Code of Conduct

Default Which Jaguar for men is worth checking out?

They seem to be decently regarded as a cheapie brand, but I really dont need anything along the lines of Cool Water / Polo Sport, or anything super sweet or powdery. Woods and tobacco would be nice. What are your guys' favorites?

Default Re: Which Jaguar for men is worth checking out?

The original is worth it IMO, the one from the late 80s.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    The original is worth it IMO, the one from the late 80s.
    Holy pyramids they threw the kitchen sink into that one. Whats the overall impression compared to other green fougeres of the era, like Polo and Tsar?

Vintage/wood cap first scent has a bit of dihydromyrcenol but not as much as Cool Water, AFAICT. Otherwise it is different and there are a bunch of notes, that's for sure. You wont get monster tobacco or anything like that, and it's got a hint of the gourmand, perhaps from some amber. This is for the vintage - I wouldn't bother with a reformulation bottle, though it's possible that it's good in its own way or even quite close. Once I get a vintage bottle I'm not going to spend anything on a bottle with a newer designer.

Performance is a sort of "modernized" One Man Show, and it's good for what it is (it's not in fashion, it seems).

Evolution wasn't bad, but it's not that compelling to me due to personal taste.
    Last edited by Bigsly; 27th April 2015 at 11:40 PM.

"just a smile would lighten everything"
    https://soundcloud.com/freewheelingvagabond/tracks

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    Vintage/wood cap first scent has a bit of dihydromyrcenol but not as much as Cool Water, AFAICT. Otherwise it is different and there are a bunch of notes, that's for sure. You wont get monster tobacco or anything like that, and it's got a hint of the gourmand, perhaps from some amber. This is for the vintage - I wouldn't bother with a reformulation bottle, though it's possible that it's good in its own way or even quite close. Once I get a vintage bottle I'm not going to spend anything on a bottle with a newer designer.

Performance is a sort of "modernized" One Man Show, and it's good for what it is (it's not in fashion, it seems).

Evolution wasn't bad, but it's not that compelling to me due to personal taste.
    I blind bought one man show, and while it was an admirable effort, it smelled like a jumbled mess of the cheapest synthetic version of whatever ingredients used to be in it. All in all, it had a very industrial bathroom cleaner effect. Harsh and a bit dated.

However, cleaned up, it could make a very good scent. I will check out performance.

Can you elaborate on evolution? Is it just another fresh aquatic fougere?

I am a bit wary of the reformulation Jaguar for men, people are saying longevity is abysmal and that it gets incredibly soapy or powdery, not really what I am looking for.
    Last edited by DerangedGoose; 28th April 2015 at 12:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DerangedGoose View Post
    I blind bought one man show, and while it was an admirable mess, it smelled like a jumbled mess of the cheapest synthetic version of whatever ingredients used to be in it. All in all, it had a very industrial bathroom cleaner effect. Harsh and a bit dated.

However, cleaned up, it could make a very good scent. I will check out performance.

I am a bit wary of the reformulation Jaguar for men, people are saying longevity is abysmal and that it gets incredibly soapy or powdery, not really what I am looking for.
    Sample if you can.
    "just a smile would lighten everything"
    https://soundcloud.com/freewheelingvagabond/tracks

Quote Originally Posted by DerangedGoose View Post
    I blind bought one man show, and while it was an admirable mess, it smelled like a jumbled mess of the cheapest synthetic version of whatever ingredients used to be in it. All in all, it had a very industrial bathroom cleaner effect. Harsh and a bit dated.

Well vintage One Man Show is something special, IMO, and what you sampled might be a third or forth major reformulation, as far as most or all of us know! Performance is less complex and more focused, in any case. As to Evolution, it reminds me of Aventus and the "clones," not in terms of specific notes, but the general composition (more refined than Black XS, for instance). I don't remember it that well, but from memory I'd go for Lomani's AB Spirit Silver instead, actually.

I LOVE Jaguar Vision! But it you don't like hyper sweet/fruity frags, best to stay away! I had classic Gold and Red also...they were ok, but ended up unloading them.
    "Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see."
    -Hebrews 11:1

The original "For Men" is the best IMO.

Blog Entries

At the moment we dont know what you like or dislike, so it is hard to make a recommendation.

Its worth completing your forum wardrobe and rating your bottles. You can then look at the notes that feature in your 4 and 5 star fragrances and look at which Jaguar fragrances also feature those notes. You can also stay away from notes you dont like in your 1 and 2 star fragrances. Otherwise you can consciously decide to try something that features notes you haven't explored yet.
    Currently wearing: M by Puredistance

Is the original bottle made in Switzerland or in France? I've also seen a bottle made in Germany ,with the same brown cap (probably not wood) which seems to be reformulated. Is this bottle worth buying?

Basenotes Member

The best of Jaguar: JAGUAR MARK II - discontinued. AWESOME FRAGRANCE of natural mandarin more warm patchouli