Code of Conduct
Page 188 of 291 FirstFirst ... 88 138 178 186 187 188 189 190 198 238 288 ... LastLast
Results 5,611 to 5,640 of 8704

Default Re: Name the fragrance you tried/smelled today for the first time.

Aqua Fahrenheit - I'ts a fantastic twist of the original.
    Currently wearing: African Leather by Memo

Quote Originally Posted by cpp214 View Post
    Tom Ford Italian Cypress--Again, overrated, like pretty much all Tom Ford fragrances. A blatant rip off of vintage Ralph Lauren Polo, which can be had for less than half the price of a 50ml bottle of Italian Cypress. What a joke. Then again, it's a Tom Ford fragrance, so there you go.
    Totally. I finally tried this for the first time a couple of days ago. I tracked down a sample because I'd heard it smells like the only cologne my brother had in the bathroom, Halston Z-14. I kinda got the similarity, but harsher and less wearable.

The more Tom Ford fragrances I try, the more I realize Tuscan Leather and Tobacco Vanille are the only ones of his private blend that I like.

Chanel Antaeus - reminds me of Daniel Hechter Caractere, but with some additional animalic notes... I think I prefer Caractere, not a fan of animalic notes

Paco Rabanne Invictus Aqua - it was presented by the SA as something "new" ... so it's probably the 2018 version(I have't sniffed any other invictus aqua so I'm not sure)... I like it, it's a very nice aquatic and performance seems good despite reports to the contrary(true, I haven't tried it on skin, but on paper seems better than others like Tom Ford for Men or AdG Absolu)

Armani Acqua di Gio Absolu - another one presented by the SA as something "new" - I was a bit surprized by this one, because I usually learn of new fragrances online, before they hit the shelves... as for the fragrance itself, it's a fruity take on the same old AdG DNA... nothing impressive, performance seemed pretty poor

Chanel Allure Homme Edition Blanche - WOW! Pretty impressive! My favorite Chanel right now! I'm not a huge fan of lemon but this one is very nicely done!

Chanel Egoiste Platinum - resniffed... I was positively impressed by this one last summer, but now it seemed rather average.. probably it was put to shame by Edition Blanche as I tested them side by side..
    Last edited by ccdan; 30th March 2018 at 11:36 PM.

Basenotes Junkie

Encre Noire Sport

Noticeable grapefruit in the opening--nice. The signature EN inky vetiver note is there, but a little muted. Soon enough, the aquatic notes become apparent. Amazingly, for once, I don't hate them. I don't like them enough to want to wear this, but it's well done for an aquatic.

MPG Grains de Plaisir

Not as weird as some people seem to think it is. I don't actually smell celery, even though it's a listed note and lots of reviewers mention it. I get mint, citrus, something generally green/herbal (perhaps here's the celery?) in addition to the mint, and a pencil shavings-type note. So far I like it and think it'd make a good warm weather scent.

MFK Amyris Homme

Lovely opening, perhaps a bit too Floral on the drydown. Overall though a pleasent scent.

I just received Trumper Spanish Leather today which was the only one from the range I had not smelled. I got it for half price which was a steal. It smells like high end soap with that imperial leather smell coupled with rose and geranium. It's quite discreet and smells very nice though nothing special. My top three from the house would be Eucris Edp (beautiful stuff), Sandalwood (a rainbow of florals with Sandalwood). This would be my number three choice I like from the house.

20180331_102946_Film1.jpg
    "There's No School Like The Old School."

My Current Favorites

1. Vintage Dunhill Edition Edt (Made In Holland Bottle)
    2. Terre d'Hermès Edt
    3. D R Harris Sandalwood Aftershave

User of Toilet Water

From Slumberhouse:

Grev: there is some herbal/vegetal note or element of a note that I find unpleasant. I think I've smelled it before either in a perfume or in "real-life." I didn't smell it in the drydown, but by that time, Grev was pretty much a skinscent anyway.

Brosse: At first sniff, I immediately thought of tobacco, but later realized this is fruit. Thick, syrupy (but not very sweet) boozy fruit. Instead of fruitcake, think fruity tobacco. Smells as dark as the juice. Absolutely beautiful. I love it!
    Last edited by Bangkok Hound; 31st March 2018 at 02:24 PM.
    Currently wearing: Royal Oud by Creed

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Aqua Celestia Forte by Maison Francis Kurkdjian - Love it.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Lavandes Trianon, I think is the name.

