Code of Conduct
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
    Dependent

Default Re: CONUS Ostara sample group, a daffodiil soliflore

I just wanted to let folks know that this is the very first fragrance I have ever considered purchasing a back-up bottle for!!

My skin typically resists longevity - this, however, lasts almost 24 hours on me! And I love it!

I was walking by a store selling English stuff, and decided to buy it. I like narcissus, this is green and vegetal, and good for the summer. Longevity today seems better than I imagined. thanks again for the sample pass!

(The store visit also gave me the opportunity to smell some of the line. Nothing interested me as much. Levantium is the std western woody oud, a bit sedate. Empressa and Lothair didn't register much. Gardenia starts ok then turns to soap.)

cacio

Basenotes Junkie

First, my apologies for the exceedingly tardy review! USPS never did deliver the sample that 30 Roses kindly sent to me, however, Cello generously sent me her sample to experience Ostara. I wound up getting the sample in late June or early July (again, USPS seems to have added delay, as Cello posted it weeks before it finally arrived) and I was able to sample it finally! Thank you again to both 30 Roses and Cello! I hope that they can forgive my extra late review! (Unrelated to USPS, my lateness is related to office move, firm merger, and the attendant too-boring-to-enumerate business busy-ness…) I did pass the sample on to another fine BNer who I thought might like it as well, so this was a pass that kept on giving.

At any rate, I have been wanting to post a review, as I took careful notes and enjoyed the fragrance greatly! Of seasonal interest, narcissus bulbs are often “forced” for the holidays, so this may be timely at least in that sense… Additionally, IMHO, Ostara is a fragrance that can be enjoyed easily year round, despite the overtly spring-like name, notes and associations. (As a side note, Penhaligon's website has it currently on sale at 50% off!!!)

Ostara opens with a bright green, yet indolic narcissus burst. It has an aldehyde sparkle attenuated by a sweet, spicy cinnamon. There is a sappiness that continues in a green vein, along with a dash of cumin to provide earthiness, without ever becoming sweaty or overbearing. Even in this early stage, the scent comes across as surprisingly well rounded, as if the lowly, yet powerfully productive bulb is still heavily attached to the flower, grounding the bright float-y bloom and keeping it from leaving earth and joining the lonely clouds. Yet the flower still brings light and joy; the sappy, watery green note keeps the whole thing sheer and bright. It continues in this happy, cheerful manner, while never succumbing to being simple or predictable. In the mid-stage of the progression, the scent calms and softens considerably. The powdery-pollen note is evident and a gently musky note pops in, but thankfully, it is not a super generic laundry musk and though surprising at this stage, it seems like a natural evolutionary step. A dry, bitter botanical vanilla and some woody spices make the scent feel solidly unisex. As it progresses into the drydown, other notes and frills seem to fall away and leaving Duchaufour’s seal, stamped in the scent. The dry spicy, benzoin base with a powdery feel, (though not smelling “powdery”) that is so unique to many of his creations is very apparent. With the remnants of the florals and the bright, green notes shimmering atop these base notes, so favored by Duchaufour, it brought to mind Nuit de Tubereuse. As a last hurrah, the scent seemed to sweeten, and then was gone, like a puff of powdered sugar.
    There are always flowers for those who want to see them.
    ~ Henri Matisse

The power of bleu

Quote Originally Posted by cestrum nocturnum View Post
    <snip> (As a side note, Penhaligon's website has it currently on sale at 50% off!!!)

<snip>.
    Thank you for mentioning this! A new bottle is heading my way ... It was FREE shipping too! Who could resist?
    Lovely review, too!
    I've trademarked the color bleu

Basenotes Institution

I fell in love with this scent - the pollen note cestrum mentioned is addictive. Nothing quite like it.
    "When you become comfortable with uncertainty. infinite possibilities open up in your life"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Blog Entries

Super review cestrum nocturnum!

One of the samples was returned to me by a member who bought a bottle, and it's still 3/4 full, so it's ready to be sent to anyone else in the continental USA. I can mail it early next week.
    First come, first served.
    No minimum post requirement, just please be willing to post an honest review, whether you like it or not.

