Code of Conduct
Just Starting Out Sponsor

Default I'm on a musk kick!

I am currently on a musk kick! I must have come full circle because as a teenager musk was my favorite scent. But then it became too ubiquitous and it began to turn me off. I really like smelling unique, mysterious and clean. Anyway as a kid I wore Body Shop White Musk oil, or Jovan Musk for Women. As I got older I bought several designer scents with musk basenotes. Then I veered away from musk for years until recently. I whipped out my old Jovan Musk for Women and have been enjoying a secret affair with it. It's cheap, it's old school and yes I love it!

Can you recommend some beautiful musks for me to try? Vintage or modern, cheap or expensive. All welcome! I will say I enjoy Narciso Rodriguez for Her on other people for that clean, sexy, musky smell but it doesn't agree with me. unfortunately it is headache inducing. I also didn't care for Kiehl's Musk last time I tried it, but then that was when I was off musk completely. Also, while I am a huge fan of vanilla, I have found I'm not into the vanilla/musk combo. I bought Loves's True Bluish Light by Ava Luxe as a blind buy and I don't care for it.

Default Re: I'm on a musk kick!

I cannot think of much else in mainstream. In niche perfumery, Parfums de Nicolai Musc Intense is a smooth clean musk with floral overtones (the 30ml bottle isn't too expensive). Tom Ford came out with a series of white musks in his expensive line one year (urban musk and a couple others), but I think they've been discontinued, though sometimes dept stores still have leftover bottles.

If you get the chance, you should also smell the reference dirty musk, Lutens Muscs Koublai Khan, which is however dirty (like the Kiehl's one). And on the males of choice, Kouros. The vintage is quite dirty, the recent one is clean, but still has plenty of musks.

cacio

Along with the above mentioned, try Narciso Rodriguez Musc EDP.

Blog Entries

+1 for Muscs Koublai Khan.

Adding Malle's Musk Ravageur.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.
    Currently wearing: Chergui by Serge Lutens

Hi there!
    Santa Maria Novella do a musk scent - Muschio - that is
    almost an edible musk, kind of butterscotch and powder.
    They also do one called Muschio Oro but that one is not as good
    in my opinion.
    You could also try Serge Lutens Clair de Musc.
    A woman without perfume is like a flower without a scent.

Reside in McLean, Va. Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Dew Musk by Montale
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Loving all these replies!

Infinity, I can sympathize as I was a Coty Wild Musk girl back in the day. Sometimes I wonder if I am on a subliminal quest to regain that same sweet and sexy fragrance, given that CWM is simply not the same as it used to be.

My recommendations are Helmut Lang EDC and Serge Lutens Muscs Kublai Khan. I have tried HL EDP and parfum, and I find them to be a bit too tenacious, but you might want to at least try them as long as you are exploring the HL line. I agree about the Kiehl's--there is a kind of urinous smell to it that turns me off. I don't care for Malle's Musc Ravageur because it turned to potpourri on me, but you probably should still try it in case your skin has a different reaction.
    I'm rejiggering my fragrance wardrobe and am selling some things in the marketplace.
    Chanel, Guerlain, Jean Deprez, L'Artisan, Tom Ford
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/402...ED-22-May-2016

Thank you so much for the recommendations! I have a lot of sampling to do!

Also adding Acca Kappa Muschio Bianco- a lighter, but not overly casual nor generic lighter interpretation of musk, rather underrated but good (in fact, quite niche-like) quality translucent, semi-formal warmer weather musk
    Currently wearing: Zino Davidoff by Davidoff

I enjoy Kiehl's: Original Musk Oil. Did you try that or the EDT? I find it smoother. I've never smelled the urinousness that you speak of, Asha, but next time I wear it I'll keep my nose open!
    Last edited by Hat and Beard; 2nd May 2015 at 10:26 AM.

I too am a fan of the Kiehl's oil, the EDT is a bit sharp for my tastes.

The Body Shop also makes a White Musk for men that is really very nice, probably my favorite cheap musk fragrance around. It's very unisex.
    Currently wearing: Himalaya by Creed

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Izzie View Post
    The Body Shop also makes a White Musk for men that is really very nice, probably my favorite cheap musk fragrance around. It's very unisex.
    Yeah, that's a bit of a guilty pleasure for me too. Linear, won't project much or last more than a few hours, but is smells damn pleasant.

