Code of Conduct
Page 351 of 363 FirstFirst ... 251 301 341 349 350 351 352 353 361 ... LastLast
Results 10,501 to 10,530 of 10889

Default Re: Name the fragrance you tried/smelled today for the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    This is one tough to enjoy, as it requires and acquired taste.
    Yes I normally don't mind funky fragrances, but this one was one of the most challenging so far.

Quote Originally Posted by ThVH View Post
    Gucci Guilty Absolute — love it so far. Cypress is so nice in this, leather is quite forward, super pleasant smell to me.
    A great leather scent with cypress and patchouli.

I tried MDCI Chypre Palatin last night. Well done but not for me, I'm just not a fan of these sweet dry downs that seem to be trending lately. I swear 80% of what I've tried lately I think I'm going to like until I get to the base and there is something sweet that turns me off. This one started pretty interesting, there is a lot going on there but quickly it dried down to creamy and vanillic benzoin that I do not enjoy.

Dependent

Amouage Interlude, I am impressed, love it!

Amouage Interlude Man.jpg
    Currently wearing: Cool Water by Davidoff

Dependent

Naomi Goodsir - Bois d'Ascese

Not my style. Stronnggg incense/smoke smell in the opening. Little to no sweetness.

Smells like a campfire; like if someone was sitting around a campfire and their clothing got the smell clinged to it.

Not bad, but not me. Pass.

**Resident Basenotes .gif responder!**
    dougczar: "Like I always say, if you like something BUY IT. If you love it, BUY TWO."
    Tmoran: "Gamma radiation made the hulk but I dont think he could drink a bottle of kouros and survive."
    All Hail King Kouros!
    Currently wearing: Dark by Akro

Dependent

Paco Rabanne - 1 Million Cologne

I mean.. not bad! Really! This is quite pleasant. I get a resemblance to the original, but not heavy. It's like a... yeah, more aquatic or something version of 1 Million. It's really quite pleasant.
    It has that bubblegum vibe, but dialed down a bit. With the aquatic (+ rose?) added that's matching or exceeding it.
    I may have to pick up a retail packaged bottle before the price goes insane; I think it's been discontinued. The bottle I just got is a tester.

dougczar: "Like I always say, if you like something BUY IT. If you love it, BUY TWO."
    Tmoran: "Gamma radiation made the hulk but I dont think he could drink a bottle of kouros and survive."
    All Hail King Kouros!

Quote Originally Posted by techt View Post
    Amouage Interlude, I am impressed, love it!

It's a complete overdose of oregano, but they manage to pull it off very nicely. Definitely a badass fragrance with Amouage's signature incense. Not FB worthy for me, as I would rarely find the occasion to wear it, but I do appreciate this one!

Rien - Totally offensive incense and leather. I smell the aldehydes but can't make out any florals. It reminds me of contractors working on a house. I can't tell if it's paint, flooring, or something else. But there is definitely some type of work being done that I've smelled before. Hardly animalic. Just overpowering and headache-inducing. Pass.

Rien Intense Incense - The same, but everything has been amped up.

Dependent

Gucci Guilty Pour Homme Eau de Parfum

It smells similar to the Intense flanker I had years ago. But more... vegetal or something in the opening? Pleasant for sure!

All Hail King Kouros!

Azzaro - Fun
    I actually quite like this one! Not what I expected.
    Opening is fresh, green and zesty, blood orange is spicy and peppery. In the drydown I get mostly cedar, vetiver and wood (akigalawood, I guess). There are some hints of fruitiness, probably rhubarb and blackcurrant listed in the pyramid; fortunately I only get a hint of those, I was worried I would get another fruity-woody concoction for the 20-somethings. Below average projection and sillage, average longevity. My 100 ml bottle was really cheap and worth it.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by PrinceRF View Post
    It's a complete overdose of oregano, but they manage to pull it off very nicely. Definitely a badass fragrance with Amouage's signature incense. Not FB worthy for me, as I would rarely find the occasion to wear it, but I do appreciate this one!
    It's a challenging one, but after trying it, I loved, tomorrow will be my first full day wear.

It's a challenging one, but after trying it, I loved, tomorrow will be my first full day wear.
    Perhaps you will end up with a bottle some day as well.

Dependent

Perhaps you will end up with a bottle some day as well.
    I do own a full bottle.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Magenta Pop - didn't care for it.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

I do own a full bottle.
    Oops - I thought you were just sampling. Very nice!

Dependent

Xerjoff - Pikovaya Dama

Interesting. Not sure I've smelled a combo quite like this before. It's like a.. shampoo aldehydic smell mixed with a backdrop of a gourmand/oriental. Interesting.

Edit: Ha, after making this post I went and noticed aldehydes is the top rated note over on Fragrantica.

All Hail King Kouros!

Freed from BN Institution

Quote Originally Posted by ILikePeeps View Post
    Xerjoff - Pikovaya Dama

Interesting. Not sure I've smelled a combo quite like this before. It's like a.. shampoo aldehydic smell mixed with a backdrop of a gourmand/oriental. Interesting.

Edit: Ha, after making this post I went and noticed aldehydes is the top rated note over on Fragrantica.

Still need to try this one, I've heard good things about it.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2020 HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/471...d-Fridays-2020

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Dependent

Penhaligon's - Blenheim Bouquet

Nice opening. It's like a muted lemon or something at the start. Oh man, that smell reminds me of something from when I was a kid... whatever it is alongside the lemon. Like an old school bar of soap + lemon.

Not bad so far!

All Hail King Kouros!

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    Still need to try this one, I've heard good things about it.
    It's not bad, just not quite my style.
    All Hail King Kouros!

Dependent

Dolce & Gabbana The One for Men Eau de Parfum Intense (what a mouthful).

