Code of Conduct
Page 224 of 225 FirstFirst ... 124 174 214 222 223 224 225 LastLast
Results 6,691 to 6,720 of 6728

Default Re: Name the fragrance you tried/smelled today for the first time.

House of Gray - Layebana

From the same guys who did Auphorie - Mayura... the Au brothers. They have a similar opening where Mayura is a high pitched jasmine/tuberose drying down to a deep animalic musk, Layebana opens animalic with a light creamy tropical floral then dries down to a light sweet tobacco and condensed milk. The base has some similarities to Fort and Manle's Maduro, but it's more concise. I like Layebana, but I think it would smell better on a lady... it does come off as slightly suggestive. I only have a sample, but if I could just spray this up properly, I'd likely enjoy it.

If you like Mayura, sample this one. I think that one is more of a chalky dry floral musk and this one (like some other scents I've been talking about lately) is a little naughty--creamy floral tea. Personally, I'd take Layebana over Mayura because I really have a thing for exotic creamy scents.

A cheapie I had never smelled before and blind bought at TJ's:

Sung Homme

It's one of those "simple pleasure" kind of scents. It's basically pure unadulterated soapiness, true to its reputation, and as far as I'm concerned, more power to it. It's an honest, refreshing, pleasant scent. It smells a little harsh up close, but creates a nice clean, classy aura that's hard not to like. The sillage this stuff is producing simply makes me feel happy and good. Technically it's an amplified green, herbal, aromatic fougere, but the notes are rather beside the point here. It smells like soap.

If you're looking for pure soapy scent, this should be on your list. If nothing else, it shows how far $10 can go.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Pacific Rock Moss - Goldfield & Banks
    I applied this about 20 minutes ago. First impression - nothing special.

Quote Originally Posted by H_West View Post
    Pacific Rock Moss - Goldfield & Banks
    I applied this about 20 minutes ago. First impression - nothing special.
    My thoughts also

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post

Sung Homme

It's one of those "simple pleasure" kind of scents. It's basically pure unadulterated soapiness, true to its reputation, and as far as I'm concerned, more power to it. It's an honest, refreshing, pleasant scent. It smells a little harsh up close, but creates a nice clean, classy aura that's hard not to like. The sillage this stuff is producing simply makes me feel happy and good. Technically it's an amplified green, herbal, aromatic fougere, but the notes are rather beside the point here. It smells like soap.

If you're looking for pure soapy scent, this should be on your list. If nothing else, it shows how far $10 can go.
    I agree. Sung Homme is basically Polo with pine and birch tar switched out for more orris root, laundry musk, and florals. I like it a lot.

As for me, my first dance with the cheap floozy known as Jovan Intense Oud. It's McMontale with a side of patchouli fries. Cheap, a bit plasticy, but gives you that dirty underpants oud of Dior Leather Oud and rose of Oud Palao but at much more controlable volume, even if it eventually dries down to mostly Turkish rose and dry patchouli near the end. Can't beat it for $13
    oh look, I have a signature

Floris 71/72: This is a fine scent, but relatively unknown and unheralded.

I think of it as a classy fragrance; something I'd categorize as one of the popular "clean smelling" scents of today, but it's MILES better! This doesn't make my eyes burn or give me a headache!

To me, it's much more enjoyable than something like Bleu de Chanel, and world's better than the chemical mess known as Sauvage.

This might be hard to find, but if you do, give it a go. Very, very nice, completely inoffensive, and versatile for any occasion.

And, yes, just like Paul's granddad, it's VERY clean! Women should love it.
    Basenotes sales: Tiffany for Men Concen, de Bachmakov, Atelier Vetiver Fatal, Tiffany for Men mini, 17 Cuba Paris frags, L'Essence de Cerruti, Reyane Insurrection, numerous popular SAMPLES! http://www.basenotes.net/threads/419...ples-amp-More!

Crystal Flacon sales: Prelude to Love, Noir de Noir, SAMPLES! http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626
    Currently wearing: Rocabar by Hermès

rabid aroma explorer

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post

Sung Homme

I wore Sung Homme for awhile. It was just a bit too masculine for me.

