Code of Conduct

Question Carven Pour Homme 2014

I smelled this at Nordstrom's I loved it. What does all the Basenoters think about this???

Default Re: Carven Pour Homme 2014

Tried this recently also, and like you also loved it.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Plus

I can only speak to the vintage Carven Pour Homme. What I personally find most remarkable about this offering is its overall balance. As one studies this scent closely you get the impression that it would be horribly marred – and indeed likely suffer a wholesale collapse -- if there was one molecule more or less of any single ingredient. Obviously that not likely to be the case, but that is the impression. Just to focus on the wood elements, my best guess is that this is a blend of rosewood, Australian sandalwood, and cedar. Based on the original price, I assume that true mysore was not used. If this assumption is correct, Carven’s formula to recreate a realistic slice of mysore accord is very admirable and a secret not replicated by the many others who, unlike Carven in this example, set themselves specifically on the task of creating a santal themed scent. (God, do I despise so-called santals that smell like hamster cage cedar chips.) One can zero in on any major facet of the this fragrance’s makeup, or on the fragrance as a whole, and the concept of balance, balance, balance is inescapable and creates a smoothness that is totally comforting. I've got 4 bottles of the vintage in reserve, but it would be nice to know that new stuff is worthy as well.

Just blind bought that 2014 edition, thanks for this thread! I wasn't aware of that new edition (and was just looking for how to use a discount code I had around ). Big Carven fan here, their other Carven Homme from 1999 or so is fantastic.

My sales thread | Rare, discontinued & vintage stuff!

My fragrance reviews | Ye Olde Civet Cat
    Currently wearing: Jaïpur Homme by Boucheron

Power Where You Need It

For unknown reasons I've always thought this new Carven Pour Homme was just a rehash of the original Carven Homme. Glad to understand this is completely another fragrance…straight on my to-try list,

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Quote Originally Posted by schnozz View Post
    I can only speak to the vintage Carven Pour Homme. What I personally find most remarkable about this offering is its overall balance. As one studies this scent closely you get the impression that it would be horribly marred – and indeed likely suffer a wholesale collapse -- if there was one molecule more or less of any single ingredient. Obviously that not likely to be the case, but that is the impression. Just to focus on the wood elements, my best guess is that this is a blend of rosewood, Australian sandalwood, and cedar. Based on the original price, I assume that true mysore was not used. If this assumption is correct, Carven’s formula to recreate a realistic slice of mysore accord is very admirable and a secret not replicated by the many others who, unlike Carven in this example, set themselves specifically on the task of creating a santal themed scent. (God, do I despise so-called santals that smell like hamster cage cedar chips.) One can zero in on any major facet of the this fragrance’s makeup, or on the fragrance as a whole, and the concept of balance, balance, balance is inescapable and creates a smoothness that is totally comforting. I've got 4 bottles of the vintage in reserve, but it would be nice to know that new stuff is worthy as well.

Went way over my head.

Basenotes Plus

There's some chatter that the new one is like Creed GIT. Base on the top-rate historical performance of Carven, I pretty much view that as an insult.

There's no resemblance between Creed GIT & Carven Pour Homme.

Same here. Always thought it was just a reformulation of the original.
    Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    For unknown reasons I've always thought this new Carven Pour Homme was just a rehash of the original Carven Homme. Glad to understand this is completely another fragrance…straight on my to-try list,
    Currently wearing: Memoir Man by Amouage

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Zerby View Post
    Good to know, but seems like half the reviews here on BN and the other site raise the issue.

On my skin it smells like a more quality Grey Flannel.

I have a bottle of the vintage and it reminds me of Gucci Envy.

Green Irish Tweed was obviously the inspiration for this one. This smells like GIT with ginger, which is odd since ginger isn't listed as one of the notes... but that's what I'm getting. GIT with ginger. Maybe it's the nutmeg plus violet leaf playing tricks with my nose...

I can only speak to the vintage Carven Pour Homme.
    Vintage was "Carven Homme."

The new scent is "Carven Pour Homme." It's an entirely different scent with completely different notes in an entirely new bottle. It's like the difference between Gucci Pour Homme from 1976 and Gucci Pour Homme from 2003. Totally different scents. Using such a similar name is an easy way to create customer confusion.

