Code of Conduct

Default question about PAO ( period after opining )

Its simple quesion " If I have a perfume with 36M printed on its bottom and its manufactured at 2010 and Its intact ( its with Cellophane) I dont open it .till now 2015 did that mean it's expired.?

Default Re: question about PAO ( period after opining )

Officially by EU dating regulations yes.

But fragrance if stored properly will still be fine for many many years.

The EU forced all cosmetic companies to put use by dates on products.
    DONNA
    Currently wearing: L'Aimant by Coty

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by donna255 View Post

But fragrance if stored properly will still be fine for many many years.
    That's the key.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

What about perfumes that are not containing that ( the PAO ) sign.
    Like Givenchy gentleman or terre D'hirmes did that mean these pefumes can use it for open period ( without limitation)

No, it simply means that the bottle was produced before regulations or in a place where the regulation doesn't apply. All perfumes can be used for years and years if stored properly.

On the other hand, if you leave a perfume in direct sunlight on a windowsill, the perfume will be gone in weeks, well before the official expiration date.

cacio

Thanks fir replying

In most cases, the very least the ones personally experienced in practice, this date is mostly estimated and more likely a minimal "best before" date, often outdone by the actual usability, shelf life etc. of the fragrance. Especially if the fragrance is kept unopened, possibly still sealed and boxed, with minimal or no exposure to air, light, heat and other similar factors.
    Currently wearing: Marbert Homme by Marbert

As far as an expiration date goes: I don't want to use skin care that's old, but as others have said, fragrance is different. I go by my nose, not a date on the label. Something can start to turn into dreck before the use by date if improperly stored and if stored carefully, a scent can be okay to use for many many years.
    Currently wearing: The Wendol by Blackbird

I've smelled stuff still in cellophane that was off.
    Must've been stored in heat.
    for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by socalwoman View Post
    As far as an expiration date goes: I don't want to use skin care that's old, but as others have said, fragrance is different. I go by my nose, not a date on the label. Something can start to turn into dreck before the use by date if improperly stored and if stored carefully, a scent can be okay to use for many many years.
    But most skin care also has the vague use in 18/24/36 months, but you have no idea when it was produced or sat on the store shelf. Some but very few do put a proper use by date. Julique have a 14/10/15 so you know when it must be used by.
    DONNA
    Currently wearing: L'Aimant by Coty

Quote Originally Posted by donna255 View Post
    But most skin care also has the vague use in 18/24/36 months, but you have no idea when it was produced or sat on the store shelf. Some but very few do put a proper use by date. Julique have a 14/10/15 so you know when it must be used by.
    Having worked in a production environment that sold products used for beauty care, it cracked me up to see "best used within xx months" on the label, considering that that was just when it was bottled and before that it was sitting in a large decanter, often times the size of a 55 gallon drum.