Sampling Formula 86 by Sixteen92. Evocative of summer fields full of crops, from my youth.
    "Please stop feeding the dog from the table, from the plate on top of it!" ~~ from the movie Goodfellas

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

ALEX SIMONE – Tellement Bleu - Loved it!
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

armani diamonds club for him: just like l'homme ideal sport i don't think the aquatic notes suit it.i don't dislike it but don't like either: meh........
    Currently wearing: Sauvage by Christian Dior

Gucci Pour Homme II
    I smelled this previously in a magazine.
    I just tried it out on a tester in the store. Very nice. I get the tea note, and the vibe of it is very soft, like a blueish gray cloud.
    It's a little too soft for my tastes though.
    But a very, very nice scent nonetheless.

Terre d'Hermes
    I saw a bunch of different versions of this on display so I tried out the one I thought was the original.
    The juice looked clear compared to the other ones but I could have sworn the cap was black, and not clear. Was it the "Fraiche" version?

Anyway, it smelled very lemony, like you just got out the shower or washed your hands with some very clean smelling soap.
    It was interesting and it smelled like quality ingredients but I couldn't decide if I liked it or thought it was only okay.
    It didn't strike me as something masculine, or sexy, or fun. It did smell super clean, which is nice.
    Not synthetic, scratchy or cloying.

Jimmy Choo Man
    I'm assuming this is the style that it's in fashion for men's cologne.
    It wasn't a bad scent necessarily, but to me it screams CLUB SCENT! or DATE SCENT!
    Came across as very heavy and chemical-smelling.

YSL L'Homme Ultime
    This was a little better than Jimmy Choo Man.
    But it still came across as a date/club scent.
    I guess I'm still out-of-date with what's in, because unlike other people my age, I prefer fougeres and barbershops.
    I wanted to try YSL Libre but they never seem to have it.

Just procured a bottle of Havana Aramis in my increasingly desperate hunt for a great tobacco frag. Man alive, this was disappointing considering the praise it often receives. I just got a lot of cheap patchouli with hint of ashy tobacco around the periphery.

Quote Originally Posted by 7thDayAventus View Post
    Just procured a bottle of Havana Aramis in my increasingly desperate hunt for a great tobacco frag. Man alive, this was disappointing considering the praise it often receives. I just got a lot of cheap patchouli with hint of ashy tobacco around the periphery.
    I get more patchouli too, but I love patchouli.

GIARDINO BENESSERE – Febe - Didn't care for this one.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Essex - But born & bred in good old East London

Sorry to hear you didn't like it. It's one of my all time favourites. However, if you are looking for a great tobacco fragrance Havana isn't one that I would put at the top of the list. The tobacco note is very subtle. It's all spice and booze to me with a nice patchouli note running through the heart.
    My All Time Top 10

(Vintage Fahrenheit - Dior)
    Rive Gauche - YSL
    Patchouli Nobile - Nobile 1942
    Jubilation XXV - Amouage
    L'Air Du Desert Marocain - Tauer
    Aventus/Bois Du Portugal/Green Irish Tweed/Royal Oud - Creed
    1962 - Floris
    Havana - Aramis
    Currently wearing: Jubilation XXV by Amouage

CdG Wonderoud - The oud seems out of place in this one... it shares the same base with Blackpepper, and from what others say, Wonderwood is very similar(-minus the wood) - I can imagine what it smells like. Well, I think Blackpepper is the best of the pack- by far!

Amouage Memoir - green and earthy... I was expecting something closer to Interlude, but no... it's not bad, but I'm not impressed either

Amouage Sunshine - some random sweetness + some notes from Beach Hut(which to me is amazing), but overall I find it unimpressive, forgettable(which is pretty rare for an amouage) ... but who knows, maybe I should re-test it some day...

Two are mentioned here most often, with regularity.

Have you tried....

Franck Boclet: Tobacco

and/or

Phaedon Paris: Tabac Rouge

Both are excellent, but my favorite is the Franck Boclet.

But both are excellent and long lasting.
    Basenotes sales: Tiffany for Men Concen, de Bachmakov, Atelier Vetiver Fatal, Tiffany for Men mini, 17 Cuba Paris frags, L'Essence de Cerruti, Reyane Insurrection, numerous popular SAMPLES! http://www.basenotes.net/threads/419...ples-amp-More!

Crystal Flacon sales: Prelude to Love, Noir de Noir, SAMPLES! http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626
    Currently wearing: Rocabar by Hermès

rabid aroma explorer

Visa by Piguet. Meh.
    "Please stop feeding the dog from the table, from the plate on top of it!" ~~ from the movie Goodfellas

Civet by Zoologist. Quite interesting, and quite good.
    Currently wearing: La Colonia by Oliver & Co.

