Code of Conduct
Page 51 of 340 FirstFirst ... 41 49 50 51 52 53 61 101 151 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,530 of 10183

Default Re: Name the fragrance you tried/smelled today for the first time.

Today it was:

Yardley Citrus & Wood - a blind buy based on reviews here. I liked Terre d'Hermes but I found that a bit pungent so I was looking for a softer, more natural alternative. Really happy with this - really strong fresh citrus and cedar notes - very wearable.

Guerlain Vetiver - not exactly a blind buy as I'd smelled it briefly in a shop on a card but I really wanted to try out a nice, popular vetiver for use on the work commute and in the office. I think this will do very nicely - very green, fresh & soapy like a cologne but hopefully with more longevity.

Acqua Di Gio profumo
    Tom Ford Oud Wood
    Bond No 9 Success is a job in NY
    Versace Dreamer

I went to L'Occitane en Provence and took a quick tour of whats going on...I did not want to get out of that place...everything was so pleasant and nice...

L'Occitan EDT - on paper: very pleasant, it does made me smile. I detect lavender, strong woods and faint tonka?

Eau Des Baux - on paper: Tonka vanilla with a hint of cardamom. I did not detect any cypress, strangely.

Cade - on paper: now I prefer this to Eau des Baux, strong juniper/cedar that spells fresh classiness.

Lavanda de Haute Provence - on paper: a bit overpriced, but it was moderately priced on sale, also quite pleasant and fresh....great for after the shower

Mer & Mistral - on skin: the SA mentioned sea notes, I can detect some watery notes and a green note (rosemary, I guess), but I could not find any sea notes listed anywhere...very pleasant, masculine opening, feminine drydown, quite lovely.

EDIT: now I understand the hype around Eau Des Baux, that juice is quite delicious! Designer quality for quite cheap.
    Sadly, Cade and L'Occitan are fading away, but my they make me smile whenever I smell the paper. quite lovely.
    Last edited by obahnas; 5th April 2016 at 03:49 PM.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by shivsri View Post
    Acqua Di Gio profumo
    Tom Ford Oud Wood
    Bond No 9 Success is a job in NY
    Versace Dreamer
    What are your thoughts on the Bond No. 9 and AdG Profumo?
    **Resident Basenotes .gif responder!**
    dougczar: "Like I always say, if you like something BUY IT. If you love it, BUY TWO."
    Tmoran: "Gamma radiation made the hulk but I dont think he could drink a bottle of kouros and survive."
    All Hail King Kouros!

Versace Oud Noir. People who said this has terrible performance were right
    Eph 2:8: For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith-and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God-
    Currently wearing: Eros Flame by Versace

Zegna Javanese Patchouli. Tight patchouli composition, other reviewers describe something "impeccable" and "restrained", yes, quite, reminds me of a hotel hallway nearly, and there's faint whiffs of something inside a door ajar not enough to see into. Faint oud in background at opening beneath the citrus and the patch, then the cedar. Sat through a check-up appreciating it, I'm increasingly enjoying tight performances/compositions generally, and this is a learning curve, but I also feel I'm still learning more open robust patch, and I have good bottles of Patchouli Nobile and vintage Etro patch to learn from (I particularly like the Nobile patch). And it's good to appreciate something without being compelled to make a purchase. I look forward to trying some others from the same line.
    Favorite 10 (in no specific order):
    MAAI (Bogue)
    Tiffany for Men (vintage) / Heritage (Guerlain) (tie)
    Santos (vintage) (Cartier)
    Feu Secret (Fazzolari) / New Sibet (Slumberhouse) (tie)
    Peety (O'Driu)
    Basenotes Kiss My Ass (O'Driu)
    Ruh (original) (Pekji)
    Bond T (Sammarco)
    Realoud (Phoenicia)
    Tropic of Capricorn (Olympic Orchids)

Basenotes Plus

Today I am giving Bond No 9 Great Jones a full wear. Love it... starts off with great citrus then developes into a woodsy spicy kind of old school vibe. So far I love all the Bond No9 that I have tried. I still like Eau De New York best. There are very few Fragrances I DON'T like though lol.