It is the first one I test of this "high range" of lancome.
    I did not like it very much, although the bottle was wonderful, bright, golden and heavy!

It has been a shame since I am a big fan of lavender fragrances and I always look with enthusiasm at any niche approach - so to speak - to try to get another turn of the screw on this used and usual ingredient.

But it did not seem like a big deal to me and - despite the bottle - and it is inflated by the price AAA.
    I have Spanish roots and I have grown up with the typical Spanish desserts, such as natillas or crema catalana.

I think it's the equivalent of French creme brulee or a variant of it.
    An eminently sweet cold dessert mainly composed of eggs, milk and a certain vanilla flavor - I like to add a little cinnamon, lemon peel, etc -, which is sprinkled with a generous layer of sugar on its surface and then caramelized by heat, and served.

This is very important because it is played with the cold-heat sensation.

Here as a concept, the fragrance shows charm and interest.
    Is it exactly these ingredients with counterpoint to a lavender note - or two lavenders I think? just caramelized lavender on a background of vanilla, sugar and milk..

However on its own it has actually disappointed me; the wildly dry herbal lavender accord has already been made before (the recent Eau Lavande by Olivia Giacobetti comes to my mind - as I love it): here you choose to caramelize it in what is the best of the fragrance.

After the vanilla I did not like it too much; I did not see nuances, I found it soft, also little fluffy surrounded only by milk, toffee and a lavender touch.
    Warm, sweet and boring: honestly, I'd rather eat something like that than smell it.

It has been done before a post with the theme: fragrances that you would prefer to eat before you smell?

Regards, Pipi
    Last edited by Pipistrello; 2nd April 2018 at 11:08 AM.

4 Colonia No 4 by Antica Barbieria Colla - another miss for me.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Parfums Vintage - X Batch (Free sample)

Not sure what to think about this one - strong opening , quite smoky, Aventus (ish) then drying down to a mix of Aventus and Dior Sauvage. It shouldn't really work (to my mind) but in actuality, it's not bad at all.

Code Profumo from a sample flying around at my office. Well, this is just boring, cynical, blah-blah, nice, riding the wave, not the tinyest bit of ... well, enough said ... tons of more well-done & unique smelling stuff to be found for 1/10th of the price they're charging for this.
    Currently wearing: Aramis by Aramis

Oliver & Co. Vetiverus

Bogart Signature

Like it so far, have had it on for 30 mins. Reviews of this one are accurate. Soapy to start, now I'm smelling mainly clove and some nice woodiness. Kind of concerned about projection and longevity right now as it seems to be sitting fairly close to my skin, but it's early so we'll see. Hopefully it will be persistent. Definitely worth the $16 as a blind buy. Will for sure be a work staple along with Guerlain Vetiver this spring.

Basenotes Plus

Dior - Eau Sauvage

Not sure I've smelled this one/tried it from a shop before today or not - my 200ml bottle arrived and I'm wearing it right now.

I was caught off guard with a kind of dirty smell mixed with the freshness. Got a little concerned as the packaging seems a little not to par for Dior's standards - but the cap is magnetic. Did a keyword search for 'dirty' on Fragrantica and came up with 15 or so hits, so that may be a good sign. Bought from CVS' website, not sure where they get their stock from.
    **Resident Basenotes .gif responder!**
    dougczar: "Like I always say, if you like something BUY IT. If you love it, BUY TWO."
    Tmoran: "Gamma radiation made the hulk but I dont think he could drink a bottle of kouros and survive."
    All Hail King Kouros!

Narciso Rodriguez Bleu Noir (a gift from my wife). I like it quite a lot.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Nonthaburi (a suburban province located immediately to the north of Bangkok)
    Blog Entries

Figment Men by Amouage

1st impressions, it is really repulsive. Earthy & Animalic, but that makes it interesting.
    Dior’s Leather Oud is animalic, Figment Men is the gargantuan monster that eat it, much more animalic.
    ***My favourite from my collection***

-------- Amouage: Tribute Attar, Jubilation XXV, GoldMan
    ------ Serge Lutens: Chêne, Tubéreuse Criminell, Ambre Sultan
    -------- Les Exclusifs de Chanel: Sycamore, Coromandel
    ------ Tom Ford Private Blend: Noir de Noir, Tobacco Vanille
    ------- Hermès: Terre D'Hermès Parfum, Ambre Narguilé
    ------ EDP Frederic Malle: Carnal Flower
    -------- Neela Vermire Creations: Trayee
    ------ Parfum MDCI: Invasion Barbare
    Currently wearing: Lonestar Memories by Tauer

Prolixe by Histoires De Parfums - Loved it.

