Code of Conduct
Page 315 of 324 FirstFirst ... 215 265 305 313 314 315 316 317 ... LastLast
Results 9,421 to 9,450 of 9707
o

Default Re: Name the fragrance you tried/smelled today for the first time.

welp just sprayed on some Pure Malt from a sample. It's Mugler through and through. I'm trying to tell the difference between it and Pure Coffee. Where's that booze.. It's not as sweet as Pure Coffee or Angel Men. But it's very close. Wondering why I would even need it considering that I own Pure Coffee...

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Coup De Foudre - didn't care for it.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Freed from BN Institution

Quote Originally Posted by masonjarjar View Post
    welp just sprayed on some Pure Malt from a sample. It's Mugler through and through. I'm trying to tell the difference between it and Pure Coffee. Where's that booze.. It's not as sweet as Pure Coffee or Angel Men. But it's very close. Wondering why I would even need it considering that I own Pure Coffee...
    Were you sampling a recent bottle. I have a Pure Malt bottle from nearly 10 years ago and it's extremely boozy. If you can get it at a discount price of <$50 it's certainly worth it.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Green Irish Tweed by Creed

40 Rogue - didn't care for it.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

IMG_20191230_173708_912.jpg

• Hugo Boss The Scent Private Accord •

Private Accord is a 2018 flanker for Hugo Boss' The Scent fragrance. I don't think I've ever smelled the original, so I can't compare the two. Supposedly Private Accord adds gourmand touches to the original DNA. I definitely get the gourmand direction this scent (pun intended) goes to and I really enjoyed it. The opening is fresh and invigorating. There's a contrasting chocolate and coffee accord, which I assume is what makes this flanker unique. The opening is pretty strong, spicy and very powdery. After a while I get mainly a mix of ginger and coffee and it leaves me wishing the chocolate was more prominent in the drydown. There's some sweetness throughout, which I believe stems from the maninka fruit. Overall this is nicer than I expected. My experiences with Hugo Boss fragrances are few and far in between, but this is the first one that I would consider adding to my collection so far. What I like most is that The Scent Private Accord never gets too sweet and surpringly, it's not immature or even youthful, but rather classy. I believe this is targeted as a nighttime, casual to semi-formal occasion fragrance, but this wouldn't be hard to pull off as a daytime or work fragrance either. I haven't really been able to test performance properly, since the sample came without an atomizer and I feel that the dab took away some of it's effeciency •

Zino!
    Instantly reminds me of Heritage and BDP.
    Quick shifts in its develop. New version 2-3 years old.
    Kinda like what Giorgio Beverley Hills Men is to Givenchy Gentleman. More 'playful' than Heritage.More going on, a little rougher round the edges. Doesnt seem so smoothly blended. Nice dank patchouli.
    Also got some similaritys with Homage Voyageur with its thick patchouli/vanilla. Nice stuff.

Freed from BN Institution

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    40 Rogue - didn't care for it.
    Quite a lot of individuals didn't care for this one from Rogue.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Green Irish Tweed by Creed

Banana Republic 78 Vintage Green — several days ago I tested on skin at the local BR outlet. As others have indicated on the Fragrantica website, I too get a striking similarity to the discontinued Cedre & Oranger by L’Occitane that I love. Burlington currently has 75ml bottles for $24.99. Picked up a full bottle and backup.
    Last edited by The Colognnoisseur; 1st January 2020 at 06:36 AM.
    THE COLOGNNOISSEUR
    OMAHA, NE
    USA

Dependent

Al Haramain Sheikh
    al-haramain-sheikh-60ml-esenta-de-parfum.jpg

Amazing, love it!

Musk Khabib - didn't care for it.

With the "Is there anything closer to Rive Gauche than Azzaro PH?" thread in mind, I went for an impulse buy of Fine Accoutrements American Blend. Lol sending it straight back!
    The bottle/atomiser had leaked and in it's still wet 'undryness' - I did get the resemblance to RG. On skin - wow fail - gone within 1/2 an hr. Not just my nose - but my niece's fresh nose on it - zapp nothing. Mild smell of 'unperfumed' moisturiser left that isn't pleasant. Seems a little better on cloth - popped it on a tie and its still there - RG with the equaliser knobs in a different place - more woody. Could pass as a cheapy 'our version of'.
    Possibly FA are best at what they do best ... aftershaves not EDT's!

Basenotes Plus

Natsumeku by Prissana Parfums

A sunny citrusy & uplifting frankincense-driven fragrance but a littte too shortlived for comfort.
    “...too many among us die at thirty and are buried at eighty.” - Robin Sharma

I blind bought a bottle of current Puig - Quorum.

No regrets, love it. Can't help but think I've smelled it somewhere.

Basenotes Plus

Hermes Terre D’Hermes Eau Intense Vetiver, from a sample spray this stuff is strong two tiny sprays and it’s radiating off my hand! Smells quite nice will see how it progresses as night goes on, the strength is impressive I see the comparisons to Grey Vetiver EDP but it is it’s own unique fragrance.

