Code of Conduct

Post 4160 Tuesdays help ?

Hi I am a University Student Currently studying Advertising design and I am writing a paper around the brand 4160 Tuesdays. I am just looking to understand the demographic in which this brand appeals to and wondered if anyone on here could help me. I’d like to know people thought on the brand and their fragrances? How would they describe themselves? Who 4160 Tuesdays are similar to and what makes them different? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
    Matthew
    Last edited by Matty 123; 14th April 2015 at 03:23 PM.

Default Re: 4160 Tuesdays help ?

Quote Originally Posted by Matty 123 View Post
    I’d like to know people thought on the brand and their fragrances?
    Welcome Matty 123! I have tried a few and among the ones I recall - Shazam and Dark Heart of Old Havana. Speaking only for myself, the only thing I found interesting were the names. The scents were rather dull and unappealing to me.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Not sure where you are, but you might want to try talking to a good perfume shop that sells them. I was thinking of Les Senteurs in London, where the staff are knowledgeable and quite frank about the perfumes. In particular, they may be able to help with the demographic question. My guess is it's a bit younger as the brand seems to be trying to do that cutesy-hipster thing.

I've tried a few and even liked one or two, but not enough to buy them.

Well, the name contains arbitrary number & noun.
    I'm sure the owners have something quirky or amusing to explain the name, but to the rest of the world it's just random.
    It's a modern name & casual name (as opposed to say modern & classy or modern & trendy).

The names indicate the brand should appeal to girls & ladies mostly: young'ish to middle age

perfume A Kiss By The Fireside A Kiss By The Fireside
    for women and men

perfume Doe In The Snow Doe In The Snow
    2014 for women and men

perfume Ealing Green Ealing Green
    for women and men

perfume Evil Max Evil Max
    for women and men

perfume Invisible Ben Invisible Ben
    2014 for women and men

perfume Lady Rose Lion (Monkey Unicorn) Lady Rose Lion (Monkey Unicorn)
    for women and men

perfume Says Alice Says Alice
    for women and men

perfume Shazam! Shazam!
    2013 for women and men

perfume Sunshine & Pancakes Sunshine & Pancakes
    2013 for women and men

perfume Tart's Knicker Drawer Tart's Knicker Drawer
    for women and men

perfume The Dark Heart of Old Havana The Dark Heart of Old Havana
    2013 for women and men

perfume The Gin Garden The Gin Garden
    for women and men

perfume The Great Randello The Great Randello
    for women and men

perfume The Lion Cupboard The Lion Cupboard
    for women and men

perfume The Sexiest Scent on the Planet. Ever. IMHO The Sexiest Scent on the Planet. Ever. IMHO
    2013 for women and men

perfume Time to Draw the Raffle Numbers Time to Draw the Raffle Numbers
    for women and men

perfume Urura’s Tokyo Café Urura’s Tokyo Café
    2013 for women and men

perfume What I Did On My Holidays What I Did On My Holidays
    for women and men

perfume What Katie Did on Friday Night What Katie Did on Friday Night
    2014 for women

perfume Who Knew? Who Knew?

________

I'd have said teens, but it's more accurate to say teens of wealthy parents because of the retail price & stockist availability.

Will you be paying me by Paypal or western union?
    for swap/sale:

Sarah McCartney is a very entertaining and extroverted in person.
    The irreverent (and a bit off-putting to me) perfume names somewhat recall Smell Bent, another indie outfit but located in the US.
    I agree with Kagey, if you want to know who is buying the line, ask the shops that stock it.

I really like The Lion Cupboard, and part of the appeal is its name and marketing story. I can't even remember now how I came across this sample, nor where I read the story. I don't think I've been to a shop that stocks the brand, so my exposure must come from individuals and online. I have no intention to buy any product at this time, but I am intrigued. HTH!

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    Well, the name contains arbitrary number & noun.
    I'm sure the owners have something quirky or amusing to explain the name, but to the rest of the world it's just random.
    For anyone who's interested, I think I read that the name comes from the number of Tuesdays a person has if he/she lives to be a certain age (75? 80?). Something about making every day count. I'm sure you can look it up. It's all just a bit too cute for my taste.

Blog Entries

I don't think any rich teenagers have ever bought any of my fragrances. Most sales are through my website and I know lots of my customers on social media and in person.
    Cute? Well, the name was inspired by a yoga teacher I worked with who lived to 80 and could still stand on her head and do the splits. 52 X 80 = 4160. Her name was Lillian Biggs and she was great. Tuesdays often flash by without much attention; my proposition is that it's good to do something interesting on a Tuesday. It's not one of those meaningless motivational rambles that goes on a poster of a sunset - just a suggestion. In 80 years we only have 4160 weeks. That's not cute; it's shocking.
    The proper noun and the number are not random, nor casual. It's fascinating to read the speculation though.
    Perfumer & writer
    www.4160Tuesdays.com
    " a mordant mistress of illusion" Lemon Wedge

Blog Entries

Actually finding it quite unsettling to hear that people think the brand is cute and I'm way too old to be a hipster.

;-)
    Last edited by 4160Tuesdays; 15th April 2015 at 11:27 PM.
    Perfumer & writer
    www.4160Tuesdays.com
    " a mordant mistress of illusion" Lemon Wedge

Talking Re: 4160 Tuesdays help ?

Quote Originally Posted by Matty 123 View Post
    Hi I am a University Student Currently studying Advertising design and I am writing a paper around the brand 4160 Tuesdays. I am just looking to understand the demographic in which this brand appeals to and wondered if anyone on here could help me. I’d like to know people thought on the brand and their fragrances? How would they describe themselves? Who 4160 Tuesdays are similar to and what makes them different? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
    Matthew
    Hello there! I'm Matty123's tutor and I'd like to thank everyone for their help; it made for a very interesting paper and he got top marks for actually conducting research into the audience for 4160 Tuesdays' fragrances.
    (I know I haven't been online here for a very long time, so if any of my old friends spot this, now you know what I've been doing. :-) )
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729
    Currently wearing: Diorling by Christian Dior

Just as an addendum. I have met Sarah and smelled some of her perfumes. She is pursuing a life passion and helps many others share an interest in very constructive ways. She does it all with design flair and vast enthusiasm…. and why not pursue what you love? If others like the perfumes, then that is a bonus. It certainly is a lot of fun. She also has a heart of gold. Look at this project, done to help someone in need.

http://www.4160tuesdays.com/fifthsensefundraising.html
    The PONK club - gymnosium for perfumers
    Twitter - Follow @PonkClub for regular twitter updates

My Tincture list

A perfumed life - Tinctures, perfumes, cordials, wines and ingredients