Gucci Pour Homme II

&

Montale Pure Gold

Lovin' both

User of Toilet Water

Sotto la Luna Gardenia by Tauer Perfumes: I didn't smell gardenias at all, but it did smell somewhat flowery, however. To me, it is mostly a vanilla scent with a little Tauer weirdness thrown in. I found it very likable, but it reminded me of Thai Butterfly Perfume's Mango Sticky Rice and Tom Ford's Black Orchid. The performance didn't seem to be nearly as good as those two, though. Maybe worth trying for those who like Black Orchid, but wish it were less tenacious (and less complex.)

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & B˙zios Brasil

Today I tried Cafe Tonka by Laurence Dumont. (purchased today) a nice sweetened coffee scent at a great price.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

L'Occitane Eau de Baux. Didn't like it a single bit.

Miller Harris Citron Citron
    V&R Antidote
    Boucheron Pour Homme EDP
    Diptyque Tam Dao
    Bond no.9 New York Amber
    Issey Miyake Noir Absolu Pour Homme
    Last edited by shivsri; 8th April 2016 at 10:23 AM.

Wearing a sample of Tom Ford Rive D'Ambre. I feel like I'm walking around the office smelling like a lady right now. Very floral and powdery on my skin. I found the opening to be odd but very enjoyable, reminded me of tangerines and the smell of band aids. The least favorite of the five private blends I have tried, even below the Tobacco Vanille which smells incredible but gave me a bad headache on both wearings.

DHI: Didn't like it at all. What's the fuzz about? This smelled like pure alcohol to me.
    BdC: Actually liked it.. Bought a small bottle of the EdP.

24 Elixir Gold - Lots and lots and lots and lots.... and lots of honey.. hint of coconut.. its strong... really strong.

Nice fragrance but not sure when id wear it.
    1. Christian Dior - Eau Noire
    2. Slumberhouse - Ore
    3. Roja Dove - Enigma Parfum
    4. Tom Ford - Amber Absolute
    5. Tom Ford - Tobacco Vanille
    6. Xerjoff - Naxos
    7. Tauer - L`Air du Desert Marocain
    8. Parfums de Marly - Oajan
    9. Xerjoff - Ivory Route
    10. Xerjoff - Regio

frederic malle bois d'orage ... gonna need to spend a little more time with this one, to see if it goes from a "like" to a "love."

User of Toilet Water

From the house of Creed:
    Zeste Mandarine Pamplemousse: Very natural smell. Nice citrus and I get some kind of freshly chopped herbs. I know I've smelled this while in the kitchen, but I just can't place it. On the dry down it's a light floral ambergris. I applied it on my arm before bed and could still smell it the next morning. I have a feeling projection won't be so good, but I'm pleased.
    Epicea: you must like pine. It's a very nice pine tempered by citrus. Unfortunately, I don't get any lavender. Pleasant, but I don't think I'll reach for it very often.
    Last edited by Bangkok Hound; 8th April 2016 at 06:25 PM.

Guerlain Habit Rouge - thought I'd get a sampler to see what all the fuss is about. It's a very nice fragrance - quite punchy, floral with sandalwood and leather. Not sure if I will buy a bottle but it's a possibility

Tried Chic Shaikh No. 70 by Shaikh Parfums and didn't care for it at all. Very strong but not in a pleasant way.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Junkie rickcharles606's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rgdeuce View Post
    Wearing a sample of Tom Ford Rive D'Ambre. I feel like I'm walking around the office smelling like a lady right now. Very floral and powdery on my skin. I found the opening to be odd but very enjoyable, reminded me of tangerines and the smell of band aids. The least favorite of the five private blends I have tried, even below the Tobacco Vanille which smells incredible but gave me a bad headache on both wearings.
    Lmao @ "walking around the office smelling like a lady". We've all been there ;-)

My Creed sample pack finally arrived, so I spent my evening sniffing my way through it. I'll need to do a few more rounds on all of them before I decide, but here's my verdict after a cursory smell-through:

