Code of Conduct
Page 198 of 291 FirstFirst ... 98 148 188 196 197 198 199 200 208 248 ... LastLast
Results 5,911 to 5,940 of 8704
    Dependent

Default Re: Name the fragrance you tried/smelled today for the first time.

Frederic Malle Monsieur - A strong, earthy patchouli, brightened up with some incense before being dragged back down with some booziness. It's decent, don't get me wrong, but I don't think it works too well on my skin and subsequently not one I'd wear. Pass.

Areej le Doré Oud Zen - I tried a little of this on the back of my hand as I've only (currently) got 3mL in my possession, but with 2mL more on the way (same goes for Siberian Musk). This is glorious stuff. Warm, resinous, oudy, almost charred-woodsy. It's a potent blighter and I could not stop sniffing the back of my hand. Smelled good from every distance, close-up or a short distance away. It has definitely warranted itself another wearing.

MFK Baccarat Rouge 540 EdP
    - A piney/sappy, sweetened ordeal. It's got the breadth of thick, fresh tree-sap but on a base of something vanillic and sweet. Very well melded and difficult to distinguish particularities which made for a good experience. Worked nicely on my skin - fortunately I've 10mL of this so it should (hopefully) last me a while.

Xerjoff Alexandia II - Down-right beautiful. Lavender and woods off the bat to give a, yet again, sweet fragrance. Fairly masculine feeling but wouldn't feel particularly out of place on a confident lady. I had a number of unsolicited compliments with this from family members. I might sell a few fragrances in order to purchase a bottle. This is fantastic stuff which belted out for circa 16/18 hours without issue. Interestingly, I had what appeared to be the making of hives on my wrists where it was sprayed. I'm not knowingly allergic to anything, and featured none of the redness anywhere else it was sprayed (neck/chest), so another wearing may be useful on the crease of my elbow/forearm etc. to see whether it was a one-off. For what it's worth, the redness wasn't in any way hot or uncomfortable. Most peculiar!

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

1872 Twist Tarocco Orange - Loved it!
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

I finally managed to arrange a (rlatively brief) trial with Malle's Music for a While. The opening pineapple-lavender salvo is novel, if weirdly discordant, but didn't seem to last. What remained for me was mostly a very soapy lavender with a hint of patchouli in the background. I can't say I was terribly impressed, but I'll have to give this another, longer wearing.
    Last edited by Way Off Scenter; 31st May 2018 at 11:58 PM.

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Way Off Scenter View Post
    I finally managed to arrange a (rlatively brief) trial with Malle's Music for a While. The opening pineapple-lavender slavo is novel, if weirdly discordant, but didn't seem to last. What remained for me was mostly a very soapy lavender with a hint of patchouli in the background. I can't say I was terribly impressed, but I'll have to give this another, longer wearing.
    I tried it a while back, my impressions are mixed as well. I do not really see it becoming a favourite, here are my thoughts on it.
    Summer Rotation: Acqua di Gio Profumo, Terre d'Hermes Eau Tres Fraiche, Sel Marin, Castile, Mugler Cologne, Allure Homme Sport Cologne

Perfume Reviews
    Sale Thread
    Swap Thread
    Wanted Thread

X Twist Liquorice - Loved it.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Olfactive Studio's Woody Mood. Bought a bottle on the spot.
    Currently wearing: Habit Rouge by Guerlain

Basenotes Plus

Roja - Vetiver Parfum Pour Homme

Tried the EdP from Luckyscent, 'blindly' went for the Parfum. For some reason I'm just like.. obsessed with vetiver.
    **Resident Basenotes .gif responder!**
    dougczar: "Like I always say, if you like something BUY IT. If you love it, BUY TWO."
    Tmoran: "Gamma radiation made the hulk but I dont think he could drink a bottle of kouros and survive."
    All Hail King Kouros!

I received up a sample of Prada’s new Luna Rossa Black with a purchase at Nordstrom and wore it today. It is nice, but not very original. It seemed like it wanted to copy Bvlgari Black, yet failed to capture any of the character that made the Bvlgari so good.

Oh well!

Smelled Boss Bottled Tonic. Smelled like straight rubbing alcohol and oddly enough, not in a bad way....
    Very clearly a case for corn flakes and classics

Aeria Rubeus by La Cristallerie Des Parfums - Loved it!

Pleasantly surprised with Prada Luna Rossa Black.
    Currently wearing: Intense Cafe by Montale

Basenotes Plus

24 Gold.

Received a sample of this surprisingly. Yep, smells like Raghba! Not sure if there's any difference. Didn't do a comparison directly to each other, but it seems like maybe more tonka or something in the 24 Gold - but that could just currently be my nose, or if I paid attention to Raghba more then perhaps I'd notice that (more) as well.

/shrug

Basically the same, if not the same thing.
    **Resident Basenotes .gif responder!**
    dougczar: "Like I always say, if you like something BUY IT. If you love it, BUY TWO."
    Tmoran: "Gamma radiation made the hulk but I dont think he could drink a bottle of kouros and survive."
    All Hail King Kouros!

Declaration Parfum--lovely stuff.

