Code of Conduct

Default Aternatives to Eau de Guerlain?

I'd tried this fragrance throughout the winter, but wasn't happy with it. Now that it's spring, it smells different, and better. I like it. Are there any others (good quality, not knockoffs) that are similar that are worth checking out? Thanks.

Reside in McLean, Va. Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: Aternatives to Eau de Guerlain?

Quote Originally Posted by Swingline77 View Post
    I'd tried this fragrance throughout the winter, but wasn't happy with it. Now that it's spring, it smells different, and better. I like it. Are there any others (good quality, not knockoffs) that are similar that are worth checking out? Thanks.
    I wouldn't say similar but nevertheless worth checking out for Spring - L'Humaiste by Frapin.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Aqcua di Colonia by Lorenzo Villoresi.
    Last edited by hedonist222; 5th April 2015 at 01:56 PM.
    for swap/sale:

Great Throbbing Member

Whip by Le Galion. I found it very similar.
    What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence

...Eau d'Hadrien by Annick Goutal...!

thanks for the replies. I guess what I don't like about the Guerlain is a component of the scent that I can't describe. Maybe "soapy" would be appropriate? I don't know. Something reminds me of cocoa butter. It detracts from the crispness of the scent.

Sometimes, people find neroli very soapy. Neroli (orange blossom) is often a big component in eau de cologne recipes, including eau de guerlain.

Eau de Guerlain also contains a lot of verbena. Heeley has a good verbena called Verveine.

cacio

Annick Goutal Eau du Sud smells similar to Eau de Guerlain. The similarities are in the tart, grapefruit and verbena plus the indolic floral aspects of the base. Eau du Sud is even more bold and pronounced that Eau de Guerlain but very much along the same lines. They are both kind of aggressive for colognes.

If you are looking for something that tones down Eau de Guerlain you might take a look at Eau d' Italie edc. or one of the other Guerlains such as Eau du Coq or Eau de Imperiale. Others that are really great for colognes are Creed Jardin d' Amalfi and Boudicea the Victorious Oxford.

Personally, I think Eau de Guerlain is pretty perfect as it is.
    favorites: santo incienso • azemour les oranger • eau de neroli dore • cedro di taormina • uae oud • byredo rodeo • le sillage blanc • piccadilly '69 • byredo la botte • monsieur houbigant musk • bibliothetique • sammarco bond-t • dusita Issara •