Virgin Island Water: VIW impressed me the most. The smooth, citrusy coconut immediately transported me to a secluded beach, drink in hand. Great scent.
    Original Vetiver: I'm not a die-hard vetiver fan, but for a vetiver scent, this was pretty good. I'd wear it.
    MI: The frag I was looking the most forward to, and the main reason I bought the sample pack. I really wanted to like this. I sincerely hope I got a bad batch, because all I got was sea water. It smelled like raw oysters. I didn't hate it, but I could hardly catch the melon note at all.
    Himalaya: Himalaya was decent. Fresh. But it reminded me just slightly too much of a high school locker room. A bit.. soapy?
    Royal Oud: What the fuck?
    Santal: Haven't tried it yet. I need to let my nose rest.

Sadly, Mayfair and SMW weren't included in the pack. I really wanted to try them as well. GIT and Aventus were, but I already own them. (Aventus was love at first whiff, GIT I've grown to like.)

I'll give them another go tomorrow, especially MI. Perhaps outdoors this time.
    Last edited by wakefield; 8th April 2016 at 09:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wakefield View Post
    DHI: Didn't like it at all. What's the fuzz about? This smelled like pure alcohol to me.
    Oh boy, well if you could not smell the iris, the cacao, the vanilla, the musk, the woodiness from the cedar then either you smelled a fake, a spoiled bottle or I don't know what to tell you. For me, DHI is the ultimate designer. It has that sexy and classy quality. On the other hand I find BdC very boring, safe, generic.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by wakefield View Post
    ???

What?
    **Resident Basenotes .gif responder!**
    dougczar: "Like I always say, if you like something BUY IT. If you love it, BUY TWO."
    Tmoran: "Gamma radiation made the hulk but I dont think he could drink a bottle of kouros and survive."
    All Hail King Kouros!

Quote Originally Posted by sic1337 View Post
    Oh boy, well if you could not smell the iris, the cacao, the vanilla, the musk, the woodiness from the cedar then either you smelled a fake, a spoiled bottle or I don't know what to tell you. For me, DHI is the ultimate designer. It has that sexy and classy quality. On the other hand I find BdC very boring, safe, generic.
    Quote Originally Posted by ILikePeeps View Post
    ???

What?
    Haha, I guess pure alcohol was a bit harsh. I did get the musk and the woodiness, I just didn't particularly care for it. Then again, I'm fairly new to this, so I suppose my nose is untrained. Like a blank slate, pure in spirit, and oh so naive. Neither of the girls working at the store batted an eye before picking EdC, though, having sprayed DHI on one wrist and EdC on the other. Not that that's proof of anything.

Basenotes Junkie rickcharles606's Avatar

Serge Lutens Fumeri Turque. I'm liking it thus far, love the smoky open to this. I've been working my way through some Lutens samples to find which bottles to pick up. So far, Chergui and Fumeri Turque are what I've tried and like them both very much.

Any suggestions which from this house to try next? Something lighter for spring and summer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YSL L'Homme Ultime
    Tauer LDDM(yeah I know....way late to this party
    Eph 2:8: For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith-and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God-
    Currently wearing: Eros Flame by Versace

[B]Amouage Interlude Man[B] non magnetic cap version.
    A blind buy off the marketplace to see what the hype was about. Ive worn it all day, one spray on chest. Very strong, not sold on it. I will probably give it another wear or two before looking to swap.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbz View Post
    YSL L'Homme Ultime
    Tauer LDDM(yeah I know....way late to this party
    how it was to you?

Petr by Prudence Paris - a wonderful smelling and very masculine spicy scent with a heavy dose of cinnamon.

so I smelled a copy of what I perceived as Creed GIT, all I got was lemon verbena, a hint of sandalwood and some metallic note (ambergris?)

and by copy, I mean it came from one of those metallic canisters that are "french or spanish"...to be honest it smelled pleasant and it stayed for quite a long time on me

anyway, it did intrigue me to smell the real deal and see what's all the hype...

Page 51 of 340 FirstFirst ... 41 49 50 51 52 53 61 101 151 ... LastLast