinued fragrances are harder to come by. But don't let them fleece you on eBay. There's a bottle currently listed for $299. Hope the seller's not a BNer...

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Ludlow View Post
    David said he simply wants to know where he should be looking for it. Let us not open this Pandora's box.
    Exactly, I just thought it was totally weird that I had never ever crossed paths with this fragrance. I was trying to establish if it was only sold in certain elitist establishments, which I tend to avoid like the plague because of price tags I cannot afford/ and or do not think are justified. I loved 88, so it sounds as if I would like this one. Too bad our paths never crossed !

Thanks to everyone for your views and different perspectives regarding the classification of Domenico Caraceni 1913.

In stock at LuckyScent

Reside in McLean, Va. Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Bzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by sophisticatedscent View Post
    In stock at LuckyScent
    I'll have to remember to request this as a free sample with my next purchase to see what it's all about.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Bottle has changed and on another note, Lucky Scent, $4 dollars for a 0.7 sample. Really?

Dang... now I finally get a chance to test this. Finally got my hands on Ivy League and love it, never will part with it. Now... anybody care to explain how this one smelled?
    Hi, I'm William | My Swap Thread | My Sales Thread

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    I'll have to remember to request this as a free sample with my next purchase to see what it's all about.
    It's not from France, don't bother.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke Hunt View Post
    Bottle has changed and on another note, Lucky Scent, $4 dollars for a 0.7 sample. Really?
    LOL. A 100 ml bottle costs 89 EUR (99 dollars?) here. Shameless sharks. If anyone wants a free sample, I've a bottle of the new stuff and can gladly share it.

To me "niche" is mainly a marketing concept for some companies to give their products an air of exclusivity. There are companies that put out tons of perfumes that are not even that artistically conceptualised and produced compared to designer fragrances and still are considered niche (Amouage, Montale, Creed, ....). I consider DC 1913 niche. It's almost impossible to come buy. It's completely un-modern and mass market incompatible.

Basenotes Junkie

Having sold my bottle of the old formulation I broke my sabbatical and bought a bottle before it was back ordered on luckyscent.

Don't know if I can say this but I am offering to split my bottle on the splits page. Mods - please remove if inappropriate.
    Currently wearing: Citrus Bigarrade by Creed

Basenotes Institution TNBLUEMIKE's Avatar

How is the new issue compared to the old or should I ask?
    Currently wearing: Herod by Parfums de Marly

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post
    Gaultier is niche then? Pretty sure Shiseido deal with their perfumes
    Well shiseido is also Serge lutens. And serge is a retired designer. But people call his stuff niche too. Niche to me is a meaningless term. I have had people say it means that the company only focuses on fragrance. If thats the case then lomani would be considered niche. They also have limited distribution which is also supposedly a sign of being niche. Others feel it only has to do with quality. But we all know quality can be good or poor even in known and recognized niche brands.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Maillard View Post
    It's not from France, don't bother.

LOL. A 100 ml bottle costs 89 EUR (99 dollars?) here. Shameless sharks. If anyone wants a free sample, I've a bottle of the new stuff and can gladly share it.
    How is the new stuff mate? Still worth the price of admission?

Quote Originally Posted by Duke Hunt View Post
    How is the new stuff mate? Still worth the price of admission?
    Definitely, for me. Actually I have to admit I prefer this new version, it feels a bit easier to wear for me. It's definitely 1913 again, it feels just a bit sweeter/brighter, maybe slightly more powdery and also slightly lighter (or I'd say "cleaner"), but it's still completely "it".

On a side note which may be reassuring for some, the manufacturer is basically just Forester Milano rebranded. The lady owner of this new licensee is the same of Forester (Fabrizia Marinelli). Now the company name is "Effemarinelli SRL", for a while the facility has been even at the same physical address of Forester Milano. And they manage some of the same brands they managed back then (Washington Tremlett, Caraceni, Geo F. Trumper and a couple of others). So my guess is that maybe they're using some of the same stuff (equipment, materials etc.) they used with Forester. Or they even maybe fixed and bottled some old stuff. Or well, I don't know much of manufacturing processes, so who knows - that was just to say that the staff is the same.

Niche: Type of fragrance firm that produces in limited quantity an sells in few shops.