Late to the party I know but Silver Mountain Water today. Another lovely scent by Creed but perhaps a bit subdued compared to the others I've tried. Soft and fresh. I think I like it!

Basenotes Plus

Guerlain - Rose Nacrée du Désert

Blind buy bottle arrived today. Sprayed some on. My nose may be a bit out of sorts, just got done vacuuming the place (carpeting stuff re-done and drywall recently..) and I already have on a frag.

It smells familiar, like a rose/oud scent. It's like it almost goes Montale oud direction, but not quite. Smells more.. natural? The oud-i-ness(?) may be a lot more noticeable when smelling up close.

I like it. Need to wear it by itself later sometime.

Edit: I've had it on my arm for a while. Just smelled up close again. Me likey.

Last edited by ILikePeeps; 5th April 2018 at 01:50 AM.
    **Resident Basenotes .gif responder!**
    dougczar: "Like I always say, if you like something BUY IT. If you love it, BUY TWO."
    Tmoran: "Gamma radiation made the hulk but I dont think he could drink a bottle of kouros and survive."
    All Hail King Kouros!

Irreverent by Histoires De Parfums earlier - Loved it!

a new-york kind of smell

Guerlain Derby (recent edition) from a BN member decant.

Been trying to sniff this for the longest and now my thirst is slaked.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Original Penguin for men 2011 from a rummage/estate shop.
    Price tag was only $8 but I wasn't feeling it. Too much like Spark for Him by Claiborne. I'd just get the Claiborne if I wanted that caramel/cinnamon gourmand vibe again.
    oh look, I have a signature

Roja Dove Oligarch - amazing citrus lemon opening that seems to last quite a while into the drydown also. With a veritable feast of scents amalgamated into this, it's hard to pick out individual notes in the dry down. It's sweet, aromatic and woody and yet spicy and floral all at the same time. It's comes across as sophisticated and yet playful. I do like it and I get why people say there are some similarities with Terre d'hermes, though IMO this is far better and and I guess for the price it should be! Silllage is huge and projection and longevity pretty good also. All in all I rather like it.

Edit: I can't stop smelling my hand - I think I love this one!!
    Last edited by Thorien; 5th April 2018 at 12:07 PM.

Outrecuidant by Histoires de Parfums - Three for three - Loved it!

Basenotes Junkie

Invictus Aqua 2018. Synthetic and underwhelming.

MPG Centaure

It's a strange one. The opening is bright, herbal, minty and fun. As it evolves, it adopts this kind of musty, dusty tone. I think a sachet of old, dried lavender whose smell is fading, sitting in an antique armoire in an abandoned chateau for a few decades, along with some well-worn tweed jackets, and maybe some old leather shoes.

That's my mental image, anyway. I'm rather enjoying it.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

MONOM – Brama - didn't care for it.

Basenotes Junkie

Vagabond Prince Land of Warriors

Leather with vegetal green notes. Pleasant and wearable but still interesting. It does seem to have gotten a bit linear after the first hour, though.

Update: This is not as linear as I had thought. It continues to dry down to warmer, more animalic base notes. There's even something vaguely incensey in it. Overall quite nice.
    Last edited by ScentMemory; 6th April 2018 at 08:19 PM.

- Rasasi Shuhrah: Smells to me like a modernized smokey incense 'niche' version of Quorum. Good stuff!

- Rasasi Chastity: Smells like a mix of Chanel Allure and Allure Homme sport to me with some orange added. For the price very good and lasting stuff!! (I know this has been compared by many to Dunhill Desire Red but I never smelled that fragrance)
    My Top '11' :

- Dolce & Gabbana: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Paco Rabanne: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Azzaro: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Tom Ford: Ombré Leather
    - Guerlain: Héritage (vtg)
    - Mancera: Red Tobacco
    - YSL: Kouros (Fraîcheur)
    - Armani: Acqua di Gio Profumo
    - MPG: Santal Noble
    - Hermes: Terre d'Hermes
    - Amouage: Interlude

Page 188 of 291 FirstFirst ... 88 138 178 186 187 188 189 190 198 238 288 ... LastLast