Another one is Al-Rehab White Musk which smells similar but is even cheaper, a 6ml roll-on for $5. Probably better than The Body Shop one, too. Sultan is another one worth taking a look at, a 35ml going for maybe $10.

Oooh, even more goodies! Yay! Thank you all so much for your expertise and input. This oughta keep me occupied for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by badarun View Post
    Along with the above mentioned, try Narciso Rodriguez Musc EDP.
    Can you please clarify badarun? There are so many variations and flankers, I get confused. Do you mean the EDP Musc Intense?

Quote Originally Posted by teardrop View Post
    +1 for Muscs Koublai Khan.

Adding Malle's Musk Ravageur.
    I sampled and enjoyed both of these.

I was at Sephora today, and was reminded of one that might be a good one to try: Bulgari Eau Parfumee au The Blanc. It is a white musk with tea accord, and is relatively affordable.
    I'm rejiggering my fragrance wardrobe and am selling some things in the marketplace.
    Chanel, Guerlain, Jean Deprez, L'Artisan, Tom Ford
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/402...ED-22-May-2016

Lorenzo Villoresi Musk. Beautiful, dry, uncluttered. NOT syrupy like NR for Her so if you react to the syrup but want the musk you may love it.

I'll chime in with Mona di Orio's Musc, which is really beautiful almondy, rose musk. I find it better in cooler weather, but that may be just me.

Also definitely recommend Bruno Acampora's Musc oil. The spray EdT (or is it EdP?) is a bit harsher in my view, with more patchouli.

And with Kiehl's, I agree that the EdT and the oil should both be tried. The oil is softer with less of the skankiness.

And if you can find Tom Ford's Urban Musk, it's great. Very barnyard, with musk and warm benzoin.

Quote Originally Posted by Asha View Post
    I was at Sephora today, and was reminded of one that might be a good one to try: Bulgari Eau Parfumee au The Blanc. It is a white musk with tea accord, and is relatively affordable.

Yes! This one I have! I do enjoy it but only wear it occasionally. I don't know...for some reason, lately when I want musk, Jovan Musk trumps everything else I have. I did buy Auric Blends Egyptian Goddess recently but I don't wear it, too soapy on me. I can't wait to try some of these new suggestions and see if I can find something to rival Jovan Musk. Lol, I know that sounds weird since it's so old and it's a cheapie but hey, I always get compliments when I wear it and it really hits the spot for me!

Quote Originally Posted by teacake View Post
    Lorenzo Villoresi Musk. Beautiful, dry, uncluttered. NOT syrupy like NR for Her so if you react to the syrup but want the musk you may love it.

Ooh, this sounds interesting to me! Thanks teacake!

And thanks to all who have added suggestions! My list is getting long!
    Last edited by Infinity; 5th May 2015 at 03:30 PM.

Non-Blonde's blog has some great suggestions

http://www.thenonblonde.com/2013/01/...l#.VUjnYMp0zcs

Thanks Kaern!

Just wanted to update that so far I have tested Narciso Rodriguez Musc For Her Perfume Intense (which is supposed to be the same as the Musc For Her oil). At first it smelled of root beer...but the dry down I quite liked. Moreso than the regular For Her, but it didn't last on me. The whole Narciso Rodriguez line confuses me with all their flankers but it was the easiest for me to sample as its in Sephora. Still have lots of samples to order online and will update when I do.

MFK Absolu pour le Soir or Masque Montecristo

Try Jovan Musk or Jovan White Musk.
    Wear what you want and don't listen to people who tell you that you didn't spend enough.

Reside in McLean, Va. Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by Kagey View Post
    I'll chime in with Mona di Orio's Musc, which is really beautiful almondy, rose musk.
    Another great one.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Musc Tonkin
    Eau de Parfum, by Parfum d’Empire

http://www.luckyscent.com/product/35...arfum-d-empire

Musk Aoud, Roja Dove

http://www.fragrantica.com/perfume/R...oud-23008.html
    My Top 5, In no particular order
    1). Creed Aventus - S042C13ZZ01
    2). Creed Aventus - C42C14F01
    3). Creed Aventus - FP42C14A02
    4). Creed Aventus - A42B11Y02
    5). Creed Aventus - A42C13Z01