Red face Re: CONUS Ostara sample group, a daffodiil soliflore

This is still heavily discounted in the UK but I'd be blind-buying - would you lovely people recommend this?

Blog Entries

If you like ylang ylang you can buy this with confidence. It's lovely for Spring.

Quote Originally Posted by cestrum nocturnum View Post
    Ooooh, I would love to hear about your thoughts on this one and in comparison to other narcissus scents you are sampling!
    Okay, so I needed a few years.

The Ostara is a much fuller and more complex narcissus scent. Too bad it was discontinued.

The other two daffodil samples are by I Profumi di Firenze which I purchased before they got really expensive.

One is Giunchiglia Delicata (Gentle Jonquil). The other is Tenero Narciso (Tender Narcissus). Not surprisingly, they smell exactly alike to me. The Tenero Narciso is still being sold, I believe.

I do not have a sophisticated nose and am easily pleased - just give me a floral with aldehydes and I'm happy.
    So Tenero Narciso works for me because it is a simple soliflore, if you can get over the prominent jasmine opening. The narcissus is definitely at center and the sillage and longevity are pretty good. So I can recommend it as a daffodil choice as long as you aren't too fussy and don't mind the price.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Zilpha View Post
    Is there any prize for being the longest sample pass in Basenotes history? Three years and two months.

As for Ostara: I gave a bottle of it to my boss this past Christmas (2017), because she's utterly mad for daffodils. She was beside herself with joy, but I had to make her promise never to wear it around me, as the smell (of both the perfume and the flowers) makes me instantly nauseated.

Dependent

LOL!

I still have my back-up bottle in its cellophane and stored safely in the dark and I'm "nursing" my original bottle (100 ml) I soooo love this scent!

Banned

I'm a fan!

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by Zilpha View Post

The Ostara is a much fuller and more complex narcissus scent. Too bad it was discontinued.

The other two daffodil samples are by I Profumi di Firenze which I purchased before they got really expensive.

One is Giunchiglia Delicata (Gentle Jonquil). The other is Tenero Narciso (Tender Narcissus). Not surprisingly, they smell exactly alike to me. The Tenero Narciso is still being sold, I believe.

I do not have a sophisticated nose and am easily pleased - just give me a floral with aldehydes and I'm happy.
    So Tenero Narciso works for me because it is a simple soliflore, if you can get over the prominent jasmine opening. The narcissus is definitely at center and the sillage and longevity are pretty good. So I can recommend it as a daffodil choice as long as you aren't too fussy and don't mind the price.
    Hi Zilpha! Welcome back! So nice to see you here-- hope you and the family are well!!! Thanks for posting your thoughts on the other fragrances. I say there is always room for more narcissus, in the garden and in the perfume wardrobe! lol! In re-reading the thread, it seems like Ostara was fairly well received by pass participants. It seems like about 50% of people who sampled on the thread either bought full bottles, or liked it enough to consider it FBW. (Figures they would discontinue it!!!)

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    Is there any prize for being the longest sample pass in Basenotes history? Three years and two months.

As for Ostara: I gave a bottle of it to my boss this past Christmas (2017), because she's utterly mad for daffodils. She was beside herself with joy, but I had to make her promise never to wear it around me, as the smell (of both the perfume and the flowers) makes me instantly nauseated.
    Lol, I think it’s awesome, too! Long passes can be interesting, especially as things can change so much over time-- opinions, tastes, formulas, in this case, even production of the scent! Plus, it’s not like the whole pass was delayed due to egregious negligence, inconsideration of others, etc. so no harm. It was such a nice surprise and good to revisit this enjoyable discussion. Anyway, I will likely be resurrecting a few older passes soon as well! I have the dregs and remainders of a few passes that I never got around to sniffing (the kind hosts were fine with me sampling them whenever) so I may have to start a Sample Pass Comeback Club, lololol! (Zilpha, you are most cordially invited to join the club if you wish.)

P.s.-- Cookbot, what a thoughtful gift for your boss! The box is just *soooooo* pretty, too! Sounds perfect!
    There are always flowers for those who want to see them.
    ~ Henri Matisse

cestrum nocturnum

Hi! Thanks for the welcome back and invite!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4