Code of Conduct
Page 258 of 272 FirstFirst ... 158 208 248 256 257 258 259 260 268 ... LastLast
Results 7,711 to 7,740 of 8157
    Basenotes Junkie

Default Re: Name the fragrance you tried/smelled today for the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by frogboy2727 View Post
    Received my samples of:
    Creed Silver Mountain Water - Dunno .. To me, the opening smelled a lot like some of my other frags. On me, it lasts until the next day. It's high quality, but, I had higher expectations.
    Creed Aventus - Very nice. I liked it, a lot more the SMW. Strangely enough, my wife thought I had purchased a new aftershave. Great opening, settles down to a non "in your face" scent. At least for me. Just one dab, behind each ear and one on the base of the neck.
    As of today, my favorite is still TF Grey Vetiver. I've got a long way to go.

Al ..
    Thank you for sharing your thoughts, and welcome to Basenotes.

Freed from BN Institution

Vintage Chanel No 19 parfum extrait
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Quote Originally Posted by ILikePeeps View Post
    Mancera - Vanille Exclusive

It's pleasant. When you smell up close it smells weird for a second, as if it's synthetic or something but then it hits you - some kind of like... spiced and/or fruity smell added to the vanilla. Pleasant, good. May smell better from further away, depending on your preference.

This may sound weird, but imagine an extremely toned down Erba Pura mixed into a vanilla frag, with some whipping or something spiced.
    Does it remind you of plastic in any way? Some vanillas have a plastic smell to it.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Quote Originally Posted by nikonNUT View Post
    Tried Rogue's Derviche this evening. Really love the amber vanillic dry down!
    The drydown is wonderful. Do you see yourself owning a bottle of this stuff as well?

Basenotes Junkie Danny Mitchell's Avatar

Tried Burberry London for the first time last night. Too weak for me. I don't know how to describe it. Reminded me of a lite version of Amen.
    I'm wearing it today to see how it wears throughout the day, but after an hour, I can't smell anything. Disappointing. I had heard so much good stuff about this.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Zoologist - Bat - did not care for it.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

C.K. One Shock for Him

I knew this had its fans but I was still skeptical. This is really rather good and has one of the best tobacco notes I've encountered in a designer release.

What a horrid bottle and name, though. This could've been a contender with different branding.
    The Brooks Otterlake Swap Thread

The Brooks Otterlake Sale Thread

Current Favorites
    Aramis Havana, Aramis Tuscany, Dior Eau Sauvage EDT, Guerlain Héritage EDT, Lalique Pour Homme Lion EDP, Michael Kors Michael for Men (Vtg), Odori Tabacco, Remy Latour Cigar, Tom Ford Noir Anthracite, Tom Ford Ombré Leather

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks Otterlake View Post
    C.K. One Shock for Him

I knew this had its fans but I was still skeptical. This is really rather good and has one of the best tobacco notes I've encountered in a designer release.

What a horrid bottle and name, though. This could've been a contender with different branding.
    All true. I gave my $10 bottle away to the kid who cuts my grass and I'm kinda sorry I didn't at least keep 10mls of it.

C.K. One Shock for Him

It's kind of funny. I've sampled this numerous times and it's pretty damn good. I was actually expecting Burberry London to be a better polished scent in the same general vibe. To my surpise, it is the other way around. CK One Shock is the scent that London ought to be. IMO, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Mitchell View Post
    It's kind of funny. I've sampled this numerous times and it's pretty damn good. I was actually expecting Burberry London to be a better polished scent in the same general vibe. To my surpise, it is the other way around. CK One Shock is the scent that London ought to be. IMO, of course.
    What London does with the layering of its components is considerably more intricate than anything Shock does. Shock opens with some complexity but quickly settles into a clearly-defined lane.

But complexity isn't everything, and an artfully rendered single accord can be arresting enough to sustain a scent's intrigue. What Shock does with that tobacco-chocolate combination is an impressive accomplishment unto itself. While London is nice (and perhaps a bit easier to wear than Shock, which is heavier and more intense than London), I'd rather wear Shock.

Current Favorites
    Aramis Havana, Aramis Tuscany, Dior Eau Sauvage EDT, Guerlain Héritage EDT, Lalique Pour Homme Lion EDP, Michael Kors Michael for Men (Vtg), Odori Tabacco, Remy Latour Cigar, Tom Ford Noir Anthracite, Tom Ford Ombré Leather

What London does with the layering of its components is considerably more intricate than anything Shock does. Shock opens with some complexity but quickly settles into a clearly-defined lane.

But complexity isn't everything, and an artfully rendered single accord can be arresting enough to sustain a scent's intrigue. What Shock does with that tobacco-chocolate combination is an impressive accomplishment unto itself. While London is nice (and perhaps a bit easier to wear than Shock, which is heavier and more intense than London), I'd rather wear Shock.
    Same here, although I haven't given Shock the 'all day' treatment. I sprayed on my wrist on a few occasions. I just can't remember how long it lasted on me though.
    With London, I can't appreciate the complexity because I can't pick up the scent strong enough to last longer than a couple minutes. It's a nice skin scent, but you literally have to have your nose to the skin.

Bortnikoff Amber Cologne. Another wow! Just an amazing citrus opening, but it's definitely in the dry down where it settles into a beautiful jasmine. There's probably frangipani in the dry down, but not good enough to detect away from jasmine.