Atelier Cologne Clementine California and Musc Imperial. CC didn't do a whole lot for me - typical AC-style bright, long lasting mandarin orange fruity floral. MI on the other hand was very nice - didn't care for the fig/citrus at the top, but looooved the ambrette seed and leather dry down. Smelled like an expensive brand new car interior.
    "To 'give style' to one's character-- a great and rare art!" - Nietzsche

"I got my own style; you put my shoes on, you wouldn't last a mile" - Mac Dre

2018 Roxo Tonic by Les Bains Guerbois - Loved it.

AirBrush_20200101164902.jpg

• CARNER BARCELONA PALO SANTO •

Based on what I heard about Palo Santo, I couldn't wait to sample it and it met my expectations. Palo Santo is a gourmand woody fragrance, mixing toffee and rum with strong wood notes. It starts off boozy and creamy. I've been looking to try some lactonic fragrances, and Palo Santo definitely has a hint of (warm) milk, which is how it ended up on my radar. For a moment I was reminded of Maison Francis Kurkdjian's Grand Soir, but they differ a lot. Don't underestimate the woods in this one; they almost overpower the sweetness and booze. The woods reminded me of Lalique's Encre Noir (A L'Extreme). When smelled up close there's something sharper, herbal or even medicinal that threw me off a bit. I'm not sure what it is, it could be the davana or maybe the cedar, as it reminded me of tree sap. It smooths out after a while and I doubt it's very noticable from a distance. I wouldn't say it's bad and it differentiates Palo Santo from other boozy gourmand fragrances, but it kept me from finding real comfort in it, as opposed to the Grand Soir. The performance on my first wear was average, with the first half being very interesting to wear and the drydown being more common, with the sharpness gone and vanilla being a more prominent note. Overall, I really enjoyed the experience of wearing this and I will definitely go through my sample to understand it more •

Armani Prive Rose d'Artiste
    Rose.jpg
    My current top 10 (subject to change) in no particular order:

Rive Gauche Pour Homme, Essenza de Zegna, Zegna Essenze Amber Gold, Armani Privé Sable Or, Armani Privé Vétiver Babylone, Mancera Cedrat Bois, Acqua di Giň Profumo, Amouage Dia Man, L'Artisan Explosions d’Emotions: Amour Nocturne, Zegna Essenze Italian Bergamot/Acqua di Bergamotto

Norne - didn't care for it.

Basenotes Junkie

Les Heures de Cartier: II - L’Heure Convoittee
    Carnation, Strawberry flesh, Iris, Clove, Rose, Green notes.
    Approached this expecting it to lean too far to the feminine side. Wrong. This is really well done and is gender neutral. It scores a wow!
    I had been thinking of ordering Slumberhouse Sadanne for a strawberry fix but this is so much better. Visiting Cartier later today to correct an error with XIII December 31st. I will score a bottle of II - L’Heure Convoittee to open the new year. Simply drop dead gorgeous.
    Currently wearing: Pearl Oud by By Kilian

IMG_20200102_202648_760.jpg

• OLFACTIVE STUDIO FLASH BACK •

Today was my first time sampling the house of Olfactive Studio, with their fragrance Flash Back. I came across this via a giveaway, where people were asked which Olfactive Studio they wanted to try most and Flash Back seemed the most interesting to me, so I went and bought a sample myself. Right off the bat Flash Back reminds me of Hermes' Terre d'Hermes, which is probably my most worn fragrance of 2019. My main issue with Terre d'Hermes is the harsh opening, which I feel causes olfactory fatigue almost instantly for me. Flash Back is less harsh, a little lighter and the fruits are less pronounced in the opening. You could perceive that as better balanced, or less interesting, depending on your taste. At the same time the fruits are one of the differentiating factors after it starts to dry down, with the apple note coming through. It's a nice clean, almost soapy vetiver, which lands somewhere between Terre d'Hermes and Tom Ford's Grey Vetiver to my nose. I'd say it comes off more youthful and more unisex than those two fragrances. The comparisons mean that I really like the fragrance, but unfortunately they also give me personally no reason to add Olfactive Studio's Flash Back to my rotation. However, if you don't own Terre d'Hermes or Grey Vetiver yet, if you're in the market for a more stacked rotation or especially if you're looking for a smoother, less masculine fragrance in the clean vetiver direction, Flash Back is a really solid option to consider •

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Valentino Uomo Acqua.

FBW on first sniff!!!

Valentino-Uomo-Acqua.jpg
    There is no beauty / That cannot be more abused / To beauty's effect.
    / blog:// https://cologniac.com / raging for the machines

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    Valentino Uomo Acqua.

FBW on first sniff!!!

Valentino-Uomo-Acqua.jpg
    definitely interested in this one. I liked Uomo Intense

Quote Originally Posted by MisterGrain View Post
    I blind bought a bottle of current Puig - Quorum.

No regrets, love it. Can't help but think I've smelled it somewhere.
    I first smelled the original Quorum on the sixth floor of Twin Towers East Residence Hall at Marshall University in the Fall of 1985!
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

I tried 4711 for the first time (!!!) today.