Cuir Andalou by Rania J.:
    Whow, this is a stunner!
    Makes me instantly think of the times when my Ma & Grandma put on their heavy floral-oriental aldehydic scents and went to the opera or something.
    A heady, almost piercing narcotic affair, very dense, florals, violets, narcissus, hyacinth something, with a spicy cumin mid and a sweet woody/musky animal oriental base. Closest I have in my collection might be vintage Balmain Jolie Madame Parfum or Chloë Parfum. On the other hand I sense a modern ambery (Amboxan/Cypriol/Cashmeran-oudy galore etc. etc.) base. Feels like an ambituous replica of a vintage perfume, done 1/2 with modern ingredients. It's a powerhouse, strong sillage and heft, almost sticky. Very unique, like it very much. Too bad I only have it on paper.
    Currently wearing: Aramis by Aramis

Aeria Amethystus by La Cristallerie Des Parfums - Another winner. Will be my SOTD tomorrow.

Comme des Garçons Sequoia. Opens pretty boozy with the rum note. It then turned a weird funk on my skin about 10 minutes later and settled back to its boozy character, along with lots of woods. Not in too much of a hurry to pick this one up. Seems to have been done before.

Memo African Leather. The leather on this is not as pronounced as your typical leather scents. Directly on my skin, it seemed a bit harsh. However, the dry down was divine on this one, especially as it wafted in the air. Need to find a good deal on this one.

Memo Russian Leather. Very green with the basil, mint, and almost tomato leaf. Not for me.

Xerjoff More Than Words. A bit fruity in the opening and settles in an oudy base. Again, seems to have been done before, so lower on the my list for full bottles.
    Currently wearing: Intense Cafe by Montale

Essex - But born & bred in good old East London

Maison Margiela - Replica Jazz Club

This is seriously good. Considering buying a full bottle!
    All Time Favorites
    Vintage Fahrenheit - Dior
    Fahrenheit Parfum - Dior
    Vintage Terre d'Hermes - Hermes
    Aventus - Creed
    Bois du Portugal - Creed
    Green Irish Tweed - Creed
    Original Vetiver - Creed
    Royal Oud - Creed
    Virgin Island Water - Creed
    Halfeti - Penhaligon's
    Mousse Illuminee - Rouge Perfumery
    L'Air Du Desert Marocain - Tauer
    Uomo Intense - Valentino

Aeria Ater by La Cristallerie Des Parfums - Wonderful scent!

Dependent

Tried Xerjoff Richwood last night. Gloriously creamy-smooth sandalwood with the waftings of a realistic, floral rose at the fore. Two sprays only as it was late in the day but projected comfortably through the evening. I'm half-tempted to sell off much of my fragrance collection and focus on gems like this.

Blog Entries

Smelled Calvin Klein Dark Obsession for the first time and it is awesome no doubt. This cologne was introduced back in 2013, and it is a descendant of the iconic CK Obsession of the 80s. It comes with an irresistibly sensual scent that will appeal to the ladies. The amazing smell comes from a blend of oriental woods. As you spray, you will enjoy the smell of wormwood, Guarana, and Brazilian mandarin.

Dependent

Xerjoff Zanzibar (vintage): As this one was waiting patiently at my desk today, I thought it would be rude not to try it. It's warm, overcast and humid today so really doesn't suit this fragrance but I'm so happy wearing it. It starts as a cheesy/barnyard oud right from the outset but that initial 'hit' settles down when it hits the skin. It's still barnyard (whatever that really means), there's no doubting it, but it's got plenty of other facets coming to the forefront. There's tobacco which wafts further away from the skin and something floral in there. It's not overt, but it's there and does a good job of rounding things out. I'm waiting for the dry-down as this is so good starting off and I'm hoping it'll continue as it has started. Very good blind buy, my most expensive so far. Very clearly not to everyones' tastes, so worth sampling (as I have not done)!

Au Hasard by Louis Vuitton - Loved it!

I tried Le Labo - Iris 39 , today

Had a sniff around Le Labo today and was really taken by Vetiver 46--a smoky, incensey vetiver, may buy a bottle. Wonderful SA in the Sunset Blvd. stored named Victoria. Their musk scent that is unique to LA is really nice as well. Got to say, though, that I can see why Santal 33 is so popular--it is a very nice scent.

Sauvage EdP. Mediocre, same nothingness, but better than the EdT - more refined.
    Summer Rotation: Acqua di Gio Profumo, Terre d'Hermes Eau Tres Fraiche, Sel Marin, Castile, Mugler Cologne, Allure Homme Sport Cologne

Perfume Reviews
    Sale Thread
    Swap Thread
    Wanted Thread

Basenotes Junkie

Gallagher Bergamust. Nice citrus/clean musk fragrance. The bergamot is juicy and tart. Would be a good option for anyone looking for a clean-citrusy warm-weather scent.

Acqua di Parma Ginepro di Sardegna. I think it's an inoffensive, pleasant-smelling woody scent, but honestly it's so light I can't be sure. I also might be anosmic to some synth-woods in this, as that's a problem for me sometimes. [UPDATE]: the problem is definitely an overabundance of synth-woody aromachems. I don't know why I keep trying to like ADP. They rely as heavily on grating synthetics as do the cheesiest department-store frags. Offensively overpriced for what they are.

Metal (Paco Rabanne). A fresh aldehydic floral with lots of greens. Nice, perhaps not quite for me.

Perfume Reviews
    Sale Thread
    Swap Thread
    Wanted Thread

Deleted
    Last edited by Emrys; 10th September 2018 at 11:43 AM.

Homme de Gres. Excellent lemony citrus chypre.

Perfume Reviews
    Sale Thread
    Swap Thread
    Wanted Thread

Bvlgari Black

From a decant; a few hours in and I'm not impressed.
    Currently wearing: Vetiver by Guerlain

Page 198 of 291 FirstFirst ... 98 148 188 196 197 198 199 200 208 248 ... LastLast