Code of Conduct
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Default Re: Carolina Herrera "Herrera for Men"

My very first fragrance, all the way back in the early 90s! Was my signature (indeed, only!) scent for a number of years. TBH I find the vintage hard to recall now but I smelt the current formulation recently and it seemed rather more 'curry' like than I remember.

Quote Originally Posted by Drzava View Post
    My very first fragrance, all the way back in the early 90s! Was my signature (indeed, only!) scent for a number of years. TBH I find the vintage hard to recall now but I smelt the current formulation recently and it seemed rather more 'curry' like than I remember.
    Yeah, I don't get a lot of "curry" from this vintage bottle.

Determined to give this another shot, I sprayed this on a bit more heavily today, and my wife noticed. She told me it immediately reminded her of the 1990s--she told me it reminded her of when she flipped through magazine ads when she was young--and also asked me if there were any exotic spices in it. She liked it a good bit.

For me, it's still a fresh floral-herbal masculine at heart, but with heavier application I do get more of the complexities with the tobacco and spices. Again, not hypetrain-worthy, but easy to wear.

Basenotes Plus

Would love to hear any thoughts on the vintage concentree version. I’ve been curious about that one for some time.

Basenotes Plus

I have smelled the reformulation a few years ago, I tried it because I read it was similar to Burberry For Men Original. While I liked Burberry For Men Original sometimes it was very tiring on the nose so I gave Carolina Herrera Herrera For Men a try it wasn’t bad from what I remember but wasn’t a wow where I kept it after a few wears. I read many times how excellent the vintage original version was though.
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

So, maybe someone will see this who knows something. My "vintage" isn't original formulation, but from 2006.

With a fragrance that's been around for three decades it's likely it saw multiple formulations.

Digging through the archives (which I did for a bit before grabbing a bottle, but am doing more extensively now), the "this was ruined" talk--and ensuing debate about the reformulation that likely informed Colin Maillard's remarks in his review where he praises the circa 2015 version--seems to crest around 2014-2015.

Before that, you see Basenoters talking about grabbing current bottles (even in the year of my bottle, 2006) and speaking of it in positive terms.

So I'd think what I have is a fair sample to use as a gauge for this fragrance's vintage profile, even if it's a step or two removed from that original juice.

If others know of the history of this one, I'd be grateful if they could clarify.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

You've piqued my interest, and I'm always down for another metallic geranium/aldehyde fougère exercise a la Himalaya, Platinum Égoïste, Le Roy Soleil Homme, or XS pour Homme.
    oh look, I have a signature
    Discover a searchable archive of my reviews and more at The Scented Devil
    Currently wearing: Sybaris by Antonio Puig

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    You've piqued my interest, and I'm always down for another metallic geranium/aldehyde fougère exercise a la Himalaya, Platinum Égoïste, Le Roy Soleil Homme, or XS pour Homme.
    If that's the case, it's a safe bet that you'll find a lot to like here.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks Otterlake View Post
    If that's the case, it's a safe bet that you'll find a lot to like here.
    I also want to swap recommendation for recommendation.

Try Kiton Men (1996)

It's pineapple, violet, geranium, tobacco, cedar, and musk. Think GIT and bits of Roy Soleil mixed with Aventus (before it was born) and D&G pH. This is the Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon fragrance.
    oh look, I have a signature
    Discover a searchable archive of my reviews and more at The Scented Devil
    Currently wearing: Sybaris by Antonio Puig

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks Otterlake View Post
    I have a vintage bottle of this on the way. This felt like an important stop on my endless "tobacco frag" quest.

I love tobacco and I love clove, so my hopes are high.
    Just grabbed a cheap bottle of Centaure by Pierre Cardin, that some compare to that one. Will update.