I blind bought this, arrived yesterday. I sprayed on her and she enjoyed it, but I'm wearing right now (test wearing) for the first time.
    Doesn't seem Basenotes has it in directory yet?

Anyways, this smells great! From a distance. Up close it has an interesting weird smell. Like... grape candy, with a chalky synthetic/artificial smell. It's kind of weird. But in the air from a short distance at least, it smells very good IMO. Way different from the original and EdP.

I get like a.. velvety scent that vaguely reminds of Rose d'Arabie, with that texture. A bit of a spice kick. Sweetness (but not Ultra Male sweet).
    A lighter bubblegum-y aspect. But don't get me wrong, this isn't a generic offering necessarily. It smells -familiar-, but also different. It's actually somewhat unique, I can't think of anything specifically that smells like this.

This one isn't one for cuddling, IMO. But would be awesome for casual outings, a date out somewhere, work, etc. Smells great when not up close.

Edit: Now that I've thought about it and looked at some note stuff a bit, that weird chalky/synthetic smell up close may be the mixture of clary sage/cypress and the sweeter aspect(s), which is just unusual and unexpected, so it comes off as 'weird' to me. Haha.
    All Hail King Kouros!

Dependent

MDCI - L'homme aux Gants

Mmm, that opening is delicious! Sweet and tart/berry-ish.
    This smells so familiar, but I can't quite place what it's similar to.

It's kind of like a slight mix of Ivory Route meets Ambre Narguile, or something. Not sure.

Yummy so far!

Edit: OH! Raghba! That's what it might smell most familiar to! I <3 Raghba, as does she, she has a couple bottles. She has to get her nose on this.
    Edit 2: Interesting, from a slight distance it reminds me more of Ivory Route, but up close Raghba?

All Hail King Kouros!

Aoud Cuir d'Arabie by Montale - Upon initial application, it's an immediate love! This is dry tobacco and leather. About as harsh as those notes can get. It strikes me as very masculine and there is nothing remotely sweet or "pleasing" about it. I've read about this being compared to Leather Oud, a fragrance that I didn't quite understand when I sampled it. Something about Aoud Cuir d'Arabie just resonates with me and I prefer it infinitely to Leather Oud. This is very dark, dry, and challenging, yes, but it doesn't come across as very animalic to me. I'm highly impressed!

Issey Miyake L'eau d'Issey Pour Homme Fraiche

I've had it for a few days. Blind bought because it was cheap.

Disappointing. I was expecting something fresh, citrusy. Instead, I got something green-ish and swampy.

Aoud Cuir d'Arabie by Montale - Upon initial application, it's an immediate love! This is dry tobacco and leather. About as harsh as those notes can get. It strikes me as very masculine and there is nothing remotely sweet or "pleasing" about it. I've read about this being compared to Leather Oud, a fragrance that I didn't quite understand when I sampled it. Something about Aoud Cuir d'Arabie just resonates with me and I prefer it infinitely to Leather Oud. This is very dark, dry, and challenging, yes, but it doesn't come across as very animalic to me. I'm highly impressed!
    That sounds phantastic, glad you enjoy it! I‘ll get a sample and give Montale/Mancera another try... Cedrat Boise was, although pleasant all in all, way too scratchy and unbalanced for me. But I‘d love a dry and harsh leather that has none of this sweetness that seems to be almost everywhere...
    Avatar is a painting by Tomma Abts

Dependent

Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier - Ambre Precieux

Long overdue. I turned down a blind buy at a great price for the Ultime flanker, as I wasn't sure I'd like it (and then trying to re-sell afterwards hassle).

This is nice stuff; cool little citrus or herbal or something aspect in the opening I wasn't quite expecting. But in general this kinda falls in line with what I'd expect. Not sure I'm going to pick up a bottle or hunt down the Ultime flanker. Hm.

All Hail King Kouros!

Quote Originally Posted by ThVH View Post
    That sounds phantastic, glad you enjoy it! I‘ll get a sample and give Montale/Mancera another try... Cedrat Boise was, although pleasant all in all, way too scratchy and unbalanced for me. But I‘d love a dry and harsh leather that has none of this sweetness that seems to be almost everywhere...
    I think you would like it. It makes Tuscan Leather smell like fruit cake.

Dependent

MDCI - Fetes Persanes

Oh man this smells so familiar! Um, um, um. Oh jeez, what the heck is that.

It has a bubblegum-y smell, but also spice - OH. SPICEBOMB. This smells quite a bit like Spicebomb in the beginning!

All Hail King Kouros!

I think you would like it. It makes Tuscan Leather smell like fruit cake.
    Sounds ace!
    Avatar is a painting by Tomma Abts

Tried this for the first time today, it is well done but not for me. It has the distinct MFK signature slightly powdery vanilla which I don't like but it is a good take on a masculine fresh daily wear kind of fragrance. It has enough refinement and uniqueness to make it a step above basic masculine designer scents and would work perfectly for someone not that into fragrance who wants a step up from the usual without being challenged. I wouldn't mind someone else smelling like this, but not my personality at all.

The more I try MFK the more I think it is just not for me, though I can appreciate they are well done and I respect the way he has created a signature style.

375x500.26252.jpg

Freed from BN Institution

Quote Originally Posted by ILikePeeps View Post
    Penhaligon's - Blenheim Bouquet

Nice opening. It's like a muted lemon or something at the start. Oh man, that smell reminds me of something from when I was a kid... whatever it is alongside the lemon. Like an old school bar of soap + lemon.

Not bad so far!

A nice classic from Penhaligon's although it's not something I would readily reach for.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2020 HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/471...d-Fridays-2020

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Page 351 of 363 FirstFirst ... 251 301 341 349 350 351 352 353 361 ... LastLast