Basenotes Institution Darjeeling's Avatar

Sounds good. This is on my to try list for winter tobacco scents. No testers around locally. Sure, it’s cheap, but I still feel bad buying 200ml for a blind buy. I like London, especially the drydown, but my small decant is sufficient. I suspect I’d only need 10-20ml of shock.
    1. No, never blind buy (I do, but do as I say, not as I do. I'm taking no responsibility for your fragrance gambling).
    2. Get them both. You're a Basenoter and you know you're going to end up purchasing them both eventually.
    3. Yes, it has been reformulated.
    4. Looking for a signature scent? You've come to the wrong place.

Quote Originally Posted by deltasun View Post
    Bortnikoff Amber Cologne. Another wow! Just an amazing citrus opening, but it's definitely in the dry down where it settles into a beautiful jasmine. There's probably frangipani in the dry down, but not good enough to detect away from jasmine.
    Amazingly enough, in the deep dry down, this turned into MFK's Aqua Universalis. Did not see that coming. Was also surprised it only lasted about 6 hours on my skin.

Xerjoff Dhajala. There is something peculiar about this fragrance, but I seem to like it more and more every minute.

Quote Originally Posted by Darjeeling View Post
    Sounds good. This is on my to try list for winter tobacco scents. No testers around locally. Sure, it’s cheap, but I still feel bad buying 200ml for a blind buy. I like London, especially the drydown, but my small decant is sufficient. I suspect I’d only need 10-20ml of shock.
    I hear ya. You often get a bit "too much" of cheapies, but it's not cost effective to buy decants, either.

Anyway, Shock is fine stuff. I doubt I'll go through it all, but as a tobacco-lover, I'm pleased it's in my collection.

Current Favorites

Quote Originally Posted by Ifti View Post
    Chevignon for Men.
    Bought as a 'similar to Polo drydown' recommendation.
    See some similarities - Polo Super Lite(!)
    Getting a fruity pear/quince like note I'm not hugely keen on.
    Polo Crest yes......not the Polo Green…..guess you were misinformed.
    My Top '11' :

- Dolce & Gabbana: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Paco Rabanne: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Azzaro: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Tom Ford: Ombré Leather
    - Guerlain: Héritage (vtg)
    - Mancera: Red Tobacco
    - YSL: Kouros (Fraîcheur)
    - Armani: Acqua di Gio Profumo
    - MPG: Santal Noble
    - Hermes: Terre d'Hermes
    - Amouage: Interlude

Swim/Sx by Pierre Guillame. Loved it.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Sampling for the first time Guerlain Neroli Outrenoir

Basenotes Plus

Stephane Humbert Lucas - Harrods H Mamba

Almost B*Men-esque. Jammy strawberry... oud/leather. Then with the like, more earthy smell, similar to Bel Ami Vetiver / Antaeus a bit later.

That initial opening was almost mouth watering and quite good. Then it becomes more avant-garde soon after.

Prefer the opening, smells more unisex and jammy. Later on it's more... masculine and earth-y. Like a not as polarizing/daring Bat or Figment Man - somewhere in that realm; but still has that jammy aspect, but not quite as noticeable.
    **Resident Basenotes .gif responder!**
    dougczar: "Like I always say, if you like something BUY IT. If you love it, BUY TWO."
    Tmoran: "Gamma radiation made the hulk but I dont think he could drink a bottle of kouros and survive."
    All Hail King Kouros!
    Currently wearing: CH Men by Carolina Herrera

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    Does it remind you of plastic in any way? Some vanillas have a plastic smell to it.
    Actually it might, but I was maybe hesitant to mention the plastic aspect in my initial thoughts because if you keep sniffing up close the plastic smell changes into something more recognizable. But when you first sniff it up close, you might get that plastic-y smell. I'd have to sniff it again, my co-worker might have the sample now.
    dougczar: "Like I always say, if you like something BUY IT. If you love it, BUY TWO."
    Tmoran: "Gamma radiation made the hulk but I dont think he could drink a bottle of kouros and survive."
    All Hail King Kouros!

Onyrico – Ingenium - didn't care for it.

Basenotes Plus

Guerlain - Derby

lol, okay I don't know if this is because of the decant itself (teflon tape) or not, but I get like a fishbait/tackle box smell coming from it. But aside from that, you'd think it'd smell kind of like Versace L'Homme or something looking at the notes... nope. It's a slightly spicy, slightly powdery, frag. I have a hard time identifying leather sometimes I guess, as pretty much no frags actually smell like real leather to me.

I like this though, but there is concern for that tackle box smell - does anyone get that in the regularly bottled stuff?

Kind of reminds me of Jaipur Homme as well.
    All Hail King Kouros!

Basenotes Junkie

Tested at the mall - only on paper:

Diptyque Do Son - enjoyed it from what I remember.
    Versace Dylan Blue - boring, not my style.
    Chanel Allure Homme Sport - good generic freshie, but nothing special.
    YSL La Nuit De L'Homme - nice cozy, romantic scent.
    Tom Ford Vert des Bois - fresh and pleasing, not memorable enough to justify the price.
    Tom Ford Oud Minerale - loved it; will have to come back for a sample.

Clive Christian X.

Where's the beef? Performance was dreadful but smells incredible

Basenotes Plus

Bois d’ascese. I am liking it a lot.

Dependent

Basenotes Plus

Apple Iris Root
    Phoenix Botanicals

Enjoying it.

Sampling Creed Ambre Cannelle

Quote Originally Posted by DEdestroyer77 View Post
    Clive Christian X.

Where's the beef? Performance was dreadful but smells incredible
    How many sprays did you apply?

Page 258 of 272 FirstFirst ... 158 208 248 256 257 258 259 260 268 ... LastLast