Not sure it counts as a "fragrance" ... but this thing:

is about 80%(perhaps more) similar to Voyage d'Hermes EDP... sure, it's a bit different, but not by much... well, at least that's what my nose tells me..

Dua Fragrances Invasion of the Barbers

This one is living up to the name so far. Remarkably similar to what I remember of Invasion Barbare.
    Used a 15% off coupon to get a 30ml bottle for $51 shipped, so the price per ml is quite a bit better than the original.
    If you don't want to fork over $250 for a new bottle of IB, this is a nice alternative.

EDIT: After giving this fragrance a full wearing, I can say it's 95% similar to Invasion Barbare. The 5% difference is down to projection and longevity, which favors Invasion Barbare. Outstanding value for money here. It isn't a "nice" alternative, it's a great alternative. If I had to pick between the two fragrances side by side, I honestly don't think I could tell the difference.
    Last edited by cpp214; 11th November 2018 at 06:21 AM.

Basenotes Member

Habit Rouge. I'm in love. So classy. So soft.

DORIN – Saklawi - Loved it!

Technically a few weeks ago already, but never got to fully review this one: Mens Care EDT by Apivita, a pretty basic but altogether not bad quite decent low budget scent with surprisingly good, almost powerhouse tier but also quite clean and uncomplicated fougere and woody rendition at a fairly inexpensive rate
    Currently wearing: 1881 pour Homme by Cerruti

Fuego Lento by Frassai - **** for me
    fuego lento 2.jpg

Jo Malone - Myrhh and tonka

First jo Malone fragrance I tried as they arent so common. And oh my God!. This is amazing!! Not sure why I havent heard people speak about this...surely it must be one you have to get? Unless it doesnt perform/ project?? Can someone tell me if they have issues with this before I spend 100 quid on it?

Replica - jazz club

This is a very nice smooth fragrance. Very unique and cosy. Not sure if applicable for for work but nonetheless very good scent.

Quote Originally Posted by ccdan View Post
    Not sure it counts as a "fragrance" ... but this thing:

is about 80%(perhaps more) similar to Voyage d'Hermes EDP... sure, it's a bit different, but not by much... well, at least that's what my nose tells me..
    the refresh version smells like fierce.....
    Currently wearing: Sauvage by Christian Dior

Emporio Armani Diamonds Club for Men

This one's pretty nice. It opens as a spicy-fresh geranium fragrance which translates to something of a cool and fresh spicy-sweetness vaguely resembling some kind of bubblegum. But I mean this in a good way, it doesn't smell juvenile or anything, there's just a certain spicy-bubblegum quality that emerges with certain kinds of geranium based scents. Though it smells different, I'd probably categorize this among the Invictus-type family of fragrances in the sense that it's a modern fresh-spicy-sweet scent. It warms up a little bit as it develops and becomes more elegant and mature in the sense that it gets darker, warmer, and takes on more of a cloudy, powdery feel as the cardamom increases. The main notes that I pick up on are geranium, cardamom, lavender, and hedione. Performance is through the roof. This would be a solid choice to wear to a club or something like that. It's sensual and elegant but also fresh and it will cut through anything I imagine. I've had one spray on the back of my hand for 8 hours now and it's still going super strong.

Emporio Armani Diamonds Black Carat

I'm not very impressed by this (which I sprayed on my other hand). I'm hoping it's because I've been smelling it in comparison to Club and that it's just getting drowned out in the process, or because I need to really wear it instead of just having it on the back of my hand, because I can't find anything very distinct about it. Apparently, it's driven by a nice cacao note, but I don't pick up on it. Instead I get a very generic blend of something with amber, benzoin, some spices...just a sort of vague, kind of dark, kind of sweet amber smell. Hours later a nice but subtle woody vetiver base emerges. Performance is kind of ho-hum. Especially in comparison to Club. This one seemed fairly close to the skin and without much of a voice. It has a good rating though so I'll have to give it another shot by itself.

rabid aroma explorer

Landscape In Suffolk by Possets Perfume. Bergamot, lavender, Tonka bean, vanilla, and oakmoss. Fantastic! It is not in the directory.

PRUDENCE PARIS – Siraj - Loved it!

Quote Originally Posted by RevEvans View Post
    Habit Rouge. I'm in love. So classy. So soft.
    The Edt? I got the same feeling so I’m considering a full bottle. I found the EDP a bit harsh, but it was a couple of years ago I tested it.

Page 224 of 225 FirstFirst ... 124 174 214 222 223 224 225 LastLast