I like it! It is what it says it is: the prototypical "classic eau". I could smell it after 4-5ish hours if I concentrated really hard, but basically it's a skin scent after 20 min. Smells fairly high quality to me, natural and bright.

Now, if only the damn sprayer on my bottle sprayed in more than a dribble. What do you expect for $7, I guess.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    I tried 4711 for the first time (!!!) today.

I like it! It is what it says it is: the prototypical "classic eau". I could smell it after 4-5ish hours if I concentrated really hard, but basically it's a skin scent after 20 min. Smells fairly high quality to me, natural and bright.

Now, if only the damn sprayer on my bottle sprayed in more than a dribble. What do you expect for $7, I guess.
    I just splash that stuff heavily because it's so inexpensive
    oh look, I have a signature
    Discover a searchable archive of my reviews and more at The Scented Devil
    Currently wearing: Clint by Avon

IMG_20200103_141822_587.jpg

• AMOUAGE OPUS VII •

As my Instagram handle suggests, I can't detect that many notes yet. Never in my journey so far has that been more obvious, as it was with Amouage's Opus VII. When looking at the listed notes, I wouldn't recognize half of them and the notes that I did register, were not listed. So I'm just going to try to express how I experienced Opus VII, which was a very pleasant first wear. As soon as I sprayed it on, the strong Amouage DNA, kicked in and filled the room. For those that aren't familiar, it can be overwhelming. Surpringly though, Opus VII quickly becomes a very gentle fragrance, that's remarkably safe to wear. I do get wafts of oud, but it's not too animalistic at all. According to notes and reviews Opus VII is a very green fragrance, and while I definitely got that, I get a strong orange scent throughout. Not a real orange, but more akin to an orange scented candle. Another unlisted note that immediately jumped at me, was cumin. Not a body odor cumin, although maybe the tiniest bit salty, giving the fragrance a bit of a gourmand style for the first one or two hours. What I do get is what I presume is the galbanum, which gives the entire fragrance a waxy, balsamic touch. The drydown is hard to describe for me. It's ever so slightly smoky, fruity and woody and it keeps reminding me of lukewarm candle wax. The pepper and what I perceive as cumin remain active, but not as prominent as in the opening. It's very soothing and subtle, which seems to affect performance a bit, but it's a marvelous and versatile composition overall. Have you tried Amouage's Opus line and if so, which is your favorite? •

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by gewoonBB View Post
    IMG_20200103_141822_587.jpg

• AMOUAGE OPUS VII •

As my Instagram handle suggests, I can't detect that many notes yet. Never in my journey so far has that been more obvious, as it was with Amouage's Opus VII. When looking at the listed notes, I wouldn't recognize half of them and the notes that I did register, were not listed. So I'm just going to try to express how I experienced Opus VII, which was a very pleasant first wear. As soon as I sprayed it on, the strong Amouage DNA, kicked in and filled the room. For those that aren't familiar, it can be overwhelming. Surpringly though, Opus VII quickly becomes a very gentle fragrance, that's remarkably safe to wear. I do get wafts of oud, but it's not too animalistic at all. According to notes and reviews Opus VII is a very green fragrance, and while I definitely got that, I get a strong orange scent throughout. Not a real orange, but more akin to an orange scented candle. Another unlisted note that immediately jumped at me, was cumin. Not a body odor cumin, although maybe the tiniest bit salty, giving the fragrance a bit of a gourmand style for the first one or two hours. What I do get is what I presume is the galbanum, which gives the entire fragrance a waxy, balsamic touch. The drydown is hard to describe for me. It's ever so slightly smoky, fruity and woody and it keeps reminding me of lukewarm candle wax. The pepper and what I perceive as cumin remain active, but not as prominent as in the opening. It's very soothing and subtle, which seems to affect performance a bit, but it's a marvelous and versatile composition overall. Have you tried Amouage's Opus line and if so, which is your favorite? •
    Nice review of Opus VII. For me VII was love at first sniff. I credit the galbanum and fenugreek for much of what this scent offers but I am certain that I am not certain... it is a complex scent that easily heads the Amouage line if green is your thing. Full bottle worthy for sure but, to my nose, not as safe a wear as you describe. Enjoyed you post.
    Currently wearing: Pearl Oud by By Kilian

Quote Originally Posted by U2u View Post
    Nice review of Opus VII. For me VII was love at first sniff. I credit the galbanum and fenugreek for much of what this scent offers but I am certain that I am not certain... it is a complex scent that easily heads the Amouage line if green is your thing. Full bottle worthy for sure but, to my nose, not as safe a wear as you describe. Enjoyed you post.
    well, maybe safe is a bit of an overstatement; I just went into it with Interlude expectations and after the initial few minutes it was surprisingly safe to me. But very complex indeed

Bonheur - didn't care for it.

Page 315 of 324 FirstFirst ... 215 265 305 313 314 315 316 317 ... LastLast