Code of Conduct
Page 137 of 138 FirstFirst ... 37 87 127 135 136 137 138 LastLast
Results 4,081 to 4,110 of 4126

Default Re: Name the fragrance you tried/smelled today for the first time.

Frapin L'Humaniste - Good. Just that I guess..on first try..might grow
    Sebastiane Black Magic - I actually like it
    Guerlain Shalimar - WoW! reminds me of Habit Rouge

People of Zee Wurl, Relax

Today:

Donna Karan Gold (EdT) A solid lily floriental with a convincingly realistic note of lily. Fairly linear with decent staying power. An interesting and semi-artful mix of warm/soft brownish red notes and crisp/stemmy greenish white notes - that part is fun. I like it, but wouldn't wear it.

Yesterday:

Irisss - Xerjoff Often mentioned as one of the most highly regarded orris offerings out there. I can see where people are coming from, this is really excellent. I anticipated more of an orris soliflore but found this had varied supporting cast, a good one too. Soft-spoken/restrained sweet and woody aspects balance everything out quite nicely. This isn't a Le Labo misnomer iris - Xerjoff did right by the title track here...and they want $725 for their efforts Thank goodness for splits.

I've only tried a handful from the house (this, Nio, More Than Words, Zefiro, Naxos, Dhofar) and overall wasn't super impressed, although I will say they all "smell okay" to be sure. I never really detected a "house accord" throughout them (I do give Xerjoff credit for a wide range of styles/genres) but I found there was a commonality between Irisss and Nio; a pleasant, bright, soft, woody/musky-ness in the heart of the scent. It works well in both releases. Of the six I've tried from this house, Irisss stands well above the rest.

*** I gave Irisss a cursory and somewhat hurried wearing before Mother's Day festivities. Perhaps with subsequent wearings, I'll do more than scratch the surface and my mind will be blown the way I was hoping it would be.
    Currently wearing: Nemo by Cacharel

I'm testing Penhaligon's Tragedy of Lord George. Such a disappointment, and at the price they're charging it's clear you are only paying for the fancy bottle.

The sample of Eucris came.
    Attachment 66294
    Very strong sandalwood, opening the bottle releases a smell like some aftershave somebody I hate used to wear. I will probably try to tomorrow anyway but idk, man

Basenotes Junkie

Recieved my Xerjoff Nio, absolutely love it. First Xerjoff and I am blown away with everything about it with the presentation/bottle etc. Had no idea they were hand numbered, and even had a signed card.

Basenotes Plus

Marlou L'Animal Sauvage, Hermes Hiris and Unum Ennui Noir. All very good but I'm going to have to revisit the first two at a later date because I just want to scrub them off my wrists for now so as not to ruin the my time with this amazing Ennui Noir sillage.

Basenotes Plus

Prada l'homme. This is an amazing iris fragrance IMO. It was a blind buy (my first in a loong time!) but so far I am pleased with my purchase.
    Current Rotation:
    Aqua di Gio Profumo
    D&G The One EdP
    JPG Le Male
    Chanel Platinum Egoiste
    Chanel Allure Homme Eau Extreme
    Chanel Allure Homme Sport
    Creed Silver Mountain Water
    Creed Aventus
    Creed Virgin Island Water
    MFK Aqua Universalis Forte
    Clive Christian No 1
    Clive Christian 1872
    Dior Sauvage
    Paco Rabanne Invictus

"Waste time wondering which "cologne" pulls better, and your genes will spread only by accident. A perfume should be right for the man, not for the job"
    Luca Turin

Reside in McLean, Va. Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Sharisme by Rance 1795 - OK but nothing special.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Armani Oud ROyal
    Armani Vetiver babylone
    Tom Ford Noir Extreme

All just fine

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by shivsri View Post
    Armani Oud ROyal
    Armani Vetiver babylone
    Tom Ford Noir Extreme

All just fine
    Have you tried Pivoine Suzhou?

Few days ago:

Hyacinth and a Mechanic - Tauerville A 200 bottle limited edition (for now, at least) from Andy. Smells surprisingly like the name sounds; hyacinth, spice notes, and an odd petroleum note (which is nothing like the "petroleum" in Fahrenheit). Really interesting and while it's not something I'd wear, I think it's awesome. Always enjoyable to see a fragrance smell like the brief, which is probably a lot easier being an independent perfumer. Many thanks to cestrum for setting up the Hyacinth Pass!

Today:

Le Roi Empereur (EdP) - Rancé 1795 First I've tried from the house. It's okay, something I could do without but smells nice enough. Lavender, slightly sweet orange blossom, light spice notes, and a mellow vanillic/woody/musky base. Common fare that smells pleasant and is easy to forget.

Vicuña Wool byLUIGI BORRELLI FRAGRANCES - did not care for it at all.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne Man View Post
    I'm testing Penhaligon's Tragedy of Lord George. Such a disappointment, and at the price they're charging it's clear you are only paying for the fancy bottle.
    I had the same experience. Definietly noting i would spend $$ on.

Today i tried Amouage Hommage Attar for the first time and I'm blown away. I wish this were readily available. A tiny bit goes such a long way. I prefer this over Tribute which i tried last week.

I've been on a blind buying roll, as usual.

A small bottle of Terre d'Hermes Eau Tres Fraiche. Let's just say I'm glad it's small. It smells like someone eating oranges in a gay nightclub. It has a Clinique Happy for Men vibe too....barf!

