Code of Conduct

Default Commodity Book as alternative to Terre d'Hermes

I've always like TdH, but never loved it. I found it somewhat sharp and unpleasing at times. However I recently started to really like Book by Commodity Goods and find to be an excellent, softer alternative. They have strikingly similar earthy notes to my nose. I think Book will replace TdH as my falltime scent.

Anyone try this one out?

Default Re: Commodity Book as alternative to Terre d'Hermes

What about TdH eau tres fraiche then? It's like a sweeter, brighter version of TdH, not sure if that's what you're after since you described 'TdH' as 'sharp' (TdH? Sharp? Wut?)

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Bzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by RickyDot View Post
    What about TdH eau tres fraiche then? It's like a sweeter, brighter version of TdH
    It smells good too IMO.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Hmm.... have not tried. I definitely will though. Thanks for that suggestion!

you described 'TdH' as 'sharp' (TdH? Sharp? Wut?)
    I understand what the OP is speaking about. The opening is abrasive and doesn't get much easier to handle during the drydown. Very synthetic.

Quote Originally Posted by worldcomingdown View Post
    I understand what the OP is speaking about. The opening is abrasive and doesn't get much easier to handle during the drydown. Very synthetic.
    We're not talking about Cheddar cheese here. Sharp is a razor. Terre d'Hermes is dark and brooding, like a punch to the gut with a fist that's holding a peeled orange. I wouldn't describe it as a sharp at all.

dark and brooding, like a punch to the gut with a fist that's holding a peeled orange.
    They should use that for the new Pledge marketing slogan.

I think the pepper in the EDT of Terre d'Hermes is kind of sharp. Which is part of the reason why I like the Parfum so much more -- there's no pepper in it.

I would like to try some of the TdH alternatives that are often mentioned online. I find the Parfum to be incredible, I'd love to see how something similar stacks up.
    The unnatural and the strange have a perfume of their own.
    - Fernando Pessoa

Check out my swap thread.
    Currently wearing: Pour Un Homme by Caron

yes, the opening of TdH is quite sharp.

No but I just got a sample set of Kilian state of mind fragrances, and Smoke for the soul dries down exactly like TdH

Quote Originally Posted by Chillionare View Post
    No but I just got a sample set of Kilian state of mind fragrances, and Smoke for the soul dries down exactly like TdH
    I get zero similarities between the two. As you may know, Terre d'Hermes has zero musk or animal notes whatsoever. The Kilian has a strong dose of musks, in addition to the vetiver and ISO E Super. The drydown of TdH has some (real) oakmoss in it, which the Kilian lacks.

I echo the s(c)entiments of others here: if you want a kinder, gentler TdH with a softer opening, get yourself the Eau Tres Fraiche flanker.
    It's really quite pleasant, except for the smell (...)
    -"Mama", My Chemical Romance

Vintage Dior Leather Oud for sale (US only)

Quote Originally Posted by MFfan310 View Post
    I echo the s(c)entiments of others here: if you want a kinder, gentler TdH with a softer opening, get yourself the Eau Tres Fraiche flanker.
    I will have to do this, because the opening just kills it for me.

Quote Originally Posted by du57in View Post
    I think the pepper in the EDT of Terre d'Hermes is kind of sharp. Which is part of the reason why I like the Parfum so much more -- there's no pepper in it.

I would like to try some of the TdH alternatives that are often mentioned online. I find the Parfum to be incredible, I'd love to see how something similar stacks up.
    I'll have to give the EDP a shot too. I only have the EDT. In my opinion the Commodity Book is a great alternative if you're looking for one. I'd love to hear if others feel the same way. You can get a sample from their website for $9 (albeit, $9 gets you their "fitting kit", which is actually just a sample of all of their scents. But "Book" is in there.)

I love Book; have a full bottle of it and my girlfriend wears it. Such a terrific dose of fig, really...Not so "bookish" to me at all. A great, clean scent.

Cereus #7 might be another alternative - it's not TDH but a cousin with a softer approach

or like others have said TDH Perfume is a rounder - to me more pleasant version

...Vento di Fiori by Bois 1920...
    Currently wearing: XX Latex by Ur M