Quote Originally Posted by Zerby View Post
    Are you SURE you're talking about Carven Pour Homme, not Carven Homme? I immediately get a similarity between GIT and Carven Pour Homme. I'm sitting here with a sample of it and a bottle of GIT. I sprayed 'em both to compare. The similarity is striking to me, though GIT is clearly superior.

Check your local Nordstrom for samples of Carven Pour Homme. The one near me had them along with samples of Carven Vetiver - but I didn't like that one at all.
    Last edited by L'Homme Blanc Individuel; 8th May 2015 at 07:57 PM.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

I found this one very nice. I can kind of see the Green Irish Tweed comparison, but not enough that it makes it redundant.
    Kiton Men smells closer to Green Irish Tweed, but again you can own both. Back to Carven Pour Homme, wore it today on a rainy day and it worked out nice.
    Found it a bit spicy, so I hope it works out in the heat.

I came across this the other day at my Nordstrom... I really like this also!!

This is an interesting scent for me. Surely well made and with a total respectable quality as most of Carven offerings. And the same way, it's undoubtedly "safe" and kind of generic - but that is what Carven's AD openly stated about this (I think they aimed at creating a safe everyday fragrance). But it is by no means overly boring. I think it's one of those generic scents which still deserve appreciation for being able to integrate subtle creativity, a decent quality and an extreme versatilty. The "creative" side here lies for example in a really pleasant sort of orange-floral whiff which you may miss at first, but it's definitely a pleasant and subtle "sign" of distinction. Then yes, it's all about (nice) woods and violet, so you can guess what to expect. Quite on the sweet side for me - and that's something I love, as I don't really enjoy overly dry woods. Actually I do get a connection with the previous Carven Homme, maybe they used it as a sort of ideal reference. On the contrary I don't get that similarty to Green Irish Tweed or Cool Water, just maybe a broad common ground which you can find in 70% of masculine scents. I admit it's been a while I didn't smell both but I think they both smell more "classic" (more mature, more "outdated" etc.) and more "barbershop" than this (oh, and a bit less sweet and less spicy, there's quite a bold nutmeg note in Carven).
    Last edited by Colin Maillard; 14th May 2015 at 10:31 AM.

My sales thread | Rare, discontinued & vintage stuff!

My fragrance reviews | Ye Olde Civet Cat
    Currently wearing: Jaïpur Homme by Boucheron

Quote Originally Posted by G.303 View Post
    I came across this the other day at my Nordstrom... I really like this also!!
    Do you think you might pick it up at some later date?
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Was in Nieman Marcus and tried this. Didn't think much of it at first - violet leaf and (later it hit me) nutmeg. But it wears so damn well even the wife was like "go back and buy it"...

Which I did. Not a projection beast, but longevity is pretty impressive.
    Hi, I'm William | My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
    But it wears so damn well even the wife was like "go back and buy it"...

Which I did.

I bought it today. Really a good sent. One of Kurkdjian's best ever.

Think I'll wear this for the first time tomorrow. Got the 1.7 OZ EDT along with the 3.4 OZ AS Balm for $53 in a gift set from Nordstrom.
    Current faves: Aventus, Green Irish Tweed, MFK Masculin Pluriel, Dior Homme Eau, TDH Parfum

Tried this about a week ago. While having liked it quite a bit, still enjoying the vintage vetiver most from this house, while having to still try the newly released/formulated vetiver to see how it matches up with the other fragrances available from this house.
    Currently wearing: Halston 1-12 by Halston

I will have to check this new one out

But of course the good old fashion Carven Homme is still a favorite of mine- tried and true - and at current prices stock up !!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CARVEN-HOMME...item233ba8a5a7

I am noticing similarities with Givenchy Gentlemen Only right off the bat. Not a bad thing.
    Current faves: Aventus, Green Irish Tweed, MFK Masculin Pluriel, Dior Homme Eau, TDH Parfum

To me the new Carven Pour Homme is a typical Kurkdjian's creation of last years in the style of Givenchy Gentlemen only, Guess Night etc. Generic in fact, though quite unique in this mediocrity.
    Watch my recent video review of
    Guerlain L'Homme Ideal - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-PW_V1G0aw