Shiseido Tactics. I'm quite liking this one. Has a similar green, mossy vibe to Eau de Campagna.

Guerlain - Jardins de Bagatelle (vintage) had a quick sniff and thought it smelled nice. Haven't had a chance to get properly acquainted yet.
    Last edited by Suspended; 19th May 2017 at 09:08 PM.

Etat Libre D'Orange Je suis un Homme--Technically, I guess I did smell it. For about 30 seconds after I sprayed it on, and only when I bury my nose to my wrist. Complete fail in terms of longevity and projection. The underlying skin scent smells nice though. What a joke.

Bentley Infinite Intense--Compared to Je Suis un Homme, this one is a veritable powerhouse, although still somewhat lacking in the "presence" department. Understated and mature, for me this one is dominated by pepper and nutmeg. Neutral rating so far.
    Last edited by cpp214; 19th May 2017 at 06:21 AM.
    Currently wearing: Antaeus by Chanel

By Kilian Black Phantom. A sweet gourmond...ok if you like sweet burnt sugery (caramel) scents. For me it was the worst scrubber in a long time. Could not wait to get it off! Yuck.
    Last edited by Akahina; 20th May 2017 at 05:55 PM.
    1. Epic Man by Amouage (29 wears)
    2. Leather Oud by Christian Dior (27 wears)
    3. M7 by Yves Saint Laurent (22 wears)
    4. Oud Imperial (black) by Perris Monte Carlo (21 wears)
    5. Russian Tea Ritual by Masque (17 wears)
    6. Fate Man by Amouage (17 wears)

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Picked up Prada Amber pour Homme Intense as a blind buy after seeing enough nice comments about it here. I like it, especially for a pretty mainstream commercial release. The myrrh in the first part reminds me of CdG Avignon, and the candied-wood base is similar to the base of Gucci Envy for Men and modern-day Egoiste (not a bad thing). Nice stuff overall.

I got to smell Herod yesterday but I was able to wear it out today for the first time and I absolutely love it. I could not have picked a better fragrance to blind buy and I said that when I bought Amouage Reflection man, however I don't think if I ever do make a blind purchase again I'll be as amazed and awestruck as I was with Herod it's just to damn good. The projection has been fantastic and I've been wearing it now for about 4 hours and it hasn't shown any signs of going away, the scent it gives off is absolutely perfect I can't imagine finding another scent better although I have heard good things about GIT and Aventus but they are both different kinds of scents than Herod. Cheers everyone!

Aura Tonka by Premiere Note - Loved it.

1 Million Prive Paco Rabbane.jpg
    1 Million Prive reminds me of Bulgari MIB
    JPG Superman.jpg

Great flanker, exactly the same as JPG Popeye
    Last edited by techt; 23rd May 2017 at 11:42 PM.
    Currently wearing: Oud Wood by Tom Ford

Hugo Extreme by Hugo Boss - I like it better than the original

Guerlain Homme Intense
    YSL La Nuit de L'Homme Eau Electrique (not in the directory)

Tried L'Or du Sillage in Naples today. Interesting and different.

Bodycology Pure White Gardenia- a fresh, invigorating, simple but but not bland smelling (rather understated and inoffensive) floral scent with almost tea-like nuances to it, could almost work as an unisex choice for warmer weather
    Currently wearing: White Tag by Zara

Larmes du Désert - Atelier Des Ors

I picked up samples of this and Lune Feline, first foray into the house. Larmes du Désert is a pretty nice labdanum/incense woody. Nothing off the charts but fairly solid entry in this genre. All aspects are fairly tame and remarkably balanced, which led to my wishing the incense was a bit stronger. I don't find the benzoin/sweetness present enough to call this an amber, although it is certainly heading in that direction were that aspect amped up. For a while in the mid, there is a bit of the popcorn butter type of sandalwood note found in Pal Zileri Sartoriale that works quite well here, although not as well as in the PZ.

Decent start to the house. Considering other entries in this category, I'd personally avoid this due to the price ($275/100ml) but if money is no object and you'd like to own a few variations of woody/incense/labdanum scents, I think you may find a winner here...especially if you enjoy the Goldschläger snow-globe (snow-gold?) effect.

Arbo Ocean & Coffee Man Paradiso by O Boticario - both awful.

Basenotes Plus

All Good Things by Lush - smoky juniper/cedar on a bed of semi sweet vanilla & spice. It's quite nice.

Tauer's Tuberose Flash. Love the opening, it's got that almost mentholated kick that some tuberose perfumes have. And seems very green, though I'm trying to get my head around it. Good so far.
    Currently wearing: Tiare by Ormonde Jayne

Clive Christian 1872 - I really like this one. Opened with a fantastic citrus, and I could really smell the petitgrain and rosemary throughout. I don't think it is worth the price.

Molecule 01 - I have never smelled ISO-e Super in isolation before. I thought this was pleasant enough, but not great. I can pick up the ISO-e Super in other fragrances now.

Gucci Intense Oud - This was impressive. I thought it smelled similar to Black Afgano, particularly in the drydown. Nothing from Gucci has impressed me, but this one sure did.

Byredo Super Cedar - Picked up the rose in the opening, the drydown was more vetiver than cedar on my skin. Nice enough, but certainly not the best from the house.

Issey Miyake Nuit D'Issey.jpg

Reminds me of Acqua Di Gio Profumo, citrusy, woody, incense.
    Last edited by techt; 24th May 2017 at 12:52 AM.
    Currently wearing: Oud Wood by Tom Ford