Code of Conduct
Just Starting Out Sponsor

Default Men's Cologne for Young Professional (Gift)

Hi. I'm completely new to this, and so hope my question makes sense. Any questions, please just ask.

I want to buy my boyfriend cologne for a gift. He is mid twenties, and starting a new job as an attorney in a very male dominated field soon. He is very in to hiking, etc. He doesn't really have cologne that he wears on a regular basis, but would like something nice to wear for work and dressing up.

I've been told that I tend to like scents that are more appropriate for an older man (pine, sandalwood, leather, etc.), so I'm a bit worried if I just go to the store and pick out what I like. But are there scents with these notes that are appropriate for a younger guy? I also really don't really like "soapy" scents (Chanel Bleu, for instance).

Any suggestions are very much appreciated.
    Last edited by MS2015; 3rd May 2015 at 05:17 PM. Reason: Clarity.

Default Re: Men's Cologne for Young Professional (Gift)

Welcome to you MS2015! Perhaps Green Irish Tweed. Doesn't have the notes you list but is great for the young professional IMO. Also Burberry London might work.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Tom Ford Grey Vetiver would be a good one. Very office appropriate, and a modern-classic

Both of those suggestions are great for office wear. May I also recommend Chanel Allure Homme. Very nice for every occasion and year round use.
    Currently wearing: Spicebomb by Viktor & Rolf

MS2015 - Thank you for posting. Your instincts about fragrances are probably good, and the older stuff is what you want for the office.

This is what I think:

I think he needs a set of complementary scents, a team he can trust. I would consider one (or both) of these lines:

Chanel Allure Homme

Dior Homme

Those two are going head-to-head, and ours is to reap the benefit.

Then again, for big days at the office: visits to HQ, etc., Platinum Egoiste is usually the way to go!

Welcome!

You shouldn't worry about age appropriateness or the like. Besides, if he works in a law firm, the last thing you want is to implicitly state that the senior/bosses are "old".

What is the budget? If you go into niche, you can spend as much as you like ... In any case, as an all-situations business type of scents, I like vetivers a lot. Vetiver smells fresh, slightly grassy, and natural. It's a classic masculine genre. Several examples, in mainstream the Tom Ford Grey Vetiver mentioned is good, as is guerlain vetiver. In more expensive territory, there's Chanel Sycomore, which is even more refined. Incidentally, note that some vetivers add soapy notes to enhance the cleanliness effect - though this is not in vetiver per se (and the ones mentioned shouldn't come off as soapy).

cacio

Creed Aventus

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    Welcome!

You shouldn't worry about age appropriateness or the like. Besides, if he works in a law firm, the last thing you want is to implicitly state that the senior/bosses are "old".

What is the budget? If you go into niche, you can spend as much as you like ... In any case, as an all-situations business type of scents, I like vetivers a lot. Vetiver smells fresh, slightly grassy, and natural. It's a classic masculine genre. Several examples, in mainstream the Tom Ford Grey Vetiver mentioned is good, as is guerlain vetiver. In more expensive territory, there's Chanel Sycomore, which is even more refined. Incidentally, note that some vetivers add soapy notes to enhance the cleanliness effect - though this is not in vetiver per se (and the ones mentioned shouldn't come off as soapy).

cacio
    If MS2015 likes Sycomore, her beau will grow to love it. The quality of that composition is on display when you wear it, but it's a little out there for some of us.

Budget is up to $200.

Thank you so much for the suggestions and advice! You all have been so helpful and also are indisputably the nicest people on any forum I've ever experienced

$200 is a pretty high budget. You will have access to a lot of niche as well. Sycomore, for instance, is <200 for the 75ml bottle (or course, when the fiancee starts billing those hours, he will have no problem replenishing with a 200ml bottle).

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by MS2015 View Post
    Thank you so much for the suggestions and advice! You all have been so helpful and also are indisputably the nicest people on any forum I've ever experienced
    This lot? You're too generous!

Quote Originally Posted by MS2015 View Post
    Budget is up to $200.
    You don't necessarily have to spend a lot to get a great perfume. For instance, if you do go the Vetiver route you can buy something like Sycomore for around that price, but you can also buy Encre Noire by Lalique for around $40, which some people actually prefer. Or a classic like Guerlain Vetiver for around $80 (albeit not the vintage juice).

All of those are great fragrances. Use your nose first, and find something that pleases you, and forget the sticker price.
    Currently wearing: Baque by Slumberhouse

If you hate the outdoors and you hate sports, maybe you are drawn to a bolder and spicier scented gentleman. Maybe you are the person who only eats the spicy roasted garlic rye chips in a bag of Gardettos. If this sounds like you, you might want to give him Jay Z's Gold Extreme ($95; macys.com) or Tom Ford Noir ($92 for 1.7 oz; nordstrom.com). I hate to pit Jay Z and Tom Ford up against one another since they are such good friends, but it wouldn't be an article by me if I didn't mention Hova at least once.

YSL L'Homme may be up his alley. You could also look into Mugler cologne for work. I'm sure you could get Green Irish Tweed, Origin Vetiver, Himalaya, Tabarome, any of the "waters" by creed for 120-200. If you get an inexpensive creed you could couple it with something designer like L'Homme.

Quote Originally Posted by ION-ONE View Post
    Tom Ford Grey Vetiver would be a good one. Very office appropriate, and a modern-classic
    +1!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Try PS by Paul Sebastian. Very manly scent.
    Wear what you want and don't listen to people who tell you that you didn't spend enough.

Frag Bomb Squadron XIII

You might want to try Dior Eau Sauvage Parfum. It smells 'aspirational' with an old school gentlemen vibe. But go easy on the trigger.
    Currently wearing: Sartorial by Penhaligon's

I would suggest Guerlain Homme L'eau Boisee. This is less fromal than TF Grey Vetiver but still an excellent masculine office scent. Available at reasonable price.